Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2016, 10:45 PM

Arch-Druid

Default Star Trek New TV Series CBS

CBS

Has there ever been a good series on CBS?
Old 05-18-2016, 11:03 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullroarer View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXpPweAooeE

CBS

Has there ever been a good series on CBS?
1.) It looks like the credit sequences of the Abrams-movies. It might just be brand recognition, i'll give them that, but this worries me greatly.

2.) The Arrowhead looks too fat. Doesn't the Arrowhead look too fat to anyone else?

3.) Speaking of the Arrowhead - it's both a symbol for Starfleet and for Star Trek in general, usually depicted just plain as itself with maybe the Command Division star from TOS in the middle. This version, however, has a weird line down the right side, which might indicate that it's actually the communicator / patch used for the show. This, too, worries me as it looks decidedly TOS.

4.) "New Crews". There have been rumors about an anthology show which i'm not sure what to think of. On the one hand the prospect of multiple ships excites me. On the other hand the budget required for multiple standing sets for multiple ships at the same time might just lead to sub-par looking locations. (They could get around this to some extent by having each season take place on a new ship, but that way you'd have barely a chance to get to know the characters.) I'm generally open to the idea, in fact as a kid i wanted something like that, but... let's not take any chances with fancy ideas, yeah? Can we just do Star Trek again for a change?

5.) "New Villains".

Look, a good bay guy spices up the series and you need conflict of any kind for your show, otherwise your episodes would revolve about pushing cargo around and the character-arcs would devolve into soap operas. But when you have THIS LITTLE information to show and "New Villains" makes it into the feature list? That's troublesome. Plus: what the fuck happened to the old viallains? Is this another variant of changing Star Trek around for the sake of not doing Star Trek? Why the fuck even use the IP then?

6.) I absolutely hate the Hyperdrive-y Warp effect. But at least it's not the literally ripped-off Hypderdrive-effect from Into Darkness, i guess.

7.) "New Heroes".
Can we just get a regular crew? 'cause this sounds like we're going to save fucking Earth again every week.
Speaking of Earth:

8.) Could we fucking STOP plastering Earth all over modern day-Star Trek, kkthxbye?

9.) "New Worlds".
Well i fucking hope so.

10.) Browny Points for the Star Trek fanfare. Already better soundtrack than JJ-Trek. I really, really, REALLY hope they use the Movie / TNG Theme. It's about damn time for some quality music in this house.

11.) What's up with that font? Edge Trek much?

12.) No actual title? Just "Star Trek"? Are, uh, are we sure we don't wanna add a title there, guys? ... anytime now, please?

13.) "CBS Network".

Yeah no fuck off, see you guys on Youtube or DvD if this shit's any good.

Paid Sub CBS Network.

Shit's probably not even available outside of Eagleland even if i wanted to.

Edit: Bonus point:
14.) How much more interesting, nostalgic and all-in-all heartwarming would this little teaser (that gives fuckall info, btw) be if it wasn't ruined by the Dramatic Trailer Guy? :/

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 05-18-2016 at 11:10 PM..
Old 05-19-2016, 12:09 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Could be good, though I hope they move away from the Abrams style. His Star Trek films just didn't do it for me.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 05-19-2016, 12:13 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

I had honestly forgotten about this completely.
Too early to tell anything at all at this point. Its not very hard to do be better than the latter half of Voyager and the entirety of Enterprise, however.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:31 AM

Eternal

Fuck yes, an anthology! And with swappable bridge modules being canon, they won't even have to build new sets each season.

Now put it into the Lost Era and I'm game. TWoK-styled uniforms on a tv show? Yes, please!
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 05-19-2016, 12:37 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
I had honestly forgotten about this completely.
Too early to tell anything at all at this point. Its not very hard to do be better than the latter half of Voyager and the entirety of Enterprise, however.
I thought Voyager got better as the series went on. It helped that they abandoned the Maquis sub-plot that they weren't ever willing to address (it could have been great if they had done something with it, but by the end of Season 1 it was too late). Plus they ditched the Kazon, who were one of the least memorable Star Trek antagonist races.

The early seasons did introduce the Vidiians, who were pretty cool villains. The Hirogen were reliable heavies, though they were basically the Star Trek version of the Predator.

However, it's been ages since I've seen the show, so my memory's hazy.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 05-19-2016 at 12:39 AM..
Old 05-19-2016, 12:43 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
Now put it into the Lost Era

We're not Danny, we SHOULDN'T go backwards to go forwards!
Old 05-19-2016, 12:54 AM

Elune

Prepare for 5 more Chakotay shuttle crash episodes on planets with alien cultures conveniently similar to Native Americans per season.

Hlaalu: tbh, I might be misremembering myself. There were some decent Borg, Hirogen episodes later. I mostly remember that most character-centric eps were pretty damn bad, whether concerning the Doctor with his umpteenth holosuite dilemma, Kim pleasehelpmenotbeacompletebeta and Paris, the last alpha male in the delta quadrant, Janeway crying over her dog, Seven taking about 27 episodes to realize she has feelings, Chakotay trying his hardest to act like anything else but part of the backdrop and Tuvok trying his hardest to act.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:13 AM

Elune

Quote:
Prepare for 5 more Chakotay shuttle crash episodes on planets with alien cultures conveniently similar to Native Americans per season.

Hlaalu: tbh, I might be misremembering myself. There were some decent Borg, Hirogen episodes later. I mostly remember that most character-centric eps were pretty damn bad, whether concerning the Doctor with his umpteenth holosuite dilemma, Kim pleasehelpmenotbeacompletebeta and Paris, the last alpha male in the delta quadrant, Janeway crying over her dog, Seven taking about 27 episodes to realize she has feelings, Chakotay trying his hardest to act like anything else but part of the backdrop and Tuvok trying his hardest to act.
I usually liked episodes involving the Doctor, though the other characters were pretty uneven. Kim, Torres, Paris, and Seven all had their moments. Neelix was very annoying, though I remember him becoming less so in the later episodes (or maybe they just didn't feature him as much). Tuvoc didn't make much of an impression. The writers didn't seem to really know what to do with either Janeway or Chakotay, who were both inconsistent.

I'm not sure if Chakotay even had enough of a character to count as inconsistent--Beltran, the actor who played him, has been very vocal about the writers fouling up the character. Giving stereotypical US-Native American attributes to an ethnic Mayan was peculiar, to say the least.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:21 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Giving stereotypical US-Native American attributes to an ethnic Mayan was peculiar, to say the least.
Apparently they tried to make Chocolateday realistic and used a Native-American-expert... who was a total fraud, as it turned out, mixing just about every true or bullshitted trait of tribes into one giant, completely inconsistent Nature-Religion-Tribe-thing.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:25 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
[/IMG]

We're not Danny, we SHOULDN'T go backwards to go forwards!
Why not both? It's an anthology, after all. We can have all the time frames.

First one is most definitely going to be centered around TOS or the Lost Era because of the 50th aniversary.
Just look at STO. They're doing a TOS expansion with an entire campaign in that time frame.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:42 AM

Elune

Wtf is the Lost Era.
If this is more expanded universe bullshit like Star Wars had, no thanks.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:46 AM

Eternal

It's the era between the maiden voyage of the ENT-B and the beginning of TNG. It's called Lost Era because there were never any shows or movies about it.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:50 AM

Elune

Quote:
It's the era between the maiden voyage of the ENT-B and the beginning of TNG. It's called Lost Era because there were never any shows or movies about it.
Ah the George Takei era.
"Why won't Paramount make a show based on the arguably least important or fleshed out character of the original crew", that George Takei.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:53 AM

Eternal

More than that, it also includes the ENT-C timeframe.
It's essentially a (roughly) 100 years-long almost blank slate in Trek canon.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:28 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Why not both?
Because Prequels are bullshit, that's why. And because it's the ONE chance we can get to fix the Timelines, which isn't going to happen unless they go with a Sequel - anything shown in a Prequel would be erased from existence just like TNG, DS9 and Voyager as soon as Spock and Nero cock up the Space-Time continuum.

Quote:
It's an anthology, after all.
Hopefully fucking not.

Quote:
Just look at STO. They're doing a TOS expansion with an entire campaign in that time frame.
Don't. Get. Me. Started.

Quote:
Ah the George Takei era.
"Why won't Paramount make a show based on the arguably least important or fleshed out character of the original crew", that George Takei.
That's not how you spell Mr. Kyle.

Edit: speaking of Expanded Universe; i hear rumblings from semi-trusted sources that CBS and Paramount are internally pushing for canonizing books and comics the same way Star Wars does it now. I approve; the comics had the occasional showing of the Prime Timeline after the temporal incursion. If they were canon we'd have canonical proof of the Universe-split-bullshit and i could peacefully accepted JJ_trek as a different dimension where they can bullshit their crap the way they want - i don't mind nor care as long as it doesn't fuck with the Prime Timeline. Which, unfortunately, it does right now.

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 05-19-2016 at 04:32 AM..
Old 05-19-2016, 04:48 AM

Elune

Quote:
Ah the George Takei era.
You forgot "most charming"
Old 05-19-2016, 04:50 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Because Prequels are bullshit, that's why. And because it's the ONE chance we can get to fix the Timelines, which isn't going to happen unless they go with a Sequel - anything shown in a Prequel would be erased from existence just like TNG, DS9 and Voyager as soon as Spock and Nero cock up the Space-Time continuum.
How so? Wouldn't anything beyond TOS pretty much prove that the prime timeline still exists?
I mean, the point of divergence was the destruction of the Kelvin, not the destruction of Romulus.

Last edited by spidey1980; 05-19-2016 at 05:18 AM..
Old 05-19-2016, 08:06 AM

Elune

Setting it in the Lost Era seems questionable. I'd rather see the timeline start moving forward again. Wouldn't bother me if they did something like Star Wars did in order to streamline canon.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:30 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Setting it in the Lost Era seems questionable. I'd rather see the timeline start moving forward again.
Yup

Give me a post-Dominion War Alpha Quadrant pls.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:36 AM

Eternal

I don't think we will ever see the post-Nemesis era. Writers hate being constrained by 4 tv shows and 10 movies worth of canon.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:43 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
How so? Wouldn't anything beyond TOS pretty much prove that the prime timeline still exists?
I mean, the point of divergence was the destruction of the Kelvin, not the destruction of Romulus.
For the new Timeline, yes. For the Prime Timeline no. If we take the official, non-canon explanation of two universes at face value the Prime Timeline doesn't have a point of divergence; it just continues, as shown in Countdown and the Q-Crossover. But timetravel doesn't work like that in Star Trek; you travel back in time in your own universe. This means that there are two important points in time here: the temporal incursion that inflicted the damage to the timeline (Nero and Spock traveling back in time and changing history) and the point of divergence in the now-altered past (their arrival near the Kelvin). This means that in the Prime Timeline history went as far as the Hobus Hypernova, and then got rebooted from the Kelvin-destruction onwards. Everything before that is history; it doesn't matter if we only get to see it now, by the time Nemesis happened (the last non-flashback visit to the Prime Timeline) it was already history and got affected by the changes just as much as, say, an episode of TNG. It's an old hat, just an old hat we happen to see for the first time. It's the in-universe-equivalent of people going "why are you upset? Your DvDs didn't reboot.". Yes, at some point it happened. Until Abrams made it that it didn't happen. When the new series hits and is indeed a Prequel we're not going to see the continuation of the Prime Timeline, we'll see some ghosts.

Quote:
I don't think we will ever see the post-Nemesis era. Writers hate being constrained by 4 tv shows and 10 movies worth of canon.
Easy fix. Go 100 years in the future. Look at how much the Alpha and Beta Quadrant changed during only DS9's last few years. Almost no character of any previous show or movie would still be alive. It's a clean slate without rebooting. Wouldn't be the first time either.

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 05-19-2016 at 09:46 AM..
Old 05-19-2016, 09:44 AM

Elune

You've really only got two choices: post-Nemesis, or in the Abrams universe.

Anything else will be hamstrung by the metric tons of canon.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:49 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Easy fix. Go 100 years in the future. Look at how much the Alpha and Beta Quadrant changed during only DS9's last few years. Almost no character of any previous show or movie would still be alive. It's a clean slate without rebooting. Wouldn't be the first time either.

Quote:
You've really only got two choices: post-Nemesis, or in the Abrams universe.

Anything else will be hamstrung by the metric tons of canon.
They don't have the rights for the Abrams-movies so Prequel or not, the danger of an Abrams-Trek-show is really, really slim. The reason why it starts 2017 is, in fact, a non-compete clause: the show is not allowed to air within six months of Beyond.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:52 AM

Eternal

Quote:
We'd be getting awfully close to regular temporal shenanigans there and, personally, I don't want to see an entire show sentered around time travel. STO is already annoying enough with all that Temporal Cold War stuff.

Tags
entertainment, star wars