Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 07-31-2010, 04:43 AM

Arch-Druid

Default Time between beta and release

The release speculation is getting a little on my nerves, basicly people desperatly grasping blue posts like straws.

So let's take a look back how long the last two betas have lasted.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Beta

The Burning Crusade:

Beta Start: 12. Oktober 2006
Release Date: 16. January 2007

Total Time: 96 days

Wrath of the Lich King:

Beta Start: 17. July 2008
Release Date: 13. November 2008

Total Time: 119 days

While Cataclysm indeed made much work than LK, some people are making Blizzard stupider than they are. They wouldn't have opened the beta if they wern't on schedule.

The Cataclysm Beta opening was on 30. June 2010.

The LK Beta was 23 days longer than the BC. Even if we asume that the Cata beta will be another 23 days longer (only numbers.^^) that would be 142 days. If we calculate that, the result is 20. November 2010.

While this is only speculation, I think it is indeed a realistic time frame plus minus some days. Cata Beta looks very deep in progression and imo the players are only getting a bit unpatient because LK is out of juice. (as I said in the other thread, I think people interpreting to much into that Bornaak comment.)

Last edited by Vineyard; 11-07-2011 at 05:13 AM..
Old 07-31-2010, 04:50 AM

Eternal

I say end of October or begining of November. Uldum will probably open soon and after that its only Twilight Highlands left for the Cata zones.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:03 AM

Arch-Druid

Yeah, but we don't have to forget they also have to test the new release raiding zones.

However, here we also can speculate a bit.

Ulduar had 14 bosses (Algalon included) and testing lasted about 60 days.
The 3 release raids have a total of 13 (Sinestra included).

So, Raid testing will most likely begin late August/Early September.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:15 AM

Arch-Druid

I really hope it won't launch right in the middle of my exams, else I'll have to do one hell of a good job in June to make up for it..
Old 07-31-2010, 07:59 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Yeah, but we don't have to forget they also have to test the new release raiding zones.

However, here we also can speculate a bit.

Ulduar had 14 bosses (Algalon included) and testing lasted about 60 days.
The 3 release raids have a total of 13 (Sinestra included).

So, Raid testing will most likely begin late August/Early September.
They don't need to test every single entry raid for that long. It would actually be better to look at how testing occurred with T7 considering that actually was what was tested during the Beta.

Last edited by Leviathon; 07-31-2010 at 08:01 AM..
Old 07-31-2010, 09:52 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
They don't need to test every single entry raid for that long. It would actually be better to look at how testing occurred with T7 considering that actually was what was tested during the Beta.
Yeah, I checked it now. Naxx 2.0 testing began early September 2008, two months before release.

Last edited by Vineyard; 07-31-2010 at 09:56 AM..
Old 07-31-2010, 03:02 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Just in time for Black Friday.

Blizzactivision is a lot of things, stupid ain't one of them.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:15 PM

Chimaera

Keep in mind that Lich King was also testing a brand new class where as Cataclysm is not. Implementing a new class is a much bigger endeavor playtesting wise than two new races.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:33 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
I say end of October or begining of November. Uldum will probably open soon and after that its only Twilight Highlands left for the Cata zones.
There's still a lot of work that needs to be done. There's a bug where your mount suddenly decides not to hang out with you while you're flying. Not pretty. There's a bug where you can't log out while flying, because when you log back in, you dismount and fall. There are issues with mobs, quests, terrain...and this is the redone Old World areas. I honestly think the older zones have more work to be done than the newer ones.

And then there's the fact that they still have to build and test the raids that it will release with. That will take at least a month to do and get right. This beta is a much larger undertaking than I realized it was, and I think a lot of people are seeing that. I was hopeful for a November release, but I could see this thing getting bumped back to December or even January.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:04 PM

Sentinel Queen

I'm sure they're gearing up for a release right before Black Friday, as they've (tried) to do with each installment. But I have a feeling it may wind up getting pushed back ala TBC.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:18 PM

Arch-Druid

We will see.

As said , we don't have to get too worried. It's only August and there is still a lot of time.

@BC: Don't forget that the beta there started quite late.

I know there is still a lot of work, but my date speculation was quite conservative for a reason. I know that this expansion still needs a lot of work, but they have also done a lot, specially in the last couple of weeks.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:22 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
There's still a lot of work that needs to be done. There's a bug where your mount suddenly decides not to hang out with you while you're flying. Not pretty. There's a bug where you can't log out while flying, because when you log back in, you dismount and fall. There are issues with mobs, quests, terrain...and this is the redone Old World areas. I honestly think the older zones have more work to be done than the newer ones.

And then there's the fact that they still have to build and test the raids that it will release with. That will take at least a month to do and get right. This beta is a much larger undertaking than I realized it was, and I think a lot of people are seeing that. I was hopeful for a November release, but I could see this thing getting bumped back to December or even January.
A lot of the bugs are just easy fixes for them but just are not at the top of the priority list compared to just getting the general outline in right now. For example Badlands, Searing Gorge, Burning Steppes, Swamp of Sorrows, Hillsbrad/Allterac, Felwood, Winterspring, Thousand Needles and Silithus still are not ready for testing.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
A lot of the bugs are just easy fixes for them but just are not at the top of the priority list compared to just getting the general outline in right now. For example Badlands, Searing Gorge, Burning Steppes, Swamp of Sorrows, Hillsbrad/Allterac, Felwood, Winterspring, Thousand Needles and Silithus still are not ready for testing.
True. My character I'm leveling up through the old world is only level 9, so I haven't seen too much. But it's pretty obvious that this is a much larger project than I had first thought.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:48 PM

Arch-Druid

Of course it is.

As Metzen said during the Blizzcon 08...

http://www.wow.com/2008/10/11/wow-qa-panel/
Quote:
2:19PM Q: We're taking over Northrend, what's next?

2:20PM A: Southrend. Something Else. Starcraft 2.

Metzen: Not what you expect, in a very good way. It's not always about continent. Boldness is next. Unbelievable Boldness is next
And he hasn't exaggerated.

Quote:
And the world will never be the same....
Old 08-01-2010, 06:47 AM

Eternal

And nobody ever suspected Cataclysm since it just soooooo different from the other two expansions and it remakes all of WoW.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:56 AM

Sentinel Queen

I'm certain there was an interview or something just after WotLK release (or maybe before it) where some one asked a developer what continent was next and they said they didn't like the idea of a new continent and would rather develop what continents they already had. I'm surprised this upcoming expansion was a much of a surprise as it was.

I remember speculating with my guild-mates that the next explanation would be set five years in the future where the Burning Legion come to Azeroth and mess everything up.

But everyone acts like I'm crazy and made that interview up.

WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW INTERNET!?

As gentle as 10 rock hard inches of lore can be.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:16 AM

Arch-Druid

Bump.

Almost two months later.

At lot has happened in the beta meanwhile. However, there is still no release date, which makes me a bit worried. Lich King Release date was announced 15 September 2008, two months before release. I just checked and BC and SC II Release Date was also annouced about 2 months before release.

This makes MMO Champion's claim of November 2th rather unlikely. Amazon Mails (Bad source, I know) claim it will be released between 16th -20th November.

While the world revamp looks like it's almost finshed, at lot of things still need to be polished. Also Heroic Dungeon and Raid testing still hasn't started.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

November 20 is a great date, and also, I think you USA people have some special festivity around that date, nope?

Raid testing should start asap. Dunno what Blizzard is waiting for, maybe they are testing them internally?

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 AM

Arch-Druid

20th November was also my personal guess, however I didn't see that is a Saturday. So, 18th or 25th November is my personal prediction now.

Quote:
Raid testing should start asap. Dunno what Blizzard is waiting for, maybe they are testing them internally?
Maybe, but a least some sort of public testing should be done.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 AM

Hippogryph Rider

This is just my guess but maybe they will cut one or two raids from the release and have them ready a couple weeks down the line in order to make their release date. But looking at what i have seen from all of the damn lucky beta people have said on here about the new content is that making their mark wont be to much of a problem for them.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:39 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeifrey View Post
This is just my guess but maybe they will cut one or two raids from the release and have them ready a couple weeks down the line in order to make their release date. But looking at what i have seen from all of the damn lucky beta people have said on here about the new content is that making their mark wont be to much of a problem for them.
They aren't going to cut any raids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Bump.

Almost two months later.

At lot has happened in the beta meanwhile. However, there is still no release date, which makes me a bit worried. Lich King Release date was announced 15 September 2008, two months before release. I just checked and BC and SC II Release Date was also annouced about 2 months before release.

This makes MMO Champion's claim of November 2th rather unlikely. Amazon Mails (Bad source, I know) claim it will be released between 16th -20th November.

While the world revamp looks like it's almost finshed, at lot of things still need to be polished. Also Heroic Dungeon and Raid testing still hasn't started.
Heroic and raid testing will only be about a month like the last 2 expansions. They internally handle a lot of that stuff and are more concerned with the actual content getting done and class balance. We will probably see 4.0.1 in the next 2 weeks with 4.0.3 following a few weeks after that and a release of the expansion in the first few weeks.

Last edited by Leviathon; 09-21-2010 at 11:42 AM..
Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Come on. You honestly don't think they're going to announce the game's release date at Blizzcon? Mid-late november is a very good bet for the game's release, IMO.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Come on. You honestly don't think they're going to announce the game's release date at Blizzcon? Mid-late november is a very good bet for the game's release, IMO.

Yep. Blizzcon will open with the cinematic trailer, and the announcement of the release date.

Then there will be a bunch of panels and shit about Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, and all sorts of other crap we don't care about.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:21 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Yep. Blizzcon will open with the cinematic trailer, and the announcement of the release date.

Then there will be a bunch of panels and shit about Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, and all sorts of other crap we don't care about.
They probably would talk about the first content patch.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:27 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
They probably would talk about the first content patch.

Tags
blizzard, expac, next expanshon