Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
With Tyrande's help(Keep his mind clear) and other druids' help, he cleaned almost the whole world and the whole dream through a super storm then kicked Xavius' ass. Like the Spirit Bomb in the end of DBZ, defeated Buu.
But they forgot a piece like at the end of the movie Time Bandits?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:38 AM

Lord of Time

Sooo....Is it worth buying?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:04 AM

Eternal

Quote:
The most disappointing character, from my pov is Fandral, nothing but a crazy druid, take a ugly shadow figure as his son. Talk about create a new world.

The WotA Tyrande was just a young nightelf girl. So I understand her act so differently than WC3.
But 10000 years passed, I think the WC3 Tyrande is better as a brave and a little bit savage leader. About the Stormrage novel one, I agree to put some struggle on her, some of them are very good so I can accept them even she's not as good as the WC3 Tyrande. But later Knaak didn't do a good job on building her character, all she did is calling her goddess, fight satyrs, got captured over and over again, too pale and ideal, pretty much like many female characters in Knaak's other novels.
I agree. I don't know why Knakk characterizes Tyrande this way. I mean Tyrande is not some innocent girl who wouldn't harm a fly. She's ordered the deaths on orcs and Wardens on a whim. Why is she this scared little girl who's afraid to kill?
I don't think Knakk is very good at characterizations. I think he's pretty good at building the template of interesting characters though. Like Lucan and Jarod who have interesting backgrounds and identities. But he makes them act so mary sue that I can't even relate to them as someone I could see realistically act this way. You know what I mean?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:15 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozdormu View Post
Well if you like:

1) Collecting everything that has to do with Warcraft.

2) Like everything by Knaak.

3) Want to have everything with even a bit of lore.

It may be worth it.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:26 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports72Xtrm View Post
I agree. I don't know why Knakk characterizes Tyrande this way. I mean Tyrande is not some innocent girl who wouldn't harm a fly. She's ordered the deaths on orcs and Wardens on a whim. Why is she this scared little girl who's afraid to kill?
I don't think Knakk is very good at characterizations. I think he's pretty good at building the template of interesting characters though. Like Lucan and Jarod who have interesting backgrounds and identities. But he makes them act so mary sue that I can't even relate to them as someone I could see realistically act this way. You know what I mean?
You know, you hit the nail on the head, that is exactly it. I've always been kinda confused about knaak books, I like some of his characters (Jarod, for one.) but then I hate ALOT of stuff from them... But that explains it, he's just not the best at characterizing, he does create good backstories though.

"Icrecrown: I hear the natives can be real liches..."
Old 02-23-2010, 07:45 AM

Hippogryph Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports72Xtrm View Post
I don't know why Knakk characterizes Tyrande this way
Tyrande is a woman. Females in Knaakworld don't kick ass, they sort of vaguely talk about kicking ass while waiting for the menfolk to get back so they can have their babies.

Sentinels? Females kicking ass?! UNPOSSIBLE, I MUST INVENT THE MOON GUARD
Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

What was Teldrassil's corruption's cause? Xavius? a time-traveling ax? a crybaby epidemic?

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 02-23-2010, 08:16 AM

Arch-Druid

off topic - ax is and old england spelling of axe, as far as i know :p
Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackattack View Post
off topic - ax is and old england spelling of axe, as far as i know :p

This is Ax.

That is an axe.

/discussion
Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 AM

Arch-Druid

Old 02-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
What was Teldrassil's corruption's cause? Xavius? a time-traveling ax? a crybaby epidemic?
Xavius was linked to Teldrassil, with Fandral's help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozdormu View Post
Honestly, unless you need it as lore source, it's not worth more than 5 bucks as a novel.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 AM

Eternal

A human? Born in the esmerald dream?
Xie wants YOU to check Wulfang brainchild RIGHT NOW. SO click on this text
Old 02-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
Yes, that's true. His background is interesting but characteristic is like, uh, you will forget this guy after finish with the book if he does not have such a background.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
He has got one of THE most sue-ish backstories I've heard of. His pregnant mother is lured into the Dream by a fairy after his father dies and she's rescued by druids while in labor or something. That puts him right up with Med'An on my list of "horrible births".
Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
He has got one of THE most sue-ish backstories I've heard of. His pregnant mother is lured into the Dream by a fairy after his father dies and she's rescued by druids while in labor or something. That puts him right up with Med'An on my list of "horrible births".
His mother was said, seduced by a fey creature. He was saved by Eranikus, then sent to Krasus because the green dragons thought human don't belong here. In the novel he's more like a tool, a key that been used to help the nightelves than a character. I didn't pay much attention to him, either.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 AM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nene View Post
Tyrande is a woman. Females in Knaakworld don't kick ass, they sort of vaguely talk about kicking ass while waiting for the menfolk to get back so they can have their babies.

This is very common, even among women. Lots of people hate women who kick ass too, and female leaders, this oddly includes a large population of females. I am of the opposite oppinion.
Quote:
Esmerald? Hehe, spanglish much? I'm chilean so it caught my attention right away. "What's this spanish word doing in this english text! *looks at poster's location* Aaaaaah!"
Old 02-23-2010, 09:25 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Holy fuck but how does that make any sense, I mean why did the fairy lured her?
Xie wants YOU to check Wulfang brainchild RIGHT NOW. SO click on this text
Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Because Knaak. Do you need any further explanation?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:29 AM

Dryad

Quote:
Well, there's lots of ancient stories, mostly norse, that work that way.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrantis View Post
This is very common, even among women. Lots of people hate women who kick ass too, and female leaders, this oddly includes a large population of females. I am of the opposite oppinion.

Esmerald? Hehe, spanglish much? I'm chilean so it caught my attention right away. "What's this spanish word doing in this english text! *looks at poster's location* Aaaaaah!"
Quote:

She does fight a lot in the novel and a pretty good fighter, but not good enough as a character, especially as a leader and a military commander. Almost all her later part is about her strong love of Furion, which is too pale.
I once wrote play about her, I know it's hard to understand and set control on the WC3 Tyrande, a strong leader with kindness and femininity, also set flaw and struggle between these elements. Especially for male writers. But that's also the reason why she's the best female character in WC3. I did spend a lot of time to make her better. I guess Knaak won't have time to pay so much attention on her because this book is called Stormrage, not Whisperwind.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:48 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvan View Post
yarly. your point with taht? :p ax is still a valid spelling xP
Old 02-23-2010, 09:56 AM

Dryad

Quote:
She does fight a lot in the novel and a pretty good fighter, but not good enough as a character, especially as a leader and a military commander. Almost all her later part is about her strong love of Furion, which is too pale.
I once wrote play about her, I know it's hard to understand and set control on the WC3 Tyrande, a strong leader with kindness and femininity, also set flaw and struggle between these elements. Especially for male writers. But that's also the reason why she's the best female character in WC3. I did spend a lot of time to make her better. I guess Knaak won't have time to pay so much attention on her because this book is called Stormrage, not Whisperwind.
It's not about that, it's that most writters seem to be unnable to make female characters, you know, do stuff. They always appear as minor or weak or somehow always end as a princess in disress, and only ocationally they will appear to kick ass, mostly because the author thought "Damn, I'm not making her badass enough", so he or she makes the character kick some ass, and then forgets and makes the character return to her standart doormat type.

Typically they try to do stuff and fail, and need a male to get the job done.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 AM

Sha of Disappointment

I guess most writers just want to avoid creating a mary sue and just don't know how to do so. 'cause, let's face it, every_single_time a female charakter is acting over the top or badass, someone will shout "Mary SUE!" just because it is a woman that's not bound and gagged (or the shouter just plain has no clue what ms stands for).

well, that goes for most writers.

Knaack just sucks.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:31 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

The problem isn't that authors cannot create such characters, but they can't juxtapose them against male leads well. Furion was without a doubt the main character here, and so Knaak wasn't able to balance this fact against other characters around him. As Slow noted, the beginning was decent but the novel eventually got away from its author, until at some point Furion was forced to develop super powers to save the day.

I think I know what went wrong though, Knaak's trying to create a sweeping epic out of a single novel, and he's doing so with characters that aren't of his own design. It's LotR envy, where Knaak wants to fit an entire universe into a small story and simply doesn't know how to pare down events until they make sense. Had this been another 3 novel deal with new characters maybe things would feel slightly less ridiculous (granted it's still Knaak we're talking about) but instead he couldn't handle the idea that thing weren't blown to grandiose proportions.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:43 AM

Eternal

Quote:
*Psst*

The Sentinels were formed AFTER the War of the Ancients. Night Elf Society wasn't based on gender roles back then. But i guess Knaak even gets shit for consistency nowadays.

And that's a pretty weak example for your argument.

Quote:
This, however, blows my fucking mind. How did anyone involved in the making of this book thought this was a good idea, i'll never know.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas

Last edited by Vicious; 02-23-2010 at 11:47 AM..