Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2013, 09:50 AM

World Builder

Runes Computer Problems Thread

Latest in my trend of Self-Indulgent Threads

Laptop (Asus Republic of Gamers G7V5) has been dying randomly, it's done this in the past but usually months apart, now it's done it three times in the past week, Hibernate was already disabled when the problem started

I'm not usually doing anything particularly intensive on it either.

Thoughts?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-29-2013, 10:04 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

How do you feel about taking it apart?

Laptops are finicky buggers. Often times, fans will fail or perform sub-optimally because dust and lint and hair creeps in, and isn't easily removed. The only way to clean it is to open it up.

You also may want to check to see if things like the RAM and hard drive connections are firmly seated.

What you describe doesn't sound like a software error, but I fear there may be an issue with your system board, which means you're shit outta luck unless you have warranty.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:06 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
How do you feel about taking it apart?

Laptops are finicky buggers. Often times, fans will fail or perform sub-optimally because dust and lint and hair creeps in, and isn't easily removed. The only way to clean it is to open it up.

You also may want to check to see if things like the RAM and hard drive connections are firmly seated.

What you describe doesn't sound like a software error, but I fear there may be an issue with your system board, which means you're shit outta luck unless you have warranty.
Not comfortable taking it apart, nor do I really have a good screwdriver for that, thankfully if it can hold out for a bit longer my dad's got all sorts of tools and he can bring some up, then walk me through how to do the process right.

EDIT:

To be fair though, I checked the fan a few months back and there was zero dirt there, so I'm not sure that's the issue either...

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Not comfortable taking it apart, nor do I really have a good screwdriver for that, thankfully if it can hold out for a bit longer my dad's got all sorts of tools and he can bring some up, then walk me through how to do the process right.

EDIT:

To be fair though, I checked the fan a few months back and there was zero dirt there, so I'm not sure that's the issue either...
I only mentioned the fan bit because I found an enormous clump of crap that had built up behind mine when I opened the lid to do a hard drive swap a while back. It tends to accumulate on the back side of the fan deep under the keyboard where it's not always easy to see.

But checking the other connections seatings is a good idea as well.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 AM

Demon Hunter

What does "dying" mean in this case? Overheating? Random restarts with no error messages? Blue screens (assuming some flavor of windows)? OS freezes require hard restart?
Old 03-31-2013, 05:05 AM

Eternal

Finally, someone else over here has computer problems!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:00 AM

Eternal

It's weird that this brief conversation got stickied but whatever I have been having some problems:

My PC Specs

The issue I have been having is that a game will run pretty smoothly for around 20-30 minutes, and then I hear my fan come on, and my frame rate drops dramatically... and this will continue in short cycles from then after. I've been using two separate programs to track my PC temperatures and I am nowhere close to having any overheating issues. What I did notice is that on this program:

Where it says frequency #0, #1, #2, #3, it will drop from 3214.57MHz to around 800 precisely when this problem occurs. So I've been seeking help on a tech support forum, and they noticed that my 12V Voltage was low, showing 11.032V in my BIOS. They seem pretty sure that this is due to the crappy quality of my cheap PSU (XTreme Gear 600W ATX Power Supply, Model #PSAZ-CP600) and that I should get a new one. I don't see a reason to disagree, but since I saw this thread I figured I would ask for a second opinion here. Do you agree that this is likely the cause of my issues? And can you recommend any quality PSUs?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
It's weird that this brief conversation got stickied but whatever I have been having some problems:

My PC Specs

The issue I have been having is that a game will run pretty smoothly for around 20-30 minutes, and then I hear my fan come on, and my frame rate drops dramatically... and this will continue in short cycles from then after. I've been using two separate programs to track my PC temperatures and I am nowhere close to having any overheating issues. What I did notice is that on this program:

Where it says frequency #0, #1, #2, #3, it will drop from 3214.57MHz to around 800 precisely when this problem occurs. So I've been seeking help on a tech support forum, and they noticed that my 12V Voltage was low, showing 11.032V in my BIOS. They seem pretty sure that this is due to the crappy quality of my cheap PSU (XTreme Gear 600W ATX Power Supply, Model #PSAZ-CP600) and that I should get a new one. I don't see a reason to disagree, but since I saw this thread I figured I would ask for a second opinion here. Do you agree that this is likely the cause of my issues? And can you recommend any quality PSUs?
What games?

I highly doubt it's your PSU. Most devices have a +/- 10% swing in allowed voltage. At 12 volts, if its low you should be in the 10 volt range, not 11.

Try your drivers, reseat your card, and check your game settings.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:29 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
What games?

I highly doubt it's your PSU. Most devices have a +/- 10% swing in allowed voltage. At 12 volts, if its low you should be in the 10 volt range, not 11.

Try your drivers, reseat your card, and check your game settings.
Prototype 2, GTA IV, Anything on PS2 Emulator, Witcher 2, Skyrim (to a lesser extent). I didn't have any issues with Starcraft 2 or World of Warcraft. The weird thing is that for the most part, I see little difference in frame rates between high and low video settings in these games, but the problem will occur regardless of the settings (and I've tinkered with the settings for these games as much as possible). I bought a brand new graphics card only a month ago, and the problem has existed before and after.

Here is my tech support thread for more background.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:48 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Prototype 2, GTA IV, Anything on PS2 Emulator, Witcher 2, Skyrim (to a lesser extent). I didn't have any issues with Starcraft 2 or World of Warcraft. The weird thing is that for the most part, I see little difference in frame rates between high and low video settings in these games, but the problem will occur regardless of the settings (and I've tinkered with the settings for these games as much as possible). I bought a brand new graphics card only a month ago, and the problem has existed before and after.

Here is my tech support thread for more background.
What is your integrated video card. Can it play any of those games? If so, try it. You want to remove things that could be causing issues. Read this as the PCI-e slot, not your video card.

As they say, updating your PSU isn't a horrible idea, I just dont think it's the issue, but you do have a lower end one. But, you mention that it doesn't happen on all games?

Do you mean there are games that it just doesn't happen on at all period, or it doesn't always happen on games sometimes and it does other times?

Again, if it were a hardware issue, within reason, the game shouldn't matter. It would happen consistently.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:51 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
What is your integrated video card. Can it play any of those games? If so, try it. You want to remove things that could be causing issues. Read this as the PCI-e slot, not your video card.

As they say, updating your PSU isn't a horrible idea, I just dont think it's the issue, but you do have a lower end one. But, you mention that it doesn't happen on all games?

Do you mean there are games that it just doesn't happen on at all period, or it doesn't always happen on games sometimes and it does other times?

Again, if it were a hardware issue, within reason, the game shouldn't matter. It would happen consistently.
I think that my PSU is malfunctioning anyway, with the random shutoffs I sometimes have, and the problems occurring at the same time I hear my fan speed up. It doesn't happen in every game, and I think that what the games in which it does happen all have in common is that they are console ports, which as I understand are generally more CPU demanding than GPU? I don't know, but I did order the new PSU. A good quality SeaSonic. I will try it out.

I will see if anything can play on my integrated card and see how that does too.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:31 AM

Eternal

Forgive me for necroing this thread, but I have a very strange problem. The moment when I click play on the Swtor launcher, my entire system freezes, and I have to restart the PC. No error message, no black screen, not even a blue screen of death.

And I can't even get help from Bioware, because I can't yet post on the forums.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 08-14-2013 at 05:34 AM..
Old 08-14-2013, 05:44 AM

Elune

Maybe your PC can't handle the graphics and such? Do you run newer games like Bioshock Infinite without problems?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:47 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Maybe your PC can't handle the graphics and such? Do you run newer games like Bioshock Infinite without problems?
Nah, it's EA games being buggy, most likely.

@CoD1: There's a guy who had the same problems who posted on their forums, they gave him the standard response to check if he had the latest graphics-card driver installed. Do you? (I doubt that that is the issue, though. )
Old 08-14-2013, 05:49 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Well, I do have a outdated graphics card(nvidia 8400 gs), but my pc runs games like Skyrim very well. And Skyrim needs a more advanced graphic card than mine, according to game debate.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/ind...%20Scrolls%20V

And also, my graphics card is apparently 14% better than the minimum card required for SWTOR.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index...vs-geforce-205

What's frustrating is that my pc just stops. Just like that. I can't get into the game, there is no blue screen of death, there is no black screen, there is just the desktop. I can't move my mouse, I can't click. Complete freeze.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 08-14-2013 at 05:52 AM..
Old 08-14-2013, 05:52 AM

SWTOR was able to make my graphics card overheat after some sketchy patches despite running smoothly on maxed settings most of the time. That's why I maintain that it's EA's fault.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:53 AM

Eternal

I even tried windowed mode. Didn't work. Same result.

Apparently according to Game Debate, I do have minimum system requirements for the game. So, why doesn't it work?

And I can't even post on their forums.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 08-14-2013 at 05:56 AM..
Old 08-14-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of duty 1 View Post
I even tried windowed mode. Didn't work. Same result.

Apparently according to Game Debate, I do have minimum system requirements for the game. So, why doesn't it work?

And I can't even post on their forums.
Quote:
Please close the client and go to this location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\

Please run the FixLauncher.exe file in the above location.

Once this is complete, please start the Launcher again (please ensure that launcher.exe and swtor.exe have Administrator privileges) and run the Launcher repair function.

After this is complete, please login again and then run the repair function on the launcher.
Quote:
Have you tried FixLauncher.exe that's in the main swtor folder?
Have you updated your video drivers?
If neither one of these worked, rename the folder with all the swtor settings in it so the game has to rebuild the files. You'll lose all your settings, but you'll know you've got something going wrong in there.
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\SWTOR
Try that, I guess.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:04 AM

Eternal

I have updated my drivers. And I have also ran FixLauncher.exe.

And Rename which folder? Local, or InstallSWTOR?

Not a very nice start to the game, if I ever manage to play it.

Suppose that I shall have to call a computer expert to my house. And buy a new driver.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
I have updated my drivers. And I have also ran FixLauncher.exe.

And Rename which folder? Local, or InstallSWTOR?
The one in AppData\Local\SWTOR\SWTOR it's called settings.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:09 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
The one in AppData\Local\SWTOR\SWTOR it's called settings.
It's not there. All I have in that folder is InstallSWTOR, and in that, I have a bunch of files. But no settings folder.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
It's not there. All I have in that folder is InstallSWTOR, and in that, I have a bunch of files. But no settings folder.
I guess none of the settings are created while installing.

I'll install the game again one of these days, let's see if I get the same errors.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 AM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Try running the launcher as administrator if it's not already doing so?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:01 PM

Hypersensitive

A little late on the topic, but yeah fans can be a real bugger. Had to get my comp fixed a couple weeks ago(thankfully for very cheap compared to most stuff around here), and the tech said the dust buildup(even though I open it up and clean it about once a month) in the crevices of the fan were a huge factor. Luckily I didn't have to replace anything.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:21 AM

Eternal

Ok, so apparently, gd adjusted requirements is what I should need. So, I will have to get a new graphic card.

Tags
computers, did you restart?, google, realspace, tighten up the graphics