Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 09-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Elune

Do you think Illegal immigrants should be expelled from the United States?

Whats the limit to that?

If theyve managed to make it her for 5 years they should get a pass?

Whats your stance on that
Old 09-02-2017, 11:11 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Do you think Illegal immigrants should be expelled from the United States?

Whats the limit to that?

If theyve managed to make it her for 5 years they should get a pass?

Whats your stance on that
1. If they are breaking the law they ought to be deported or go to jail as warranted by the severity of the crime.

2. I think ICE's budget is better turned towards helping people integrate and immigration reform, rather than shoving people back over the border. If people are here, working, then it's counterproductive to go after them rather than the companies paying garbage wages or hiring them en-masse.

if companies have to pay a decent wage that'll attract US workers and actually bother to train them to work with the various crops then there'll be a gradual transition to US workers taking the jobs, and illegal immigration will drop off naturally.

3. How they conduct themselves should be more of an issue than how long they've been here. If they're behaving like model citizens and just lack paperwork, then our attention is better spent elsewhere.

As an addendum, while Mexico needs to get the cartels under control, we need to do our part and actually go after drug demand especially among white-collar criminals.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-02-2017, 12:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
When someone's shooting and killing people in a coordinated effort to conquer territory, that's an invasion.

Using it in the context you are, while grammatically correct, is intentionally misleading, self serving, and hateful.
If a country is accidentally conquered it's okay then? So long as it isn't intentional and coordinated?

If over the course of a number of years Indians began moving to Somalia until Somalians were a minority that would be okay so long as the Indians weren't doing it in a coordinated way that involved killing Somalians?
Old 09-02-2017, 12:09 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
If a country is accidentally conquered it's okay then? So long as it isn't intentional and coordinated?

If over the course of a number of years Indians began moving to Somalia until Somalians were a minority that would be okay so long as the Indians weren't doing it in a coordinated way that involved killing Somalians?
Over the years the Somali wouldn't just disappear, they and the Indians would blend.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-02-2017, 12:28 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

I'm still wondering how Mertico feels about all those damn Irish, Italian, and German immigrants that refused to integrate here and took over the country.

Anyway, what's the opinion of our righties on the GOP trying to cut $1bil from FEMA now to pay for the wall?
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/30/gop-...help-wall.html
Is Mexico saving Houston part of "making them pay for it"?

Also, if the wall is so necessary, why don't we leave it up to the free market? Private corporations will build it on their own.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 09-02-2017 at 12:58 PM..
Old 09-02-2017, 03:12 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
1. If they are breaking the law they ought to be deported or go to jail as warranted by the severity of the crime.
Technically they are committing a crime. How do you feel about people who coke here legally?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:16 PM

Elune

The DoJ has admitted that neither Obama nor anybody else in the government did the wiretapping that the president accuses Obama of.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...retap-foia-doj
Member #14
Old 09-02-2017, 03:57 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Technically they are committing a crime. How do you feel about people who coke here legally?
Technically yes but someone who immigrates illegally but otherwise doesn't harm anyone is always going to be a lower priority in my opinion than a domestic person who steals or murders.

I'm gonna guess you meant 'come' here legally, and they're the same as any other citizen imo.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-02-2017, 06:49 PM

Elune

Quote:
Over the years the Somali wouldn't just disappear, they and the Indians would blend.
By blending they would disappear. Or what if the Somalians didn't want anymore Indians to come but couldn't stop it?
Old 09-02-2017, 07:07 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Technically yes but someone who immigrates illegally but otherwise doesn't harm anyone is always going to be a lower priority in my opinion than a domestic person who steals or murders.

I'm gonna guess you meant 'come' here legally, and they're the same as any other citizen imo.
No, he clearly said "coke here legally".

So which states are we talking about here? Oregon?
Old 09-02-2017, 07:11 PM

World Builder

Quote:
By blending they would disappear.

Or what if the Somalians didn't want anymore Indians to come but couldn't stop it?
1. Literally untrue. This is gene-purity eugenics nonsense.

2. What if they did want them to stay? What if the sky rained chocolate?

You can make up "What ifs" all day. It's not going to change the reality of the situation in the US or Europe.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-02-2017, 09:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
1. Literally untrue. This is gene-purity eugenics nonsense.

2. What if they did want them to stay? What if the sky rained chocolate?

You can make up "What ifs" all day. It's not going to change the reality of the situation in the US or Europe.
Mexico was unchanged by the Spanish conquest then, if I am understanding your logic correctly.

And what situation in the US and Europe is that?
Old 09-02-2017, 09:28 PM

Elune

Quote:
Mexico was unchanged by the Spanish conquest then, if I am understanding your logic correctly.
And America has been conquered by the massive influx of Irish, Italian, and German immigrants in the 19th century.
Member #14
Old 09-02-2017, 09:31 PM

World Builder

Quote:

And what situation in the US and Europe is that?
You're ignoring military aspect as well as the ensuing plague.

That people are fleeing to more industrialized areas because their homes are unstable.

Deporting people will not solve the problem longterm, nor will simply blocking them off. We need to address the factors that are causing them to seek refuge in the first place.

Ex: Drug demand in the US, NAFTA destroying the market for mexican crops, And the instability in the Middle East.

I'm not saying the US bears sole responsibility, but those are the factors contributing to our problems that are in our control, and will best alleviate the problems.

Calling illegal immigrants invaders is an oversimplified 'feel good' solution, cause it feels nice to have someone to blame and to hate people you see as 'the other' or 'the enemy' but it doesn't actually solve the problem in any way, shape, or form.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-02-2017, 10:53 PM

Elune

So what you are saying is America is responsible for fixing Mexicos problems if illegal immigration is to stop...

Well, I agree. America probably should usurp Mexico, and purge the drug cartels by force.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:37 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
So what you are saying is America is responsible for fixing Mexicos problems if illegal immigration is to stop...

Well, I agree. America probably should usurp Mexico, and purge the drug cartels by force.
I feel like you're not even trying to understand what I'm saying.

Quote:
I'm not saying the US bears sole responsibility, but those are the factors contributing to our problems that are in our control, and will best alleviate the problems.
We don't need to fix Mexico's problems, we need to take care of Drug demand in the US and our impact on their agriculture/economy, which contributes to Mexico's problems.

Usurping Mexico would be a hilariously out of place proposal to solve the problem of illegal immigration.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-03-2017, 06:45 AM

Elune

Quote:
You're ignoring military aspect as well as the ensuing plague.

That people are fleeing to more industrialized areas because their homes are unstable.

Deporting people will not solve the problem longterm, nor will simply blocking them off. We need to address the factors that are causing them to seek refuge in the first place.

Ex: Drug demand in the US, NAFTA destroying the market for mexican crops, And the instability in the Middle East.

Calling illegal immigrants invaders is an oversimplified 'feel good' solution, cause it feels nice to have someone to blame and to hate people you see as 'the other' or 'the enemy' but it doesn't actually solve the problem in any way, shape, or form.
Should Americans have a lower quality of living if it means that Mexicans will have a higher one?
Old 09-03-2017, 06:53 AM

Elune

Most countries in the world don't have the US problem with illegal immigration because they actually enforce the law and don't provide incentives for people to illegally‚Äč immigrate. The long term solution is changing the perverse incentives that has had the Democratic Party encourage this kind of behavior.

There is nothing pragmatic about illegal immigration. All of this is a bunch of baseless excuse making to justify the status quo that has benefited the Democratic Party at the expense of the nation. The US sacrificed and worked hard to become as wealthy as we are and now some people want to reap the rewards without doing the difficult things to keep us wealthy.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:36 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Most countries in the world don't have the US problem with illegal immigration because they actually enforce the law and don't provide incentives for people to illegally‚Äč immigrate. The long term solution is changing the perverse incentives that has had the Democratic Party encourage this kind of behavior.
Examples?
Old 09-03-2017, 11:07 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Should Americans have a lower quality of living if it means that Mexicans will have a higher one?
False dichotomy.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
All of this is a bunch of baseless excuse making to justify the status quo that has benefited the Democratic Party at the expense of the nation.

The US sacrificed and worked hard to become as wealthy as we are and now some people want to reap the rewards without doing the difficult things to keep us wealthy.
1. Untrue, this is nothing but a hateful partisan insult.

2. This is arrogant and untrue. You demonize other people and call them lazy or evil to avoid understanding their lives or views.

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 09-03-2017 at 11:32 AM..
Old 09-03-2017, 01:36 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Examples?
Well, I can tell you my colleagues at the immigration have no problems searching, detaining, and ultimately deporting those who trespass our territory illegally. As it should be.

Quote:
I've always found the notion that I should care for some stranger as much as my family rather strange, even at the macro-level. But people have different worldviews, that is natural.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:54 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Well, I can tell you my colleagues at the immigration have no problems searching, detaining, and ultimately deporting those who trespass our territory illegally. As it should be.
We don't really have problems with that, either. Hundreds of thousands of people are caught trying to cross the border illegally every quarter. US Border Patrol claims they have an 81% success rate.
I think a lot of people don't understand that the majority of illegal immigrants in the US entered the country perfectly legally. These are usually the same ignorant people who want to waste billions of tax dollars on a wall.
Member #14
Old 09-03-2017, 03:20 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
We don't really have problems with that, either. Hundreds of thousands of people are caught trying to cross the border illegally every quarter. US Border Patrol claims they have an 81% success rate.
I think a lot of people don't understand that the majority of illegal immigrants in the US entered the country perfectly legally. These are usually the same ignorant people who want to waste billions of tax dollars on a wall.
I was also speaking of those who enter legally, but remain illegally. They are pretty successful too.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:28 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I've always found the notion that I should care for some stranger as much as my family rather strange
Do you think anyone on the forum believes this?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-03-2017, 03:34 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Do you think anyone on the forum believes this?
Possibly. But what would I know, Dutchie hasn't made a poll on this so far.

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president