Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   StarCraft Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Legacy of the Void Speculation Megathread! (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=55938)

xie323 03-14-2013 12:31 PM

Legacy of the Void Speculation Megathread!
 

NOTE: Post spoilers too if Blizz reveals them!

What are your speculation for Legacy of the Void?

I think there will be an epic final battle, we have the Dominion regrouping after the fall of Mengsk and we have Kerrigan gathering her forces to face the Dark One. I don't want to only play as Protoss in the final battle. I want to command all three races with a supply cap of 800(200 for each race) against an army of Hybrids. I also want control of some old SC1 units as a farewell to the current storyline, which is all set to be wrapped up given the looks of things in WoL and HoS. I want to see Dragoons on the battlefield once more, I want to see Firebats fighting alongside Marauders, I want to see Kerrigan's Leviathan guarded by Battlecruisers and Carriers or a Protoss mothership fighting alongside Mutalisks. Through sadly this will not really happen, the other races will be AI controlled, there will be no nostalgia, and the final battle will not be that triumphantly spectacular.

There should also be more missions than HoS, perhaps along the lines of WoL with 25-30 missions. Have some missions all based on your choices, and since it's about diplomacy and politics, have some Civilization-style gameplay in there too.

RobLore 03-14-2013 12:39 PM

I hope it's not gonna be a WC3 style "Everybody unites in a giant orgy to fight the big bad guy" type of story.

Fordragon 03-14-2013 12:39 PM

Just like HotS was a total rehash of Thrall's shit in WC3, the next game will rehash the night elf arc in WC3 because Blizz is just putting new labels on the same shit smoothie you chugged down with a smile like the sycophant you are.

Anansi 03-14-2013 01:42 PM

I hope that we get to see the Protoss command bureaucracy in all its conservative, obstructionist glory.

I hope that we get to see more of the wonderfully schismatic and prideful cultural dramas that have always characterized Protoss history.

I hope that Ulrezaj doesn't turn out to be working for the Dark Voice all along, but what with Blizzard's recent trend of plot consolidation, I'm not very optimistic.

I hope that we get violent and persistent backlash against working with Kerrigan again after how well that worked out last time.

I hope Amon turns out to be a credible threat and not some mustache-twirling pantomime.

I hope Blizzard manages to make Tassadar's apotheosis feel less terrible than in Wings of Liberty (maybe even good? Crossed fingers).

I hope we get the Arbiter back and put the Mothership away forever.

I hope we get to see plenty of Protoss architecture and technology, because architecture is for the win and Protoss living conditions have always intrigued me. Not too worried about this one, honestly. Blizzard art team gets an A.

Leviathon 03-14-2013 02:12 PM

It'll probably start with Zeratul on Sharkuras being sentenced for helping the Queen of Blades (he mentions going back to Sharkuras to receive punishment on Zerus).

Omacron 03-14-2013 03:05 PM

I would not be surprised at all if the queen from the last Kaldir mission tries to infest Shakuras and an early mission is dealing with her shit: probably because that's the only reason you might have a PvT matchup in the game now that Kerrigan controls the rest of the swarm.

Crazyterran 03-14-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 664997)
I would not be surprised at all if the queen from the last Kaldir mission tries to infest Shakuras and an early mission is dealing with her shit: probably because that's the only reason you might have a PvT matchup in the game now that Kerrigan controls the rest of the swarm.

You mean PvZ?

And we can have plenty of PvZ with the Zerg Amon will end up controlling. Some random broods or whatever he's grown into a swarm.

Anansi 03-14-2013 04:35 PM

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the Protoss to clash with Kerrigan a few more times, even if Zeratul does insist she's redeemed now.

Does nobody remember what happened last time a wise and respected Protoss leader suggested that we trust Kerrigan?

Mutterscrawl 03-15-2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 664936)
I hope that we get to see the Protoss command bureaucracy in all its conservative, obstructionist glory.

I hope that we get to see more of the wonderfully schismatic and prideful cultural dramas that have always characterized Protoss history.

I hope that Ulrezaj doesn't turn out to be working for the Dark Voice all along, but what with Blizzard's recent trend of plot consolidation, I'm not very optimistic.

I hope that we get violent and persistent backlash against working with Kerrigan again after how well that worked out last time.

I hope Amon turns out to be a credible threat and not some mustache-twirling pantomime.

I hope Blizzard manages to make Tassadar's apotheosis feel less terrible than in Wings of Liberty (maybe even good? Crossed fingers).

I hope we get the Arbiter back and put the Mothership away forever.

I hope we get to see plenty of Protoss architecture and technology, because architecture is for the win and Protoss living conditions have always intrigued me. Not too worried about this one, honestly. Blizzard art team gets an A.

1. I think that'd actually be weird given how much shit they've been through, you'd think they'd have that together by now?

2. This would be nice, as a way of showing that they're moving past the obstructionist shit.

3. Ehhh that's the vibe I got from the novels.

4. Zeratul does mention he's turning himself in after all this is over since he gets how many more protoss he has let Kerrigan murder

5. YES

6. Ditto, less Jedi master.

7. Yeah, aesthetically not a mothership fan. I want the kind of weaponry the Protoss used to glass zerged planets back in SC1

8. I like most of it, but some things, like the Colossus and Reaver and Mothership, just never quite sit right with me.

I m 99% certain that we'll see the Broodqueen we saw in Heart of the Swarm though, Naidara or whatever her name was.

Her 'sole purpose' was to kill protoss, so she's pretty much slated as a minor antagonist unless she's turned against freaky protoss enemies in Amon's service.

Lon-ami 03-15-2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobLore (Post 664881)
I hope it's not gonna be a WC3 style "Everybody unites in a giant orgy to fight the big bad guy" type of story.

I'm sorry, but:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordragon (Post 664883)
Just like HotS was a total rehash of Thrall's shit in WC3, the next game will rehash the night elf arc in WC3 because Blizz is just putting new labels on the same shit smoothie you chugged down with a smile like the sycophant you are.

Will happen.

Anansi 03-15-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skytotem (Post 665516)
1. I think that'd actually be weird given how much shit they've been through, you'd think they'd have that together by now?

True enough, I suppose. Still, I miss Aldaris. :(

Porimlys 03-15-2013 12:52 PM

I must be missing something but how is Kerrigan anything like Thrall???

Anansi 03-15-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porimlys (Post 665942)
I must be missing something but how is Kerrigan anything like Thrall???

Well in the original game she was green...

Volkrin 03-15-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porimlys (Post 665942)
I must be missing something but how is Kerrigan anything like Thrall???

If I may repeat an observation I made in another thread: "We used to be bad, but our leader (who is actually a product of the humans) has decided we should be good. We also learned that a dark being with incredible power was manipulating us behind the scenes, and now we're going to fight them and get redeemed 'n shit. We did a lot of horrible things while under that being's control, but because everyone else needs us to fight them we're getting a 'get out of karma free' card. Also, even though we were initially introduced as a homogeneous mass slaughtering everything in our path at the behest of a supreme ruler, our default state is as wild and primal creatures who live in small pack structures where the leaders are decided by strength."

Who am I describing?

Porimlys 03-15-2013 02:27 PM

I have a hard time calling Kerrigan "good" even after this campaign. The Zerg are hardly choosing to be consciously good either, which was in the case of the new Horde where Thrall was teaching them his ideals. The Zerg are just doing whatever Kerrigan wants, I remember them questioning her decisions all the time but in the end they just throw up their hands (<3 Abathur) and say "hey, woah okay, you're the boss". Kerrigan was sending brood mothers to go fuck up whole planets on the regular, she slaughtered Protoss innocents, she was totally and wholly consumed by revenge. She's still ruthless, and though her humanity gives her an eye to see what she is doing, it does not stop her from doing it.

And sure she's going to stop the big bad nasties from taking over the universe, but is it because she's superman now or because she doesn't want her universe taken over?

I suppose I can see the similarities but I think "a total rehash of Thrall's shit in WC3" is a pretty inaccurate description of the HotS campaign. If she's analogous to anyone, it's Sylvanas.

Nerub29 03-15-2013 02:55 PM

I hope to see them using some or all of the following to advance the campaign tech tree, abilities and get special units:
  • Nerazim (dark templar) secrets of the Void, of the Xel'naga and their own mysterious dealings and philosophies;
  • Shelak relics and knowledge of Xel'naga and ancient Auir protoss from the pre-Aeon of Strife era;
  • New or previously forbidden inventions of the Khalai Caste being put to use;
  • Psionic techniques, martial arts and special units from monk-like orders under the command of revered Templar and Khala masters and Nezarim tribes and clans (like the Boros, Zer'atai, Lenassa and the Alyssar) in far off colonies or that we haven't explored in Shakuras;
  • resources from groups declared heretics by the Conclave that haven't been contacted in hundreds of years;
  • Stuff we discover or research during the campaign from Xel'naga and alien beings, places and mechanisms or from meditating into the Void and the memories in the Khala (through the help of a preserver);
  • Stuff from minor alien allied factions and terran groups (Umoja, Raynor's Raiders);
  • Stuff from creepy Dominion laboratory facilities (like Emil Narud's).

Also, I hope that in the inevitable novel about Zeratul's life, the authors leave spaces of his life open to imagination and make allusion but not explore certain events. Mainly to keep some of his air of mystery and the mystique of the character.

And after all, he's over 635 years old and so far has given the impression of been the type to be travelling and having seen a lot. Even if he spent many decades or centuries stuck doing repetitive or uninteresting stuff, he has probably experienced a rather large share of events. Trying to cram the entirety of those experiences in a single book could end up pretty badly (think of all that has happened since 1865 so far). And dissapointing too (don't ruin all of the mystery!).

In fact, I'm up for doing the oppossite: explore key events but suggest that he has taken part in many others that we won't know yet. Solve some questions but open a lot more!

Give us the essence, some good moments and only the hints of others!


Also, that they read and discuss the quotes of his character, before venturing into making grave mistakes of characterization.


Zeratul: Though we strike at you from the shadows, do not think that we lack the courage to stand in the light.


Aldaris : With all due respect, Zeratul, the Protoss do not run from their enemies. Aiur is our homeworld. It is here that we shall make our stand!
Zeratul: Just as your Conclave did? They are dead now, Aldaris, dead because they allowed their pride to blind their reason. Only if we learn from their mistake can we live to avenge them. Now, Executor, I know of a place where we can find solace. It is Shakuras, the secret homeworld of my people the Dark Templar.


Zeratul: Are you truly so blinded by your vaunted religion, that you can't see the fall ahead of you?


Zeratul: We will do what we must. But we do it for Aiur, not you!


Zeratul: [enraged against the Conclave] You speak of knowledge, Judicator? You speak of experience? I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities... Unto my experience, Aldaris, all that you've built here on Aiur is but a fleeting dream. A dream from which your precious Conclave shall awaken, finding themselves drowned in a greater nightmare.


Zeratul: Indeed. When I slew the Cerebrate on Char, I touched briefly with the essence of the Overmind. In that instant, my mind was filled with its thoughts, and I tell you now our worst fears have come true.


Dark Templar: Adun Toridas, Zeratul! Glad I am to see that you've returned home after these many decades. But the strange guests that have followed you here seem... ill-tempered.


Aldaris: You believe me to be a traitor, but it is you and the Matriarch who will usher our race to oblivion!
Zeratul: It is finished, Judicator. Surrender your remaining forces, and join us in eradicating the Zerg.
Aldaris: I would sooner die, dark one, than tarnish the memory of Aiur by joining with you.


Zeratul: You have done well, Kerrigan. There is more to you than it seems. Perhaps I have misjudged you.
Kerrigan: Given our past history, I can't say I blame you.


Zeratul: Matriarch, I have served you for many millennia. I have always valued your wisdom and strength. Yet lately, in your mind, I have sensed something that clouds your true spirit. Though Kerrigan has gone, I wonder if her treachery still remains?


Zeratul: Damn you, Kerrigan, for what I must do!
[he frees Raszagal]
Raszagal, Protoss Matriarch: Thank you, Zeratul... You have freed me from her vile control at last. You have always served me with honor... Thus I must ask you... to watch over my tribe... Into your hands I give the future.
[Zeratul kills her]
Kerrigan: I can hardly believe this! You've killed your own Matriarch!
Zeratul: Better that I killed her, than let her live as your slave, Kerrigan.
Kerrigan: Well, I have misjudged you, warrior. You are worthy, indeed. You are free to go.
Zeratul: What?
Kerrigan: I said, you are free to go. I've already taken your honor. I'll let you live, because I know that from now on; your every waking moment will be torture. You'll never be able to forgive yourself for what I've forced you to do. And that, Zeratul, is a better revenge than I could have ever dreamed of.
Zeratul: You will regret this decision, Kerrigan. We shall meet again.


And many more here:

http://samods.org/175
http://samods.org/node/195

Also, a character like Aldaris ("We shall overcome the entire Swarm with the might and the fury that is our heritage!").

Anansi 03-15-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerub29 (Post 666036)
Also, I hope that in the inevitable novel about Zeratul's life, the authors leave spaces of his life open to imagination and make allusion but not explore certain events. Mainly to keep some of his air of mystery and the mystique of the character.

And after all, he's over 635 years old and so far has given the impression of been the type to be travelling and having seen a lot. Even if he spent many decades or centuries stuck doing repetitive or uninteresting stuff, he has probably experienced a rather large share of events. Trying to cram the entirety of those experiences in a single book could end up pretty badly (think of all that has happened since 1865 so far). And dissapointing too (don't ruin all of the mystery!).

In fact, I'm up for doing the oppossite: explore key events but suggest that he has taken part in many others that we won't know yet. Solve some questions but open a lot more!

Give us the essence, some good moments and only the hints of others!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MYX8H_-Gw0&t=4m0s

Crazyterran 03-15-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porimlys (Post 666014)
I have a hard time calling Kerrigan "good" even after this campaign. The Zerg are hardly choosing to be consciously good either, which was in the case of the new Horde where Thrall was teaching them his ideals. The Zerg are just doing whatever Kerrigan wants, I remember them questioning her decisions all the time but in the end they just throw up their hands (<3 Abathur) and say "hey, woah okay, you're the boss". Kerrigan was sending brood mothers to go fuck up whole planets on the regular, she slaughtered Protoss innocents, she was totally and wholly consumed by revenge. She's still ruthless, and though her humanity gives her an eye to see what she is doing, it does not stop her from doing it.

And sure she's going to stop the big bad nasties from taking over the universe, but is it because she's superman now or because she doesn't want her universe taken over?

I suppose I can see the similarities but I think "a total rehash of Thrall's shit in WC3" is a pretty inaccurate description of the HotS campaign. If she's analogous to anyone, it's Sylvanas.

She was fucking up key dominion installations/bases, so that Mengsk wouldn't have a big fleet/army coming to save him.

xie323 03-16-2013 01:55 PM

There's been this idea floating around the Internet that the final battle won't be until Starcraft 3.

Thoughts? I disagree. I think it is very likely the fight with Amon, and the Starcraft storyline will conclude with SC2. Look at it, Blizzard is resolving their current storylines before Titan--which perhaps is a clean slate.

WoW: 2 more expansions left
SC2: 1 more expansion left
Diablo: 2 more expansions left at least

Sonneillon 03-16-2013 05:49 PM

We in, the universe is saved... whoopidy dingle dork.

Porimlys 03-16-2013 05:57 PM

I think it would be stupid if they didn't do anything more with the franchise.

Anansi 03-16-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porimlys (Post 667191)
I think it would be stupid if they didn't do anything more with the franchise.

I do too.

Cemotucu 03-16-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porimlys (Post 667191)
I think it would be stupid if they didn't do anything more with the franchise.

There's a whole galaxy out there. There's the UED, and who knows how many other alien races? I can easily see a 4th race in a future SC3, for example.

SmokeBlader 03-16-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cemotucu (Post 667193)
There's a whole galaxy out there. There's the UED, and who knows how many other alien races? I can easily see a 4th race in a future SC3, for example.

And a new planet called Azeroth owned by a demonic legion :P

Now we can have a Chaos Marine equivalent, Fel Marines!

Mshadowz 03-16-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xie323 (Post 666986)
WoW: 2 more expansions left
SC2: 1 more expansion left
Diablo: 2 more expansions left at least

More like

WoW: As many expansions left as they can make money from, that being a lot. WC4 may even be a possibility someday too, as well as countless rpgs.
SC2: 1 more expansion and possibly a SC3 in the next 30 years.
Diablo: 1-2 more expansions if they sell, which they probably will, maybe a D4 in the next 50 years.

Blizzard has said Titan will not effect their other games, and I believe them. If they had to shut down their other works just to get a new one started they wouldn't bother with a new one.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.