Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 10-26-2012, 12:38 AM

Elune

Wow, thanks so much for your answers and time! It's a pleasure to have you here.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:42 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Nice to see you pop up on the site Mike.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:12 AM

Elune

Hey, that's Mike of WoWinsider! Pleased to meet you!

Oh, everyone, get Barongrackle here! He surely wants to see that Dentarg has indeed one head!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:29 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Lets start! First sorry for my English and a second questions for Mike.

From descriptions of next set Betrayal of Guardian there are the same next race in focus - human, orcs, taurens and night elves. Is it means, there will be no ally-cards with lore characters of other races in this whole block?
Why in the last sets the art for all cards-equipment became such one-type boring? Simply images (maybe good image) of flying loot with muddy panorama on backside, without a plot, story.
Why pandarens and monks not in this block?

And special question about Baine
Why his image so often changes?
Indian-style headdress, one horn is broken in end:
http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/viewer...arcraft&art=41
http://wow.blizzgame.ru/gallery/high...ayne-reynolds/
WoW-like style:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/media/ar...aine-bloodhoof
http://wowtcg.cryptozoic.com/sites/d..._of_cairne.jpg

The same with Jastor Gallywix
Game
http://wow.blizzgame.ru/gallery/trad...by-jim-nelson/
http://wow.blizzgame.ru/gallery/worl...-greg-capullo/ (Gallywix in battle! Imposible!)

Alter view
http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/viewer...arcraft&art=32
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/media/ar...view#/gallywix
And in my opinion Christie Golden's Gallywix from Tides of War closer for the alter view (smile, cigar, top hat).

Have you a control of lore in art? Question was born after five-finger gnome and wrong dial. http://wow.blizzgame.ru/gallery/borrowed-time/

PS By the way
Old 10-26-2012, 03:28 AM

Elune

Tyrande looks VERY good in that armor! Far better than half-naked!
Old 10-26-2012, 04:02 AM

Banished

Cool, thanks for answering those. Just a question, Azshara had eye tattoos in WoE raid and she doesn't now, does that mean she's tattoo-less now or it was just an oversight?

---------

Finally we got dat Tyrande, Jonboy Meyers hurry yo' ass up with dat Illidan and Vashj kplzthxbye
Old 10-26-2012, 04:14 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesacco View Post
I'm a creative developer for the WoW TCG. I do the names, flavor text, art descriptions, artist references...basically whatever's not game text, I either do by myself or have a hand in on the Cryptozoic end. I wanted to pop in and answer a few questions I saw in the thread, and you guys can ask more if you'd like.

Quick note: All of our text and art must go through CDev for approval. 99.9% of the time, stuff that doesn't jive with lore is quickly corrected in the development process. There is that .1%, though.

The Child of Ursol is supposed to be a regular bear standing upright, but I'm not really sure that it was adequately conveyed in the art! I'd agree that it looks more like a furbolg in the picture.

Timewalkers are mortals who patrol the timeways in place of the Bronze Flight. They were our Creative Lead's idea, but Chris Metzen expressed an interest in putting them into the MMO, so their story is left a little ambiguous to leave room for if/when Blizzard wants to flesh them out.

The Timewalkers gave us an opportunity to use races that didn't exist or were different during the time periods we're spotlighting in this block. We also opted to use a few Timewalkers as heroes, usually where there wasn't a very good Horde/Alliance/Monster option that fit in the block's time periods (Monster paladin? Alliance shaman? Horde paladin?)

The heroes for the block are static -- all 30 heroes in WotA are the block's heroes -- but there's a lot of room for named ally cards, and you'll definitely see some of these names (some with their first official art in a decade or more). Did you see Lothar? I love that art.

Note the main problem with old RTS and lore heroes: a ton of them are warriors. We can't use all of them.

We originally submitted Tyrande's sketch with her in her familiar Well of Eternity getup, but Metzen said that she should be wearing plate armor, since that's what was in the book. We opted to put her in armor from the unused concept art for the WC3 Priestess of the Moon unit (which you can see here), which satisfied all of those requirements. She's armored nearly head-to-toe, which is nice.

I saw a few comments about sexualized female characters in card art. I'd agree that some of them are over the top. I try to give artists references for female characters that are as respectful as possible (I did references for some of WotA and all of BotG) but ultimately I'm at the mercy of what's in the game and the final calls go to Blizzard and to our Art Director. If an armor set shows cleavage and we have to use that armor set, there's probably going to be cleavage on the card.

My favorite female character in WotA is Tessa Black.

In researching for this block, I confirmed with CDev that Dentarg has one head.

--

Feel free to ask me TCG questions, though bear in mind I might not be able to answer everything due to NDA or that kind of thing.
Get a haircut, Mike.

j/k ILY
Old 10-26-2012, 05:02 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Quote:
Feel free to ask me TCG questions, though bear in mind I might not be able to answer everything due to NDA or that kind of thing.
Mike SaccoOoOOoOOoOo! Thanks for posting in my humble little thread.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:22 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
In researching for this block, I confirmed with CDev that Dentarg has one head.
Thank you for coming around and answering things! Really kind.

Well, it's like I said before... I'll believe Blizzard when we finally have an image of Dentarg that only has one head. And here it comes. So... the silver lining I take from this is that one-headed ogres can be ogre-magi. More on that in the ogre thread...
Old 10-26-2012, 05:42 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleluke View Post
Tyrande looks VERY good in that armor! Far better than half-naked!
Not as good as this.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of duty 1 View Post
Not as good as this.
I hate plate bikini sets.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:00 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
I hate plate bikini sets.
I'm going to hear everything you say as Tichondrias, now.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:01 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I'm going to hear everything you say as Tichondrias, now.
Whoever voiced him deserves an award.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:22 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Whoever voiced him deserves an award.
He indeed has a very good voice! One of the best of Warcraft 3.

Quote:
Not as good as this.
I don't agree, I think that plate bikinis aren't very... functional and a little too revealing. It's only there to appease the male-players. (Ugh, I sound like a feminist)
Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 AM

I thought that was leather on the cover of the WotA anthology?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 AM

Huntress

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
Cool, thanks for answering those. Just a question, Azshara had eye tattoos in WoE raid and she doesn't now, does that mean she's tattoo-less now or it was just an oversight?
Our original Azshara art did have tattoos, but Blizzard requested we remove them. I'm not privy to the reason, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zato

From descriptions of next set Betrayal of Guardian there are the same next race in focus - human, orcs, taurens and night elves. Is it means, there will be no ally-cards with lore characters of other races in this whole block?
We've managed to fit a few non-"featured" race lore characters into each set. It's difficult for this particular block because of our "race matters" mechanics with the featured races. Thankfully a lot of those characters made it in as heroes, though.

Quote:
Why in the last sets the art for all cards-equipment became such one-type boring? Simply images (maybe good image) of flying loot with muddy panorama on backside, without a plot, story.
This was an overall design decision. The problem with a lot of old equipment cards is that they were indistinguishable from ability cards. We want you to know right away what kind of card something is, and equipment cards with people swinging swords, etc. was working against that.

Quote:
Sets have significant lead time and it's very, very difficult to develop them in conjunction with an unreleased expansion. Worldbreaker had a very fast turnaround and was more or less developed during Cataclysm, but you'll notice that all of the weapons and armor were from the starter zones that were open in beta at the time. Worgen females hadn't been released yet. You'll notice, too, that the worgen males use the old alpha haircuts. Related to your question below, Gallywix and Greymane in worgen form didn't even have official art yet when we were making Worldbreaker. We simply didn't have enough information to go on about Pandaria and monks so far ahead of time.

Quote:
Have you a control of lore in art? Question was born after five-finger gnome and wrong dial. http://wow.blizzgame.ru/gallery/borrowed-time/
Yep, though only recently. These kinds of things are supposed to be caught in the approval process, but like I said in the first post, sometimes things just slip through.

Last edited by Omacron; 10-26-2012 at 11:45 AM..
Old 10-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Priestess of the Moon

WTB female armor that actually covers the body. Also WTB less boobplate or at least less obvious boobplate.

If they want the armor to look feminine just add an armored skirt to it. Looks awesome on males too.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Our original Azshara art did have tattoos, but Blizzard requested we remove them. I'm not privy to the reason, though.

Quote:

We've managed to fit a few non-"featured" race lore characters into each set. It's difficult for this particular block because of our "race matters" mechanics with the featured races. Thankfully a lot of those characters made it in as heroes, though.

Quote:
This was an overall design decision. The problem with a lot of old equipment cards is that they were indistinguishable from ability cards. We want you to know right away what kind of card something is, and equipment cards with people swinging swords, etc. was working against that.

Quote:
Sets have significant lead time and it's very, very difficult to develop them in conjunction with an unreleased expansion. Worldbreaker had a very fast turnaround and was more or less developed during Cataclysm, but you'll notice that all of the weapons and armor were from the starter zones that were open in beta at the time. Worgen females hadn't been released yet. You'll notice, too, that the worgen males use the old alpha haircuts. Related to your question below, Gallywix and Greymane in worgen form didn't even have official art yet when we were making Worldbreaker. We simply didn't have enough information to go on about Pandaria and monks so far ahead of time.

Quote:
Yep, though only recently. These kinds of things are supposed to be caught in the approval process, but like I said in the first post, sometimes things just slip through.

Quoting this post so others can see it. Mike, just an FYI- posters with less than 15 posts can't have posts that include a hypertext (even though the link was just in something you quoted). It's a concession we've made to deal with spammers an sometimes new posters get caught up in it.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 PM

Banished

Ahh, some insight in the inside process is always coo

Well, I'll just asume that Azshara is supposed to be tattooless now. It's funny because both pieces do have some traces of pink around the eyes (well, either traces of previous versions or the light of her eyes reflected on her skin)

I guess that this is what he means by the original Tyrande in a dress

(still mad that we don't have the art in that board(?))

Last edited by GenyaArikado; 10-26-2012 at 12:04 PM..
Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 PM

Elune

Quote:
(still mad that we don't have the art in that board(?))
More mad broxigar is squirreld off to a corner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 PM

Hey there, mike! Nice to have you here!

One thing that interests me personally:

How exactly are artists choosen to do artwork for the TCG? Do they apply or do you contact them first?

Either way, thanks for the answers!

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:21 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshadow View Post
More mad broxigar is squirreld off to a corner
Yeah I'd like to see what's he fighting
Old 10-26-2012, 01:09 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

I feel obliged to mention to mention Thoras Trollbane again, but at the same it feels a little petty and selfish to do so.

Thanks for the posts Mike!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Huntress

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
Hey there, mike! Nice to have you here!

One thing that interests me personally:

How exactly are artists choosen to do artwork for the TCG? Do they apply or do you contact them first?

Either way, thanks for the answers!
Both. Our Art Director will often headhunt for prospective artists, but we also get unsolicited applicants.

There are a lot of really good artists who simply aren't very good for WoW TCG. WoW has a really particular style and some artists just aren't a great fit for it even if they do good work elsewhere.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:07 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
I'm a creative developer for the WoW TCG. I do the names, flavor text, art descriptions, artist references...basically whatever's not game text, I either do by myself or have a hand in on the Cryptozoic end. I wanted to pop in and answer a few questions I saw in the thread, and you guys can ask more if you'd like.
I find it ironic that you have no avatar.

Quote:
I saw a few comments about sexualized female characters in card art. I'd agree that some of them are over the top. I try to give artists references for female characters that are as respectful as possible (I did references for some of WotA and all of BotG) but ultimately I'm at the mercy of what's in the game and the final calls go to Blizzard and to our Art Director. If an armor set shows cleavage and we have to use that armor set, there's probably going to be cleavage on the card.
Don't make too much of the "complaints." There's really hardly any women here complaining about it - just overcompensating virgins and metrosexuals trying to be sensitive.

Most of us are just fine with boobs in fantasy art. Really.