View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 08:14 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
But in all seriousness, the diary only covers the development of the original game, so it only speaks of their (as in the team developing the original) vision and design, not of the modern design. And when it comes to the blood elves on the Horde, they revealed that was essentially a top-down decision, something most of the team did not particularly like and something Metzen specifically never, ever got over.
The team backed themselves in the corner with that though. When you design two elf races and then decide that the night elves get Alliance, but don't necessarily want two elf races for Alliance, then don't be surprised or bitter that blood elves go to the Horde. All of this just requires a little forethought.

Of course, many of my issues stem from how a lot of lore issues could have been prevented from not bothering with the two faction system. Instead of being worried about having two develop two races and their various assets simultaneously, they could have just focused on developing one new race.

So let's imagine this for a second. No factions. Starting races: orcs, tauren, trolls, night elves, humans, dwarves, and gnomes.

Burning Crusade: Blood Elves.
Wrath of the Lich King: Forsaken.
Cataclysm: Goblins.
Pandaria: Pandaren.
Warlords of Draenor: (non-retconned) Draenei.
Legion: Eredar?
Battle for Azeroth: Worgen?

Of course the nature of abandoning a two faction system likely would have invalidated the plot of these prior expansions. But hopefully this nevertheless illustrates my point. There is no way, of course, that Blizzard could have anticipated how large and persistent WoW would have been so it's not necessarily something they could have planned. But I would still have preferred something that would have permitted more reasonable lore choices.