Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Default The Secret World MMO

SOOOOOO (i don't think there is a thread about this game, if there is than i am too stupid too find it via search)

anyone else interested in the MMO "The Secret World"? Supposed to be a thinking man's MMO developed by Ragnar Tornquist, the creator of The Longest Journey.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/

i read some stuff about the game and was very curious but doubted they could hold their promise of a real engaging MMO set in our world. But after reading a "Hands on" Article on RPS
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...-secret-world/ i can't wait.

The Quests are Puzzels and Quizzes which have to be solved by the community. The Game even encourages you to not only look for clues ingame but also using google (you can even use google ingame^^)

the fighting is "real-time", which weapons are used in realtime, magic has cooldown.

well the RPS article gives a better picture (also in better english xD)

if the game is really how its described than this MMO should be even better than GW2.

There are no "classes" in game and over 500 unique skills to choose from. A buttload of different weapons. the only "restriction" is the faction you choose in the beginning.

right now i am still researching them. so far all of em seems to be very interesing.

i think this game is something SoL members would really appreciate.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:42 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

I was mildly interested in it, then I heard about the WoD MMO and that overlapped the only reason I was interested in it.

Although WoDs future is starting to look a little bleak.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:52 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
SOOOOOO (i don't think there is a thread about this game, if there is than i am too stupid too find it via search)

anyone else interested in the MMO "The Secret World"? Supposed to be a thinking man's MMO developed by Ragnar Tornquist, the creator of The Longest Journey.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/

i read some stuff about the game and was very curious but doubted they could hold their promise of a real engaging MMO set in our world. But after reading a "Hands on" Article on RPS
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...-secret-world/ i can't wait.

The Quests are Puzzels and Quizzes which have to be solved by the community. The Game even encourages you to not only look for clues ingame but also using google (you can even use google ingame^^)

the fighting is "real-time", which weapons are used in realtime, magic has cooldown.

well the RPS article gives a better picture (also in better english xD)

if the game is really how its described than this MMO should be even better than GW2.

There are no "classes" in game and over 500 unique skills to choose from. A buttload of different weapons. the only "restriction" is the faction you choose in the beginning.

right now i am still researching them. so far all of em seems to be very interesing.

i think this game is something SoL members would really appreciate.
Holy shit, that's pretty cool. I mean, templar with assault rifles, illuminati with gas masks, and storm ninjas.

Fuck EA and Origin behind it, I hate that privacy-raping platform.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-22-2011, 04:06 AM

Priestess of the Moon

I still think Funcom should get the fuck out of the MMO business and back to working on The Longest Journey.

I swear to fucking God if they make the end to the trilogy "more appealing to the masses", I will write an angry post on the internet. The "combat" in Dreamfall was already stupid enough.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:45 AM

Eternal

I have a varied experience with Funcom, I like AO, but hate AOC, not sure what I would think of this one, but yeah it does look intriguing and is developed by the same people who did AO.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul
Old 05-09-2012, 06:01 AM

Elune

Got a beta for this weekend's beta event. Let's see what this game is about .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 05-09-2012, 08:05 AM

Lord of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Got a beta for this weekend's beta event. Let's see what this game is about .
It's about a bunch of failed norwegian game developers' last desperate cries for money as they're slowly, but surely dragged towards bankruptcy and certain financial doom.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 AM

Banished

This won me TBH
Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

It's a shame. I like the concept and I'm a fan of Tornquist's works but the gameplay and business decisions just aren't endearing me to the game. If it was made by anyone other than funcom, maybe it'd have a better chance.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:03 PM

Elune

This game is bad. Needs TONS of polishing. Graphics look bad, and gameplay looks nice, but feels too weird too often.

Character customization is pretty poor, too. And this is supposed to have a monthly fee? too bad.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:38 PM

Banished

Pro tip: When you're in a launcher and there are letters, read them. They form sentences

I'm actually having a lot of fun. Needs definitely more polish and I won't buy it before I can have another look but the class system is fun, the enviroment and voice acting are top notch. Story is good too. And the puzzle quests are really a breath of fresh air.
But, yeah, polish ... it's weird how the game looks better on medium than on high.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Banished

Who did you roll?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Banished

Who as in faction?
I only have the weekend beta so it's only Templar that are available.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:30 PM

Banished

Oh, I see. Templars would be my 2nd option
Old 05-12-2012, 08:10 PM

Arch-Druid

I'm going to be rocking Illuminati.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Played a bit of the beta. Thought it would be shit, but it was fairly fun.

Wouldn't pay a monthly fee for it though.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:21 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Why wont the beta install FASTER I should have been in bed 20 minutes ago.

I hear the story and questing is bad. Really this is just filling my need for WoD Online but my interest is peaked. I'll let you know once this fucker finally installs.

So far I'm incredibly impressed with their swift GM staff.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:24 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Why wont the beta install FASTER I should have been in bed 20 minutes ago.

I hear the story and questing is bad. Really this is just filling my need for WoD Online but my interest is peaked. I'll let you know once this fucker finally installs.

So far I'm incredibly impressed with their swift GM staff.
Well it's easy for small games to have swift support. :p Especially when they need to win over whoever they can.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:44 AM

Eternal

Quote:
This game is bad. Needs TONS of polishing. Graphics look bad, and gameplay looks nice, but feels too weird too often.

Character customization is pretty poor, too. And this is supposed to have a monthly fee? too bad.
Well...that's Funcom for ya!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul
Old 05-13-2012, 08:39 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:

Not that I'm advocating this games corner as I haven't even been able to log in yet...

But it's still mid beta, they are just entering into preorders. they did say that the Character customization isn't finished.

Quote:
Character creation will be improved and expanded for launch, with more customization options added for both appearance and clothing. There will also be some changes to the GUI and to the background scenes.
Quote:
Character creation isn't currently finalized, we will be working on it further in later builds.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:06 AM

Elune

Quote:
Not that I'm advocating this games corner as I haven't even been able to log in yet...

But it's still mid beta, they are just entering into preorders. they did say that the Character customization isn't finished.
You don't make a beta for this... only gives bad reactions in response.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:17 PM

Banished

You make an Open Beta Weekend to stress test. Not as a sales pitch.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Honestly I don't understand the "Beta's are just demos" people. Any time someone makes a post of that nature on an official forum they deserve to have their beta access revoked. Which is unfortunately about three quarters of the people playing the MoP beta.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:39 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Honestly I don't understand the "Beta's are just demos" people. Any time someone makes a post of that nature on an official forum they deserve to have their beta access revoked. Which is unfortunately about three quarters of the people playing the MoP beta.
Depending on the publisher, betas are more about marketing than bug fixing. They're a way for the player to try out a game before buying, and this is reinforced by the publisher by holding contests for beta keys or including them with some purchase (like, say, a year of WoW or pre-ordering the game's CE). Don't you remember back when only a handfull of people got into betas and applying for them was like applying for a job?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:05 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Depending on the publisher, betas are more about marketing than bug fixing. They're a way for the player to try out a game before buying, and this is reinforced by the publisher by holding contests for beta keys or including them with some purchase (like, say, a year of WoW or pre-ordering the game's CE). Don't you remember back when only a handfull of people got into betas and applying for them was like applying for a job?
I do, and I get it, but people who expect beta's to be finished free products and get upset at the presence of bugs yet fail to properly report them are a pretty big issue. Advertising or not they are still betas and the players are still supposed to be testers. I guess pretty much all companies have given up on trying to maintain NDAs and whatnot. It's still pretty backwards since most of the feedback that comes out of Beta's where toolbags encounter a minor issue is "This game sucks!!!!!!1!"

They seem to provide more negative publicity than positive as a marketing tool. Not to mention the people who play the beta, get sick of it and cant be fucked to buy the game. Lack of actual testing being done or constructive feedback is also a huge issue towards progressing the games development. It's a strange logic these principals operate on.

Last edited by Sonneillon; 05-13-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Tags
mmo