Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with Garrosh's fate?
I love it! 9 13.85%
I'm ok with it. 20 30.77%
I'm indifferent towards it. 16 24.62%
I dislike it, but I can tolerate it. 7 10.77%
I hate it! 13 20.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2014, 11:27 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:29 AM

Eternal

The opening of that post is a giant fucking whine about 'wwaahhh, alliance didn't get to have justice against Garrosh, waaaaaah!" That speaks for itself.

And the official wow forum is utter garbage, worse then mmo champs.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:32 AM

Ranger

You are so incredibly intelligent. You discover things Thousands of people have seen before you... like Columbus.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:46 AM

Guru of Gilneas

So what are the further implications then of Thrall's mak'gora with Garrosh? Basically every time we have seen a mak'gora, whether to the death or submission, it has been a contest for leadership. Shouldn't this make Thrall the warchief or warlord of the AU Warsong Clan?
Old 07-27-2014, 11:48 AM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
So what are the further implications then of Thrall's mak'gora with Garrosh? Basically every time we have seen a mak'gora, whether to the death or submission, it has been a contest for leadership. Shouldn't this make Thrall the warchief or warlord of the AU Warsong Clan?
Assumptions. So many assumptions. You know what? Why don't you take your phone and ask Metzen himself??
Old 07-27-2014, 11:50 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Was thinking that, but it seems like it doesn't always extend to just a battle for leadership. Apparently there was a mak'gora between bloodsworn characters Ashra Valandril and Shagara, more out of honor then leadership.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:51 AM

Warden

Quote:
That would be the logical end of a Mak'gora. Now we have to wait if Blizzard remembers what a Mak'gora is or if they retcon it to be a simple duel of honor.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:55 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
That would be the logical end of a Mak'gora. Now we have to wait if Blizzard remembers what a Mak'gora is or if they retcon it to be a simple duel of honor.
yeah i'm not holding up much in that regard.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:56 AM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
Just. Take. Your phone. Call Metzen. Shout "Mak'Gora!"
Old 07-27-2014, 11:56 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticCrow View Post
Assumptions. So many assumptions. You know what? Why don't you take your phone and ask Metzen himself??
I'm not assuming anything here. An assumption would have been me saying "Since Thrall beat Garrosh in a mak'gora, he is now warchief of the AU Warsong" instead of me asking whether or not he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauren Paly View Post
Was thinking that, but it seems like it doesn't always extend to just a battle for leadership. Apparently there was a mak'gora between bloodsworn characters Ashra Valandril and Shagara, more out of honor then leadership.
Ashra was contesting for leadership of the group.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:59 AM

Ranger

Quote:
I'm not assuming anything here. An assumption would have been me saying "Since Thrall beat Garrosh in a mak'gora, he is now warchief of the AU Warsong" instead of me asking whether or not he is.

Only time will tell. Do we even know details?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:00 PM

Eternal

Quote:

oh right, didn't know that.

then either Thrall has become leader of the warsong.. or blizzard just don't care about the details anymore.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:09 PM

Ranger

Quote:
oh right, didn't know that.

then either Thrall has become leader of the warsong.. or blizzard just don't care about the details anymore.
There are so many things in this post that don't surprise me.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:27 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Per Metzen WoW is the story of Thrall. To ask or desire he not be involved in the story isn't going to happen. On the other hand he doesn't need to be the John Cena of WoW either.
Oh my God the accuracy of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:33 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Oh my God the accuracy of this.

I knew it! They called me insane...
Old 07-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticCrow View Post
There are so many things in this post that don't surprise me.
What exactly have I stated that isn't a matter of fact?

Either they will acknowledge that Thrall beating Garrosh in a mak'gora entitles him to leader of AU's warsong clan, or blizzard are just going to ignore the fact thats what a mak'gora leads to and sail on past it.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:36 PM

Ranger

Quote:
What exactly have I stated that isn't a matter of fact?

Either they will acknowledge that Thrall beating Garrosh in a mak'gora entitles him to leader of AU's warsong clan, or blizzard are just going to ignore the fact thats what a mak'gora leads to and sail on past it.
Yes.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:30 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

I am a touch concerned that Vol'jin being absent from the entire proceedings undermines his arc from Wrath of the Lich King through Mists of Pandaria, but I really can't fault Blizz for having Thrall responsible for offing Garrosh.

I really would like to see Vol'jin involved in some important capacity in WoD, mind you. Horde-side, obviously, I can't imagine Alliance players would be any too thrilled having to even look at the guy for an expansion or so. But at least have him show up and do some Warchief-ing after he's finally become Warchief.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:58 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Is Garrosh the warchief of the AU Warsong clan? I thought it was Grom, with Garrosh acting somewhat like Gul'dan/Ner'zhul in terms of unifying the clans into the Horde.

If Garrosh is the warchief of the AU Warsong Clan, then I think its legitimacy would depend on whether or not there actually was anyone from the Warsong clan to witness it. Otherwise, the rest of them could just dismiss him as a guy who probably just shanked Garrosh in the middle of taking a dump.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
I am a touch concerned that Vol'jin being absent from the entire proceedings undermines his arc from Wrath of the Lich King through Mists of Pandaria, but I really can't fault Blizz for having Thrall responsible for offing Garrosh.

I really would like to see Vol'jin involved in some important capacity in WoD, mind you. Horde-side, obviously, I can't imagine Alliance players would be any too thrilled having to even look at the guy for an expansion or so. But at least have him show up and do some Warchief-ing after he's finally become Warchief.
Vol'jin will return to lay claim to the charred, water-logged sunken remains of the Zandalari Isle. From there, officially, Troll civilization will have hit rock bottom, and the future will be optimistic because things will not be able to get worse.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:29 PM

Arch-Druid

Wasn't the mak'gora used by Malkorok basically any time Baine started to get into it with Garrosh in ToW? It seems like while it can be a contest to determine who should be the leader of a clan, it could also be used as a duel to settle honor between two warriors who are part of the same clan, or even just as a way to prove who is the better between two warriors of separate clans.

And until we see the cinematic, I don't know if we should be bitching about Garrosh being crushed in a stone fist.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:04 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakitori View Post
Wasn't the mak'gora used by Malkorok basically any time Baine started to get into it with Garrosh in ToW? It seems like while it can be a contest to determine who should be the leader of a clan, it could also be used as a duel to settle honor between two warriors who are part of the same clan, or even just as a way to prove who is the better between two warriors of separate clans.
I can't recall if Malkorok specifically called it a Mak'gora but yes, the context you speak of is accurate, he had several run-ins with Baine in ToW that nearly turned into combat/duels. If I remember right, Baine even thought to himself (and I'm obviously paraphrasing here but you get the point) "I could kill this prick, but it would just result in more internal-conflict that the Horde doesn't need right now."

So I think it's fair to say Mak'gora isn't a specific challenge for leadership of a clan/the Horde, it can be used in any context to settle a matter by combat.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:24 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
I can't recall if Malkorok specifically called it a Mak'gora but yes, the context you speak of is accurate, he had several run-ins with Baine in ToW that nearly turned into combat/duels. If I remember right, Baine even thought to himself (and I'm obviously paraphrasing here but you get the point) "I could kill this prick, but it would just result in more internal-conflict that the Horde doesn't need right now."

So I think it's fair to say Mak'gora isn't a specific challenge for leadership of a clan/the Horde, it can be used in any context to settle a matter by combat.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's like if a warrior from the Warsong and the Burning Blade have an issue (in the "I'mma kill ya, bitch!" sense) with each other, but their clans are on good terms with each other, so they're not skirmishing over food. If they want to settle things, one can simply request Mak'gora and have it be a reasonably honorable duel. While one tribe will end up weakened, it's better than a knife in the gut setting off a feud between the two clans.

Of course, in the Baine/Malkorok case, I remember he was also aware that even if he did kill Malkorok, another Blackrock (or Kor'kron) would just challenge him until either he was dead, or they all were.

Also, welcome back.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:46 AM

Here's how it really is; it's just an excuse to get rid of people you don't like without paying any consequences for it.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:54 AM

Glaive Thrower

I don't get the point in this. Thrall didn't "need" the win. There are characters who hated Garrosh just as much - if not more - who definitely could have used a scalp. What about Jaina? Oh, "she isn't there". Well put her there, lol, the expansion isn't out yet! Or how about creating a new hero? How about some random Orc or Draenei soldier just picks up a weapon and finishes the former Warchief?

This setting is shrinking with every expansion. The cast of characters who get speaking roles is getting smaller and smaller. The characters who get storylines even more so. Moreover, there now appears to be only one character who can actually effect the world materially. Thrall has;

1) Freed the Orcish race from imprisonment,
2) Freed the Orcish race from daemonic influence (despite telling Grom that 'he did it'),
3) In the space of 5 years he created a faction out of nobodies that could rival the world's only Great Power.
4) Led said faction to victory against the Qiraji and the Scourge (drop kicking a Necropolis en route - exagerration maybe ).
5) Became the only plate armour wearing - and most powerful - shaman in existence,
6) Had a settlement named after him,
7) Became the only Warcraft character to have had an on-screen relationship,
8) Will get the credit for killing two expansion end-bosses,
9) Is the lead writer's expressly favourite character.

I am probably missing out loads, too. Does ANY Warcraft character come CLOSE to receiving that much attention? That many wins? I genuinely don't understand why they continually tell us that Thrall is the only character that gets shit done. It's so boring! We can already see Metzen's intention to make Thrall's children the next big heroes of Warcraft, too.

I honestly feel that this is damaging to the setting. I don't hate Thrall as a character. It would be easy to say that this is an anti-Thrall rant - but it isn't. It's a rant against how zoomed in they're being with the stories they tell. Instead of taking opportunities to get other characters "over" (to use wrestling language), they just heap more and more onto this one character who isn't even THAT popular. He's the John Cena of Warcraft.

The ironic thing for me is that I felt Thrall didn't get enough screen time in vanilla and TBC. This has only become a problem since Cataclysm. They've forgotten that a key component of Warcraft as a setting is that people 'level up'. Taylor and Nazgrim were like this to an extent, but we need more of it.

- Last words spoken to Sir Aexander Trabb, Knight of Stormwind.

Last edited by Brother Shifte; 07-28-2014 at 03:59 AM..

Tags
dead horse particles, factions are dumb, shitty writing