Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Should the British Monarchy Continue?
Yes 23 74.19%
No 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2014, 01:21 AM

Eternal

Default Should the British Monarchy Continue?

What the thread title says.

Personally, I like the Monarchy. It is an integral part of British culture, and generates money from tourism and culture. It is something that I wouldn't wish to see abolished. It isn't as if the Queen has any power.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:23 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

No gods or kings. Only man.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:41 AM

Elune

I don't see any reason why not.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:10 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: toffeeatoms#2825

Yes! yes Yes!

I really should, it is one of the best things about Britain, its is the thing that creates the British identity.

I find it very interesting because when people say "The Queen" they -always-mean the British queen. But there are LOADS of queens out there.

I am a super lefty, but I see great benefits from it, tourism, identity ect. Plus, from what I understand, its catnip to the Americans who come over here to see all of our Royal stuff. I met one american women who toured the length and breath of the UK to see everything royal related. She spent thousands of Dollars on it.

Yes, I do also understand they are a drain of Tax Money, but they bring in three times as much and provide a unique service.

Not to mental all the royal engagements, I mean Netherlands had a marriage, the birth of a child and engagement recently, and was that televised all around the world? Not that I am aware of!

God I sound snotty in this, but Yay! God save the queen!

Old 03-20-2014, 03:56 AM

Elune

It is really none of my business as an American but I voted yes because I like preserving cultural identity.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:16 AM

Eternal

Although I really like the Monarchy, I also feel that people need to stop getting obsessed with them. The obsession some have for Prince William and Catherine Middleton is weird.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:25 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch View Post
The obsession some have for Prince William and Catherine Middleton is weird.
From what I've seen it's mostly foreign media that's obsessed with them. So I'm curious. Are there many British people obsessed with them?
Old 03-20-2014, 05:27 AM

Demon Hunter

I'm not really familiar with what the monarchy does or what they take from/give to Britain, but I do wish that Australia's head of state wasn't the Queen. That recent wedding seems to have decreased support for a Republic, though.
The gnome, for example, could be impressed by the technology of a conqueror, the goblin by his riches, the elf by his respect for the arcane, the draenei by his moral integrity, the tauren by his calm authoritative bearing. But the orc, who is impressed by none of these things, must always be struck to the dust, and struck down again as he rises, and struck again as he lies groaning. While his wounds still pain him he will respect the hand that dealt them.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:28 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Although I really like the Monarchy, I also feel that people need to stop getting obsessed with them. The obsession some have for Prince William and Catherine Middleton is weird.
It's kind of like the whole "celebrity" thing, but magnified. I mean, they're royalty! Oh sure, you can be a President or Prime Minister or Grand Poobah, but they're royalty. And while there are other Kings and Queens out there, the British Monarchy is, in many regards, way more "in your face" about their existence.

Also, something about all little girls wanting to be a Princess.

That being said... eh, I'm not sure if anything of value would be lost if it was abolished. I'll probably vote for yes, but really, I'm indifferent.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:29 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
From what I've seen it's mostly foreign media that's obsessed with them. So I'm curious. Are there many British people obsessed with them?
Yeah! A fair few, its less of an obsession, more a respect and want to know things.

ofc some go overboard, but its not many. There is a General respect within the Brits for the royals, and Kate/William/George are our new pride and focus.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:42 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Quite a few, especially amongst the youth. I mean, The Duchess is a better role model then all those anorexic models, but still, there are limits.
They also have little to no privacy, particularly William and Kate, because the media is perhaps the most obsessed with them. The foreign media is even worse.

And really, I never understood why the media was so obsessed with Princess Diana and her death.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 03-20-2014 at 05:51 AM..
Old 03-20-2014, 05:51 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I never understood why the media was so obsessed with Princess Diana and her death.
Same if honest, my aunts and grand parents mourned her when she died, for weeks... If Honest I always viewed her as more of a name than a do-gooder. though, I was much too young to really understand her place. But Diana really was an -obsession- for a lot of people

I don't approve that they are judging Middleton by Diana's standard though, in the papers its all "Would Diana have done this?, What would Diana think of this?" Ughhh Let them live, and allow her to be her own person and do her own things.

What I think the Royal Family should do is be a rallying point for change and improvement of the County, to look at whats wrong, and say "Well, I think this, Government, what do you say?" rather than just being a figure head.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:59 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by belorealah View Post
Same if honest, my aunts and grand parents mourned her when she died, for weeks... If Honest I always viewed her as more of a name than a do-gooder. though, I was much too young to really understand her place. But Diana really was an -obsession- for a lot of people

I don't approve that they are judging Middleton by Diana's standard though, in the papers its all "Would Diana have done this?, What would Diana think of this?" Ughhh Let them live, and allow her to be her own person and do her own things.

What I think the Royal Family should do is be a rallying point for change and improvement of the County, to look at whats wrong, and say "Well, I think this, Government, what do you say?" rather than just being a figure head.
I was very young when she died, but in my grandmother's words "Diana was more royal than any other member of the royal family". She did a lot for people and became a national treasure. It's still a sore spot for some, though that goes for the generations above my own.

It is unfair that they're comparing the two women, but the press is getting incredibly worse as time goes on -- while the newspaper is utter crud -- Daily Mail hit an all time low when they did an article on some Z-list celeb stepping in a puddle.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:03 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
I was very young when she died, but in my grandmother's words "Diana was more royal than any other member of the royal family". She did a lot for people and became a national treasure. It's still a sore spot for some, though that goes for the generations above my own.

It is unfair that they're comparing the two women, but the press is getting incredibly worse as time goes on -- while the newspaper is utter crud -- Daily Mail hit an all time low when they did an article on some Z-list celeb stepping in a puddle.
Daily mail has always been trash though...

Old 03-20-2014, 06:10 AM

Eternal

Constitutional monarchy is the most perfect form of government. I just wish various idiots wouldn't keep degrading our parliamentary system. The travesties that were removing most of the hereditary peers from the House of Lords, and the establishment of the Supreme Court have fundamentally damaged our most perfect system.

The only thing I'd ask is that we return to the days when papers were not allowed to screw around in monarchical manners. Lese majeste, and all that.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:11 AM

Arch-Druid

As long as they turn a profit for the economy, they can stay.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:22 AM

Drunk Assassin

Yes. Not only for the prestige and history, but for the significant, unique source of income it is.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:24 AM

Arch-Druid

I don't see why not.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:32 AM

Elune

I'm not a fan of the Monarchy. IF and only IF it can be justified by the money they bring in outweighing the costs of keeping it then I don't mind. That said the amount they do bring in via tourism and such I imagine is highly exaggerated.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:42 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by belorealah View Post
Daily mail has always been trash though...
Yep, but I mean come on http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...op-friend.html.

I don't know, the media annoys me to no end these days. There's more emphasis on celebrities and the like than actual news, I am sick to death of the Pistorius trial drowning out everything else.

Celebrity culture needs to be beaten down a bit.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:43 AM

Drunk Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
I imagine is highly exaggerated.
It isn't.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:45 AM

Needs A Hug

None of my business, really, but I'd say yes in the hope that someday soon a Monarch becomes a rallying figure for some political movement or another.

Such as enforcing the English Bill of Rights, perhaps. Despite it being made to protect against a tyrannical Monarch, Parliament seems quite content to shit on it themselves, all in the name of "making people feel safer."

Last edited by Dithon1; 03-20-2014 at 06:54 AM..
Old 03-20-2014, 06:46 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
Yep, but I mean come on http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...op-friend.html.

I don't know, the media annoys me to no end these days. There's more emphasis on celebrities and the like than actual news, I am sick to death of the Pistorius trial drowning out everything else.

Celebrity culture needs to be beaten down a bit.
Approved!

I am also fed up with all the focus on

OMG THE WORLD IS ENDING, THE UK IS FLAILING AND WE ARE ALL GOING TO BURN IN RUSSIAN FLAMES OF DEATH.

And a duck crossed the road

THE WORLD WILL BURN, MURDERERS EVERYWHERE.

We have made a new type of Lipstick

BURRRRRNNNINNNNNGGGGGG

I'd like to hear more about what we are doing good! I don't care if its a couple of uni students who got a couple of Bs... BUT at least it would be something happy.

24hour news is ruining everything.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:47 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
I'm not a fan of the Monarchy. IF and only IF it can be justified by the money they bring in outweighing the costs of keeping it then I don't mind. That said the amount they do bring in via tourism and such I imagine is highly exaggerated.
Money is false motivation. I see that disgusting capitalism has entered even these most sacred of grounds.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:53 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagan View Post
Money is false motivation. I see that disgusting capitalism has entered even these most sacred of grounds.
Lets face it, most of the world is now set in Capitalism, it is the main driving force for nearly everywhere. The UK, as a world leader (Silence Americans!) can't be lagging behind because it views Capitalism as morally wrong (I do sit on that bench myself). The Tourism, in this day and age is a wonderful and large income to our flagging county, and one that is beneficial to everyone within it!

There are thousands of small businesses in the UK to cater to the passion and love the Monarchs create!

Without them, what is britan other than a small county with no voice!

Tags
politics