Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2017, 02:38 PM

World Builder

Runes Quote Based Worldbuilding Game

Something to lighten the mood, I saw this on the Giant-In-The-Playground forums once and it was pretty neat.

Basic idea is you post a line, or a few lines of lyrics from a song, then write translate them into references to the world you're making.

Examples:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ow-With-Lyrics!
Quote:
And our hearts, our hearts
They were beating in the dark
'Cause we are, we are
We are built from broken parts (We Are - Hollywood Undead)

Grusil was once a beautiful city state, situated amid wild forests and ice capped mountains, it grew famed as a hub for travelers moving through the harsh terrain to trade with distant lands. In time, it grew wealthy as merchants made the city their home, and its leaders guided its people wisely in erecting defenses and building treaties with the neighboring nations, even in times of war, Grusil would never be touched out of fear of driving it to ally with another faction.

As scholars from myriad cultures came together in the trade hub, a group of likeminded young alchemists formed, dedicated to the study of life, and disdainful of the taboos they had each encountered in their homelands, in time they came to call themselves the Viteri.

Ingenious, but filled with the arrogance of youth, the Viteri conducted untold numbers of experiments in the magic filled towers of Grusil, dissecting bodies and plumbing the secrets of both the physical and etheric world. At first, they were greatly lauded for their medical and alchemic advances, diseases were cured, lives were saved, their reputation grew... and then came the deaths.

Plague ravaged Grusil, the experiments of the Viteri had slowly but surely befouled the water and air for miles, the land began to wither, dark clouds clung to the city, and the people that walked the streets were horrified as their very flesh began to slough away.

Desperate to set right their wrongs, the Viteri struggled tirelessly* to purify the land, and purge the illness they had brought... turning to ever more extreme* measures, they grew flesh in vats, amputating diseased limbs from their patients and replacing them with pale, grey, limbs of false flesh, or cold black metal with crackling lightning veins, designed to withstand the poisoned air and sickly water.

Travelers shunned the misshapen things that now walked in Grusil, routes by sea and through mountain caves bypassing the diseased hellscape the city had become. Madness took the blighted residents, disease, terror at what they had become, and chemical imbalance from their increasingly artificial bodies.

Imprisoned in their own spires by the citizens of the city, the Viteri worked tirelessly ever onward for years, refining their false-flesh, metal limbs, and alchemic concoctions... replacing arms, legs, even heads... until a day dawned and not a single unaltered-human was left within the city.

The people of Grusil were shunned for their deformities whenever they attempted to travel abroad, often mistaken for the living dead. They were forever changed by the alchemic pollution that had ravaged them, pale skin like that of their false-flesh passing on even to their children.

They eventually took a new name for themselves, The Dusken.

Now, these reclusive creatures lived in their ruined city in isolation, forever pouring over ancient alchemic lore and making new experiments, selling their findings and sharing their research with the few that dare to risk the journey.

For next poster:

Goblin King of the Darkstorm Galaxy
Ride on the wings of doom
Grant me the power to fight my foes
And defeat the lords of the Moon!

http://lyrics.wikia.com/wiki/Gloryha...rkstorm_Galaxy
And then...

Quote:
Goblin King of the Darkstorm Galaxy
Ride on the wings of doom
Grant me the power to fight my foes
And defeat the lords of the Moon!

This phrase is part of the ritual war chant of the various goblins tribes of the northwest regions. Said chant is spoken in High Goblin, which bears little, if any, resemblance to the crude form of communication that goblins now use. This language is exclusive to the priests of the tribes, who are trained from birth for their role, including the memorization of the various chants and rituals that use High Goblin. No non-goblinoid is allowed to hear these chants, or even be anywhere near the camps when the rituals take place. As such, this is one of the only phrases of High Goblins that are known to the world at large.

The odd thing about this quote is that it seems to carry some sort of historical import for not only the goblins, but the world as well. Ancient records recently uncovered from the Ruins of Tel'Githma seem to indicate that the goblins appeared only about 2,400 years ago, just before the creation of the Greymare Aurora, and the subsequent war. Theses ancient goblins are recorded as being much taller, fairer, and incredibly civilized, even if they were known for warmongering. This correlates with certain phrases from the Manuscript of Hazen the Mad, who speaks of some ancient evil from the red moon that cursed the goblins ages ago. These proto-goblins, as I call them, were vastly different from the current goblins that we know this in this day and age, both biologically and spiritually, as evidenced from the fossils and artifacts uncovered in the Cathmir excavation last year. This, combined with the other clues gathered from Yznev's landmark treatise on goblins, "Goblins: The Life of Outcasts", leads me to conclude what I know must seem impossible.

My supposition that goblins are in fact not native to this world, and actually hail from some other world beyond the moons, the sun, or possibly even the vast ocean of stars itself! Roughly 2,400 years ago they arrived on this planet, but were cursed by some unknown entity before they could establish any major civilization. Said curse caused them to degenerate into the form we are now familiar with, which caused a severe drop in intelligence due to their misshapen heads and twisted cerebrums. From there, the goblins spread out across the continent, becoming the wandering raiders with little culture or civilization.

Master, I know it sounds like I've gone mad, but I know I can prove it! Just give me a few more months and I can get the evidence I need. I am on the verge of finding something that could rewrite history itself! Please don't transfer me just yet. I know that this was only supposed to be a short study abroad, and was solely for political reasons, but I'm begging you, let me stay!

Your most humble student, Jennifer Voltairiz
*Oh god I used desperate like three times in a row there in my Vitteri stuff, shameful. Fixing.

EDIT:

Doublederp, forgot to put down starting lyrics!

Quote:
Have you ever been close to tragedy
Or been close to folks who have?
Have you ever felt a pain so powerful
So heavy you collapse?No?
Now with a more lighthearted alternate starter
Quote:
Oh, this is how it starts, lightning strikes the heart
It goes off like a gun, brighter than the sun
Oh, we could be the stars, falling from the sky
Shining how we want, brighter than the sun

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 01-28-2017 at 03:17 PM..
Old 01-28-2017, 03:07 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Yes, that quote certainly lightens the mood, Skytotem.

I'm afraid of taking myself too seriously, so I'll pass this round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:12 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Yes, that quote certainly lightens the mood, Skytotem.

I'm afraid of taking myself too seriously, so I'll pass this round.
Sorry, I just picked a line at random from the digimon movie soundtrack tbh.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 01-28-2017, 07:46 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I love Luca Turilli and Gloryhammer.

If this comes out to be what BrĂ¼tal Legend was trying to be, then I approve.

Quote:
Oh, this is how it starts, lightning strikes the heart
It goes off like a gun, brighter than the sun
Oh, we could be the stars, falling from the sky
Shining how we want, brighter than the sun
You can't easily quote quotes.

The apocalyptic doomsday cult of Skrahthh??? is obsessed with the creation and destruction inherent in the formation of stars. Channeling the lighting of what they believe to be their dead creator deity, they attempt to imbue their own hearts with enough power to undergo spontaneous fusion. Consuming the world in an artificial sun, the cultist's last thought will be the bliss of knowing that the new star's origins lie within them.

The powers that be of the world know that this explosion (provide that the cult's fringe theories are true) would be more both powerful than any firearm that the world's currently accepted level of magi-science is able to produce, and brighter than the star that the world currently orbits.

The mythology of the cult says that our kind were fallen stars to begin with, and ascending to the heavens as a new star is ascending back to our rightful place.

Questioning the cultists however, provided that you are able to, reveals that they are dangerously solipsistic and that their true motives are far from benevolent: they want the world to end simply because they want to shine how they want.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 01-28-2017 at 08:05 PM..
Old 02-02-2017, 07:21 PM

Banished

Cherry cherry kills kills

Tags
music, worldbuilding