Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 03-15-2018, 02:05 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
So destroyed Teldrassil is just going to be a skybox effect? I mean it's a good use/extension of the Argus skybox tech, but what happens when someone flies to Teldrassil's physical location? Will they just put a big invisible wall?
Presumably they'd just keep it out in fatigue waters so you die flying there.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:40 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
I don't see why they would do that. It would be far easier to select a seafloor tile, select the area containing the zone, and level out the terrain based on the seafloor tile. Better than having to sculpt that terrain and add smoldering effects.

All that's left to do after that is delete the NPC spawns and the various assets. Select the area and hit delete.

I'm sure it's more complex than that, but I'd be shocked if it took more than an hour.
Well, something must remain in order for Zidormi to be there to phase the zone.

Leaving a stump is pretty much what you described. Except that, instead of leveling at sea floor, they would level it on a higher part of the tree. Then they hollow it out a little and use a burnt texture.

But whatever they do, the point is that I doubt they'll just use a skybox effect to feature the tree. I think that skybox is for the scenario, when the tree is still burning and you can't fly there, so you'll be seeing everything from Darkshore.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 03-15-2018, 03:08 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

So Taelia, one of the characters we encounter a lot in Kul Tiras, had the quest where she talks about her parents updated this build:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest "The Old Knight"
These days Cyrus is the Harbormaster, but he used to be one of Daelin Proudmoore's most trusted knights! Until I came along. You see, my mother was from Lordaeron and my father was a Stormwind knight. When he lost my mother to the Scourge, my father sent me here. Then he... well, all I've been told is that he gave his life to defeat the Lich King. Daelin hand-picked Cyrus to raise me. He would have never taken a desk job otherwise. Anyway, he's probably checking in your other ship. Let's go!
So it looks pretty likely that she's Bolvar's daughter.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:13 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post

Leaving a stump is pretty much what you described. Except that, instead of leveling at sea floor, they would level it on a higher part of the tree. Then they hollow it out a little and use a burnt texture.

But whatever they do, the point is that I doubt they'll just use a skybox effect to feature the tree. I think that skybox is for the scenario, when the tree is still burning and you can't fly there, so you'll be seeing everything from Darkshore.
Why would you not just put that character, depending on whether they actually kick the Night Elves lock stock and barrel off the continent or not, in Darkshore or Stormwind Harbor? Why would Zidormi have to be on Rut'theran?
Old 03-15-2018, 03:19 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Why would you not just put that character, depending on whether they actually kick the Night Elves lock stock and barrel off the continent or not, in Darkshore or Stormwind Harbor? Why would Zidormi have to be on Rut'theran?
Usually Zidormi is placed right in front of whatever is being phased (she's at the gates of Theramore, on the outskirts of the Iron Horde warfront in the Blasted Lands, and at the unscarred tauren camp in Silithus) so she would be in the zone. Darkshore could work though, especially if they end up re-directing the Stormwind harbor boat to it.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:24 PM

Arch-Druid

It's actually ironic that Burned Teldrassil looks more like an Actual Tree than the ingame one.

Also, maybe they do something like the insta-kill fel bomb bridge to Antorus.

@Taelia: Interesting.

Last edited by Vineyard; 03-15-2018 at 03:29 PM..
Old 03-15-2018, 03:45 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
It's actually ironic that Burned Teldrassil looks more like an Actual Tree than the ingame one.

Also, maybe they do something like the insta-kill fel bomb bridge to Antorus.

@Taelia: Interesting.
Eh, you have to consider the technical limitations. Imagine sculpting or creating assets for all of the branches of an entire tree of that size - most of which no one will ever see because they're all above the flight ceiling - just so that people with view distances in excess of what the game allows can tell that it's not a plateau with some branches sticking out.

If I'm using a car prop for a play, the audience probably isn't going to be able to know that I didn't spend the time to mock up an engine to put inside the trunk. So why spend that time?
Old 03-15-2018, 03:53 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:

I was going to make an explanation as to why I think they're probably sticking with the skybox as it would look better than an updated version of the zone, but Kyalin already described it perfectly.

Quote:
Eh, you have to consider the technical limitations. Imagine sculpting or creating assets for all of the branches of an entire tree of that size - most of which no one will ever see because they're all above the flight ceiling - just so that people with view distances in excess of what the game allows can tell that it's not a plateau with some branches sticking out.

If I'm using a car prop for a play, the audience probably isn't going to be able to know that I didn't spend the time to mock up an engine to put inside the trunk. So why spend that time?
They've struggled with Teldrassil looking like its supposed to since Vanilla. The skybox seems to be the only solution that looks half decent.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:24 PM

Arch-Druid

I thought the new Teldrassil was a world object?

Also agree Taelia is almost certainly Bovlar's daughter.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:42 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

I only said that it's ironic. I completly understand that it wouldn't be worth the effort.

This Zone was created nearly 15 years ago and we can clearly see how much in terms of tech and graphic the game has changed.

Doing a "Realistic Teldrassil" would only have worked with the Outer Tree being some kind of Optical Illusion and Flying Restrictions so that Darnassus could only be accessed via the the Portal Gate. (aka the Upper Tree being an Instanced Zone.)

Last edited by Vineyard; 03-15-2018 at 04:46 PM..
Old 03-15-2018, 05:27 PM

Arch-Druid

Dark Iron have tatoos too.

http://www.wowhead.com/news=282744/d...-customization

Awesome tatoos.

Thus making the void elves again the only allied race without such customization.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:51 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

They're also the first allied race to get a unique paladin mount:

Old 03-15-2018, 06:06 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Well, it's a good thing Mag'har orcs being horde was confirmed by their /silly and /flirt interactions; otherwise this would have blown the alliance theory to new heights:

This also suggests either Saurfang isn't the one who recruits the Mag'har OR we'll get them before launch as theorized.
I read on the wow subreddit that Christie Golden supposedly said that there would be fake lines to be datamined, so they could keep things under wraps for longer, and we should take things with a grain of salt. Is this real? Because Saurfang forsaking the Horde in one dialogue and asking to speak privately to Anduin in another... Seems to be just asking for a shitstorm...
Old 03-15-2018, 08:30 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
Allied races are a dumb idea that will inevitably backfire (I guess it already kinda does a little). They should just have gone the traditional route and give each faction one normal race and extend on it, like Zandalari for Horde and whatever for the Alliance.
My only problem would be leveling those bastards for their heritage armor, right after nerfing the shit out of the leveling experience. I can understand wanting to extend the content as much as they can before BfA is released, but this is too much, and certainly I wont be leveling all of them. Even more, I dont want to make another rogue, dk, druid or warrior just to get those damn armors.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:40 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_C View Post
I read on the wow subreddit that Christie Golden supposedly said that there would be fake lines to be datamined, so they could keep things under wraps for longer, and we should take things with a grain of salt. Is this real? Because Saurfang forsaking the Horde in one dialogue and asking to speak privately to Anduin in another... Seems to be just asking for a shitstorm...
I mean, yeah... that reads like AAA devs thumbing their noses at the playerbase.

I hope it results in more lost subs.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:53 PM

Chimaera

Another detail from the Q&A I haven't seen mentioned here is this bit from 19:57:
Quote:
Lore: Next question comes from Cyclon, who asks "Can we get confirmation for the Allied Races planned for BfA? I'm pretty sure we all want to know so we know what we'll want to level up! Plan our character deletions accordingly and all". Uh, so, real quick, could you just tell us every single Allied Race that's ever planned to be added to the game?

Hazzikostas: Uh, not currently, sorry, I think-- we've mentioned a few, you've seen, you know, Dark Iron, [mentions?] Mag'har, Draenor orcs -- just to be clear, 'mag'har' means 'uncorrupted' in Orcish, it's not the literal, the Mag'har faction from, you know, the pox survivors from traditional Outland, it's just brown orcs, think of them that way, various tribes -- and then obviously Kul Tiran and Zandalar that we just talked about [...]
Not that we really needed any more evidence for the Mag'har being from AU Draenor instead of Outland (or maybe both, judging by this answer), but it's nice to get official confirmation of it.

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Last edited by Pepe Stormstout; 03-15-2018 at 11:55 PM..
Old 03-16-2018, 02:24 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_C View Post
How is that surprising, though? What happened the last time a homicidal raid boss took over the Horde? Saurfang sided with the rebellion. We don't know yet what form the True Horde Rebellion (trademark) will take but unless Baine gets shafted again it's likely to be mounted by Saurfang and Baine. Saurfang probably knows about Baine's connection to Anduin, and he happens to be around the place due to having been imprisoned there. Why WOULDN'T he at least ask to talk to Anduin? If anything i'd be surprised 1.) why he's only doing that NOW, and 2.) why he's the only one. (Baine may be busy defending the Horde - the Alliance won't listen on the Battlefield of all places - and trying not to get his plotting cought. Shit takes time.)
Old 03-16-2018, 02:58 AM

Wisp

Perhaps the Teldrassil skybox will be use on some of Kalimdor's regions (Stonetalon Mountains, Azuremyst Isle, Durotar even maybe) which would show parts of Teldrassil's burning visible to the players that are far from it.

Especially for the case of Azeremyst Isle since it's technically close to Teldrassil but can't be seen since it's in an Outland instance.

It would increase the impact of "War as started" at the start of Battle for Azeroth.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:07 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Dark Iron have tatoos too.

http://www.wowhead.com/news=282744/d...-customization

Awesome tatoos.

Thus making the void elves again the only allied race without such customization.
You can not complain about the amount of personalization of the void elves, the nightborne have less personalization.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:25 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
You can not complain about the amount of personalization of the void elves, the nightborne have less personalization.
Just because you are not satisfied doesn't mean I need to be.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:53 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Just because you are not satisfied doesn't mean I need to be.
if they give tattoos to the void elves I want beards for the nightborne and more skin colors and hairstyles
Old 03-16-2018, 04:54 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
A little more personalization vs established characters, meaningful lore, a real capital and actual development in the expansion... Mhm... Though i'll admit, Ive been wondering for a time whether you are a troll or just an irrationnal fanboy.

Anyway for tatoos, unless they are in the face, they're not that important to me.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:31 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
if they give tattoos to the void elves I want beards for the nightborne and more skin colors and hairstyles
All allied races need more options. I'm focusing on the one that bothers me the most.

You worry about your interests, I worry about mine.

Nightborne need more skin colors (I'd give them almost-black, white-grey, white-blue), more hair colors (I'd give them light blue and vivid blue, like blood elf DKs'), more hair colors, fix male shoulder size (scale down a bit), add white tatoo options (like in PTR, those were somewhat cool).

I'd give Lightforged draenei more skin colors (pale golden skin), hair colors (black, dark blonde), more hair styles.

Void elves need Alleria-like warpaint with vivid colors (dark blue, violet, red), more hair colors (I'd give them bege, silver-blue, dark red), more skin colors, more hair styles (males need more long hair styles, females need more short hair, plus some tentacle styles should have no-tentacle versions).

Highmountain... I really don't know what to add to them. They seem fine for me, but I never cared for tauren in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
A little more personalization vs established characters, meaningful lore, a real capital and actual development in the expansion... Mhm...
That, too. At least nightborne are a meaningful addition. You play a void elf, you feel disconnected from your character. It's an empty husk.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:55 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
How is that surprising, though? What happened the last time a homicidal raid boss took over the Horde? Saurfang sided with the rebellion. We don't know yet what form the True Horde Rebellion (trademark) will take but unless Baine gets shafted again it's likely to be mounted by Saurfang and Baine. Saurfang probably knows about Baine's connection to Anduin, and he happens to be around the place due to having been imprisoned there. Why WOULDN'T he at least ask to talk to Anduin? If anything i'd be surprised 1.) why he's only doing that NOW, and 2.) why he's the only one. (Baine may be busy defending the Horde - the Alliance won't listen on the Battlefield of all places - and trying not to get his plotting cought. Shit takes time.)
Optics. The Darkspear Rebellion was a in-Horde business. Vol'jin led it, with help from other Horde elements. The Alliance was conducting a parallel campaign against the Horde, but, AFAIK, there was no partnership between Varian and Vol'jin, or similar - not anything even close to the level of cooperation saw in the SSO or the Northrend Campaign, at least.

Here, the information that has been datamined makes it seem like Saurfang is outright selling out the Horde and partnering with the Alliance. It's a much more drastic move than the Darkspear Rebellion. I'm not saying that he is wrong, I'm saying that, IMO, Horde players wouldn't take well to this kind of airing the Horde's dirty laundry, instead of solving the problem internally.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:01 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Honestly both of them tend to look very same-ish. Nightborne only have 3 skin tones but Void Elves have 4 skin tones that might as well be the exact same because you can barely tell the difference between them. They're all pale white skin tones with a slightly "off" shade to them that you can't tell through gear anyway. (My Rogue picked skin tone #3 and my Priest picked #6 and I still can't tell the difference.)

And Void Elves being one of the allied races that has a heritage armor set that can fully show off tattoos makes it weirder that they don't get to have the option for tattoos.

I'm glad that they acknowledge Nightborne need more options. They sure do, I won't deny it. But Void Elves lack variety in aesthetics as well and players are well in their right to point that out to them.

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 03-16-2018 at 08:04 AM..

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, gilgoblins, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft