Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-25-2016, 10:27 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Blue Tome Best-written Warcraft book?

I'm interested in reading the franchise books. Which one of them has better writing, dialogues, script...?

Oh, and consistency, most of all.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:21 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

I always thought Shadows of the Horde was pretty good, although the end with the panda kissing was a bit... eh.

Illidan is also really well-written, but we all know about how that ends.

Never read Arthas, so I can't tell you much about that. Was not a fan of the Knaack books.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:45 PM

Eternal

Shadows of the Horde has the honor of being the best written out of all books with the most dogshit plot i have ever seen. I mean fuck.

Of Blood and Honor is kick ass and it really shows the talent Metzen has.

Day of the Dragon is the best Knaak book. It had very good stuff, down to earth and felt like traditional fantasy. War of the Ancients suffers mainly because of the night elves.

For graphic novels it will be Ashbringer, Curse of the Worgen, and Pearl of Pandaria. All written my Mickey Nielson, another amazing talent.

Last edited by Arashi; 05-25-2016 at 11:47 PM..
Old 05-26-2016, 12:17 AM

Eternal

The Last Guardian, hands down. It is not a perfect book, by far, but I think it did a great job at showing Azeroth as an actual fantasy world rather than some world adapted from a video game. The scale, the atmosphere, the mystery and lore, everything works for me.

And I love how it portrays the orcs. It is the only novel that manages to potray the orcs of the "old" Horde as something more, far more actually, than demon driven mooks. Has probably to do with the fact that it was written with Warcraft I and II lore in mind, even though it is basically a prequel to Warcraft III.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:22 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
The Last Guardian, hands down. It is not a perfect book, by far, but I think it did a great job at showing Azeroth as an actual fantasy world rather than some world adapted from a video game. The scale, the atmosphere, the mystery and lore, everything works for me.

And I love how it portrays the orcs. It is the only novel that manages to potray the orcs of the "old" Horde as something more, far more actually, than demon driven mooks. Has probably to do with the fact that it was written with Warcraft I and II lore in mind, even though it is basically a prequel to Warcraft III.
Same here. It was the first outside source for Warcraft lore I've read, and although the style and some parts were rather off-putting, I enjoyed it from the world-building point of view. Things like Medivh's words about the "clockwork universe" or the nature of Karazhan have expanded the universe greatly by engaging and showing first-hand (through Khadgar), which is always nice. Plus it gave a little more context to the WC1 era; it might've messed things up a little in terms of chronology, but I got used to imagining the First War as this sort of epic (in the original meaning of that word) event that can't be described "adequately" without adding or retracting something, so I don't mind.

Last edited by Thornedale; 05-26-2016 at 02:14 AM..
Old 05-26-2016, 04:46 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:

Agreed.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:23 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Yeah The Last Guardian. The other archives books, Rise of the Horde and Dawn of the Aspects are also ok. The rest aren't worth reading.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:28 AM

Keeper of the Grove

I'm gonna echo The Last Guardian. Not just the best written, but also my favorite.

"...For my holy wrath will know no bounds..."

Old 05-26-2016, 12:06 PM

Eternal

Yeah, for me it was The Last Guardian and Illidan (even the ending). But even the others are fine, you know.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:46 PM

Elune

It's The Last Guardian
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:58 PM

Eternal

Only idiots who think warcraft 1 is good likes the last guardian.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:11 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
Only idiots who think warcraft 1 is good likes the last guardian.
Yes, we are all idiots because we enjoy things your brain simply can't comprehend. Why don't you rather tell us how everyone is literally incapable of doing wrong?
Old 05-26-2016, 02:13 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Yes, we are all idiots because we enjoy things your brain simply can't comprehend. Why don't you rather tell us how everyone is literally incapable of doing wrong?
Don't waste time with Arashi. Gurzog is an exemplary poster next to him. I don't think anyone here knows why he's even here and the best thing you can do for yourself is to put him on ignore. You won't miss a thing.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:47 PM

Priestess of the Moon
BattleTag: Frostbane#1378

The Last Guardian for me as well. I recently re-read it, actually. Also, it bothers me that we have two canons and the writers never even consider Khadgar x Garona in either one. At least he's closer to her age.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:54 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtheria View Post
The Last Guardian for me as well. I recently re-read it, actually. Also, it bothers me that we have two canons and the writers never even consider Khadgar x Garona in either one. At least he's closer to her age.
I've been thinking the same. It's really weird, especially considering the chemistry the two have in The Last Guardian.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:06 PM

Priestess of the Moon
BattleTag: Frostbane#1378

Conjeror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnfeld View Post
I've been thinking the same. It's really weird, especially considering the chemistry the two have in The Last Guardian.
Glad I'm not alone. Granted, I don't feel it's appropriate for Garona to be with anyone at all during the First War, but establishing growing feelings for Khadgar could pay off later... like in this situation we have right now where they're both in Dalaran and fighting Gul'dan and the Burning Legion together.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:09 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Glad I'm not alone. Granted, I don't feel it's appropriate for Garona to be with anyone at all during the First War, but establishing growing feelings for Khadgar could pay off later... like in this situation we have right now where they're both in Dalaran and fighting Gul'dan and the Burning Legion together.
Well I agree that the optimal choice would've been not pairing her with anybody, but if they insist on pairing her with anybody, I think Khadgar is the best choice because of the chemistry.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:25 PM

Eternal

The Last Guardian, Day of the Dragon, Shadows of the Horde. Maybe Lord of the Clans, too. I'd also love to say ''Blood of the Highborne'' but I haven't got the damn thing yet.

Quote:
All of this. I was actually pretty sure they would go down that route back when I was, like, 14. Way better idea than that MedivhXGarona stuff we eventually got.

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:25 PM

Banished

Blood and Honor. Metzen should write more books or short stories at least.

The Last Guardian are really good. Shadows of the Horde too.

Prelude to Cataclysm is the best Golden book. Day of the Dragon is best of Knaak.

Last edited by Kisaragi; 05-26-2016 at 04:27 PM..
Old 05-26-2016, 05:11 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

The Last Guardian. It's even good outside Warcraft, no need to be inside the universe to enjoy the story.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 05-26-2016, 06:51 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

You nerds are trying to make me read The Last Guardian, eh?
Old 05-26-2016, 07:47 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

Echoing Last Guardian for the reasons everyone else has stated. I think the part that really won me over was when Khadgar and Medivh are flying to Stormwind and there are a few paragraphs describing the city and its citizens going about their daily lives. Few of the Warcraft novels make an attempt at breathing life and atmosphere into the World of Warcraft like that. For the most part they just constantly focus on what the POV characters are doing and it's like they might as well be doing it in a square box instead of a planet teeming with other people.

What makes it even more remarkable is that it's entirely from Khadgar's POV and the pacing is on point. Pacing with single POV can be very tough to nail down but Grubb excelled at doing so.

Shadows of the Horde, Illidan, Rise of the Horde, and Blood and Honor also deserve special mention. The rest sans Night of the Dragon were enjoyable reads and I'd recommend them to anyone who likes Warcraft, but they nothing particularly great. Night of the Dragon is the only one I had to force myself to finish, and rarely do I want to stop reading a book. If I'm not getting enjoyment of the plot and characters etc I'm at least getting enjoyment out of analyzing everything about it. Night of the Dragon did neither of those things for me.

Last edited by Yorenec; 05-26-2016 at 07:53 PM..
Old 05-26-2016, 10:03 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Warcraft novels are only enjoyable when they arenot about present stuff. That's why the novels in the RTS era are good. Rise of the Horde and Dawn of the Aspects (for the bigger part) are also from previous era. And that's ultimately what the novels should be about, fleshing out the world. Not telling us the same bullshit story we currently get in the game.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:34 AM

Banished

Quote:

Another vote for The Last Guardian from me.

To give him the credit he deserves however, I will point out Blood and Honour is a great read and I'm still disappointed Metzen hasn't done more "grunt work" with the Lore since, because he's far better suited to the real work instead of some figurehead VP position that seems to offer him no real say in anything bar appearing at BlizzCon or an occasional video. I don't know what really goes on that high up behind the scenes, in fairness, but I think we've all agreed several times that Metzen doesn't have the pull he once did, for whatever reason/s
Old 05-28-2016, 03:32 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Thanks for all the responses. Fortunately I was able to read something about Of Blood and Honor and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlee View Post
He did not consider solutions. Even if he insisted he that he was indebted to shitfaced mass murdering orc, he didn't really help the orc in allowing him to secretly squat on his lands. The danger the orc posed to people still existed and the orc continued to live in isolation as a fugitive.

Tirion only considered either or. He did not seek for a single moment a way to reconcile the situation.

And I'd like to mention again that any time orc "nobility" is on display, the Alliance character is at a distinct disadvantage and always in a weak position.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/thre...-honor.215863/

This guy spells it out pretty well what's wrong with Tirion.
.... what a bad book and a shitty character.

Sorry to everyone who recommended OBaH, but is that one of the best regarded books of Warcraft?

I have The Last Guardian on sight for now, and will read it as soon as I find an english copy. Wouldn't be nice to read it with an ebook reader.

Tags
literature, warcraft