Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-07-2012, 06:25 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
I always loved his fuzzy boots.
Ahh yes, following the Snooki school of villainous fashion design.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:25 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
Then do everyone a favor and go kill ürself then plz. Oh and I would appreciate if you killed Xil, Fojar, Millenia, Gahinhad and Tauren Paly before suiciding. Thanks in advance

Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:34 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Ahh yes, following the Snooki school of villainous fashion design.
Arthas had those boots before Snooki

Tyrande hair on the other hand....
Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Arthas had those boots before Snooki
The Snooki traveled back in time to influence the art direction of Warcraft III in order to prepare the world for Its coming. The Snooki exists beyond time, beyond space. It is a being askew and perpendicular to human understanding. It is all and it is naught. Do not try and understand The Snooki, for your puny mortal mind can only fathom the tiniest part of Its infinitesimal horror. All you can do is fear It.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Huntress

Quote:
Will Jonboy Meyers ever update that fucking facebook?

Mr Sacco can you tell us anything about Vashj's and sorcerer!Illidan's cards?
Sure. This is where things get a little complicated.

When we first started planning this block, the plan was to have ten different heroes for each set. We wanted to have one of each class per era and divide them up between Horde, Alliance, and Monster. When we ran this by Metzen, he gave us a list of characters he'd like us to use for certain eras. So when we were doing WotA, we knew we wanted to hit a few of them: young Malfurion for druid, of course; Illidan for mage because it was the first time you'd get to play as a non-DH Illidan; Tyrande for priest, an obvious choice, etc. So we picked a lot of heroes based on the WotA era.

We then ran into three problems.

1) It was really hard to find certain classes in certain eras (Shaman/DK in WotA, for example, or any Monsters in Warcraft 2) and still keep the names relevant to the lore,
2) A complete lack of relevant Horde characters in the WotA era besides Brox and Huln, and
3) It would kind of suck for Horde/Alliance players not to have a certain class to play until possibly set 21.

So we revamped our plans and decided to just do 30 heroes from all the time periods we were covering in this block, which allowed us to do a few fun things, but also meant there were some characters who didn't make the cut and would have to return as ally cards for their respective eras.

However, a lot of the heroes we chose based on the WotA ones remained, including Vashj as the Monster priest. Vashj was originally recommended by Metzen because there were...very very few options for Monster priest. He said it could fit because she was sort of an evangelist for Azshara, and we said sure, why not. It was also a chance to have a playable Vashj who wasn't the naga version.

When we began the art description for Vashj we kind of didn't know what to look for; after all, we know precious little about Vashj from her pre-naga days. We figured she'd look like a handmaiden, but also sexy and maybe more privileged than some of other Vashj's personal servants, given that (if I remember correctly, it's been a while) she was supposed to be very, very beautiful herself. So we gave some Highborne architecture/clothing/etc references and basically said "have at it, Jonboy". Believe it or not, the version you see today is actually less extreme than the original, haha. I don't think this design was a home run (not Jonboy's fault), but it was also one of the loosest fits per class, so I'm not sure it was ever going to be perfect. I am happy we got her in there either way.

Mage Illidan required a lot of back-and-forth with Blizzard. We went with the WotA book cover Illidan, BUT: as I'm sure you guys know, there's some debate as to when exactly Illidan got his tattoos and had his eyes burned out, so we had to figure out what moment in time this Illidan was supposed to be present in and what he would have looked like then. This required a lot of work with CDev to get his appearance exactly right.

The magic was originally green fel magic -- to show his toying with forces he shouldn't have, and because it popped nicely with his purple skin -- but after some debate it seemed wrong to have him using fel magic without his tattoos and without the Skull and everything else, so we switched it to arcane magic. In retrospect I think Illidan is a little lost in the arcane magic effect, even after we toned it down a bit, but there wasn't much we could do at that point. We have pretty strict timetables and rules about corrections/changes with artists, so we have to pick our battles.

Once I'm at the requisite number of posts to post links without getting eaten by the spam filter, btw, I can grab you images of whatever card art you want from this set. No big deal.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:23 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesacco View Post
Once I'm at the requisite number of posts to post links without getting eaten by the spam filter, btw, I can grab you images of whatever card art you want from this set. No big deal.
If you want I can try editing them back into your post and see if that works. Sorry for the headache, Mike, but we've had to come up with creative solutions to our spam problem.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

You could try indirect links like warcraft[dot]com/stuffhere, perhaps?

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 PM

Arch-Druid

...Sometimes I wonder if I should stop telling people that I'm from SoL, and try to hide all the evidence.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:47 PM

The Digger

So that more "extreme" design for Vashj... can that be found anywhere? I need to know. For science and stuff.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:20 PM

Banished

Sort of an evangelist for Azshara...not sure what it means but I like how it sounds. And I guess that's why her card looks so...kinky

Yeah, Illidan tampering with fel on that image would have looked better. But it looks pretty cool either way so whatever.

Do you people use fanart as inspiration in some cases? Because, well, his card looks like certain Illidan fanart piece, just like Azshara model was seemly inspired by that famous piece made by breathing2004. I imagine that if you do is because in cases like this there is/was no art made for WotA period
Old 11-07-2012, 08:58 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Sort of an evangelist for Azshara...not sure what it means but I like how it sounds. And I guess that's why her card looks so...kinky
It means a "preacher". Evangelists aren't usually that kinky.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Arthur Gimaldinov update his cghub and deviant

It's not Warcraft III pulyx-style

Jast compare

I'm understand that Hamuul cannot be born with half-horn, but was Blizzard agreed with this art or simply didn't notice?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:39 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Oh, another question about wings of stone tol'vir (and Obsidian Destroyer) - where from it? It seems real, not stone, and not every tol'vir "dress" it.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 PM

Elune

Could an American in here inform me as to the American standard of nipples. The demonisation/glorification of sexuality in American media is confusing to me: Is it okay to show male nipples in most medias, but taboo to do the same for women? If so, is there a specific reason for this?

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Elves are bad.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
Could an American in here inform me as to the American standard of nipples. The demonisation/glorification of sexuality in American media is confusing to me: Is it okay to show male nipples in most medias, but taboo to do the same for women? If so, is there a specific reason for this?
You have it correct. The reason is because nipples on women are sexual in a more mainstream way than that of men.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
You have it correct. The reason is because nipples on women are sexual in a more mainstream way than that of men.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:05 PM

Elune

Is there a logical reason for why they are considered "more" sexual than that of males? Seeing as the female nipple actually has a function, whereas the male one does not. I know, for instance, that some Americans object to public breastfeeding. Is there a correlation here?

Elves are bad.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Is there a logical reason for why they are considered "more" sexual than that of males? Seeing as the female nipple actually has a function, whereas the male one does not. I know, for instance, that some Americans object to public breastfeeding. Is there a correlation here?
Culture's reasons ultimately boil down to "they've been this way", and often are irrational in many ways, even if one can look at logical reasons for X or Y being there.

That said, don't men on average have less sensitive nipples compared to women? That may be why the female ones are seen as sexual, in addition to them being placed on the breasts. Remember the male-centric points of view on the part of society in general and politicians specifically.

And yes, there is a correlation between seeing the nipple as sexual and objections to breastfeeding.

All too complicated for brain now.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Old 11-07-2012, 10:45 PM

Elune

Quote:
Sexism.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrem View Post
These were recently posted by James Ryman (http://namesjames.deviantart.com/):
Calling Quel'thalas perpetual summer always felt strange to me as it looks like perpetual early autumn with those yellow/golden leaves.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zato View Post
A

?
Its looks like either ogrim, or the thral model vaanel did...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:04 AM

Banished

I finally got it. Sylvanas face looks like Fergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshadow View Post
Its looks like either ogrim, or the thral model vaanel did...
Not really. Vaanel's has anime hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
It means a "preacher". Evangelists aren't usually that kinky.
I imagined so. I mean like, I know what's the meaning of "evangelist", i just wasn't sure of the implications of that in Vashj's case.

Oh i mentioned "kinky" as an answer to the latter part where he said that they gave Meyers creative freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zato View Post
Arthur Gimaldinov update his cghub and deviant
I love this one. From which card is it?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:12 AM
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Sexism.
Basically
Old 11-08-2012, 03:24 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
Basically
What if we force every man to take the hormones that are necessary to make them lactate? Everyone would have bigger breasts and none shall ever be shown again.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:50 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
What if we force every man to take the hormones that are necessary to make them lactate? Everyone would have bigger breasts and none shall ever be shown again.
a larged proportion of males would end up into exhaustion deaths if that ever happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.