Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 06-05-2015, 10:41 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Default Making Capitals relevant

Blizz churns out two new capital cities per expansion. But, not all of the capital cities even see use. Silvermoon and Exodar are both Ghost towns whenever I visit them. Blizz seems uninterested in updating either of the associated starting areas, but it feels wrong to me that racial capitals should be abandoned. I'd like to discuss ways to make these cities relevant.

The easiest answer is to use these cities instead of whatever racial capitals Blizz makes. It would require some creative portal use, but I think it could work.

Another thought I had specifically for Exodar: the city is a ship. What if there was a single orb you could click on, and one loading screen later you are still in the Exodar, but the Exodar is on a different world? Could be relevant in the portal worlds expansion.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-05-2015, 11:09 PM

Eternal

Street, at the very least, gave the impression that even before they were done putting out Cataclysm, they didn't like the concept of players always using portals to get to the new content. It engendered this sense of disconnection with the content that wasn't really beneficial to players, even if it was done because Cata's zones were disconnected from each other and they'd spent a ton of resources rebuilding (and/or wrecking) Stormwind and Orgrimmar.

This is why the Shrines in MoP were ultimately part of the expansion, and why Stormshield and Warspear were part of WoD. Blizzard wanted players to be immersed int he new content, and that meant being on the new continent. Maybe having some reason to come back to Azeroth capitals was considered necessary (i.e. Shrines not having Auction Houses or class trainers) but by WoD they've clearly evolved past that.

So to put all that into context: I don't see Blizzard re-using any of the old capitals to any degree because they largely belong the times in which they were introduced. I wouldn't mind seeing a not-busted Exodar in play at some point, but I'm not going to hold my breath until we're doing something like an Argus expansion where it would be exceptionally relevant.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:04 AM

World Builder

Fun, repeatable (not daily, repeatable, you can do them multiple times same day) quests that take place in the capitals.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-06-2015, 07:44 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

How about occasional urban warfare? A little PVE in the capitals once in a while?
Old 06-06-2015, 08:31 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
How about occasional urban warfare? A little PVE in the capitals once in a while?
Isolated to uninstanced versions of places like the stocades or ragefire, yeah.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-06-2015, 10:51 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Isolated to uninstanced versions of places like the stocades or ragefire, yeah.
Something like the Siege of Dalaran in 5.1

With more standing value than neverending WSG or AB. Something you can see the consecuences, even if temporary, like Wintergrasp.

Last edited by Temo; 06-06-2015 at 10:53 AM..
Old 06-06-2015, 12:26 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temo View Post
Something like the Siege of Dalaran in 5.1

With more standing value than neverending WSG or AB. Something you can see the consecuences, even if temporary, like Wintergrasp.
Don't want that for capitals.

If your faction is getting its ass kicked regularly in what should be its most secure territory, that's just depressing.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-07-2015, 06:09 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Don't want that for capitals.

If your faction is getting its ass kicked regularly in what should be its most secure territory, that's just depressing.
Siege of Dalaran was instanced, of course the idea would be to make it an instance :3

Tags
game design, world of warcraft