Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: Which of these allied race combos would you prefer?
Vrykul (A)/MU Clans (H) 11 28.21%
Kul Tirans (A)/MU Clans (H) 16 41.03%
Kul Tirans (A)/AU Clans (H) 9 23.08%
Vrykul (A)/AU Clans (H) 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2018, 05:50 PM

Glaive Thrower

So far allied races=subraces, meaning they're offshoots / extra costumisation options for base races. Theyre just avoiding the term subrace because well, it sounds gross.

So far we have additional costumisation for troll, elves, tauren, orc, draenei and dwarves. The fact that the zandalari and nightborne silhouette is different than their respective base race only means Blizz is open to adding body types as a costumisation option that is different from e.g. a slider, but is still feasible

thinking along these lines, i'd call vulpera, nerubian, naga, etc very unlikely to be added as allied races. they are full blown entirely different races from the base. of course, the developers may change their minds anytime about this, as allied races require less resource (no whole starting zones).

but thats not the direction theyre going atm
So what IS feasible within the confines of the whole subraces deal are broken, different kinds of humans (thin, big, proper PoC finally, and vrykul i guess), gnomes, more dwarves, more undead options, more troll (berserker models), and thats about it if we follow logic, but asspull void elf-like possibilities are definitely up there sadly. lava goblins, idk

i just wouldnt expect either furbolg or jinyu as an allied race anytime soon is all Im saying
Old 02-16-2018, 05:00 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexxar View Post
So far allied races=subraces, meaning they're offshoots / extra costumisation options for base races. Theyre just avoiding the term subrace because well, it sounds gross.

So far we have additional costumisation for troll, elves, tauren, orc, draenei and dwarves. The fact that the zandalari and nightborne silhouette is different than their respective base race only means Blizz is open to adding body types as a costumisation option that is different from e.g. a slider, but is still feasible

thinking along these lines, i'd call vulpera, nerubian, naga, etc very unlikely to be added as allied races. they are full blown entirely different races from the base. of course, the developers may change their minds anytime about this, as allied races require less resource (no whole starting zones).

but thats not the direction theyre going atm
So what IS feasible within the confines of the whole subraces deal are broken, different kinds of humans (thin, big, proper PoC finally, and vrykul i guess), gnomes, more dwarves, more undead options, more troll (berserker models), and thats about it if we follow logic, but asspull void elf-like possibilities are definitely up there sadly. lava goblins, idk

i just wouldnt expect either furbolg or jinyu as an allied race anytime soon is all Im saying
I do think vulpera is likely at this point. Not only they reuse assets (based on goblin), have high quality models and got instantly popular, but they'll also be explored in-game as part of the themes of the expansion, so they'll have their own lore without requiring a starting zone (seem like the Horde is going to save them from slavery).

The fact that so far allied races have been only subraces means little when the devs themselves said in interviews that these are not subraces, and that they are not bound to be related to existing races.

That said, vulpera is, so far, the only likely non-subrace to be added.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 02-16-2018, 07:13 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

The only way I'd be comfortable with playable Vulpera is if the Alliance get Furbolgs.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:33 AM

Arch-Druid

vulpera allied race please
Old 02-16-2018, 08:45 AM

Arch-Druid

I'm neither in favor nor against vulpera.

Particularly, I hate that every expansion has to have some new half-animal humanoid, as most of them end up uninteresting and barely developed. The only exception that I really liked so far were the Arakkoa, all the others (furbolg, tuskarr, wolvar, saberon, ginyu, hozen) are little more than gimmicks.

In the case of the vulpera, they are a new race, they are in the right position to get lore, their story seems very well positioned to ally with the Horde, they have an aesthetic that has not been featured in playable races so far. All these favor them as playable.

I don't expect to like them, but they are clearly popular, so I'm not against them becoming playable, so long as it does not become a trend and we end up with Horde and Alliance as beastmen zoos.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:44 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Why ask for furblog if you could ask for glorious gnolls?
Old 02-16-2018, 11:02 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Kul Tiras is (was) in the Eastern Kingdoms, hyenas have new models, there's a hyena mount--and yet they update quilboar instead of gnolls. It's a weird decision to me.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:16 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
I'm neither in favor nor against vulpera.

Particularly, I hate that every expansion has to have some new half-animal humanoid, as most of them end up uninteresting and barely developed. The only exception that I really liked so far were the Arakkoa, all the others (furbolg, tuskarr, wolvar, saberon, ginyu, hozen) are little more than gimmicks.

In the case of the vulpera, they are a new race, they are in the right position to get lore, their story seems very well positioned to ally with the Horde, they have an aesthetic that has not been featured in playable races so far. All these favor them as playable.

I don't expect to like them, but they are clearly popular, so I'm not against them becoming playable, so long as it does not become a trend and we end up with Horde and Alliance as beastmen zoos.
What do you prefer more animal people or elves?
the correct answer is animal people
Old 02-16-2018, 11:35 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Because as an "allied race" they already have strong ties with the Night Elves and Draenei.

Honestly I consider them to be in a similar space to the Jinyu and Broken, small amounts of them are already part of the Alliance, just not enough to be playable. Other races in the game like that are the Dark Iron Dwarves (who're becoming playable soon), the Revantusk trolls, Hozen, Goblins in the Horde prior to Cata and Ogres. It seems like Allied Races are Blizzard allowing these groups with small populations to finally be playable.

Last edited by Omacron; 02-16-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Old 02-16-2018, 12:05 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
What do you prefer more animal people or elves?
the correct answer is animal people
I prefer races that have solid lore.
I never asked for more elves, just elves that already existed in lore.

I think beastmen are lazy. They usually have interesting visuals, but piss-poor lore.

The exceptions, like the Arakkoa, are always a good surprise, but usually I'm right on them.

So, I hope the vulpera get good lore. That's all that they need to be a good addition in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Because as an "allied race" they already have strong ties with the Night Elves and Draenei.

Honestly I consider them to be in a similar space to the Jinyu and Broken, small amounts of them are already part of the Alliance, just not enough to be playable. Other races in the game like that are the Dark Iron Dwarves (who're becoming playable soon), the Revantusk trolls, Hozen, Goblins in the Horde prior to Cata and Ogres. It seems like Allied Races are Blizzard allowing these groups with small populations to finally be playable.
Furbolg fall for me in the same category as most beastman.

That said, if the Alliance needs some furred people, then furbolgs are the best choice. I'd like to see Blizzard use the worgen model (due to stance/animations) as the base for them.

Last edited by Deicide; 02-16-2018 at 12:10 PM..
Old 02-16-2018, 12:32 PM

Loremaster

It continues to be laughable that people think joining a player faction is somehow good for a race's lore.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:36 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I prefer races that have solid lore.
I never asked for more elves, just elves that already existed in lore.

I think beastmen are lazy. They usually have interesting visuals, but piss-poor lore.

The exceptions, like the Arakkoa, are always a good surprise, but usually I'm right on them.

So, I hope the vulpera get good lore. That's all that they need to be a good addition in my eyes.

Furbolg fall for me in the same category as most beastman.

That said, if the Alliance needs some furred people, then furbolgs are the best choice. I'd like to see Blizzard use the worgen model (due to stance/animations) as the base for them.
furbolgs are bears I think they iser panda model
Old 02-16-2018, 03:25 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
furbolgs are bears I think they iser panda model
The only thing they have in common is that they are bears. Posture, proportions, snout, everything is different between pandaren and furbolgs. Pandaren model is too civilized and fat to portray the furbolg.

Worgen may not have the right proportions, but the feral posture works like a charm. The furbolg would need bigger body, specially arms, thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
It continues to be laughable that people think joining a player faction is somehow good for a race's lore.
You should need good lore to be playable. What happens after that is another story.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:53 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Not everyone gets triggered by faction conflict, or faction lore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:04 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Pandaren got great lore right?
Old 02-16-2018, 04:07 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I can see Furbolg having Tauren animations as well.

Quote:
It's not like neutral lore that focuses on planet-eating threats is all that much better for race lore either.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:21 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Pandaren got great lore right?
Considering what they had before and what their concept is, Pandaren got stellar lore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I can see Furbolg having Tauren animations as well.
Never thought of that. Good call.

Quote:
It's not like neutral lore that focuses on planet-eating threats is all that much better for race lore either.
True.

Last edited by Deicide; 02-16-2018 at 04:23 PM..
Old 02-16-2018, 04:40 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
Who would you rather have at your side on a fist fight, Beorn or Shenzi, Banzai and Ed?

That's what I thought
Old 02-16-2018, 06:47 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
Considering what they had before and what their concept is, Pandaren got stellar lore.
Huojin and Tushui would love to disagree, but they can't because they don't exist.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:16 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Huojin and Tushui would love to disagree, but they can't because they don't exist.
Oh, I agree that Huojin/Tushui need attention, but you said only "pandaren", and pandaren in general got a lot of love during MoP.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:58 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
Oh, I agree that Huojin/Tushui need attention, but you said only "pandaren", and pandaren in general got a lot of love during MoP.
I wasn't aware they had joined a faction.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:03 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
And the pandaren demonstrate my point. The ones who signed the dotted line to pick a player faction immediately became completely irrelevant to the pandaren lore from that moment forward, and only appeared again as tertiary appendages in the faction conflict.

Join a faction, and a race gets demoted from being its own big thing to being a slot in the faction's tech tree. And tromping through the racial zone(s) early on basically amounts to bidding an extended farewell to what made the race unique and interesting.

Which is especially sad in the case of the void elves, because while the other Allied Races at least have a bunch of prior lore development to look back on fondly as they melt into the roster of multiracial grunts and footmen, there isn't all that much to void elves before they enlist in the Alliance, so we'll probably only see further development for them when the Void takes center stage as the primary threat and some of them take a mechanical break from being Alliance draenei-style to hand out quests to both factions. Until then they'll likely be too busy being Alliance to be much of anything else.

Last edited by ARM3481; 02-16-2018 at 11:56 PM..
Old 02-16-2018, 08:03 PM

Arch-Druid

Considering that the modern Horde has an equal balance between closer to nature savage races, Trolls, Tauren, and Orcs, and more civilized races like Elves, Undead, and Goblins, I kind of think the Alliance needs a little diversity.

All they got is civilized Humans, Dwarves, Draenei, Gnomes, Elves, and even dapper Werewolves. And Night Elf and Worgen players sometimes want to be more savage. That's just something Alliance themes will never allow, unless there's a major push to create a more barbarous subfaction within the Alliance.

As such, these are my recommendations.

For fans of the post-apocalyptic bombed-back-into-the-stone-age vibe, I suggest Krokul. Already part of the Alliance in technicality, they offer something the Lightforged never could. True visual and thematic distinctiveness from the Draenei!

For the stubborn Vrykul fans out there, I'm sorry to say that they're just too tall. However, maybe there are other Vrykul mutants out there that remain more like their ancestors and retain a closer cultural association? Large, but not 12 foot, Vrykul-like barbarians couldn't be too disappointing. Perhaps descended from Frost Vrykul, if you want a different color.

For people who just want every Troll race on Azeroth finally represented ingame, what better than the savage Dark Trolls to ally with their descendants?

Then throw in some Furbolgs, because everyone likes bears.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:50 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
For the stubborn Vrykul fans out there, I'm sorry to say that they're just too tall. However, maybe there are other Vrykul mutants out there that remain more like their ancestors and retain a closer cultural association? Large, but not 12 foot, Vrykul-like barbarians couldn't be too disappointing. Perhaps descended from Frost Vrykul, if you want a different color.
Isn't that what (people suspect) the "fat Tirasians" are for?

A bit related to your thought: I wish Mogu were an Allied Race, with the Alliance. They're not exactly "savage" in an aesthetic sense, but they certainly clash with the main image of the Alliance.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:10 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Based on what I've seen so far, it seems like Blizzard wants to supply each main race with at least one allied race that is in some way related to them, making the vulpera, if they are truly meant to be an allied race, the goblin's allied race.

I wonder (a) what Blizzard has in store for the other four races that are still missing an allied race of their own, (b) whether Pandaren would get one neutral allied race or two separate ones, and (c) whether the relationship between goblins and vulpera may be more than just skin deep. We still do not know which race Mimir blessed, after all.

(Yes, I know that (c) is unlikely, but asking doesn't hurt.)

Tags
brace yourselves, drunk thread, eredar attaque, lordaeron is coming, races, warcraft, world of warcraft