View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 09:22 AM

Critter

PvP Symbol - Alliance

World of Warcraft Cinematic Quest Guide
Northrend Atlas

I first started playing World of Warcraft starting with the vanilla release back in 2005 - the "good old days".

When Wrath of the Lich King came out in late 2008, I was entering college. It had to be my last expansion and I'd have to say goodbye to Vikstone, my sole character from the beginning. My guild and I were pretty big on lore and writing fan-fiction. I wanted to create something that introduced the starter zones of Northrend and guided newcomers to the lore in a way they weren't used to - by taking screenshots of my character doing quests, completing objectives, and portraying the world through cinematic form.

I made the decision to make this "guide" a little greater in scope at the start of 2009. I would go through every quest on the Alliance side (in my first play-through) for each zone and take screenshots to capture my Night Elf Warrior's evolution to level 80. At the same time, I was able to take many screenshots of my friends from Trinity (now defunct) and various strangers on the Terokkar server who helped me through the party and elite quests.

Boss Fights and Guest Appearances

It took 22,000 screenshots from Borean Tundra to Icecrown. Difficult is an understatement. Knowing absolutely nothing about website design and how I was to present this content, I had to post-pone the project due to studies (med school). Every screenshot taken is 100% real, in-game, and unedited, with the exception of cropping.

On July 4th, 2014, I rebooted my website, www.gamesportsrealm.com, and went to work on building these pages. I made a promise to my guild and I didn't like leaving things undone. Over 1000 pages later, I am happy to say that I am ready to release the World of Warcraft Cinematic Quest Guide and Northrend Atlas, which depict major moments in Warcraft lore.

It's been nearly 7 years since this expansion came out but I did it to immortalize my friends and the WoW community as it once existed. The quests are designed in a way similar to WoWHead but with a twist. Anyone can now watch the entire story of WotLK play out from his or her browser by going through these quests, literally as they happened live back in 2008-2009.

My character, Vikstone, is simply the quintessential protagonist who sets out on a journey to exact the seemingly impossible task of revenge against a demi-God. And these are his trials and tribulations. I've had many inspirations - Samurai Jack, Mace Windu from the novel Shatterpoint, and Kratos from God of War, to name a few!

I wish for this project to become the ultimate media resource for people who missed this part of WoW's lore. It follows the journey in a chronological format and even contains quests that Blizzard has long since removed from the game.

If I could describe it in one sentence, it's like an online graphic novel. Hardly anyone plays the old quests and there are so many resources and in-game mods that absolve the need for a "guide." However, there's nothing quite like the lore in WotLK and it's the story that I wanted to capture - permanently. I've always seen this era as the golden age in World of Warcraft. Please check it out, might bring back some nostalgia.

Below are my personal favorite quests to jog your memories. Some of you may remember them:

73. A Righteous Sermon
72. The Truth Shall Set Us Free
72. Frostmourne Cavern
74. The Battle For The Undercity
74. Escape from Silverbrook
75. Dun-da-Dun-tah!
78. Reclamation
75G3. Wanted: Ragemane’s Flipper
76. Betrayal
76. The Storm King’s Vengeance
77. Rampage
78. Know No Fear
78 Daily. Overstock
80. Going Bearback
80. The Drakkensryd
80. Krolmir, Hammer of Storms
80. The Reckoning
80. In Memoriam
80 Daily. Thrusting Hodir’s Spear
80. The Master Explorer
80. The Brothers Bronzebeard
80. The Iron Colossus
78. The Purging Of Scourgeholme
80. Hope Within the Emerald Nightmare
80. Dahlia’s Tears
80 Daily. The Solution Solution
80G5. Before the Gate of Horror
80G5. The Guardians of Corp’rethar
80G5. Battle at Valhalas: Final Challenge
80. Army of the Damned
80. The Black Knight of Westfall?
80G3 Daily. Threat From Above
80. The Hunter and the Prince

There were a lot of quests in Wrath of the Lich King. If you want to see a particular quest, simply use the site's search bar on the left-hand side. Everything is still in its early stages and I took a break recently to prepare for exams. I have a couple of other projects on the horizon. There is a lot of work left to do on my site and I'm an amateur. It's a work in progress.

Please share it with all your friends from back in the day. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.