View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 05:21 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
The decision to cut the high elves came way before the introduction of the faction system, though. Staats stresses that Blizzard was pushed to the ends of their limits with World of Warcraft (apparently, the development nearly tore the company apart, and many were left burned out), and with resources scarce, the last thing they wanted to do was to do two very similar races at once.

The high elves were the first to be cut from the original pool of ten races (humans, high elves, dwarves, orcs, tauren, night elves, goblin, naga, undead, demons). Then came the demons and the naga, both because the workload to make them work animation/model/item wise was thrice the other races. Then finally the goblins, mostly because the team wanted them to be very scifi/steampunk, yet felt all these assets could not be really utilized elsewhere. The producers also wanted to cut the undead at one point to save resources, but the rest of the team blocked that.
Sure, but blood elves could have been introduced later much like some of the other cut races listed. In fact, without a faction system, they could have cut back their workload even more since there would be less need to work around faction-based symmetry. Less work making redundant quest chains. Less work having design more zones per faction.

I also can't help but get the feeling from all this background info that some of the designers have poor tastes and give zero shits about lore, story, or game immersion. It's mostly "rool of kool" with unironic misspellings.

Quote:
I agree, but the diary makes a point that Blizzard believes that the faction system, while not lore friendly, made for a better and more successful game, and I am not sure if they are wrong on that (though impossible to say definitely).
I am not discounting that WoW is a vastly more popular game and two faction tribalism may have contributed to that success when I say this, but I do think that GW2 has made for a more enjoyable game for my preferences. And that lack of a faction system contributes greatly to those ends. I am never faced with the prospect of wondering whether I can play with my friends based upon the race of my character. And I can play any race-class combination as well. The community itself is considerably less hostile and toxic, and the usual faction-based arguments/whining encountered here or in the story forums are completely absent in the GW2 community. As I enjoy community-engagement/discussion as part of my gaming experience, that leads to a generally more pleasant environment. And while WoW would not be the game that it is today without that faction system, on the flip side, it would not be the game that it is today. So I definitely wonder how this game (and its communtiy) could and would have developed without this need for a faction-based game structure and metaplot.