Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How many languages do you speak?
0 3 12.00%
1 4 16.00%
2 10 40.00%
3 8 32.00%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9+ 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2016, 02:55 PM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
Here's a question: How many people voting for multiple languages have English as their first language and not one they learned later?
Anansi specifically asked "How many languages do you speak?". I would assume your native language is among one of the languages you speak. Wouldn't you?
Old 03-06-2016, 03:00 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
Anansi specifically asked "How many languages do you speak?". I would assume your native language is among one of the languages you speak. Wouldn't you?
Yes, druid's question is: "how many of those who are multilingual are native English speakers?"
Old 03-06-2016, 03:03 PM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Yes, druid's question is: "how many of those who are multilingual are native English speakers?"
I'm not sober. I am sorry. I'll relocate to the corner asap.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:04 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Default @Ratatosk

Anyway, Spanish and German are my native languages.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:36 PM

Elune

Three, though not well.

English is my native language, but I have learned Spanish and French. I'm not terrific at either of those two but I can generally manage. I can be a bit slow though as I tend to translate by way of latin (figuring out latin roots of words).
Old 03-06-2016, 04:00 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Sagara#2842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
Three, though not well.

English is my native language, but I have learned Spanish and French. I'm not terrific at either of those two but I can generally manage. I can be a bit slow though as I tend to translate by way of latin (figuring out latin roots of words).
Impressive on two counts. It's not often you meet a native English speaker that learns much beyond English. Further, going through Latin to get to the translation, implying you technically also know Latin is NOTHING to sneeze at.

On my account, French is my first language, with Dutch and English being more or less mastered.

Enigma will take you where Dogma cannot.
We do not create the path to Ascension, we explore it.**

**That message hasn't.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:28 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagara View Post
Impressive on two counts. It's not often you meet a native English speaker that learns much beyond English. Further, going through Latin to get to the translation, implying you technically also know Latin is NOTHING to sneeze at.

On my account, French is my first language, with Dutch and English being more or less mastered.
Heh, thanks. I've never thought much of it to be honest, but you're right.

I learned french for a few reasons. For one, as a little kid, my mother (who grew up in Switzerland speaking french and is fluent) and father (who just had a knack for learning languages) would speak french when at, like, the dinner table if they had to discuss something they didn't want us kids to know. So part of it was spite, heh. "I want to know!" sort of thing. Of course it was probably pretty banal stuff. But its proven useful.

I actually took Latin as my first language course in both middle and high school. It proved a good foundation for everything. And I've studied it off and on ever since, its just interesting to delve into.

I took spanish in college because my then girlfriend was latino and I wanted to show that I was serious and better connect with her family in general. Though we've since separated, its also proven quite useful. Both languages were a godsend when I worked at an international airport, since translators often slipped away and left us high and dry. And of course it was always at the worst times.

Thankfully, english, french, and spanish would cover a good range of travelers. And it looks good on a resume

All this language stuff also made me appreciate just how hard it is to be able to speak or read a language, let alone become fluent in it.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:29 PM

Eternal

English and Japanese.

English should really be the worlds language though.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:07 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Sagara#2842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
English and Japanese.

Any language should be world language, at least on econo-political grounds. It's just that English nations have been pretty dominant the last few centuries.

On the other hand, it already IS, as far as practical communication is concerned - outside of intra-national conversations, english is pretty much the go-to language, and anyone NOT speaking English is for all purposes left out of the international scene.

Making English the ONLY language, though is probably pretty doomed from the get-go, considering the importance manking still places upon its roots and origins, and just as doomed on the long term, as the most likely result is Babel Tower 2.0, only with cliques and social units replacing the curse of God.

Enigma will take you where Dogma cannot.
We do not create the path to Ascension, we explore it.**

**That message hasn't.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:46 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

I speak no language comprehensible to mortals. Bo'al lal arwi C'toth. Pwhn'guul i ghawl'fwata ryiu wgah uul'gwan h'iwn guu'lal. Thoth'al amun Ree'thael vormos! Vormos! Vormos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:51 AM

Elune

Yeah being a science geek does help learning languages since you pick up lots of Latin and Greek (though that is less important for languages) and this helps learn western European languages. This (along with English) is the reason Spanish is so easy for me (plus I think there is some link in grammar between Serbian and Spanish, something must exist to explain the simplicity). And I know a bunch of words in other WE languages (but Nordic languages are a no go for me).

Of course I can understand a bit of all Slavic languages. Often in games I befriend someone I'm sure is from my country only to find out they're Russian or Czech, etc (we have both a Cyrillic and a Latin script so both work) and we have the exact same word or name and written the same.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:05 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, DTube, FruitLab, or Brighteon.

Tags
communications, language, realspace, survey