View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 11:39 AM

Sha of Disappointment

SO. "Gender-neutral lense".

Alright. First things first - 1.) the heart is in the right place and 2.) we don't know yet what that's going to mean (roles being cast gender-neutral going to the best actor, transsexual actor etc, we don't know yet; if the character is going to be involved with another one by default they might end up gay or bi, too). Shit's fine for now. Don't fucking panic.

But.

And tis' a big but.

Fuller's work worries me. And i am worried about continuity.

Here's the thing: unless you throw the Starfleet-theme out the window there's little to nothing to tell a story with gay or transsexual characters in Star Trek. Being gay isn't supposed to be a social stigma in the 23rd and 24th century (and i certainly hope we're seeing the 25th anyway, screw prequels. Btw, Fuller jossed the one rumor about the show taking place after Undiscovered Country, but realistically that could mean just about everything). People are gay or bi. Whoopdifuckingdo, Starfleet isn't going to give a shit. Great for representation, but you can't tell a special story with it, at which point the entire thing runs the risk of looking like you put a gay in for the sake of putting a gay in.
Well, okay, at least you can tell a standard falling-in-love-story with a gay couple. That's fine, right? Right.

The bigger problem would be a transsexual character.
We're already finding biological markers for transsexuality; brainwave patterns that fit the preferred gender, DNA irregularities, hormonal imbalances if i understand correctly... my optimistic guess is that we can probably scan for transgenderism in a couple decades. Add to that the awesome healthcare in that society, and what it can do; by the time of TOS you're likely given the choice of several alternatives, ranging from "curing" your brain to a genetic sex change instead of the clunky hormonal one we have to use, and from what we've seen of the Federation's medical science in regards to surgery changing your sex visually for a testrun is probably a busy afternoon for the ship's CMO at worst.
Sure. Today, in RL modern times, it can still take decades until you realize something's wrong with you, and potentially even longer until you know WHAT is wrong with you (and in the wrong country the only available treatment might kill ya from a heavy dose of stoning). But in Star Trek? With all those nifty non-issues, all that medical science, psychiatrists on the fucking bridge and available to absofuckinglutely everyone... how the hell's is transsexual going to enter Starfleet without being diagnosed and offered help before they even set foot into the academy? Transsexuality is a non-issue in Star Trek. You cannot tell a relatable story unless you break continuity and MAKE it an issue. I am HIGHLY fucking worried that they're going to put in a transgendered character just for the sake of having a transgendered character, and i DON'T fucking want that kind of representation, thank you very fucking much. Best case scenario: one character is trans, and it's never used as a plot point. Worst case scenario half the cast pulls a Hannibal and turns bisexual because it's the hip thing to do this summer.