Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Snake View Post
I find it funny that I read stuff like "Malfurion went Super Saiyan", because that's exactly what I thought when I read the book. Especially when he talked to all the people on Azeroth it reminded me of one of those last episodes where Goku talked to all the people on earth, to convince them to give their power. And there were so many moments where I expected Malfurion to ask people for their energy so he could create a Spirit Bomb
All in all, I really liked the book, but after Malfurion woke and he started to fight the Nightmare, it got kinda annoying and I wanted the story to come to an end. I really liked to see what happened to Teldrassil, Fandral and other characters, to see the connection between the Emerald Nightmare and Xavius, but pretty much everything that involved fighting didn't come off so good, I dunno. Also this Foxblood guy was sooo annoying, always teleporting, warping in and out of the Emerald Dream, seemed so confusing and chaotic, and to some degree, totally pointless. At some point I just hoped Eranikus would swallow him.
And this whole wedding thing also didn't feel right.
Yes, some people who read the book here agree with the "Super Saiyan" stuff.
While the story is so bad, I think it might be a little...better if they let Illidan show up and help his brother, since this book is called "Stormrage". But maybe they thought Illidan is a far more popular character than his brother. He would be the hero.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:26 PM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Yes, some people who read the book here agree with the "Super Saiyan" stuff.
While the story is so bad, I think it might be a little...better if they let Illidan show up and help his brother, since this book is called "Stormrage". But maybe they thought Illidan is a far more popular character than his brother. He would be the hero.
Or maybe they thought Illidan was dead... just maybe...
Old 03-07-2010, 11:34 PM

Arch-Druid

Every time I read the words Super and Saiyan I feel like sticking a bullet in my head so I never have to read them again... yes that was overly dramatic, but I still feel that way.

When I read that Furion grows a monkey tail and turns all shiny and spontaneously gets a spiky hairstyle, and all that nonsense, I'll accept it.

Dues ex Machina can be annoying, yes... but I'm sure Furion didn't stand in one spot far above the ground channeling a super magic ball that's big enough to destroy half the damn planet and only have it leave a tiny crater and one less villain.

So could we just call it something different?

Edit: And right... shame on Knaak for accepting that Illidan's dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:46 PM

Hippogryph

It's not that Malfurion resembles Goku in any way, it's just that the way Knaak described the fighting, especially this whole "lets gather some energy and blast the villain away" - stuff reminds me so much of the way Akira Toriyama created pretty much every fight in DB.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Black View Post
This is what I get for being hopeful that Richard Knaak may have learned a thing or two from constructive criticism. Is Richard simply not interested in complex and conflicted characters? Why must all his heroes be Dudley Doright, and the villians Sidney Whiplash? Just because Fandral Staghelm was a jerk doesn't mean he couldn't have performed some redeeming heroism, or that Tyrande wouldn't have had a little of her elitist fanatacism from WC3. I thought someone from Blizzard stated that they were well aware that the Night Elves had lost their edge, and were going to correct it, feral xenophobia and all? Knaak's NEs don't sound too different from standard fantasy High Elves.

One thing struck me when I finally got around to checking out Night of the Dragon; through Kalecgos' rants, it seemed to me that Knaak was pissed off that the Sunwell wasn't restored by his characters(Anveena, Kalec and Korialstrasz). Since he got to bless Terldrassil in Stormrage, did Richard try to give the Night Elves their immortality back?
Knaak is not good at character development.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:48 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Knaak is not good
Old news
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:43 PM

Lord of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Romaneck View Post
Old news
Doesnt matter, everyone need to hear it...for their own sake.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:12 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozdormu View Post
Doesnt matter, everyone need to hear it...for their own sake.
Blizzard I am sure will ask him to write again.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Slowpokeking

Again, we can't say it's all his fault. Maybe Metzen wanted to see this kind of story about his favorite hero.
I'll do the same thing to Arthas, Kel'Thuzad or Sylvanas if I'm Blizzard's VP and storymaker.

Last edited by Slowpokeking; 03-08-2010 at 09:47 PM..
Old 03-08-2010, 10:35 PM

Elune

I've found I almost never like characters who are the main. I tend to tire of them pretty quick. I mean, it happens occasionally, but only in things that have strong ensemble casts and shift focus frequently, or in things where the main character is so mind-blowingly awesome that I don't get bored of them.

So if I were the VP? I would probably not write much about the characters I like, because then I would get tired of them and start to disdain how much time is spent talking about what they do.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 PM

Lord of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
Blizzard I am sure will ask him to write again.
WHY?! Why won't they stop!?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
I guess not many writers are willing to write Warcraft novel, especially Blizzard don't give them much freedom.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:56 PM

Elune

Quote:
From what I hear, Metzen & company like how he writes.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:50 PM

Elune

Metzen, from his comments, likes Knaak based almost purely on nostalgia for old books the guy wrote twenty years ago or so. It's like if I were a major game designer and I gave a writing contract for my universe to Stackpole- yes, I realize he's awful and I can't read anything he writes, but he helped introduce me to CBT.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Need to recruit Dan Abnett for a book or two.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I don't have anything against Knaak or Golden, I do like them, but I'd prefer if we got more variety regarding authors.

One of the best points of that would be that they could make more novels, and focus better on each one.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 03-09-2010, 09:23 AM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr13 View Post
Malfurion voluntarily entered the Emerald Dream, and then Xavius used an illusion to trick Malfurion into allowing his dreamself to be captured. Xavius bound Malfurion's dreamself into a tree so he could not escape. Fandral also was poisoning his real body at the barrow dens with morrowgrain. The priestesses of Elune kept him alive.
So that's what he wanted all that morrowgrain for? I swear I laughed out loud!

Edit: What's all this Varian leading an all-race-army thing?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrantis View Post
So that's what he wanted all that morrowgrain for? I swear I laughed out loud!

Edit: What's all this Varian leading an all-race-army thing?
Fandral was poisoning almost all druids in the circle. He's a tough villian in this novel till his will broke with his "son"'s death.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:27 AM

Huntress

During Krasus' nightmare, he mentions that he had lost all connections with green dragonflight, save for one dragon, which he didn't particularly cared for or something along those lines. Is he referring to Eranikus? If so, why would Krasus have bad blood with him?

Last edited by Manimal; 03-09-2010 at 11:00 AM..
Old 03-09-2010, 11:22 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Two pages of DBZ shit and I cannot tolerate this thread any further. Has someone who's NOT an anime retard read the book and can provide an opinion?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:01 PM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Two pages of DBZ shit and I cannot tolerate this thread any further. Has someone who's NOT an anime retard read the book and can provide an opinion?
I don't know if you read the book, but I just assume that you haven't. If you had, maybe you would've felt the same about the fights. They were just bad and the fact that so many people associated them with Animes like Dragonball should give you an idea of how you can imagine those fights in the book. And there were actually some interesting posts in this topic, that went beyond "omg Malfurion is totally Super Saiyan".
Old 03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Snake View Post
I don't know if you read the book, but I just assume that you haven't. If you had, maybe you would've felt the same about the fights. They were just bad and the fact that so many people associated them with Animes like Dragonball should give you an idea of how you can imagine those fights in the book. And there were actually some interesting posts in this topic, that went beyond "omg Malfurion is totally Super Saiyan".
Yeah, like I said before, Xavius didn't make any big mistake except he didn't know Furion would go SS. And Knaak couldn't control the story since Yesera was taken, so he could only end it with Furion went SS and save the day.
The WotA at least got some stuff from Blizzard's history so the end won't go too bad(At least not Furion went SS then kicked Sargeras and the Old Gods' ass), but this one he could only work on his own, so he pretty much lost it.

Last edited by Slowpokeking; 03-09-2010 at 04:27 PM..
Old 03-09-2010, 04:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Haha, well phrased.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:03 PM

Elune

Question

Quote:
Fandral was poisoning almost all druids in the circle. He's a tough villian in this novel till his will broke with his "son"'s death.
I thought Fandral started doing all this crazy stuff because his son died. So Fandral was always a villain?

Quote:
Yeah, like I said before, Xavius didn't make any big mistake except he didn't know Furion would go SS. And Knaak couldn't control the story since Yesera was taken, so he could only end it with Furion went SS and save the day.
The WotA at least got some stuff from Blizzard's history so the end won't go too bad(At least not Furion went SS then kicked Sargeras and the Old Gods' ass), but this one he could only work on his own, so he pretty much lost it.
In WotA, he used a lot of power from the "earth" because even the very earth was going to die if things didn't go well for the good guys. What did Malfurion use in the Emerald Dream to get so powerful? The "earth" again? I think Malfurion also healed Krasus who was near death by using the life of the earth, which killed a patch of earth during the process, or it may have been the other way around.

Last edited by Rolandius; 03-09-2010 at 05:08 PM..
Old 03-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
In WotA, he used a lot of power from the "earth" because even the very earth was going to die if things didn't go well for the good guys. What did Malfurion use in the Emerald Dream to get so powerful? The "earth" again? I think Malfurion also healed Krasus who was near death by using the life of the earth, which killed a patch of earth during the process, or it may have been the other way around.
Yes he did show super power in WotA. But not too far above his orginal role in the war. At least not like what he did in Stormrage, almost everyone is down, Xavius is close to win both Azeroth and Emerald Dream. With other druids and Tyrande's help, he went SS and save TWO WORLDS with a super storm. Even I can write something better than that.

I think you will understand what did I mean after you finish with this book.