Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   WarCraft Lore Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The fate of Frostmourne? (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=5996)

Gortrash 02-08-2010 01:55 PM

The fate of Frostmourne?

So we got a first Lich King kill tonight by one of the best guilds on the server on 10-men so I was wondering, is this blade attached to the statue in the middle of Dalaran the real Frostmourne or some replica?

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6...0810231708.jpg

I know it seems odd that the Kirin Tor would leave a soul-stealing blade in the middle of the city for everyone to see and touch but still... Blizzard's awkward decisions know no bounds recently.

Also, below I'm including screenies from my guild's first night of attempts at the Lich King on 10-men (no, we didn't kill him). I'm sure most of you have already seen the Frozen Throne and know what's up there, but for those who haven't yet, be advised:

Spoilers! Click at your own risk!

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/419...0610220600.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5914/...0610220456.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2...0610220443.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/503...0610220424.jpg

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/295...0610235737.jpg

Rashid 02-08-2010 01:56 PM

That sword looks a little big to be the real thing, I think. Most likely it's a replica.

Drz 02-08-2010 02:00 PM

Congratulations!

Not to sound like the begging slut which i am, but any chance you could take more pictures of the actual statues? :p

Gortrash 02-08-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rashid (Post 178211)
That sword looks a little big to be the real thing, I think. Most likely it's a replica.

That's because I took the screenie with the camera on a very close close-up, that's why it looks very big.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drz (Post 178212)
Congratulations!

Not to sound like the begging slut which i am, but any chance you could take more pictures of the actual statues? :p

Aye, I will, later in the night when less people are online. Right now there are shitloads of noobs around it coming to see it, that you can barely see anything. :P

ScytheRexx 02-08-2010 02:08 PM

Frostmourne was shattered at the tip, but was still nearly whole otherwise. That is pretty much only the hilt with barely any blade left. Plus, it looks way to golden, though that might just be the light playing tricks on it.

Gortrash 02-08-2010 02:13 PM

Well, the whole statue is made of gold, so it only makes sense that the blade is golden too. As I said I'll take more screenies so you can have a pretty good idea of what you're looking at, but right now the center of Dalaran is fucking crowded.

Revenant 02-08-2010 02:19 PM

Maybe Fordring broke the rest of it before he shipped it off to Dalaran. Also, the whole thing may not be to scale, and just be made do people can see it.

Kalenvor 02-08-2010 03:02 PM

Well when Frostmourne was broken by Tirion it apparantly released all the souls that were trapped in it. If you go by the logic that once it's broken it can no longer hold/steal souls, I'd assume it's pretty much nullified by this point... that's not to say that it isn't an evil blade though. Some remnant of whatever entity was within the blade may still exist but I doubt they'd put the real sword there if Tirion had any doubts that it wasn't safe... It very well may just be part of the statue, though, that begs the question: What did they do with the real Frostmourne? Just leave it there? And for that matter, what about Arthas' body? It'd be pretty stupid to have just left it there... I mean if Bolvar ever cracks up and goes evil he'd have Arthas' body to raise as his first Scourge Commander.

Nimrodell 02-08-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalenvor (Post 178222)
Well when Frostmourne was broken by Tirion it apparantly released all the souls that were trapped in it. If you go by the logic that once it's broken it can no longer hold/steal souls, I'd assume it's pretty much nullified by this point... that's not to say that it isn't an evil blade though. Some remnant of whatever entity was within the blade may still exist but I doubt they'd put the real sword there if Tirion had any doubts that it wasn't safe... It very well may just be part of the statue, though, that begs the question: What did they do with the real Frostmourne? Just leave it there? And for that matter, what about Arthas' body? It'd be pretty stupid to have just left it there... I mean if Bolvar ever cracks up and goes evil he'd have Arthas' body to raise as his first Scourge Commander.

My thoughts r exactly the same. What happened with Arthas' body? Burned to ashes, in unmarked grave, frozen?

Ner'zhul is still out there alright, and who knows what'll become of Bolvar at the end... bah... puzzled.

Farsider 02-08-2010 06:28 PM

I'm curious as to what happens after the cutscene. Can you walk up to Bolvar inside the Frozen Throne, is the corpse still there, is Bolvar still chained up after the cutscene ends? Oh, and when does the cutscene start? Right after the fight, or do you have to talk to Tirion first?

Eylirria 02-08-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farsider (Post 178229)
I'm curious as to what happens after the cutscene. Can you walk up to Bolvar inside the Frozen Throne, is the corpse still there, is Bolvar still chained up after the cutscene ends? Oh, and when does the cutscene start? Right after the fight, or do you have to talk to Tirion first?

You can see on just about every killshot out there, Bolvar sitting on the frozen throne.

Slowpokeking 02-08-2010 07:22 PM

Do you guys remember, Ner'zhul showed some vision about Ashbringer and Frostmourne clash together? Maybe he knew it would happen.

Rolandius 02-08-2010 07:22 PM

Nothing says that the sword was an entity. Why is that always repeated?

Slowpokeking 02-08-2010 07:28 PM

Frostmourne. This at least he knew, and intimately. The sword whirled end over end, as if Arthas has tossed it into the air. A second sword rose to meet it—long, inelegant but powerful, with the symbol of a skull embedded in its fearsome blade. A name—“Ashbringer,” a sword and yet more than a sword, as was Frostmourne. The two clashed—

Arthas blinked and shook his head. The visions, tumbled, chaotic, heartening, and disturbing—were gone.

The orc chuckled, the painted skull on his face stretching with the gesture. He had once been named Ner’zhul, had once had the gift of true visioning. Arthas did not doubt that all he had seen, though imperfectly understood, would indeed come to pass.

Maybe Ner'zhul was not betrayed totally unware, but used Arthas for some purpose.

Mark_Romaneck 02-08-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowpokeking (Post 178242)

Maybe Ner'zhul was not betrayed totally unware, but used Arthas for some purpose.

One can only hope

Gurtogg_Bloodboil 02-08-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowpokeking (Post 178242)
Frostmourne. This at least he knew, and intimately. The sword whirled end over end, as if Arthas has tossed it into the air. A second sword rose to meet it—long, inelegant but powerful, with the symbol of a skull embedded in its fearsome blade. A name—“Ashbringer,” a sword and yet more than a sword, as was Frostmourne. The two clashed—

Arthas blinked and shook his head. The visions, tumbled, chaotic, heartening, and disturbing—were gone.

The orc chuckled, the painted skull on his face stretching with the gesture. He had once been named Ner’zhul, had once had the gift of true visioning. Arthas did not doubt that all he had seen, though imperfectly understood, would indeed come to pass.

And yet, the vision itself is faulty since it was the Corrupted Ashbringer that had the symbol of a skull on it. The Uncorrupted Ashbringer has a hand on it instead (probably in reference to the Silverhand), and the Corrupted Ashbringer never clashed with Frostmourne.

343 02-08-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil (Post 178250)
And yet, the vision itself is faulty since it was the Corrupted Ashbringer that had the symbol of a skull on it. The Uncorrupted Ashbringer has a hand on it instead (probably in reference to the Silverhand), and the Corrupted Ashbringer never clashed with Frostmourne.

Darion attempted to attack the lich king at the end of the DK starting chain with the Corrupted Ashbringer, so the vision could be about that.

Slowpokeking 02-08-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil (Post 178250)

Don't mess with details.
Ner'zhul said"And there's much more" since he could see what happened after Lich King awake, it's very possible that he knew Arthas' betrayal.

Gurtogg_Bloodboil 02-08-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 343 (Post 178252)
Darion attempted to attack the lich king at the end of the DK starting chain with the Corrupted Ashbringer, so the vision could be about that.

If I recall, Darion charged him but got tossed away. I didn't think the blades clashed, but if ever I guess it would have had to be then, though Frostmourne wasn't whirling in the air or tossed end over end before that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowpokeking (Post 178254)
Don't mess with details.
Ner'zhul said"And there's much more" since he could see what happened after Lich King awake, it's very possible that he knew Arthas' betrayal.

That’s a rather significant detail since it would depict entirely different times.

Its also possible to have visions of the future that are incorrect, or to only see small visions (as the ones that were shared with Arthas were). Look at Velen for example. He might see a glimpse into the future, but that doesn’t mean he knows every single detail of everything that’s going to happen ever.

Slowpokeking 02-08-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil (Post 178256)
If I recall, Darion charged him but got tossed away. I didn't think the blades clashed, but if ever I guess it would have had to be then, though Frostmourne wasn't whirling in the air or tossed end over end before that.

They can't show clear fight in game.

Gurtogg_Bloodboil 02-08-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowpokeking (Post 178258)
They can't show clear fight in game.

Arthas just showed up. His first physical act was to toss Darion away. Even if the blade's clashed then, there was no whirling and tossing of Frostmourne.

Slowpokeking 02-08-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil (Post 178256)

That’s a rather significant detail since it would depict entirely different times.

Its also possible to have visions of the future that are incorrect, or to only see small visions (as the ones that were shared with Arthas were). Look at Velen for example. He might see a glimpse into the future, but that doesn’t mean he knows every single detail of everything that’s going to happen ever.

Ner'zhul showed Arthas many visions, thus far, all of them are correct. The Nightmares, the attack of the Scourge, the war with Cthun. The Scarlet Crusade, the rebuilt of Silvermon.
The real Ashbringer's orb is very shinny, it could be possible that Arthas just thought it was a skull.

Slowpokeking 02-08-2010 09:19 PM

Or maybe, it could be something, that has not happened yet? COOL
That means Frostmourne will be reforged?

Nozdormu 02-08-2010 09:51 PM

I think the sword at the picture looks like the real thing...anyway, why would they have a replica?

HalfElfDragon 02-08-2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nozdormu (Post 178268)
I think the sword at the picture looks like the real thing...anyway, why would they have a replica?

Because a broken Frostmourne would be symbolic of the Lich King's defeat, but its an inherently bad idea to put an evil weapon on display.

Anyways, that's not Frostmourne. The colors are wrong, and it looks much bigger than Frostmourne ever was