View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 11:46 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
I don't think it is that anarchically. Words aren't like using violence against one another.
All speech is power, and all power can be used destructively.

Quote:
A lot of people think science expands upon so many of their personal pet peeves that it is ridiculous. There are so many things that are called science that shouldn't be simply because it gives it this dogmatic sense of authority that it shouldn't have. It only makes people less open to contrary views when they think something clearly unscientific is science.
Reason transcends what you think of as science, and is not beholden to consensus. That's my point.

Quote:
I don't think the consensus was ever that slavery was fine. They were always a minority. Slavery wasn't abolished because 'science' said it was wrong. It took a lot of political maneuvering, a war, and an occupation. It was action and more results based skill than someone's simple belief.
By 'minority,' are you referring to a 'minority of humans on the planet?' A 'minority of American citizens?' A 'minority of slaveowners?'

But I agree, it wasn't belief alone that changed the hegemony. It was a bloody and horrific war and its grisly aftermath.

That doesn't change my point, of course, which was that slavery didn't stop being wrong as soon as the majority agreed it was wrong. It didn't stop being wrong as soon as a war was fought and all slaves ordered to be released by law. It didn't stop being wrong after any milestone of human progress. It was ALWAYS wrong, from the very start, and just because a consensus agreed for awhile that it was okay, that consensus did not change the fact that it was NOT.
Quote:
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.