View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 08:40 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
It's admittedly hardly limited to WoW, but there's this weird "thing" in fantasy that's often taken me out of the story where for some reason a violent and larcenous criminal can declare himself as such and bizarrely be tolerated by everyone if he just calls himself an adventurer at the same time. As if being a violent felon is somehow endearing and cute. Such character archetypes in fantasy will often outright introduce themselves to prospective allies and heroes by identifying as a thief or assassin who preys on society at large and nobody's response is "then why the hell are we recruiting this guy and not arresting him and sparing everyone from being murdered and/or robbed by him? Consequently the idea of the "rogue" just feels wholly game-based on a level that other classes don't, so whenever a character addresses the player as as rogue, it comes across as artificial and fourth-wall-breaking to me.
I've felt that applies even more to Warlocks. In the original lore it was outright stated that the Legion feeds them power to corrupt them and use them as a 5th column. Even disregarding that they are sorcerers who dabble in the darkest magics and cavort with demons in plain sight. They drain souls and use them for their rituals and seem to seek the most painful ways to kill their enemies, their magic inevitably drains the land of all life... and the list goes on.
Not sure how relevant that is these days, probably not too much since Blizzard wants all players to feel powerful and so the warlocks control demons and never the other way around. The fantasy is that you dabble with the most powerful and corrupting of magics but you are strong enough to remain in control.

Anyhow you'd expect warlocks to be hunted by mobs wherever they showed their face. They are not just outlaws like rogues but outlaws that commit horrific magical sins. Same goes for DKs. DHs too probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
I'm not sure it's meant to be a "defanging of the night elves," per se. It feels more like a symptom of the game bleeding into the story. The Alliance excerpt has all the hallmarks of trying to appeal to the fanservice sensibilities of people who play the game. Thus we have rogues who aren't just really skilled; the methodology of how they're portrayed makes them effectively inserts for "the player" as we exist in the game, effortlessly chopping apart a bunch of nameless soldiers before vanishing unscathed, then bumping off the enemy's poorly defended hierarchy of officers as they're in the midst of their own armies.

Why? Not because the night elves are specifically meant to appear weak or inept, but because it's representative of how these things work when the player is doing them in the game. It comes across like an outright transplant of how we defeat enemy armies via quests. The only thing missing was the blood elf rogue being shown grabbing a dozen of something scattered around the night elf camp and dousing a half-dozen braziers of some sort between killing Sentinels.

Which is a problem in and of itself, albeit a different problem. And I can't help thinking it might be intentional. Marketing-wise Blizzard may well think it's great to lace stories with blatant reminders of the meta-game regardless of how it can adversely affect the flow and feel of the stories themselves.
Yeah I agree, just how I said that the Warlock fantasy is that you are a powerful sorcerer who can dabble with the most powerful and horrible entities and come out on top the Rogue fantasy is being able to sneak in and out of any place and butcher anyone in a jawdropping display of skill.