View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 09:58 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Good, they'd probably start in Merulos it'd have access to that kind of stuff, possibly somewhere in Nulawa for their main settlement, though that area I picture as having a sort of Persian feel to it.

When you say 'port in' though, did they teleport in a castle from somewhere else / the past or rewind some castle ruins or just settle in an existing place or what?
Yeah basically rewinding time to when a ruined castle was prosperous and fully garrisoned. For dramatic effect the past-castle is brought back from the dead of winter to the middle of summer, so it's ominously ringed by a perfect circle of snow and ice. I picture it a bit like Doctor Strange where you can "flip" through time and stop it at the point you want.

I imagine the people from the past in the castle are pretty bewildered. But they really wouldn't have much choice but to tow the line when they learn that not only have their empires and kingdoms fallen, but they are stuck in the future with no (apparent) way back. Not sure what the effects of time travel would have on mortals in this setting. Mild nausea? Total dissociation? Instant death? In any case, at least some of the folks from the past join up with the cultists and in many cases end up being the most fanatical among them. There could be an elite regiment called the Timeless or Unstuck made up of "time-travelers" the cult has recruited from different eras and cultures. They want to go around the world and shift forward all the greatest cultures, empires, armies, cities, fortresses, etc. that mankind has ever known. It's like if someone on Earth decided to bring back some Roman legions, an army of Samurai and their castles, the Library at Alexandria, some Spartan phalanges, Rome at its height, Constantinople at its height, English longbowmen and their castles, maybe some Janissaries, restore the entire Great Wall of China, etc.

On a meta-narrative note, I just like the idea of humans being the ones to mess with time. In a lot of settings it's crazy magic people (elves and what have you), a giant sandworm's digestive byproduct, dragons, super advanced aliens, cosmic spider beings, gods and deities, etc. It sort of plays into the classic narrative of men seeking extended longevity or immortality at the expense of their soul/morality/essential goodness.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.