Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2015, 04:22 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I dont have art of war or common sense what do those add?
Art of War adds the Thirty Years War mechanic which usually makes Europe hilarious and bags of fun. It also adds a lot to streamline warfare and other quality of life things for wars such as being able to change the occupation of provinces. This is the #1 DLC you should get, I M O.

Common Sense adds the ability to sink monarch points into provinces, improving them. Parliment mechanics for government types which support them, it's a big deal for England, for example. And it lets you customiuse reformed religions such as Protestantism so that it's actually worth going with rather than sticking with the papal mini-game. Among other things.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 10-04-2015, 05:34 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
Art of War adds the Thirty Years War mechanic which usually makes Europe hilarious and bags of fun. It also adds a lot to streamline warfare and other quality of life things for wars such as being able to change the occupation of provinces. This is the #1 DLC you should get, I M O.

Common Sense adds the ability to sink monarch points into provinces, improving them. Parliment mechanics for government types which support them, it's a big deal for England, for example. And it lets you customiuse reformed religions such as Protestantism so that it's actually worth going with rather than sticking with the papal mini-game. Among other things.
Well that is neat.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:28 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Night Elf Icon (War3)

I'm just waiting for the day my little Portugal will be able to defeat Spain in a land war! The secret is to keep colonizing and wait for the Spaniards to bite off more than they can chew. They have the advantage of having claimed the Caribbean (I was hasty and sent my navigators straight to South America and Africa), but Spain keeps putting itself into pointless wars against the African Muslims for worthless sandy provinces or religion. I know I need to find some European allies if I want to take on Spain - my very-powerful and slightly-hostile neighbor.

North America hasn't been settled except for my petty city in Florida, but I'm thinking Central America is where I should start focusing on. If my brave Portuguese conquistadors can take down the (declining) Aztec empire, I can stop the Spanish from getting all that territory in Mexico and then give me a forward base to take the rich Caribbean islands!

Green (Portugal) v Orange (Spain)
Old 10-08-2015, 05:46 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Not playing Europa Universalis III, the superior game.
I would say that if you have the Art of War and Common Sense DLCs, EU IV is superior to EU III.

Anyway....looks like Crusader Kings 2 will finally get an overhauled alliance system.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:45 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

This is getting fracking ridiculous. I've tried to revoke a title for one of my merchant vassal 20 times but he keeps on breaking the truce while in prison and I just win the war automatically. Something is seriously wrong with the republic system.

This must be a bug, I can farm this sad fuck as long as he lives for prestige. Though I already have over 300k.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 10-11-2015 at 02:51 PM..
Old 10-11-2015, 03:03 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaskaleh View Post
this is getting fracking ridiculous. I've tried to revoke a title for one of my merchant vassal 20 times but he keeps on breaking the truce while in prison and i just win the war automatically. Something is seriously wrong with the republic system.

This must be a bug, i can farm this sad fuck as long as he lives for prestige. Though i already have over 300k.
ok.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:03 AM

Eternal Watcher

I just experienced a much interesting bug. Sometimes there's an event where you suspect someone steals from you so you confront the most suspect individual. Sometimes it's a mistake and sometimes it's true that he's been stealing from you. you can then get him to pay back, imprison him or forgive him. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut.

He has swindled 164432.26 gold.

164432.26 gold.

I can't resist, I'm already invincible so that money wont make a difference.

Edit: Even weirder, one of my current emperor's concubines have ended up with twins, one of his and one from adultery.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 10-12-2015 at 03:14 PM..
Old 10-15-2015, 07:06 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Question

Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks

The Cossacks is the sixth major expansion for Europa Universalis IV and focuses on Hordes and Eastern Europe. This addition allows you to plunder your neighbours as a horde in order to keep your tribes loyal and raze their lands to gain power to advance in technology or reform into a settled nation. The internal politics of nations is brought to life with the Estates, representing powerful interests such as the Magnates of Poland-Lithuania and the eponymous Cossacks of the steppe. More detailed control over the cultures and natives living in your nation and the ability to work more closely with your AI allies and understand their goals will let you bring out your inner Peter the Great.

Main Features:
  • Estates: Adds internal politics in your country, with power groupings such as the Church, Nobility and Bourgeois fighting for control.
  • Diplomatic Feedback: Adds the ability to interact much more deeply with the AI by setting your attitude and telling it what you want out of wars.
  • Tengri: New religion mechanics focusing on Syncretism. Tengri have a secondary religion that they fully tolerate, and can change this secondary religion at will.
  • Horde Unity and Razing: Hordes must attack their neighbors to secure plunder in order to keep the tribes happy, or risk a tribal uprising. Hordes can raze territories they conquer to get monarch points and raise horde unity.
  • Advanced Culture Change: Adds the ability to choose what culture you want to convert a province to from any neighbouring culture, or restore the original culture of the province.
  • Native Policies: Adds the ability to set your policy towards the natives in your colonies, allowing you to focus on trade, assimilation, or subjugation.
  • Improved Espionage: Two new spy actions allowing you to study the technology of more advanced countries and agitate for liberty in your enemies subjects.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:36 PM

Eternal Watcher

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 10-19-2015, 01:07 PM

Eternal

Doubt my PC can run it.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 10-19-2015, 01:20 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Doubt my PC can run it.
Time to work that arm grease and buy yourself a new one with that hard earned cash.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 10-23-2015, 05:43 PM

Eternal

Old 10-24-2015, 01:29 AM

Eternal

You are not. I already posted about it a while back, when it was announced. But it is getting better and better with each Dev Diary.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:41 PM

Banished

Russia has a fucing huge army :S
Old 12-19-2015, 01:42 PM

Elune

The 'revolution faction' mechanic for CK2 really needs some work.

It's the year 800-something. I'm playing as the duke of Holland, who also controls Gelre, Champagne, Brabant and most of Koln. I'm subject to the king of West Francia, but I've got slightly more troops, plus enough cash to get some mercenaries. So, I decide that the time is right for me to declare myself independent.

Only, I can't create an independence faction. One already exists. One that was founded by a prince-bishop with a glorious 48 soldiers at his disposal. Well, I guess I've still got plenty of soldiers, so why not join this faction?

War starts. Problem #1: My killing of enemy soldiers does not count towards the war score, as the revolution leader is my liege. I've annihilated the entirety of the West Francian, Middle Francian and Lombard armies, without getting a single point for it. Problem #2: The revolution leader has 48 soldiers, who get instantly annihilated for a glorious -50% warscore. We continue fighting, west francia fails to conquer any territory because I keep destroying any significant army. Slowly gaining points, even when the revolutionary leader's heir gets captured. I manage to turn this from a -89% war into a -20% war, with the king's capital 2 days from being conquered (Not sure if that would free the prisoners). Problem #3: And then the revolution leader surrenders.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:45 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
The 'revolution faction' mechanic for CK2 really needs some work.

It's the year 800-something. I'm playing as the duke of Holland, who also controls Gelre, Champagne, Brabant and most of Koln. I'm subject to the king of West Francia, but I've got slightly more troops, plus enough cash to get some mercenaries. So, I decide that the time is right for me to declare myself independent.

Only, I can't create an independence faction. One already exists. One that was founded by a prince-bishop with a glorious 48 soldiers at his disposal. Well, I guess I've still got plenty of soldiers, so why not join this faction?

War starts. Problem #1: My killing of enemy soldiers does not count towards the war score, as the revolution leader is my liege. I've annihilated the entirety of the West Francian, Middle Francian and Lombard armies, without getting a single point for it. Problem #2: The revolution leader has 48 soldiers, who get instantly annihilated for a glorious -50% warscore. We continue fighting, west francia fails to conquer any territory because I keep destroying any significant army. Slowly gaining points, even when the revolutionary leader's heir gets captured. I manage to turn this from a -89% war into a -20% war, with the king's capital 2 days from being conquered (Not sure if that would free the prisoners). Problem #3: And then the revolution leader surrenders.
If you deem yourself powerful enough, why not just declare a war for independence?
Old 12-19-2015, 01:47 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
If you deem yourself powerful enough, why not just declare a war for independence?

Good point. I completely forgot that was still possible after the whole political faction thing got added.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:58 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
How does this mechanic work? Because, in EU3, Thirty Years War was pretty underwhelming. You'd just tune in as Austria and conquer every German minor with an equally powerful Super-Spain, and France was more likely to similarily attack Protestants instead of keeping you in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I would say that if you have the Art of War and Common Sense DLCs, EU IV is superior to EU III.

Anyway....looks like Crusader Kings 2 will finally get an overhauled alliance system.
Finally.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:27 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
How does this mechanic work? Because, in EU3, Thirty Years War was pretty underwhelming. You'd just tune in as Austria and conquer every German minor with an equally powerful Super-Spain, and France was more likely to similarily attack Protestants instead of keeping you in check.

Finally.
Taken from Dev Diaries.

Quote:
HRE & Religion Mechanic
A major feature in Art of War is the introduction of a dynamic Thirty Years? War mechanic called ?Religious Leagues?. These represent the historical conflict between Catholics and Protestants in the Holy Roman Empire which ended in the Peace of Westphalia in 1648.

The Holy Roman Empire starts the game with Catholicism as the dominant faith, naturally. This means that only Catholics can be Emperor, and any Emperor who converts will lose the Emperorship. However, at some point after the Counter-Reformation, if any Elector is Protestant, the ?Evangelical Union? event will fire. This allows the Protestants in the Empire to band together in defense of their faith. The Catholics will form an opposing Catholic League, headed by the Emperor. Any country in Europe is then free to join either League regardless of their faith, with AI countries generally favoring their own religion unless they have strategic reasons to support the other League. For example, France might join the Protestant side to balance against the Emperor.

Protestant countries in the Protestant League can declare war on the Emperor with the ?Religious League? Casus Belli at any time. This will drag in both Leagues and start a League War. A League War unlocks a new war-goal called ?Religious Supremacy?. Enforcing this goal costs 50% warscore and can be enforced by either attacker or defender. If the Emperor wins and enforces the war-goal, Catholic is set as the official faith of the Empire, the Religious Leagues are disabled, and from then on all Electors must be Catholic (in addition to the Emperor). If the Protestants win and enforce this war-goal, Protestantism becomes the dominant faith in the Empire, the Emperor must be Protestant, and the Catholics become the opposition who may then attempt to declare war on the Protestant Emperor to reassert their control.

If the war ends with neither side enforcing their war-goal, a Peace of Westphalia event triggers that establishes Religious Peace in the Empire according to the principle of ?Cuius regio, eius religio?, 'Whose realm, his religion'. This also ends the League Wars and removes the religious restriction on who can be Emperor. League Wars can also end if the opposition league - be it Catholic or Protestant - fails to declare war for too long. If enough time goes by without the opposing faith at least attempting to overthrow the ruling order, the Emperor will win by default and his now dominant religion will be set as official.

To represent the way military technology and tactics developed during the Thirty Years War, and to encourage countries to join in the fighting, any country that joins a League War gets a bonus to army tradition and a reduction in the cost of military technology for 100 years.

If either Catholics or Protestants have won the great religious war and made their faith the official faith of the Holy Roman Empire, countries in Europe who follow that religion will get a bonus to their Legitimacy, Missionary Strength and Tolerance of their own faith, with Protestants getting a slightly larger bonus to represent the greater difficulty they face in achieving it. Finally, an Emperor whose religion is Official will get bonuses in gaining Imperial Authority and to their ability to pass reforms, putting the Empire on a fast track towards unification.
Quote:
The Reformation itself has been overhauled as well and these changes will be free in the launch day patch. We have introduced ?Centers of Reformation?, which are hubs for the spread of the Protestant and Reformed faiths. A Center of Reformation is created for the first three countries to convert to Protestantism and Reformed Protestantism, respectively, and will exist in their provinces spreading their faith to the surrounding provinces unless the province holding the Center of Reformation is conquered and then converted to another religion. This replaces the old system of random events spawning new faiths in provinces and, we think, makes for a stronger and more consistent Reformation, as well as rewarding countries who convert early because they are near one of these Centers of Reformation.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:49 AM

Eternal

Marthen explained it well, but the strength of each faction can vary greatly depending on how much the reformation blobs out and who the rivals of people in the catholic/protestant league are. Some times one side curb stomps the other and some times it's an endless war that lasts for decades.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:00 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Now the next CK2 DLC

Old 01-07-2016, 10:56 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Undead Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Now the next CK2 DLC
Yay. More excuses to execute my vassals for treason!
Old 03-17-2016, 05:00 AM

Eternal

So, Hearts of Iron IV is coming 6. 6. 2016. A rather fitting date. And Stellaris? 6. 5. 2016.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Stellaris is THE thing I am most excited about. Apart from finishing my thesis.

Three planned starts:

Race: Kobolds

Nation: Enlightened Path

Type: Reptilian Divine Mandate

Ethos: Spiritualist, Militarist, Collectivist

Traits: Enduring, Conformist, Decadent

-

British Empire

Human Enlightened Monarchy

Pacifist, Materialist, Xenophile

Traits: Charismatic, Natural Sociologists

-

Avian Science Directorate

Materialist, Militarist, Individualist

Traits: Intelligent, Solitary, Weak, Enduring, Natural Physicists,

Last edited by Timolas; 04-04-2016 at 09:55 AM..
Old 04-04-2016, 12:34 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Stellaris is THE thing I am most excited about. Apart from finishing my thesis.

Three planned starts:

Race: Kobolds

Nation: Enlightened Path

Type: Reptilian Divine Mandate

Ethos: Spiritualist, Militarist, Collectivist

Traits: Enduring, Conformist, Decadent

-

British Empire

Human Enlightened Monarchy

Pacifist, Materialist, Xenophile

Traits: Charismatic, Natural Sociologists

-