Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Scrolls of Lore Playlist XVI: Lets get dangerous! (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=221201)

C9H20 05-04-2017 03:05 PM

Scrolls of Lore Playlist XVI: Lets get dangerous!

Right, I promised it will be up on Thursday and here it is. And people speak of delays, tsk, tsk, tsk. :-P

Alright, since it has been a while a quick word of explanation to newbies. SoL playlists are a tradition around here with the goal of expanding our musical tastes and letting us have some fun. It is quite simple, people send songs to the host and they mix them up into one playlist. Then people can guess who submitted what for fun or just enjoy the combined sound of SoL. Usually it is three songs and no restrictions but sometimes it is a specialty playlist, like this one.

Rules:
-The idea is to have a playlist that has more guessing than usual, a competitive guessing playlist that encourages, facilitates and rewards guessing.
-To facilitate this idea songs need to be somewhat non-random or people could pick songs so diverse they are near impossible to guess. The rule is all three songs need to have a common word. It could be a word from the title, a word from the lyrics, all songs have the same subject (they are all about love or sports or whatever), the same author (though this is ez mode obv.) or something similar. I will be the judge of the validity of the connection between the songs so make sure the word connection your songs have is decently obvious. If there is an issue I will let you know and we will tweak the submission until it is good.
-Send 3 songs connected by one word in the way outlined above.
-Send songs via PM to me, make the songs youtube links as that is what we're using and don't forget the keyword connecting your songs.
-To make the guessing meaningful at most 4 guesses per day are allowed.
-Each correct guess is 1 point.
-There is a bonus point for guessing the word connecting a person's songs. This is a guess like any other and costs you one of your 4 daily guesses.
-The guessing will last for 10 days or until all songs are guessed.
-The playlist will launch Friday 12th at 22:00 CET.
-Every day the playlist lasts I will confirm or deny guesses around 22:00 CET and that is considered the reset and allows for 3 more votes.
-A competition deserves a prize, I will try to negotiate with the powers that be to get the winner a custom rank and icon or failing that just a custom rank name. If the winner has a custom rank the reward can be deferred to a friend.

I think that covers everything but feel free to ask any questions you might have. Let the songs fly!

Here we go!

:grunt:SoL Playlist XVI:grunt:

Participants: Nazja, Kellick, Shaman, Kakwakas, Krainz, Aneurysm, Anansi, Hlaalu Style, Malygos, Ma Caque Attaque, Royal Pimp, Torch, Yaskaleh and me.

Guessed Songs:

Yaskaleh:
Beseech - My Darkness, Darkness
Sonata Arctica - In the Dark
HammerFall - Dark Wings, Dark Words
Keyword: Dark

Aneurysm:
David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes
Fatboyslim - Rockafeller Skank
Grand Funk Railroad - Some Kind of Wonderful
Keyword: Funk

Hlaallu Style:
Ronettes - Be My Baby
Tiger Army - Annabel Lee
Moody Blues - Eternity Road
Keyword: Eternity

Nazja:
Daft Punk - Human After All
The Pretenders – HUMAN
Rag'n'Bone Man – Human
Keyword: Human

Royal Pimp:
Fozzy - Judas
Five Finger Death Punch - Jekyll and Hyde
Skillet - Monster
Keyword: Inner Darkness

Shaman:
Masters of Reality - John Brown
Bob Marley - Mr. Brown
Van Morrison - Brown-eyed Girl
Keyword: Brown

C9H20:
Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit
Eric Clapton - Cocaine
Alice Cooper - Poison
Keyword: Drugs

Malygos:
Blackpink - Whistle (Korean)
Twice - TT (Korean)
Starcraft OST - Terran Theme 2
Keyword: Korean

Anansi:
Magica OST - Battle the Count
Vampire Music - Vampire Wings
Witcher OST - Detlaff's Grief
Keyword: Vampire

Ma Caque Attaque:
Pet Shop Boys - The Ghost of Myself
Radiohead - You and Whose Army
System of a Down - Question!
Keyword: Ghost

Torch:
Marillion - Go!
Fleetwood Mac – Landslide
Camel - Earthrise
Keyword: Earth/Land/World/Etc

Kakwakas:
Hank Williams III - 3 Shades of Black
Deltron 3030 - 3030
If These Trees Could Talk Thirty Six Silos
Keyword: Three (3)

Krainz:
Rival Sons - Pressure And Time
Franz Ferdinand – Jacqueline
Sugarcult - A Hard Day's Night
Keyword: Work

Kellick:
Joe Esposito - You're the Best
Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting
Tupperware Remix Party - Atomic Karate
Keyword: Martial Arts

Scoreboard:

Krainz: 20
Nazja: 18
Kellick: 6
Malygos: 6
Kakwakas: 3
Aneurysm: 2
Shaman: 1

Kakwakas 05-04-2017 03:09 PM

I'm trying really hard not to using the Darkwing Duck theme because of your title.
I don't get how the vague connection between songs helps anything.

BaronGrackle 05-04-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakwakas (Post 1581102)
I'm trying really hard not to using the Darkwing Duck theme because of your title.

And this is the reason I opened the thread.

Nazja 05-04-2017 03:16 PM

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-43991...Imgur-4XAw.gif

Kakwakas 05-04-2017 03:24 PM

I feel like I spammed the Song-A-Day thread so much that mine is going to be easy if anyone looks there. :I

Kellick 05-04-2017 03:30 PM

Oh-ho. Haven't had one of these in a while.

Let's see if we can't come up with something good, eh?

C9H20 05-04-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakwakas (Post 1581108)
I feel like I spammed the Song-A-Day thread so much that mine is going to be easy if anyone looks there. :I

Well you just made it even easier by saying that :P

Also guys as always it is helpful to bump the thread when you send songs by announcing your participation in a post. It helps keep the thread visible and more people may see and join.

EDIT: Didn't see your edit :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakwakas (Post 1581102)
I don't get how the vague connection between songs helps anything.

The connection helps because when one song is correctly guessed you can try and guess the association it might have with other songs, this gets even easier when two are guessed. Otherwise someone with an eclectic taste like me could submit Iron Maiden, Tchaikovsky and Jamiroquai and good luck putting that together.
It also helps narrow it down, you think Anansi might like a song and oh, it mentions spiders, right.

Though I am open to ideas on how to make songs less random while at the same time the criteria not so stifling that the songs are obvious or even worse, overlapping. It could be used for the next such playlist if and when it happens.

Anansi 05-04-2017 03:53 PM

Guessing is overrated and Friday is a 12.

Kakwakas 05-04-2017 05:06 PM

I'm torn between making one song one that's kind of a "hint" or just making it super hard for people to guess which ones are me.

Shaman 05-04-2017 05:10 PM

Does the artist's name count as a common word? Because I think I could come up with three decent songs that are linked by someone's first name being in the title/artist of the songs.

C9H20 05-04-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaman (Post 1581160)
Does the artist's name count as a common word? Because I think I could come up with three decent songs that are linked by someone's first name being in the title/artist of the songs.

Probably best if such spoilerific questions are asked via PM.

But since we're here, I think yes but the artists in question need to be relatively well known because otherwise it is asking a bit much of our participants to track down the names of all band members or all albums and so on.

Kakwakas 05-04-2017 05:43 PM

Aaaaand mine's already in.

Aneurysm 05-05-2017 12:28 AM

Nonane, you the real MVP.

I'm in, of course.

Royalpimp 05-05-2017 10:59 AM

Count me in. Just need to think of some songs now.

Aneurysm 05-06-2017 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C9H20 (Post 1581122)
Also guys as always it is helpful to bump the thread when you send songs by announcing your participation in a post. It helps keep the thread visible and more people may see and join.

Sent you a PM with my songs and the connection between them.

Krainz 05-06-2017 04:10 AM

Is it needed to post here if one's going to participate?

C9H20 05-06-2017 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krainz (Post 1581622)
Is it needed to post here if one's going to participate?

No, but as I've explained above it is very helpful.

Krainz 05-06-2017 05:04 AM

Mine's in

C9H20 05-06-2017 07:16 AM

I want to clarify a bit. If you're shooting for having the word appear in the lyrics it needs to appear at least a few times to be valid. It can't be some throwaway word that is hard or almost impossible to notice.

Aneurysm 05-10-2017 02:07 PM

Bump, because music is love, music is life.

Nazja 05-10-2017 03:13 PM

OK, sent my songs.

Shaman 05-10-2017 03:37 PM

Should submit some songs tonight once I am finished from the work-mines.

Royalpimp 05-10-2017 04:26 PM

Sent mein.

Ma Caque Attaque 05-10-2017 06:30 PM

YASSSSSSSSSS YASSSSSSSSS

brb grabbing a very ecletic mix!

Kellick 05-10-2017 07:35 PM

Scrambling to find a theme, and shipping them in as soon as I can.