Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default Effective Horde Leaders

Because Horde bias. Most vs. least effective Horde leaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:59 PM

Banished

Sylvanas.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:06 PM

Echo of the Past

Thrall. The guy's naive as a brick about his own people's history, but he brings victories when he's around.

Also Blackhand. The only orcish who successfully coordinated a Horde victory against a human kingdom.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:50 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Thrall. The guy's naive as a brick about his own people's history, but he brings victories when he's around.
He also has so much charisma he managed to break off chunks of the Alliance, and his charisma even affects the perception of any organization he touches such that other people won't want to mess with it even despite the clear and present danger it poses to those people.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:59 PM

Elune

Which chunks of the Alliance did he break off? I suppose there's the Argent Crusade but that was Eitrigg combined with Tirion being a fool and writer fiat.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:00 PM

Elune

Considering they are all attending a trial for war crimes without being accused, id say they are all fucking effective and cunning.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Well, here's the thing. Look at the mixed success:
-Lordaeron - Led by Sylvanas - Complete Success
-Gilneas - Led by Sylvanas - Moderate Success
-Azshara - Led by the goblins - Complete success
-Ashenvale - Led by Garrosh - Failure
-Twilight Highlands - Led by Garrosh - Initial Failure, salvaged by unexpected assistance
-Stonetalon Mountains - Organized by Garrosh - Failure, dissolved by garrosh
-Barrens - Organized by Garrosh - Stalemate in Field of Giants, Failure in the assault on Nortwatch

While Garrosh has certainly given orders to start attacks that turned out to be succesful, none of the assaults he had a personal stake in came anywhere close to succeeding.

I'll give you Theramore (though I'd argue that it had nothing to do with Garrosh' personal abilities, but the sheer luck he had in that one blood elf spy), but the Vale wasn't even a target, and was basically just a coincidental side effect.
In Tides of War Garrosh cleared out most of the Alliance bases in the Barrens, except for Honor's Stand. The main Alliance offensive into Horde territory was, ultimately, crushed. He gets credit for that, even if it's shared with Baine and Vol'jin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Which chunks of the Alliance did he break off? I suppose there's the Argent Crusade but that was Eitrigg combined with Tirion being a fool and writer fiat.
The Silver Hand, Cenarion Circle, and, for a time, Dalaran.

In addition to, of course, preventing most anyone important in the Alliance, except for Jaina, from even thinking about ending the Horde, quite unlike how things went in WC2.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.

Last edited by Millenia; 03-11-2014 at 05:09 PM..
Old 03-11-2014, 05:33 PM

Arch-Druid

Say what you want a bout Sylvanas but she has been very successful at building up the Forsaken from almost nothing.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:50 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Lor'themar Theron. He is an excellent military commander, and an honorable leader of his people who leads not out lust for power, but to best secure his people's future. Was badass enough to stand up to Jaina Proudmoore, even though he was magically outmatched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:55 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:

Also Blackhand. The only orcish who successfully coordinated a Horde victory against a human kingdom.
Wait, was the conquest of Azeroth/Stormwind completed before or after Doomhammer took power?
Old 03-11-2014, 06:02 PM

Eternal

Most Effective:

Lor'themar Theron
Sylvanas Windrunner

Least Effective:

Garrosh Hellscream
Gallywix
Gamon
Old 03-11-2014, 10:31 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
Wait, was the conquest of Azeroth/Stormwind completed before or after Doomhammer took power?
Sources differ, but it's probably Doomhammer according to current lore. HOWEVER, I'm going to factor in the following points:

1) Current lore constantly tells us Stormwind wouldn't have fallen without Garona's assassination of King Llane. This was done under Gul'dan's initiative, and Gul'dan was the political leader behind Blackhand's military.

2) Stormwind was only the final Horde victory. There had to be a string of victories and forward momentum beforehand.

3) Look at the Second War. Just look at the Second War. Not a single decisive Horde victory, other than burning down Blackwood. That's what happens when Doomhammer gets full strategic control.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:06 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexander View Post
Most Effective:

Lor'themar Theron
Sylvanas Windrunner

Least Effective:

Garrosh Hellscream
Gallywix
Gamon
Garrosh, for all of his bullshit, was pretty damn successful. It's just that he went too far off the deep end. Maybe if he didn't try to kill Vol'jin he'd have been doing a lot better right now.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:29 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Garrosh, for all of his bullshit, was pretty damn successful. It's just that he went too far off the deep end. Maybe if he didn't try to kill Vol'jin he'd have been doing a lot better right now.
I don't know. None of his campaigns really won. In Cataclysm, even if its not obvious, he pretty much lost all of his battles. In Wolfheart, we was thwarted by the Worgen. His Twilight Highlands intro made him look inept and was won without him. About the only victory he had was in Tides of War, otherwise he lost or has been pushed back continually. His ability to effectively lead the Horde was likewise proven to be pretty awful.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:35 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexander View Post
I don't know. None of his campaigns really won. In Cataclysm, even if its not obvious, he pretty much lost all of his battles. In Wolfheart, we was thwarted by the Worgen. His Twilight Highlands intro made him look inept and was won without him. About the only victory he had was in Tides of War, otherwise he lost or has been pushed back continually. His ability to effectively lead the Horde was likewise proven to be pretty awful.
Hell, he lost in Theramore too, considering his forces lost control of Dustwallow and Northwatch even after the bomb was dropped.

It's a salient point of Cataclysm that Garrosh's actions were met with almost universal failure.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:15 PM

Druid of the Claw
BattleTag: Galka#1452

Quote:
3) Look at the Second War. Just look at the Second War. Not a single decisive Horde victory, other than burning down Blackwood. That's what happens when Doomhammer gets full strategic control.
Did you read Tides of Darkness? It's heavily implied that Doomhammer would have taken Lordaeron had not decided to take the high road divert troops to stop Gul'dan. You can say no decisive victories, but he was less than days from winning the second war completely, and that's far more important.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:33 PM

Elune

Does the Horde ever succeed at anything?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:38 PM

Eternal

Quote:
I dont know ask Cenarius
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:38 PM

Elune

Quote:
Yes.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:46 PM

Elune

The Horde just seems really irresponsible and clumsy.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:48 PM

Elune

Quote:
The Horde just seems really irresponsible and clumsy.
Not really.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-12-2014, 06:50 PM

Elune

It is true. The Horde isn't malicious but they causes a lot of pain and suffering to people around them.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:52 PM

Elune

The two Horde races that hurt others the most are also two races that were never supposed to exist on Azeroth.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:53 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Hell, he lost in Theramore too, considering his forces lost control of Dustwallow and Northwatch even after the bomb was dropped.
Didn't he purposely pull back from Dustwallow, considering it's just a swamp?

Either way, he cleared out most of the human problem in the Barrens, so it's still only slightly less of a success compared to Sylvanas's Gilneas campaign.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:

Tags
critical thinking, horde bias