Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 07:23 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Night Elf Icon (War3) There Is Something Fundamentally Broken About Night Elves

Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning!

New expansion spoilers

One of the first things we learn about the new expansion is how the Night Elves lose control of Kalimdor. It goes as far as Teldrassil being burned. While this is a major blow to Night Elf fans, it worries me that they aren’t mentioned in the upcoming faction war.

Yes, we don’t know the full story, or what happens in the future, but it’s fair to say that night elves should be at the front of this story after having suffered such an unprecedented loss. There’s also Tyrande, and even Malfurion. Both so far, aren’t mentioned in the upcoming expansion. Again, they could be involved, but don’t appear to be the narrative focus unlike the other leaders.

Most can agree that the elves have been written poorly. Many will also wish for them to return to their Warcraft 3 roots. I personally don’t want that. They moved on from that story for a reason, and I believe that backtracking is bad for WoW. What I want for them is to have a narrative direction. Problem right now is that they don’t.

For a race that is usually the victim of some attack, the elves don’t get to respond in any major way. The cataclysm, the war in Ashenvale, and now this. Elves aren’t made to react, just to suffer. This is upsetting, for a race whose major theme in wc3 was to change from their past lives.

I’m cautiously optimistic about the next expansion. Despite the faction war, there are new things to enjoy about it. I hope the night elves will be one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:06 AM

Mountain Giant

This is why I hope that night elves are the ones who spark the war. I want them to be proactive. To take the initiative after such a long time of being reactive and defensive. Maybe there's an orc ship that got lost on their water and they see it as a provocation enough to begin a war over. Maybe they just heard that Sylvanas was in Orgimmar and they take the initiative.

There are no Alliance leaders who'd undermine Anduin except for Tyrande.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:12 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Night Elves peaked with the Mohawk class, and it's all been downhill from there.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:22 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

I'm just plain ol' cautious about the next expac. I was the same way with Legion, and I didn't expect it to be as good as it was (7.2 aside). But I think night elves are meant to suffer because of their haughty nature, immortality, their previous queen... never mind that they lost that immortality, are humble enough to accept worgen into their lands, and haven't had a monarchy for over ten thousand years.

It's a very annoying trope. The "age-old race of wise people need to be served humble pie by humans" comes up in fantasy and sci-fi way too fucking often.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:35 AM

Priestess of the Moon

I will reply to this more in depth later this evening when I am in a better position to do so.

In the meantime, your optimism is adorable, but misguided. When viewing the long trend of Night Elf post WC3 lore, there is no reason for that optimism.

That's why, if you are a Night Elf fan, and you are still paying Blizzard to do this to you, you should stop doing that today.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:44 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
That's why, if you are a Night Elf fan, and you are still paying Blizzard to do this to you, you should stop doing that today.
I guess now would be a good time to finally tell you that I for one stopped doing it after the lich king fell. Cata was next on the line after all, and I figured Kalimdor wasn't big enough for me and those users of the forbidden(for a god damn good reason, goddamnit!) arts who got pardoned and allowed into Ashenvale for no reason I could understand.

See, I'm just here about the fact that I've been following the story from the sidelines, except that after the next upcoming fiasco, there's evidently going to be jack shit left to read about at all.

Last edited by Icefrost; 11-08-2017 at 08:54 AM..
Old 11-08-2017, 08:24 AM

Chimaera

Not seeing the surprise here, other than the kick to their teeth being the biggest one in the history of WoW (not counting 10,000 year old stuff here).

They're the same inactive bag'o beans getting thrown around like always, with the writers vehemently, actively refusing to do anything with them other than portraying them as the humans' token archery squad and making endless excuses why everyone else is using arts and techniques that should've been their specialty and beating them over the head with 'em.

They are the new human-sidekick elves, the closest thing to the alliance having high elves again (unless you're into them voidthings, in which case I guess you got served double, congratz), as per the request of many. Soon complete with their own highborne magic town somewhere in the ass end of the EK, paying the human king's taxes for the rest of their lives.

The audience asked for a Tyrande scene and we got A Little patience.
The audience asked for high elves and we got this.
Meanwhile me and like-minded folks lost every reason to care about warcraft ever again.

Thalassian elves, highborne, magic dominated races - these were always my least favourite and most hated things about warcraft.
The last week has reminded me why.

They're either always the enemy, or they're an excuse to take away all nice things from certain other fans.

Last edited by Icefrost; 11-08-2017 at 08:30 AM..
Old 11-09-2017, 04:44 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning!

New expansion spoilers

One of the first things we learn about the new expansion is how the Night Elves lose control of Kalimdor. It goes as far as Teldrassil being burned. While this is a major blow to Night Elf fans, it worries me that they aren’t mentioned in the upcoming faction war.

Yes, we don’t know the full story, or what happens in the future, but it’s fair to say that night elves should be at the front of this story after having suffered such an unprecedented loss. There’s also Tyrande, and even Malfurion. Both so far, aren’t mentioned in the upcoming expansion. Again, they could be involved, but don’t appear to be the narrative focus unlike the other leaders.

Most can agree that the elves have been written poorly. Many will also wish for them to return to their Warcraft 3 roots. I personally don’t want that. They moved on from that story for a reason, and I believe that backtracking is bad for WoW. What I want for them is to have a narrative direction. Problem right now is that they don’t.

For a race that is usually the victim of some attack, the elves don’t get to respond in any major way. The cataclysm, the war in Ashenvale, and now this. Elves aren’t made to react, just to suffer. This is upsetting, for a race whose major theme in wc3 was to change from their past lives.

I’m cautiously optimistic about the next expansion. Despite the faction war, there are new things to enjoy about it. I hope the night elves will be one of them.
if they had not abandoned the use of magic they could have had a magical shield to protect them
Old 11-09-2017, 05:07 AM

Arch-Druid

They could grow a new tree in Duskwood. In the Twilight Grove.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:13 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

I would argue their fans are the most broken part and their unrealistic view of them.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 11-09-2017, 07:52 AM

Mountain Giant

Exactly. It's why I don't RP a night elf anymore, because it's rather hard to get a hold of night elf players whom have been able to reconcile their characters with the changes in the lore. Which I understand, they're roleplayers after all.

However, rather than accepting that these are different times, night elf fans have continued to perpetuate outdated ideas among themselves and I think because of that, Blizzard has writen itself into a corner in regards to pleasing the night elf fans.

I don't excuse Blizzard for their poor writing of night elves. They did write them very poorly. However, particularly around the new perspectives on the arcane, they have unintentionally invalidated most of the culture of the night elves.

How it could be repaired; Potentially.
Here's how I think it can be repaired; the night elves do not use the arcane in the same way as other races, but they have always used it. It's not even a secret, they know that the moonwells are laced with arcane magic.

However, the arcane that the night elves use, is strictly used as a reinforcement of other magic. Particularly, they channel it specifically through their moonwells, which channel it towards buildings which are reinforced with druidic magic in turn. The moonwells reinforce the natural and divine magic with the arcane and the blessings of the aspects.

So, night elves are in tune with the arcane and they do indeed use the arcane passively, but they do not use it in the same way as everyone else and they see a direct appeal to the arcane a zero-sum loss. They want the arcane to be contained to the second well of eternity, Nordrassil and to the moonwells. Using the arcane pure is wasteful.

Or something along those lines. Basically, the night elves don't have a problem with the concept of "the arcane", they have/had a problem with using the arcane wastefully.

EDIT: Edited out shitty theory.

Last edited by Sacredless; 11-09-2017 at 09:09 AM..
Old 11-09-2017, 05:00 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

"GIVE NIGHT ELVES ARCANE MAGIC BACK!"

Yeah bro, sure.

That would make a lot of sense.

Except it wouldn't.

They wouldn't be able to accept such a sudden, radical change out of nowhere just because everyone else wields arcane magic, because their whole culture and mores have a deep fear of the usage of magic rooted in their very core.

Just like the village from The Village (2004) has a deep ingrained fear of the color red.

The collective culture and morals is to fear red.

Doesn't matter how many of their allies use arcane, and actually any sorts of magic (whaddup Illidari). It's cultural, and it's not something easy to change.

Sure, you can have one or two tribal offshoots or maybe even a warband rediscovering arcane magic and losing their fear of it, but not the entire race.

You defend Night Elves but you refuse to think of them as people with mores, beliefs and fears.

You aim for morally justified characters but refuse to think on them as complicated, conflicted people -- the best example is constantly mumbling about how good or evil Jaina Proudmoore is, up to the point of asking Dumbfrasiabi himself, and even THAT GUY has a better grasp of how people are.

Yeah, this is a good time for a cultural breakthrough, a rediscovering of arcane magic and questioning of mores. but it won't happen.

Why?

Because they're a living 10 thousand year old civilization, with better memory than humans. Better enough to carry on fears for ten thousand years.

So no, I don't believe they will overcome said fears and mores because it's past the point said fears and mores become irrational fears and they now must face the senseless human behavior of being attached to stupid mores just because it's the way it's always been and they're comfortable with that.

Tags
critical thinking