Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   World of WarCraft Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Battle for Azeroth - The Official Thread (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=221323)

Afaslizo 11-04-2017 02:17 AM

I know that map but I do not put much trust in it as that encompasses a dwarven bunker full of ghosts and plagued southshore. Tactical value = almost zero. Good tactical points would be the Sepulcher - defensible location + ability to split off the main road half into Silverpine -, Chillwind Camp and Bulwark as chokepoints and the Dalaran crater because between that and the mountain range is a shore that might allow a suitable entry from the north.

In fact I would argue that Chillwind Camp and Bulwark in Alliance control equal control over Andorhal as well as that place is indefensible if they are in one hand.

Aram 11-04-2017 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyterran (Post 1608873)
The fact that blue map doesnt include most of Lordaeron is kind of worrisome.

It's not really a map, that was just quick animation that shows how blue take the EK
https://j.gifs.com/APPK8p.gif

Crazyterran 11-04-2017 02:31 AM

Well, hopefully the Alloance takes and holds the territory, and we dont get another screw job like Theramore was.

Aram 11-04-2017 02:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gif was shorted for some reason(

Mutterscrawl 11-04-2017 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aram (Post 1608875)
It's not really a map, that was just quick animation that shows how blue take the EK
https://j.gifs.com/APPK8p.gif

That's the problem though, while the red stuff for the Horde is Nelf territory, most of the blue stuff is land the Alliance already basically held

Aram 11-04-2017 02:51 AM

By the way, looks like launching point for Alliance in Southshore and in Gadgetzan for Horde (but it can be just schematic)

Aram 11-04-2017 03:12 AM

Music samples from previews: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...UE?usp=sharing

Crazyterran 11-04-2017 03:27 AM

Though, looking at the slides again, i dont think the Alliance will rebuild Capital City - just force the Horde out and retake the country. It has a giant necropolis underneath and we put even more holes in it, after all.

The Alliance side says the Undercity is indefensible, after all.

Patrick_C 11-04-2017 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurzog (Post 1608856)
The leak already stated that it starts with faction war then expansion ends with us killing nzoth or azshara or something. I dunno if azshara was he last boss of the first tier or not.

Which sucks, because they will start this huge ass war with massive casualties and then a few patches later some neutral (probably Magni) will show up wagging their finger at us for being such violent, hate-filled maniacs and then we will be forced to make nice with the guys that were massacring our allies just a while ago like nothing happened.

This is the part of the "Faction War" that is the most irritating. They go around "YEAAAAAHH, FACTION PRIDE!" and "IT'S NOT THE WORLD OF PEACECRAFT, YOU GUYS!", but they never stick to it and by the end of the expansion storyline find a cop-out to avoid making such a war have serious consequences.

I mean, twice now the Alliance has marched on a Horde Capital city, leveled all the defenses and reached the seat of power... Just to hand said city back to the Horde and go back to the status quo.

The faction war can work. It's not inherently idiotic. But it has to stick. I hope they deliver on those world changes.

Shadowsong 11-04-2017 04:01 AM

Since they said Azshara would be in the raid after Uldir, which is compared to Emerald Nightmare, then it would seem Azshara is comparable to where Gul'dan was in Legion. Which is disappointing to say the least for her. In any case, between Azshara's knocked off earlier and N'zoth's location being roughly between Zandalar and Kul Tiras (estimating off chronicles) I would wager that he will be the final boss of the expansion.

miffy23 11-04-2017 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fojar (Post 1608860)
That'd be shitty and lame.

It's the logical path for the story and entirely expected.
Not sure what you're expecting, 3 Tiers of "FOR THE ALLIANCE" while we fight random Ogre kings? The faction war is clearly just a set-up and will not lead to anything major.

Menel'dirion 11-04-2017 04:58 AM

Let’s see here:
Faction War Expansion - saw it coming. The build up was undeniable. You simply cannot have Sylvanas as War Chief without there being a war. On that note:
- Teldrassil burning: didn’t see that coming but I don’t think it’s a bad thing. It was never supposed to be grown in the first place. WC3 Night Elves neither had nor needed a capital. I expect some will help resettle Gilneas. I expect some will stay in Northern Kalimdor waging a guerrilla war on the orcs.
- Sack of Undercity: didn’t see it coming either. I’m happy for you Fojar. I truly hope you get to keep it. I dislike the idea of things constantly reverting to how they were. I think the Alliance should collapse the Undercity completely and start over from scratch.
- somehow I doubt they’ll take this opportunity to update the BC starting areas. They truly ought to. Especially with these Allied Races coming into play. Lots of opportunities there. On that note

Allied Races: I like the concept. Note, they haven’t outright said “subraces” which leaves the door open. I look forward to when they announce new ones as well. As for the ones we have:
- Lightforged: why? Why make even holier lightier Draenei? They add nothing we didn’t already have. I wanted TFT Draenei, Broken Rogues. Or if you feel determined to stick to this Eredar business, let me play an Eredar Warlock. Legion is defeated, I’m sure a few saw which way the wind was blowing. But no, I get even holier lightier Draenei.
- Dark Iron Dwarves: makes sense.
- Void Elves: awesome, and it makes sense. Blood Elves have the light, these guys bring the shadow. These guys are pretty high on my unlock list.
- High Mountain Tauren: why not?
- Nightborne: saw this coming. It makes sense. But I have little desire to play them. I thought I’d like them more. But I don’t.
- Zandalari: Hell Yeah! This is what I want.

As for splitting the Continents: bold move. I like it. I wonder where that leaves us for the future. Underground? Other planets? Not a lot of world left.

Deicide 11-04-2017 05:03 AM

Some thought after a good night of sleep:

Void Elves:

"Coming to the aid of a group of her kin who nearly gave in to the darkness, Alleria has vowed to train these Void Elves to control the shadows within them and pledge their newfound powers to the Alliance."

This is what the official page says. We know Alleria didn't bring any other elves with her in the Army of the Light, and we have no knowledge so far of a group of elves dabbling with the Shadow/Void in Azeroth. Then, I remembered Quel'lithien Lodge, and how the elves there were turned into wretched after finding an artifact "of seducive power".

Maybe such power was shadow-based?

Could the void elves be restored wretched?

Faction War:

Truth be told, I didn't expect all-out war at all. I knew there would be conflict, but I thought it would be border fights or racial tensions, not the entire Horde and Alliance at war, conquering continents and burning down cities. I don't know how I feel about that, seems like we did that already with Garrosh, and there's no good way for that to end.

I wish this expansion had another theme, even if faction war was featured heavily. Totally themed around factions? Not sure how it will hold. Look at how random the 2 initial raids are in relation to the main theme.

(I wonder what'll happen to the forsaken. Night elves will probably be fighting all over their forests, guerrila-style, but Forsaken don't really have where to go).

Reinhardt 11-04-2017 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARM3481 (Post 1608782)
Hypothetical pre-launch event quest:

"Lok'tar/Greetings, Highlord/Archdruid/etc. Word's come down from the Warchief/High King! In light of recent events, it's been discovered that your organization is infested with Horde filth/Alliance dogs. Time to prove your loyalty, champion. Time to make amends for the crime of saving us all by not wasting your time in PvP.

Kill them all. Your leaders command you to purge your halls of the traitors and enemies who saved us from the demons after we screwed up and executed the world's worst offensive ever at the Broken Shore, then kept the entire world from being destroyed by the Legion while we punched each other in the crotch over a bunch of worthless towers.

Do this thing, and you will have earned the trust of we, your faction, who keep demanding you do stupid stuff for us that undoes your previous accomplishments. Do this thing, and you'll have earned this pittance of gold, along with this blue item that will shortly become obsolete."

Rewards: 2G 25S 40C and Flimsy Wristguard of the Blindly Obedient Jackass.

Then halfway through the extension you get berated for fighting a pointless war while the real enemy is the VoidLords of Doom.

Deicide 11-04-2017 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhardt (Post 1608897)
Then halfway through the extension you get berated for fighting a pointless war while the real enemy is the VoidLords of Doom.

Then Thrall comes to save the day.

Patrick_C 11-04-2017 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deicide (Post 1608896)
Quel'lithien Lodge

Well spotted! It would be a nice development.

As for the dungeons and raids being all over the place, the impression I have is that everything is related to Old Gods directly or indirectly. I think in the end the "Battle for Azeroth" will be a battle for the Titan as N'zoth tries to either corrupt or kill her.

I mean... the world is bleeding all over the place.

Vexander 11-04-2017 05:40 AM

Quote:

Void Elves:

"Coming to the aid of a group of her kin who nearly gave in to the darkness, Alleria has vowed to train these Void Elves to control the shadows within them and pledge their newfound powers to the Alliance."

This is what the official page says. We know Alleria didn't bring any other elves with her in the Army of the Light, and we have no knowledge so far of a group of elves dabbling with the Shadow/Void in Azeroth. Then, I remembered Quel'lithien Lodge, and how the elves there were turned into wretched after finding an artifact "of seducive power".

I'm going to go with the Void Elves being Blood Elves. Quel'Lithien Lodge was ultimately purged. There aren't any wretched there left to be restored.

Jon Targaryen 11-04-2017 05:41 AM

-I like Allied Races better than sub-races. Mainly because they aren't tied to the main-races in a one-to-one way as far as game mechanics go. No need for shoe-horning. So far.
-I'd have preferred good old fashioned High-elves rather than the void stuff. I've wanted to play a High-elf Priest since RoC.
-Not sure how I feel about trading Lordaeron for Teldrassil. It would be worth it if we actually got Lordaeron, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
-That said, as a fan of the Old Alliance, if we actually took over the Eastern Kingdoms and had a reclamation of Lordaeron, Gilnaes, Alterac and Strom, I'd be ecstatic.
-Anyone else think that whoever did Sylvannas in the cinematic modelled her face on Tricia Helfer?

Deicide 11-04-2017 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick_C (Post 1608901)
Well spotted! It would be a nice development.

As for the dungeons and raids being all over the place, the impression I have is that everything is related to Old Gods directly or indirectly. I think in the end the "Battle for Azeroth" will be a battle for the Titan as N'zoth tries to either corrupt or kill her.

I mean... the world is bleeding all over the place.

I agree with that. Seems like the hidden theme of the expansion is the war against N'Zoth, but they are hiding it behind the main war theme. The problem I have with this is that there's no way an all-out war can end nicely. Only possible ends are one side being crushed (never will happen), a stalemate that leaves everyone hating everyone else or both sides lose and everyone feels like an idiot (and keep hating everyone else).

Aram 11-04-2017 05:49 AM

Quote:

Void Elves:

Most likely they are Blood Elves who saw how Alleria use the Void and (as a true BE should) they wanted to use this new source of power. Then they got exiled from Silvermoon for that.

Vexander 11-04-2017 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deicide (Post 1608904)
I agree with that. Seems like the hidden theme of the expansion is the war against N'Zoth, but they are hiding it behind the main war theme. The problem I have with this is that there's no way an all-out war can end nicely. Only possible ends are one side being crushed (never will happen), a stalemate that leaves everyone hating everyone else or both sides lose and everyone feels like an idiot (and keep hating everyone else).

I have a feeling that Blizzard is going to end this faction war with both sides winning. Basically, the Alliance will have the Eastern Kingdoms and the Horde will have Kalimdor. The two factions will then spend eternity glaring at each other from across the Maelstrom.

Deicide 11-04-2017 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexander (Post 1608906)
I have a feeling that Blizzard is going to end this faction war with both sides winning. Basically, the Alliance will have the Eastern Kingdoms and the Horde will have Kalimdor. The two factions will then spend eternity glaring at each other from across the Maelstrom.

Or, in other words, a stalemate.

Vexander 11-04-2017 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deicide (Post 1608907)
Or, in other words, a stalemate.

Arguably? It's a stalemate where both factions have gotten something they wanted. The Alliance wanted the Eastern Kingdoms, and the Horde wanted Kalimdor, and now both get it.

Mutterscrawl 11-04-2017 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexander (Post 1608906)

The only requirement there, is that they have to give the Nelfs and Forsaken some kind of followup.

Imo best option is for Nelfs to build in Gilneas, Western-Plaguelands, and Hinterlands, while Forsaken build up in Felwood and Darkshore and such.

Deicide 11-04-2017 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexander (Post 1608909)
Arguably? It's a stalemate where both factions have gotten something they wanted. The Alliance wanted the Eastern Kingdoms, and the Horde wanted Kalimdor, and now both get it.

I doubt the night elves will be happy for losing the lands they've been holding for thousands of years.

And, if Alliance does take the entire EK, I doubt the blood elves will be happy as well. The drive to go back and retake what's rightfully theirs will always exist.

That's a stalemate. Some victories, some defeats, ending in a unfulfilling way, and everyone wants still revenge for the losses anyway.