Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-23-2014, 12:17 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Default Technology Marches On! A Thread on Azerothian Technology.

So with the relative absence of new lore to discuss on the horizon, I've been feeling like a good ol' speculation thread was in order.

I realize I've been known to complain about the stagnation of various races in terms of their material and cultural development, so I thought I'd create a space (well, another space, let's be honest, these threads pop up every once in a while) to discuss some technological developments (be they magical or mundane) which could potentially blossom in the various peoples of Azeroth.

Given the recent revelation from War Crimes, which showed that a voodoo fetish can be used to run an entire airship with minimal maintenance over prolonged periods of times, I could see these magics being used more broadly to give the Trolls an edge, not just in warfare, but in all sorts of areas from transportation, all the way to the mechanization of their workforce.

What would you (Yes, you!) like to see?
Old 05-23-2014, 12:27 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Given the recent revelation from War Crimes, which showed that a voodoo fetish can be used to run an entire airship with minimal maintenance over prolonged periods of times, I could see these magics being used more broadly to give the Trolls an edge, not just in warfare, but in all sorts of areas from transportation, all the way to the mechanization of their workforce.
Wait what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:36 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Wait what?
In War Crimes, it's revealed that the Alliance is still holding Harrowmeiser captive and using his ship, but not allowing him to perform any maintenance on it.

When Thalen asks him how it's still running after all this time, Harrowmeiser answers something to the effect of "bits of string and a troll voodoo fetish", to which he responds "haha, no but seriously", only for Harrowmeiser to open a compartment of sorts and reveal an animal skull with some paint and feathers on it, pulsing with magic.

I can find the exact passage when I'm near my copy of the book, if you'd like.

But if voodoo can be used to run an airship, I don't see what's stopping it from being applied in other fields. It could be as simple as sticking it in a mill, and you could grind your grain without the need of wind or water to power it.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:13 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

That sounds really dumb, and I'm gonna have to add that to the list of reasons NOT to buy the book.

I'm sure someone has the Cliff's Notes up on WowPedia or something by now, right?
Old 05-23-2014, 01:13 PM

Eternal

In a world of tanks, machine guns, lasers, airships and gnomish weapon satellites, I'd like for human troops to stop carrying swords. I know Blizz has said it's iconic so they're keeping it, but seriously. When orc troops are carrying rifles and the humans are still using swords, something has gone wrong.

I'd also like to see the communication system glimpsed in the Alliance intro to Pandaria used more extensively. It appears to be a magical version of Star Wars' holonet.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:18 PM

Arch-Druid

It's type for the franchise to go cosmic. Take the war into the stars.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:26 PM

Elune

I still think technology has gone too far in Warcraft. I was comfortable with it around BC or so, but since then it's kind of exploded. But we can't very well just suddenly have all these new things disappear one day, so I'm content to just ask that we not go any further from here.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:31 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
I still think technology has gone too far in Warcraft. I was comfortable with it around BC or so, but since then it's kind of exploded. But we can't very well just suddenly have all these new things disappear one day, so I'm content to just ask that we not go any further from here.
I'll admit I'm always a bit surprised to see this kind of answer, but this thread can still be for you!

Any new techniques, magics, devices and what have you don't necessarily have to be a step up in the proverbial tech tree so much as just a clever use of existing technologies.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:17 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

I want to see less technology. Preferably a magic asteroid hits or something and the whole Azeroth is reverted to stone age. If people want to see tech we can have them club each other with unloaded firearms (can't make more bullets) or chucking mechanical parts at each other.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:30 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorhoofMayo View Post
I want to see less technology. Preferably a magic asteroid hits or something and the whole Azeroth is reverted to stone age. If people want to see tech we can have them club each other with unloaded firearms (can't make more bullets) or chucking mechanical parts at each other.
You mean melting lead to make bullets would be too hard, or making gunpowder, or using iron/steel to make swords, axes and armor too difficult after an asteroid hits Azeroth? How would it affect a charcoal/coal forge? Smelting of ores? Hot air balloons, magic? Steam engines?
Old 05-24-2014, 05:32 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

It's a magical asteroid. It's magical power is to revert shit to the stone age.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:27 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorhoofMayo View Post
It's a magical asteroid. It's magical power is to revert shit to the stone age.

Assuming you're being serious... It would have to basically rewrite how the world works, including the Titan tech sites (wouldn't that mean the old gods would be able to break out of their prisons?), as well as making -everyone- a moron since digging, smelting and forging metals into weapons is easy and doesn't require high tech. Neither does making basic gunpowder or any number of things. Not to mention magic covers a lot of areas. Would it affect all of that too? How would a magic asteroid be able to negate -all- of that? Just saying 'it's magic' is a totally assed explanation that doesn't work in any way, shape or form.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:31 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynrind View Post
Assuming you're being serious....
This is why no one takes you to Dairy Queen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:26 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

As I've said before, the juxtaposition of high tech and traditional fantasy tech is one of my favorite parts of the Warcraft setting. It's pretty much the only fantasy setting where knights fighting orcs with machine guns and flamethrowers, or shirtless, axe-wielding berserkers riding motorcycles is played seriously.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:33 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
As I've said before, the juxtaposition of high tech and traditional fantasy tech is one of my favorite parts of the Warcraft setting. It's pretty much the only fantasy setting where knights fighting orcs with machine guns and flamethrowers, or shirtless, axe-wielding berserkers riding motorcycles is played seriously.
I'm not sure it's actually played seriously, though. Is anything, these days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:45 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I'm not sure it's actually played seriously, though. Is anything, these days?
They don't specifically point them out as jokes. At least the guns versus swords is definitely serious (or there's some sarcasm/irony I'm missing, which is entirely possible). I'd argue the motorcycles are shown as being normal with the Kargath bikers, Grizzle riding one, and all the advanced stuff seen in SoO and Warlords, but I can see the first two being taken as jokes.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:43 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Eh, I'm fine with Humans using swords/shield as long as they don't solely use that.

Then again, my headcanon has always been that Alliance Soldiers carry rifles in addition to their swords and shields, giving the basic soldier some form of defense against flying foes (especially after the results of the Third War and the Horde gaining a larger menagerie of flying monstrosities).
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 05-25-2014, 04:14 AM

Drunk Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
Eh, I'm fine with Humans using swords/shield as long as they don't solely use that.

Then again, my headcanon has always been that Alliance Soldiers carry rifles in addition to their swords and shields, giving the basic soldier some form of defense against flying foes (especially after the results of the Third War and the Horde gaining a larger menagerie of flying monstrosities).
S'what the human soldiers do in Icecrown for the assault on the Frost Vrykul city.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:21 AM

Keeper of the Grove

I'm fine with all the technology being there and used at times, but I like the medieval sword and shield/bow and arrow aesthetic too much to see it be replaced by guns everywhere. The fact the Stormwind soldiers already act like more modern military except wearing plate bothers me too. Bring in some reasons why the technology isn't used everywhere and why the more medieval weapons still hold up I say.

"...For my holy wrath will know no bounds..."

Old 05-25-2014, 05:39 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

thought kosak said that most of the "technology" (like machine guns and shit) is just "Gameplay"... I am not gonnna go into details on how stupid that sounds but..
Old 05-25-2014, 05:07 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Warcraft has always had technology. Did you guys forget submarines in WC2? If you don't want tech go to warhammer or lotr.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:20 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomaul the Great View Post
Warcraft has always had technology. Did you guys forget submarines in WC2? If you don't want tech go to warhammer or lotr.
Aye, Warcraft has always taken elements from traditional High Fantasy supplemented with some measure of technology not typically associated with the genre, so I don't think it's too problematic to have the sword and board knights still kicking around alongside your fancier units and tech.

But speculation! Does no one have anything they'd like to see developed further?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:42 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomaul the Great View Post
Warhammer has plenty of tech. It's pseudo-science and sometimes magic-based, but they still have an assortment of guns, tanks, flying machines and weapons of mass destruction.

Just look at anything the Dwarves and Skaven have. It's close to Warcraft's tech as far as weapons of war.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:50 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

I like some elements of Warcraft's tech, but I think it sometimes goes to far.

I liked the WC3 levels of tech the most. I like tanks and planes being supplemental to the medieval infantry, but I don't like how all of the different armies in WoW now act like modern military units. Instead of tanks and planes being rare and impactful they feel like commonplace and medieval units feel rare.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:45 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Also remember that people in the warcraft setting are stronger faster and tougher. Sure a gun is better than a sword, but not if the guy holding the sword can block/dodge that bullet, and swing hard enough to cut through a tank.

Tags
magic snort snort, science