Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 07-23-2010, 07:56 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
The speech is in Silverpine.
The one about how the Alliance does not acknowledge the Forsaken rights? We are not talking about the Garrosh event. Which quest activates her long speech about the Forsaken, her creation, etc...?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:20 PM

Arch-Druid

I really hope this will be the intro to the Forsaken, it's so fitting. She seems to use a narrating voice, doesn't sound like an speech she'ld have halfway through the storyline (it'd be much louder and more filled with emotion). It also seems to be a bit long to be part of a questline, 2,5minutes? quite long to keep someone who doesn't care about the story to pay attention.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:27 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
The speech appeared to me as propaganda. Political rhetoric...False justification for their atrocities. There was nothing genuine about it.
What possible reason would she have for political rhetoric? She doesn't seem to care what the Alliance thinks, and while she's lying to the Horde, they've ASKED her to start invading to the south, so there's no reason to lie to them about her reasons for invading. It doesn't even justify her atrocities. It just gives her a motivation beyond "let's kill everybody for no reason".

For that matter, why WOULD she just 'want to kill everybody'?

I don't understand what's so difficult to understand about her wanting to secure her power and spread it. That fits the way her character was established in TFT.

Quote:
I really hope this will be the intro to the Forsaken, it's so fitting. She seems to use a narrating voice, doesn't sound like an speech she'ld have halfway through the storyline (it'd be much louder and more filled with emotion).
I kinda hope not. Her voice isn't nearly as epic as Earl Boen's. Could be, though. "Lordaeron belongs to the Forsaken. Always and forever." is a pretty good way to open up the Undead plotline.

Last edited by Aldrius; 07-23-2010 at 08:30 PM..
Old 07-23-2010, 08:33 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldriud View Post
What possible reason would she have for political rhetoric? She doesn't seem to care what the Alliance thinks, and while she's lying to the Horde, they've ASKED her to start invading to the south, so there's no reason to lie to them about her reasons for invading. It doesn't even justify her atrocities. It just gives her a motivation beyond "let's kill everybody for no reason".
People seem to have it in their heads that nothing can be trusted because it comes from a biased source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldriud View Post
For that matter, why WOULD she just 'want to kill everybody'?
To ensure world peace!

Last edited by Yuber8900; 08-20-2012 at 10:17 AM..
Old 07-24-2010, 02:46 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
I would say that the Forsaken prove that the process of reanimation does something horrible to the mind, and killing them all is no different than putting down a mad dog. You do it because NOT doing it is irresponsible.
So that Forsaken in today Eastern Plaguelands serving the Argent Dawn is a mad dog. I hope your character mentioned it to the Argent Dawn commanders. And I do hope one could mention it. I clearly can see hundreds of Alliance character imprisoned by the Argent Dawn because of temporal insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
If BL stands for Blizzard, then yeah.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:35 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyson View Post
I really hope this will be the intro to the Forsaken, it's so fitting. She seems to use a narrating voice, doesn't sound like an speech she'ld have halfway through the storyline (it'd be much louder and more filled with emotion). It also seems to be a bit long to be part of a questline, 2,5minutes? quite long to keep someone who doesn't care about the story to pay attention.
This wouldn't be the first time they did this.
In Acherus, right after you've created your DK, you go to Arthas and he gives a similarily long speech which is voiced too.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:38 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afaslizo View Post
temporal insanity
Is that like, some kind of affliction to do with the Infinites?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:41 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twofootfury View Post
Is that like, some kind of affliction to do with the Infinites?
No, that's what happens with your head when you think too hard about time travel and associated paradoxes.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:42 AM

Arch-Druid

Ah, that makes sense.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:43 AM

Priestess of the Moon

I don't see Sylvanas' speech being intended to persuade anyone.

She's such a polarizing character that everyone already has an opinion on her. They either love her and follow her, or think she's a twisted fruit loop.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:19 AM

Arch-Druid

She only saw darkness. WELL, wasn't that already said by her... old boss.

Anyway, I posted a link to videos of the questline in the other thread.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:56 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

So looks like this wasn't the intro speech for the Forsaken.

I thought it was stupid when I heard the audio, but it works surprisingly well in-game. I think it's mostly because she's shooting down random worgen while riding a horse while talking about it.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:58 AM

Loremaster

Yes nice to get confirmation about the speech, does seem kind of odd in placement but otherwise it all works out well.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
Yes nice to get confirmation about the speech, does seem kind of odd in placement but otherwise it all works out well.
I think the thinking behind it is... "Silverpine is so horribly designed it's going to take the players 10 minutes to walk from one town to the next. So we're going to have a player ride a provided-for horse from one place to another. This will get unbelievably boring, so let's put a speech in here for Sylvanas explaining the Forsaken's history to new players."

It's pretty seamless actually, I think. If a little cumbersome.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Arch-Druid

Found it!
Jesse from OMFGcata shows it as part of the Silverpine questline
Just a confirmation video, so you don't have to take a word for it.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:35 AM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
I think the thinking behind it is... "Silverpine is so horribly designed it's going to take the players 10 minutes to walk from one town to the next. So we're going to have a player ride a provided-for horse from one place to another. This will get unbelievably boring, so let's put a speech in here for Sylvanas explaining the Forsaken's history to new players."

Actually I think that's why they put the rideable ettin carts in.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:38 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Actually I think that's why they put the rideable ettin carts in.
Yep. But they also wanted to link stuff with the horses I think.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:05 PM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post

they probably thought:
-Ok, guys... and girl... Give me ideas. How can we make it so this zone is less cumbersome?
-We should make smooth transition from one quest hub to annother rather than having all quests start and end in the sepulcher.
-Right.
-Maybe we can have the player ride in a horse there.
-Alongside Sylvanas!
-Yeah. But if you just ride with her for 3 mins you'll probably get borred. SHe better do something.
-What about she explains like... the reason for this war while riding? So far her motivations are a bit unclear for the player.
-Right...
-She should totally be shooting ghostly arrows while explaining that AND riding the horse.
(everyone): Agreed, yeah.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:20 PM

Arch-Druid

Actually, the movement in Silverpine gets a lot better, not just that ride with Sylvanas, but Val'kyr dragging you to new places, writing in those ettin carts and you also get one of those walkietalkie things so you don't have to run back. They did put effort in making it feel a lot more streamlined and focused on questing rather than 2min quests and 10minute walks.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:57 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
She only saw darkness. WELL, wasn't that already said by her... old boss.
Actually, it was Lord Marrowgar who said it first. Arthas just quoted him.