Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 08-12-2015, 10:11 PM

Banished

I don't see how WCIV being an RTS is supposed to salvage WC's setting.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:51 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegrune View Post
Don't forget the Remake-verse.
If the remake is released before Warcraft IV (which I am fairly positive it will) and if it is its own universe, I could see Warcraft IV happening in the same universe. It would be logical. Release the remake of Warcraft I-III, build a foundation and build/release Warcraft IV on that foundation. And I, for one, would like that far more than; release it all in WoW-verse and retcon the shit out of everything. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdus View Post
I don't see how WCIV being an RTS is supposed to salvage WC's setting.
The thing is. RTS games, both in general and both in case of Blizzard, have far more focused writing than MMOs, as they are usually written by one or two persons. While this does not preclude bad writing, as those writers still can be bad, it has two effects. First of all, if the writer is actually good, there is a large chance that the thing will be okay to awesome, as his efforts will not be hampered by other incompetent writers in the house. Second, even if he is bad, the thing is usually (unless he is really terrible) somewhat consistent. This is a case of Starcraft II. Although it was pretty bad*, it at least was consistent within itself (although not with Starcraft I, but that is once again an issue of different writing and vision) and honestly, it wasn't nearly as bad as anything in WoW. And it seems Blizzard realized that there is a problem, as the new writer for LotV seems far more competent than the old one, although this is arguable and uncertain until LotV is actually released.

So, in a nutshell, there is no guarantee that RTS will salvage Warcraft. But it might result in more competent writing, which might result in actually a good product (storywise). And either way, it will most likely result in something that is better than what we get in WoW.

*I would argue that Starcraft 2 writing wasn't really bad, but was pretty average. Problem is that it felt so lackluster when compared to the awesome writing of the Starcraft and Starcraft: Brood War, as well as inconsistent.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:05 PM

Elune

You know...

I really wouldn't mind Warcraft 4 being developed alongside WoW..

Actually, I think what I'd do is make them side by side for a while, with WoW telling broad strokes, and WC4 showing what happened in areas not in the spotlight.

So, for instance, during MoP, we would see what's going on in Kalimdor and Ashenvale.

This let's two different teams develop stuff, fills a current lore void, makes lore fans and RTS fans happy, and doesn't step on any WoW toes past and present.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:14 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I'm afraid.

What if they make Warcraft 4 and the story sucks?
It's easier than you think. Just omit playable red and blue and have it take place on Pandaria and other places that arent kalimdor or eastern kingdoms or draenor.

Or better yet, just have it all on pandaria.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:42 PM

Guru of Gilneas

WC4 would be a great opportunity to time-jump the WoW setting, but I don't see that happening so long as WoW continues. It's kinda why I wish that WoW was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
As for what the story could be I think there's lots of possibilities.

While I wouldn't want the story to be in the same timeline of WoW I do think you could take a lot of the highlights of WoW and have those fit in to the RTS style. Also, I think a break from the Legion would be nice. Maybe have the primary antagonists be the Old Gods.

Like what if you had a Dwarf campaign. It could follow Brann or Magni. The first level could introduce you to the Bronzebeards and have them retaking Uldum from the Dark Irons. Then they find out about Ulduar and head to Northrend. There they could fight the Scourge a little, find the Frost Dwarves and Muradin, capture Ulduar, and accidentally release Yogg Saron. Message than comes to Brann and Muradin that the Dark Irons have attacked Dun Morogh and they head back to Ironforge. Magni gets Diamondized, and then Muradin and Brann attack BRM and fight Ragnaros, and then establish the Council of Three Hammers.
Hahahahahaha! Wait, you were serious about the idea of a dwarf campaign?

Last edited by Genesis; 08-13-2015 at 12:10 AM..
Old 08-13-2015, 01:40 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

How about Diablo 4 RTS. Id like a horror RTS. I don't know if that's possible, though.

Could be the military campaigns of Leoric, where we see him go crazy and become more and more sadistic.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:33 AM

Arch-Druid

please God please !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2015, 09:58 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
How about Diablo 4 RTS. Id like a horror RTS. I don't know if that's possible, though.

Could be the military campaigns of Leoric, where we see him go crazy and become more and more sadistic.
The armies in Diablo are pretty boring for the most part though, just archers and swords and spears, they don't keep casters on hand or big warbeasts or anything.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-13-2015, 10:20 AM

Arch-Druid

I think it could happen in the future. Anduin's son still the high king and thrall's son as warchief. we could also see the King Emperor of the dwarfs Dagran II
Old 08-13-2015, 10:28 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
I think it could happen in the future. Anduin's son still the high king and thrall's son as warchief. we could also see the King Emperor of the dwarfs Dagran II
No.

WC4, if they do it, should have no connection to WoW, or be set in the past.

Preferably, if it ignores WoW, it'll be set long after WC3

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-13-2015, 10:41 AM

Priestess of the Moon

I'd rather WC4 be placed currently with or ahead of the present in WoW; prequels are just lazy fallbacks used when writers have run out of story.
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Old 08-13-2015, 02:00 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
The armies in Diablo are pretty boring for the most part though, just archers and swords and spears, they don't keep casters on hand or big warbeasts or anything.
Its potential would lie elsewhere.

On WC4, I don't think setting it in the distant future is a good idea because when WoW will be gone, a huge part of the story will disappear from the franchise. It's better if the story picks up after WC3 and simply is a different take on WoW's story.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:44 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Hahahahahaha! Wait, you were serious about the idea of a dwarf campaign?
About wanting a Dwarf campaign? Yes. Thinking that it's at all possible? No.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Well, W4 is the obvious answer, zero surprises there.

I could expect a remake of W1 and W2, with a few distinct races:

* Alliance side: Humans, Dwarves, High elves, Draenei
* Horde side: Orcs, Forest trolls, Ogres, Goblins

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 08-14-2015, 02:53 AM

Banished

Quote:
No.

WC4, if they do it, should have no connection to WoW, or be set in the past.

Preferably, if it ignores WoW, it'll be set long after WC3
This.

I don't mind them treating WoW as a spin-off and "Resetting" the Main Canon to the end of Frozen Throne. It would give them a HELL of a lot more freedom to go forward with and, in fairness, it might let them address characters/plots they either didn't get to do (but wanted to) or did but regret the manner in which they were done (like...a lot of stuff in WoW).

I'm still not convinced that will happen however. If they DO a WC4 I have a feeling that, sadly, it will just be a retelling of WoW in RTS format. I'd still be glad to play that, I won't lie, but it's not what I'd prefer.

Quote:
I want it, and I certainly don't see why it's impossible.

EDIT

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...es-warcraft-4/

A sad reality check. On both Blizzard and the Gaming Industry as a whole.

Microtransactions are fucking cancer.

Last edited by Hammerbrew; 08-14-2015 at 02:58 AM..
Old 08-14-2015, 02:58 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I'd really love a single player Warcraft RPG. We've experience Azeroth "on the ground" with our one singular character for just as long if not longer than Warcraft has been an RPG franchise. Give me WoW-like aesthetics and good storytelling (maybe bootstrap Obsidian's writers, since they're literally a 15 minute walk away from Blizzard) and you're golden.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:59 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Sure once everyone else gets their own personalized wish-fulfillment campaign for their pet race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
I want it, and I certainly don't see why it's impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
EDIT

Yep, this Forbes article reaffirms what I have been saying. WC4 is a pipedream. The RTS team will likely be downsized and funneled into the HotS team.

Last edited by Genesis; 08-14-2015 at 03:06 AM..
Old 08-14-2015, 05:42 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I'd really love a single player Warcraft RPG. We've experience Azeroth "on the ground" with our one singular character for just as long if not longer than Warcraft has been an RPG franchise. Give me WoW-like aesthetics and good storytelling (maybe bootstrap Obsidian's writers, since they're literally a 15 minute walk away from Blizzard) and you're golden.
I'd be onboard with that. I have more fun in singleplayer anyway.

Alternatively, play Elder Scrolls and make an orc character named Thrall.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:26 AM

The Sun King

If WC4 is made:

It will be multiplayer-only, impossible to enter without an online connection with the server, all the seven campaigns become episodes released throughout two years that you have to pay extra for, ultimate units for the factions are buyable in the game store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I'd be onboard with that. I have more fun in singleplayer anyway.

Alternatively, play Elder Scrolls and make an orc character named Thrall.
You know... I tried multiple times, but every time I named myself Thrall in Morrowind the game would glitch and the warden wouldn't come down the stairs.

Last edited by Kir the Wizard; 08-14-2015 at 06:28 AM..
Old 08-14-2015, 06:31 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I would love that if the game would be an open world RPG. Best would be to take some "smaller" area, not the whole world, and make it more elaborate and grand (both in appearance and size). So for example, I could imagine a game taking place in Azeroth (continent) only, but this Azeroth would be like 4-5 times larger than the one in World of Warcraft, with better geography and all that. Now, few settings I would kill for:

Northern/central Kalimdor sometime before Warcraft III. War of the Satyr for example.

Azeroth after the Second War.

Northrend before the Third War. War of the Spider and all that. I would really kill for this one.

Anyway, regarding aesthetics. As SP games can afford far better graphics than MMOs, I would like a little bit of "realism", not just a pure copy/paste of the World of Warcraft style. Now, I am not talking about the abandonment of the Warcraft style. God, no. I am talking about bringing it closer to the cinematic/concept art level, which is not as exaggerated as World of Warcraft is, as it can afford all those little details etc. Or in other words, about bringing it back to the RTS era level, when things were not exaggerated as much as they are in World of Warcraft (I am mainly talking about weapons, armor and physique of characters).
Old 08-14-2015, 11:23 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:

I guess. That article's pretty dramatic, and there's a lot of conjecture and speculation based on very little evidence.

I don't see all these bizarre 'war of the spider', prequel WarCraft RTSes happening. There's no way there'll be a WarCraft RTS game without Orcs and Humans at the very, very least (and Undead and Night Elves are almost a requirement too in some capacity or another).

But I wouldn't rule out them just making WarCraft 4 at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbourean View Post
I'd rather WC4 be placed currently with or ahead of the present in WoW; prequels are just lazy fallbacks used when writers have run out of story.
Frequently, not always. (Metal Gear Solid 3 spawned a whole new timeline for the Metal Gear franchise basically; Naoki Urasawa uses flashbacks to expand and enrich his stories all the time.)

Problem with a prequel in this case is you have to not use all the major themes and races and such and focus on something new and weird. And that just... won't sell...

Last edited by Aldrius; 08-14-2015 at 11:39 AM..
Old 08-14-2015, 02:22 PM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Sure once everyone else gets their own personalized wish-fulfillment campaign for their pet race.

Yep, this Forbes article reaffirms what I have been saying. WC4 is a pipedream. The RTS team will likely be downsized and funneled into the HotS team.
I wouldn't say it's bleak, we all know the popularity of certain game types comes and goes, even if RTS goes out of favor now a there's almost certainly a time not long from now that it will have a resurgence, it's just not likely to be very soon. I always hoped HotS would fail though, fucking Asians keeping things alive that should die in concept.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:30 PM

Arch-Druid

Does e-sports net Blizzard much money at all? If so, we might yet get an RTS. Though I suppose these days LoL might be as popular or more compared to Starcraft 2... But I really don't get watching MOBA games. SC1 and WC3 ruled as e-sports.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:31 PM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegrune View Post
SC1 and WC3 ruled as e-sports.
I thought WCIII wasn't that popular partially as the items from creeping made it difficult to judge who was ahead (plus the creeping itself wasn't that exciting).
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC
Old 08-14-2015, 02:35 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomEvilGuy View Post
I thought WCIII wasn't that popular partially as the items from creeping made it difficult to judge who was ahead (plus the creeping itself wasn't that exciting).
Well, it depends on what you mean by "popular." SC1 probably had a much 'bigger' league (in terms of the amount of money involved), but it was almost exclusively based on the strength of Korea. I think WC3 was much more popular internationally.

But you're right that qua e-sports, WC3 had the RNG problem. The games were still fun to watch though.

Tags
blizzard, rts