Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 08-22-2018, 05:21 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
I don't see why it would become a meme, seeing as it looks like it's just a part that the PCGames article writer wrote for the article, not something that Micheal Bybee or anyone else at Blizzard said themselves.
It doesn't need to come from Blizzard to become a meme. It just needs to be catchy.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 08-22-2018, 07:52 AM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
It doesn't need to come from Blizzard to become a meme. It just needs to be catchy.
Yeah, catchiness is all about a meme!

Yes, I noticed in the article Bybee didn't say that, the article writer did. They should have separated the paragraphs to distinguish them.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:25 AM

Arch-Druid

I'm still advancing on the Alliance War Campaign, and I'm enjoying it. My main gripe is that it isn't voiced. Of course, the story is far from perfect, but, compared to how the Alliance is usually portrayed, it's been so much better.

I just did the chapter on the boats ("Blood in the Water", I think?), and boy, it was very good. I loved to see Shandris killing Dreven, and Falstad and the Wildhammer being effective at their own thing. Falstad owning Nathanos was also a great moment.

I also liked the previous chapter, with the blood elves. I like Umbric. He uses things that I consider morally dubious at best (sending people into the Void seems to be a horrific thing, but we don't get to know what happens to those characters after being banished. Is the banishment permanent? Do they die? Do they stay suffering forever? We don't know.), and yet his motivations make he feel like a genuine good guy. Moral grayness, Alliance style.

Also, the little interactions between the races has been good. Void and night elves, dark iron and wildhammer dwarves, gnomes. Even the dynamic between Wyrmbane and Shaw is a nice way to show Stormwind humans as less generic. The only races I'm missing there are the draenei flavors and worgen, but at least Genn is the main Alliance figure in Kul Tiras so far and is essential in rescuing Jaina.

Alliance works so much better without the High King figure being the sole focus of attention. Anduin really feels like a king, because he's absent, a figurehead at best, rather than being a warrior in the frontlines. And that is awesome.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:21 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
"Unfortunate genocide", now to become a meme along with "human potential" and "morally grey".
It is just a game, but I truly wonder what kind of person would be as thoughtless to link both of those words in such a way. That it was a journalist is hilarious.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:38 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Some guild-invite spammer is trying to sell me on the idea that guilds are now server-spanning, did i miss something?
Old 08-22-2018, 12:20 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Some guild-invite spammer is trying to sell me on the idea that guilds are now server-spanning, did i miss something?
It has been that way since at least late Legion. I know because I joined a guild where I am from Nagrand but most people are from Kil'rog. Servers that are merged (except it looks like your server still exists because Blizz are pussies) share everything including guilds.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:31 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
As in, cross-realm guilds?

If memory serves that's a thing, but it's limited to only working between specific pairs or groups of realm servers that are connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Servers that are merged (except it looks like your server still exists because Blizz are pussies) share everything including guilds.
That may be a functional design choice; if a zone or instance becomes over-crowded, sharding of non-grouped players to manage the population may initially start with filtering them by realm name.

Last edited by ARM3481; 08-22-2018 at 12:38 PM..
Old 08-22-2018, 12:48 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

While I like the Void Elves' whole "we align well with the ideals of the Alliance and will put this shadow magic we've learned to proper use" it does make me question why they didn't do that concept with Worgen rather than just making them into furry Night Elves and now just trusted advisors to High King without any real other "thing" to them that sets them apart in terms of their thematic. Just seems unnecessary, but again it's why I've decided to accept Void Elves instead of questioning it too much.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:01 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Hmkay thanks
i always assumed spambots just didn't register different realms as different. Cross-Realm Guilds is just weird. Guild Chat must be a crowded nightmare if there's many people from long named-realms.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:54 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
While I like the Void Elves' whole "we align well with the ideals of the Alliance and will put this shadow magic we've learned to proper use" it does make me question why they didn't do that concept with Worgen rather than just making them into furry Night Elves and now just trusted advisors to High King without any real other "thing" to them that sets them apart in terms of their thematic. Just seems unnecessary, but again it's why I've decided to accept Void Elves instead of questioning it too much.
I see worgen as gilneans first and worgen second. There's no "worgen culture" yet, just gilnean culture having to cope with a curse.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:15 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
I see worgen as gilneans first and worgen second. There's no "worgen culture" yet, just gilnean culture having to cope with a curse.
I feel like they wouldn't necessarily need to be "worgen first" to have still been shadow users, it would have complimented the gothic style of Gilneas and its national color being black (something of which feels like it's getting softly retconned away as Worgen become more and more like Stormwind's sidekicks and wearing that nation's colors instead). Not much would really need to have changed about them, when looking at Void Elves, but it would have at least distinguished them much better from Night Elves.

Of course, I would have also just liked Worgen to have their own sub-factions with at least one group, maybe cured Nightbane Worgen from Duskwood, to have all those shadow-wielding trappings as part of their theme whereas people who like the civilized dapper Worgen or the feral savage Worgen can have that fantasy in either the Gilneans or Bloodfangs.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:51 AM

Sha of Disappointment

I'm about a dozen quests into Drustvar on my human. It's my least favorite zone on Kul Tiras. I don't particularly care for the theme of the cursed village.

So far, it's been more tun than 90 percent of the Zandalari content.
Here's my main gripe with the faction-split this expansion: in Legion, i could easily stomach Stormheim and most of Highmoutain. Can't stand the elf-zones but i could, for the most part, avoid them just by chosing.
In BFA i hate every single Horde-zone. Unless i reroll over a dozen characters, i'm screwed in regards to levelling my alts.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:20 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
I'm about a dozen quests into Drustvar on my human. It's my least favorite zone on Kul Tiras. I don't particularly care for the theme of the cursed village.

So far, it's been more tun than 90 percent of the Zandalari content.
Here's my main gripe with the faction-split this expansion: in Legion, i could easily stomach Stormheim and most of Highmoutain. Can't stand the elf-zones but i could, for the most part, avoid them just by chosing.
In BFA i hate every single Horde-zone. Unless i reroll over a dozen characters, i'm screwed in regards to levelling my alts.
I'm surprised you didn't like Zandalar. I get the city's tiered design being very controversial, but the zones themselves are full of dinosaurs and turtles?

Unrelated, I just had an idea on what they could for the faction conflict resolution based on how we've now got two pratically identical Proudmoore brothers on opposite sides.

What if a way to make Sylvanas "not Garrosh" while having also written themselves into the corner that it's impossible to say she's not a villain/raid boss (she's done every single thing Arthas did except kill a family member without them expecting it, which she almost did and still plans to anyway. So if Sylvanas isn't a villain and doesn't deserve to be a raid boss, than Arthas wasn't a villain and didn't deserve to be a raid boss) then maybe the solution could be have her only be a boss to the Alliance instead of doing a Siege of Orgrimmar style rebellion as well.

In other words, what if the faction conflict is resolved in a raid that's completely different for each faction. The same number of bosses and same layout (or identical but reskinned ones depending on where it would be located), and the bosses and trash all have the same abilities but renamed. You'd have Derek Proudmoore for Horde, Tandred Proudmoore for Alliance, Jaina for Horde, Talanji or Thalyrssa for Alliance, etc. Not all of them would even have to die, just get beaten.

Then the final boss would be Sylvanas for Alliance, Alleria (a perfect opportunity to give them the exact same abilities, just void themed verses shadow and blight) for Horde.

Double unrelated:

Last edited by Insane Guy of Doom; 08-23-2018 at 06:35 AM..
Old 08-23-2018, 07:37 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
I'm surprised you didn't like Zandalar. I get the city's tiered design being very controversial, but the zones themselves are full of dinosaurs and turtles?
I'd say i hate about 90 percent of BFA; i do enjoy the Tortollans, Turtles, Dinosaurs, the Mission Table and i am looking forward to Warfronts. Unfortunately all of that comes with drawbacks:
o) the Tortollans have barely a role in the story, very few quests and their endlessly repetitive three World Quests have managed to annoy me so much i don't even enjoy the disgustingly cute hatchling-quest anymore.
o) Turtles and Dinosaurs are awesome but you never do anything interesting with turtles and there's only a few Dinosaur-related quests that were really fun, like any time they put you on one Dino Rider-style, pimped out with guns and turrets and crap; give me THAT as a World Quest... Plus, the Dinos are mostly present in Zuldazar. I don't like Zuldazar's layout and the entire Zandalari-Questline bored me to death; Nazmir wasn't much better, aside from more Tortollan content, but there's almost no Dinos and they're practically absent from Vol'Dun. Plus it's going to take me months to get the Brutosaur mount, if i ever manage to save up that much. That one really put a damper on my enjoyment for Dinosaurs in BFA.
o) The Mission Table doesn't seem to have the self-sustaining Resource-generation that early Legion had so i'll have to actually play all my alts for my Gold-making army. I don't see myself doing that, i'm not even sure if i'll play any alts to max level besides my two main Warriors. I'm currently starting in Kul Tiras on a human and i'm fairly sure i would enjoy BFA A LOT more on the other side. Except i have every class on 110 on Horde. Not on Alliance. Plus, World Quests suck.
o) Warfronts aren't just not open yet, they're also not always available. I'll likely do them on my human for the absurdly awesome plate armor but the limited availability really grinds my gears. Plus they're supposedly equally as boring as Island Expeditions; that does not make me hopeful.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:25 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
I'd say i hate about 90 percent of BFA; i do enjoy the Tortollans, Turtles, Dinosaurs, the Mission Table and i am looking forward to Warfronts. Unfortunately all of that comes with drawbacks:
o) the Tortollans have barely a role in the story, very few quests and their endlessly repetitive three World Quests have managed to annoy me so much i don't even enjoy the disgustingly cute hatchling-quest anymore.
o) Turtles and Dinosaurs are awesome but you never do anything interesting with turtles and there's only a few Dinosaur-related quests that were really fun, like any time they put you on one Dino Rider-style, pimped out with guns and turrets and crap; give me THAT as a World Quest... Plus, the Dinos are mostly present in Zuldazar. I don't like Zuldazar's layout and the entire Zandalari-Questline bored me to death; Nazmir wasn't much better, aside from more Tortollan content, but there's almost no Dinos and they're practically absent from Vol'Dun. Plus it's going to take me months to get the Brutosaur mount, if i ever manage to save up that much. That one really put a damper on my enjoyment for Dinosaurs in BFA.
o) The Mission Table doesn't seem to have the self-sustaining Resource-generation that early Legion had so i'll have to actually play all my alts for my Gold-making army. I don't see myself doing that, i'm not even sure if i'll play any alts to max level besides my two main Warriors. I'm currently starting in Kul Tiras on a human and i'm fairly sure i would enjoy BFA A LOT more on the other side. Except i have every class on 110 on Horde. Not on Alliance. Plus, World Quests suck.
o) Warfronts aren't just not open yet, they're also not always available. I'll likely do them on my human for the absurdly awesome plate armor but the limited availability really grinds my gears. Plus they're supposedly equally as boring as Island Expeditions; that does not make me hopeful.
Seems we might just have vastly different tastes then. Zuldazar is my favorite zone of the expansion and I love the Zandalari storyline (then again, I've wanted Zandalar to be an entire expansion since MoP). Even in terms of dinosaurs, stuff like Jani's quests, Warbeast Kraal, the questline where you help two brutosaurs fall in love, the stuff with Xibala all were winners.

On the mission tables, unfortunately either those who like them are an extremely small minority or Blizzard is listening to the vocal minority since they said the changes to mission tables were to make them as unrewarding as possible so that all the players who didn't like them would have no reason to do them outside of the introductory quests, leaving only those who genuinely enjoy that type of gameplay.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:34 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Seems we might just have vastly different tastes then. Zuldazar is my favorite zone of the expansion and I love the Zandalari storyline (then again, I've wanted Zandalar to be an entire expansion since MoP). Even in terms of dinosaurs, stuff like Jani's quests, Warbeast Kraal, the questline where you help two brutosaurs fall in love, the stuff with Xibala all were winners.
Yeah, i dunno, i hate Trolls, i hate Troll-themes; 5.2 got me hooked with awesome content but BFA isn't even trying... i'm looking forward to questing on my Alliance Warrior once i'm done with my three hours of fucking World Quests but Zandalar is just not for me. Whereas most of Kul Tiras reminds me of the Howling Fjord, one of my favorite zones ever :/ i'll report on quest content when i find the time...

Quote:
On the mission tables, unfortunately either those who like them are an extremely small minority or Blizzard is listening to the vocal minority since they said the changes to mission tables were to make them as unrewarding as possible so that all the players who didn't like them would have no reason to do them outside of the introductory quests, leaving only those who genuinely enjoy that type of gameplay.
Honestly? I'd probably do the Mission Table even if it didn't reward any Gold. I enjoy it. It's a nice little mini game. Unfortunately by removing self-sustainability i'm now forced to gather War Resources. That's not a big deal while levelling my alts but that stuff runs out after a while. I don't quite get why the Mission Table is even still in. They've effectively killed it for everyone playing more than one or two alts. ... actually i also haven't seen a way to redistribute the Resources yet. That's making it even worse, great.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:54 AM

Loremaster

Yeah, the Mission Table is pretty slapdash. Even the Followers are kind of treated like they're superfluous; the only one Alliance-side who actually does anything with the player before becoming a Follower is Kelsey Steelspark. Umbric, Keeshan and Falstad are just sort of nearby in the Zandalar hubs doing nothing of consequence while you quest, then suddenly offer to become Followers out of nowhere at the end of the local quest chain.

It's unfortunate, since the Mission Table is the only thing they really have that reinforces the idea of the Alliance and Horde at large being at war (rather than only in the new continents and island expeditions), but the whole thing's such an afterthought that I barely even remember to visit it and clear out finished Missions much of the time.

Incidentally, it may just be a psychological thing, but the way that Rep and AP "tokens" are used on receipt now instead of being given physically to my character negatively affects the "feel" of completing them for me. It makes it feel like there wasn't really a reward at all. I guess they figured it was a good way to streamline things, but there's just something hollow about completing quest after quest and seeing nothing to represent each victory but some blue text in the chat box saying that some math increased somewhere in my character's profile.

Click-to-use tokens might have seemed like a waste of bag space, but it was a very temporary one that felt "solid," like I actually got something for my efforts.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:17 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
You didn't like Argus.

You don't like Zandalar and about a third of Kul Tiras.

What do you seriously want? A return to Wrath? I'd rather see the concept of Southrend being explored than a return to Northrend, myself.

But yeah I think your body needs help producing happiness hormones.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:25 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Click-to-use tokens might have seemed like a waste of bag space, but it was a very temporary one that felt "solid," like I actually got something for my efforts.
I have the same feeling, actually. I don't think it even shows in the chat.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:28 AM

Eternal

Well, I sincerely hope that those people who were heavily invested in seeing this expansion fails because of the faction war, Teldrassil, etc won't hurt themselves over this.

Anyway, seems Krainz was right about the marketing.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:46 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Well, I sincerely hope that those people who were heavily invested in seeing this expansion fails because of the faction war, Teldrassil, etc won't hurt themselves over this.
Oh don't worry about me, i'm hurting myself over much more important issues. Plus, wanting it to fail and expecting it to are two very different things. Legion seems to have done little to fix WoD's sub losses, it really doesn't take much for things to go up.

Quote:
Speaking of marketing, we've had a miniature-discussion about this on twitter and it seems like this number includes preorders and Allied-Race-related pre-sales as those seem to generally be lumped into Day One sales. Considering that... that's not a great number. That's corporate-speak trying to sell you on the idea of a good number.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:56 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Speaking of marketing, we've had a miniature-discussion about this on twitter and it seems like this number includes preorders and Allied-Race-related pre-sales as those seem to generally be lumped into Day One sales. Considering that... that's not a great number. That's corporate-speak trying to sell you on the idea of a good number.
Someone's posted the day one sales for the other expansions, apparently it is pretty good:

BC - 2.4 million
Wrath - 2.8 million
Cata - 3.3 million
MoP - 2.7 million
WoD - 3.3 million
Legion - 3.3 million
BfA - 3.4 million

Unrelated: They talked about the worgen and goblin model updates on the Q and A. Nothing to share at the moment, as they want to wait until they're very close to finished to show them, but they're actively being worked on and the early models look "amazing."

Last edited by Insane Guy of Doom; 08-23-2018 at 11:59 AM..
Old 08-23-2018, 12:24 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post

Is that the new "You're right, Fojar"? lol

Also, on the matter of the Q&A, I'm really happy overall with the questions that were tackled. Many questions that were popular in the community, such as scaling and feeling weaker as you level. Not to mention that they're working on solutions for the issues with the AH.

This part got my attention:

I'm happy they're going to approach that subject in-game.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:27 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Someone's posted the day one sales for the other expansions, apparently it is pretty good:

BC - 2.4 million
Wrath - 2.8 million
Cata - 3.3 million
MoP - 2.7 million
WoD - 3.3 million
Legion - 3.3 million
BfA - 3.4 million
I'm not sure how representative that is but i'm surprised how close together that mostly is.

Disappointed about Worgen and Gobo models. I'm interested to see the new styles.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:19 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Disappointed about Worgen and Gobo models. I'm interested to see the new styles.
I think they're trying to prevent another worgen 2.0 issue by only showing the models once it'll be too late to take fan feedback into account since that's what hurt the worgen so much the first time.

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, gilgoblins, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft