Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you like JJ Trek?
Yes 19 82.61%
No 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 12-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Bullroarer Bullroarer is offline

Arch-Druid
Bullroarer's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,560

Default

Whales, whales are awesome.

JJ needs whales
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Arashi Arashi is offline

Eternal
Arashi's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,796

Default

Ive never seen the new Star Trek movies. I only watched the old ones that were made from back in the day.

Are the new movies true to the older ones?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,095

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
Are the new movies true to the older ones?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Arashi Arashi is offline

Eternal
Arashi's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,796

Default

Well i know what movies i won't be watching. Dayum shame too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Not Sure If Trolling...
Slowpokeking's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,003

Default

No movie could please those zealous fans, like LotR films' quality still angered some hardcore book fans.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-08-2013, 09:52 PM
CoDimus the Staunch CoDimus the Staunch is offline

Eternal
CoDimus the Staunch's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,592

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
No movie could please those zealous fans, like LotR films' quality still angered some hardcore book fans.
JJ's movies do a lot of character butchery, particularly on Kirk, who is more like a parody of the original. And I still like them, because they are, more or less, enjoyable movies with a good cast and good special effects. But as Star Trek movies, they are just about okayish.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

I like them, though I guess I'd have to be a huge Star Trek buff to understand them further... which I'm not. :/
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Not Sure If Trolling...
Slowpokeking's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,003

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of duty 1 View Post
JJ's movies do a lot of character butchery, particularly on Kirk, who is more like a parody of the original. And I still like them, because they are, more or less, enjoyable movies with a good cast and good special effects. But as Star Trek movies, they are just about okayish.
Because he wasn't trying to copy the same thing, but to start a new journey in the parallel universe.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,095

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I like them, though I guess I'd have to be a huge Star Trek buff to understand them further... which I'm not. :/


The less you know about the Star Trek universe the less likely you are to yell at the screen.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Not Sure If Trolling...
Slowpokeking's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,003

Default

They were not trying to target big fans, mostly general audience.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-08-2013, 10:56 PM
CoDimus the Staunch CoDimus the Staunch is offline

Eternal
CoDimus the Staunch's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,592

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Because he wasn't trying to copy the same thing, but to start a new journey in the parallel universe.
There is a huge difference between starting all over again and destroying a franchise's most iconic character because you want to make him more funny and more anti-heroic.
New Kirk sucks.

And it's not as if he is making something extremely unoriginal. Star Trek Into Darkness' plot wasn't imaginative at all.

Also, there are lots of other problems which annoy people. For example, too little drama and philosophy, too much action, and too little space. Sure, the Star Trek moves had action, but the good ones always had more of drama and philosophy, and space always dominated Star Trek, so much so that Earth has been shown in like only a few scenes. I mean, in the new movies, there is no exploration at all. Instead it's revolving all around Earth, and while the Earth we see is nice, it gets repetitive. I would like them to show stuff involving Klingons, new life, first contact with other races, life on a starship, sci-fi concepts, all these things should be the focus of New Trek.

Do I like the new movies? Yes I do. But I prefer the older stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Not Sure If Trolling...
Slowpokeking's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,003

Default

It's not the same Kirk.

As for the story, it's what a blockbuster movie requires, to bring $$$.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-08-2013, 11:09 PM
CoDimus the Staunch CoDimus the Staunch is offline

Eternal
CoDimus the Staunch's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,592

Default

Hey, Star Trek was once extremely popular. Sure, it may not have been popular in Asia, and other parts of the World, but it was extremely popular in the US and Europe. That's primarily because Paramount never promoted it properly outside these countries. The TNG show had an average of 20 million viewers, and the box office for movies was good, because none of the movies besides the first had high budgets and were promoted much, and these movies depended solely on US and English-speaking European countries for earning money.

They don't need to make it less Trek-like for getting new fans.


And it's not as if that strategy makes any difference, because New Trek is getting similar box office results, and unlike the older stuff, it has huge budgets. The box office is like this simply because Paramount doesn't know how to promote stuff properly.

And Star Trek should never be thought of as a generic blockbuster. That's the wrong strategy and wouldn't help Paramount earn money. It's earnings are like X Men, but unlike X Men, which is a franchise moderately popular throughout the world, Star Trek is one which is massively popular in a select few countries. And you know what? They should capitalize on that, by embracing the themes of the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
It's not the same Kirk.

As for the story, it's what a blockbuster movie requires, to bring $$$.
So? Is it logical to destroy such a compelling character like this? Star Trek is an utopian franchise, and Kirk was supposed to represent that. New Kirk is hardly an utopian human in any way.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Not Sure If Trolling...
Slowpokeking's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,003

Default

They didn't destroy the character, they used a parallel universe to show another version, this happens in almost all the franchise, maybe except Star Wars since it has no parallel universe.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-10-2013, 12:51 AM
CoDimus the Staunch CoDimus the Staunch is offline

Eternal
CoDimus the Staunch's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,592

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
They didn't destroy the character, they used a parallel universe to show another version, this happens in almost all the franchise, maybe except Star Wars since it has no parallel universe.
What kind of logic is that? It's not the bloody Mirror Universe timeline. Just because his father is dead, he cannot be brought up properly? His mother doesn't understand how to bring up children? Did he earn that captain rank?

No, he didn't. He got it because of good luck and favouritism from Pike. Original Kirk's backstory said that he advanced through the ranks one by one, and when he became captain, he became the youngest in Starfleet History, and that solely because of his skills.

I am sorry, but changing Kirk into this completely unlikeable jerk was a really dumb thing to do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
The less you know about the Star Trek universe the less likely you are to yell at the screen.
I disagree. I got into Trek through these films, and I am currently a huge fan of TOS and TNG, and the TOS films. DS9 I started watching yesterday, and am liking it as well.


I like these things more than JJ Trek, yet I find JJ Trek fun still.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 12-10-2013 at 12:53 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-10-2013, 03:37 AM
Hammerbrew Hammerbrew is offline

Banished
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,773

Angry

Do I like "JJ Trek"?



Horrible, cheap, CGI-intense, lens-flare (fucking seriously - it's beyond silly) action-wankfest for people too stupid to appreciate what Star Trek was all about, and what made it great.

I'll stick to my DS9 boxsets with the occasional TNG rewatch for my Trek fix. <3

(Hello all, I decided to stop lurking and actually sign-up.)
((And 2 days later this post finally got Mod approved, yay! <3 ))

Last edited by Hammerbrew; 12-12-2013 at 02:33 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
best sci-fi franchise, movies, star trek, star wars

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.