Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-13-2012, 07:06 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I believe it said in Rise of the Horde that the pre-Horde orcs hunted ogres, so my guess is that Draenor's ettins were either hunted to near-extinction or that most of their mountain range homes were destroyed when the planet exploded. Then a few survivors either made their way through the Dark Portal or they were enslaved by the Old Horde as beasts of war.
That is a possibility, but ettins having evolved on Azeroth, to fill in the void left by Gronns, is what I'd like to be true.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:14 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
There's also Tides of War and how it handled the war.

"Horde destroyes Northwatch and violates Alliance Waters"

"Don't attack the Horde, we don't want to be the aggressors!"
In my headcanon, Varian didn't order Jaina to send troops, nor did he ask for permission.

He got a set of the latest new brainy novel series and gave them to Jaina as a present. She then holed up in her room for the next week while Varian moved his troops through without noticing.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:09 PM

Revenant - Moderator

My entry is Morgan and Morgan's Militia. Read my rant note:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Morgan%27s_Militia

And she implies that she was there when the area was incinerated, a few hundred years ago.

Quote:
[*]Kael'thas needed both the Sunwell and Outland's mana-forges to summon Kil'Jaeden to Azeroth, so how was Varimathras able to open a portal to Sargeras in the Undercity?
We have no idea what he was summoning, just a datamined name related to the voice files.

Quote:
[*]If Archbishop Benedictus was supposed to be the Twilight Father, then who was the Twilight Prophet or were they both one and the same?
They are the same.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:The_Twilight_Prophet

Quote:
[*]Why do people treat Garrosh like he is a reckless youth when he is actually older than Thrall?
He is written that way.

Quote:
Because most of the undead are base, mindless beings and they would have nobody directing them without a Lich King.
But why do we care? That is the problem.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 10-13-2012 at 09:21 PM..
Old 10-13-2012, 11:50 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
If Zandalar was able to shield itself from the Sundering, why wasn't it able to withstand the Shattering?
No prep time?

Quote:
If Old Gods can't really die, then how was Y'Shaarj killed?
Perhaps the unkillability of the Old Gods was mere exaggeration designed to inspire followers/

Quote:
If Archbishop Benedictus was supposed to be the Twilight Father, then who was the Twilight Prophet or were they both one and the same?
They seem to be the same.
Quote:
How is Emperor Dagran Thaurissan still alive after the Cataclysm when the reason that Moira Bronzebeard left Blackrock Mountain was because her husband was killed?
He isn't still alive, the instance doesn't place in modern day, I presume.

Quote:
How did Thrall have Gorehowl when it was supposed to be in Karazhan?
I don't think it was ever actually supposed to be in Karazhan. That would have been more of an inconsistency. Gorehowl being in Karazhan was the mistake, Thrall having it all along with the fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 10-13-2012, 11:55 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
He isn't still alive, the instance doesn't place in modern day, I presume.
Then how the fuck are the new NPCs in there?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:03 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Map

And its not just the Morgan's Militia stuff, in Un'Goro Crater you have that Dark Iron excavator who has a letter in his possession addressed to Thaurissan:

Quote:
Emperor Thaurissan,

Below is my account of my most recent finding here in Un'Goro Crater. After the Cataclysm hit, I stopped my current project and began sweeping the Crater for new potential dig sites. Curiously, the Crater wasn't hard hit by the Cataclysm, but I did find what appeared to be a monstrous mandible peeking out of the ground in Terror Run!

It appears to be an ancestor of the dinosaurs that live here. I've spent the last several weeks digging it out, and it has been my most exciting dig yet. By my calculations, this beast must be nearly 300 feet long, from tip to tail. That's longer than some of the largest dragons, and FAR larger than any dino that currently exists here in the Crater.

The going has been slow, mainly because I've needed to cover up my work behind me. That blasted goblin, Nilminer, still has cronies digging in the area, and I mustn't risk any news of this discovery leaking before I send my final results back to Blackrock Mountain. This may be the key piece of information that tells us what the Titans were doing in Un'Goro!

Regards,

Durrin Direshovel
Old 10-14-2012, 12:09 AM

World Builder

Runes

Huh, maybe that stuff will be addressed in the Dawn of the Aspects thing.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:10 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
And its not just the Morgan's Militia stuff, in Un'Goro Crater you have that Dark Iron excavator who has a letter in his possession addressed to Thaurissan:
He might not know Thaurissan is dead if he's been holed up in Ungoro for the past few years.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 10-14-2012, 12:12 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
He might not know Thaurissan is dead if he's been holed up in Ungoro for the past few years.
But he talked about his most recent finding, so he has to have been keeping in contact with Emperor Thaurissan for a while now.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:14 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
But he talked about his most recent finding, so he has to have been keeping in contact with Emperor Thaurissan for a while now.
That or he's been sending lreports, and never gets any answer back.

I can't imagine some excavator in the middle of Ungoro gets much of Thaurissan's attention.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 10-14-2012, 12:19 AM

Druid of the Claw

At the risk of igniting a Forsaken debate...

The most significant story inconsistency right now is the insistence in Tirisfal Glades that newly raised Forsaken have free will, contrasted with the Silverpine quests that frequently feature newly raised Forsaken inexplicably allying with their murderers and betraying their old friends.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:36 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
How is Emperor Dagran Thaurissan still alive after the Cataclysm when the reason that Moira Bronzebeard left Blackrock Mountain was because her husband was killed?
They Just Didn't Care

Quote:
Why do people treat Garrosh like he is a reckless youth when he is actually older than Thrall?
This is something I will never, EVER understand.

The best explanation I could think of is that Thrall was much more hardened by his life than the relatively lucky guy Garrosh. This is also related to why Thrall looks older than Garrosh.

Did you know, for example, that Vladimir Putin is 60 years old?
Old 10-14-2012, 04:58 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Has anyone ever considered the possibility that perhaps Dagran Thaurissan isn't dead, and that Moira is simply lying?

It could or could not be a plotstory they designed but then never finished; the Cataclysm in its entirety was not only rushed in its inception, but also in its completion. A lot of things have obviously been scrapped.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:25 AM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
Has anyone ever considered the possibility that perhaps Dagran Thaurissan isn't dead, and that Moira is simply lying?

It could or could not be a plotstory they designed but then never finished; the Cataclysm in its entirety was not only rushed in its inception, but also in its completion. A lot of things have obviously been scrapped.
That would be the worst kind of swerve, so I hope not. It's one thing to tell us we didn't actually kill Whitemane (f.ex.), it's another to tell us; "SURPRIIIIIISE! He's not actually dead! We tricked you into thinking he was, but we ret conned it! Don't you feel silly?!".

- Last words spoken to Sir Aexander Trabb, Knight of Stormwind.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:45 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I like to think that the post-Cata Dagran is an impostor who works for the Twilights Hammer.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:46 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Shifte View Post
That would be the worst kind of swerve, so I hope not. It's one thing to tell us we didn't actually kill Whitemane (f.ex.), it's another to tell us; "SURPRIIIIIISE! He's not actually dead! We tricked you into thinking he was, but we ret conned it! Don't you feel silly?!".
"That thing we told you that you did? You didn't." That was half the old-world revamps in Cataclysm. Sadly, the OTHER half was "That thing we told you that you did? You did, and here's a reference to it."
Old 10-14-2012, 05:52 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idolatry View Post
At the risk of igniting a Forsaken debate...

The most significant story inconsistency right now is the insistence in Tirisfal Glades that newly raised Forsaken have free will, contrasted with the Silverpine quests that frequently feature newly raised Forsaken inexplicably allying with their murderers and betraying their old friends.
Read AskCdev 3.
'Q: Why do some Alliance soldiers raised by the Forsaken immediately become loyal to the Forsaken while others do not? Are they being mind controlled? If so, by whom: Sylvanas or the Valíkyr? How does this relate to the fact that the Forsaken cultural identity is based on their free will and rebellion against the Lich King?
A: Free will is one of the cornerstones of Forsaken culture, with the great capacity for both good and evil that it entails. However, some undead, especially those who die in combat or under extreme stress and are raised soon after, enter into a violent, frenzied state. Undead in this state are easily manipulated and their rage is often directed at the foes of those who raised them. After the effects wear off, if the risen corpse has not been destroyed, they are given the same ultimatum that other Forsaken are offered: join the Dark Lady or return to the grave
'.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5208785474
Old 10-14-2012, 06:15 AM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
"That thing we told you that you did? You didn't." That was half the old-world revamps in Cataclysm. Sadly, the OTHER half was "That thing we told you that you did? You did, and here's a reference to it."
Aye, I referenced that in my post with the Whitemane example. The difference here is that with Thaurissan it'd presumably be a big 'twist', except the twist would be out of character as they'd have pretended the quest was canon OOC.

- Last words spoken to Sir Aexander Trabb, Knight of Stormwind.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

So which of these can be salvaged into Cdev questions?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:58 AM

Echo of the Past

Grackle Edition

* Did the Horde take Blackrock Spire before/during the First War, or afterward? Was Blackhand in power when it happened, or was Doomhammer?

* Because of Blackrock Spire, were the Dark Iron Dwarves at war with the Horde before or during the Second War?

* In The Last Guardian, we see dwarven Gryphon Riders working with Medivh and Khadgar. Did the Bronzebeard or Wildhammer Dwarves know about the orcs, before the orcs invaded them in the Second War? If not, then why did the Gryphon Riders in the First War not send word back?

* Did Varok Saurfang serve at Doomhammer's side during the Second War, or not?

* Did the Troll Destroyer and Ogre Juggernaught ship types ever exist, or something similar to them? Did the Old Horde have any ships other than transports?

* Speaking of Troll Destroyers... are Forest Trolls able to travel across water at all? If not, then do they have difficulty functioning since they live near a major lake and river?

* Did the orcs have catapults during the Second War (such as the one we see in the Khaz Modan museum), or did they rely on battering rams and simple charges?

* During the Second War, was there a town called "Hillsbrad"? If so, was it the same as the one in WoW, or was it along the coast? If they were different, then what happened to the town along the coast?

* When did the Battle of Tol Barad happen, and which forces were involved?

* When the Horde conquered most of Khaz Modan, did this include Gnomeregan? When did the Gnomes make contact with the Alliance?

* When did the Goblin Steamweedle Cartel make contact with the Horde?

* Multiple times, Tides of Darkness describes the Horde as having tens of thousands of soldiers. In crossing the Great Sea immediately before the Battle of Hillsbrad, they are stated to have lost thousands of these orcs to sunken ships. A literal decimation, before even landing on the continent. Is this accurate?

* We know now that the orcs took runestones from the borders of Quel'thalas, not from Caer Darrow. Was there still a Runestone at Caer Darrow? If so, then what happened to it (since the orcs didn't seem to make it there).

* Both Tides of Darkness and Beyond the Dark Portal emphasize that Perenolde was the only one in Alterac actively conspiring with the Horde, and that their only contribution was to let the orcs pass through their mountains. However, Tides of Darkness also shows Alterac sailors among the Horde fleet, helping them navigate the Great Sea. Was this the only example of Alterac soldiers actively aiding the Horde?

* What happened to Alterac after Perenolde conspired with Teron Gorefiend and Deathwing to remove Lordaeron occupation forces? Is this when Alterac was destroyed, since we saw a destroyed Alterac on the maps of Warcraft III?

* Is Aiden Perenolde still alive? Did he have any role in the formation of the Syndicate?

* "The Alliance of Lordaeron" states:
Quote:
The greater cities and townships of Lordaeron were razed and devastated by the conflict.
Do we have any examples of "greater cities" that were razed or devastated at this time?

* If the Eye of Dalaran was not used to repair a destroyed Violet Citadel, then what was it created for?

* At what point did King Terenas officially become leader of the Alliance? How was this decided among the Alliance kings?

* Did Mogor the Ogre have any involvement with the Laughing Skull Clan during the Draenor Invasion?

* Did Dentarg have two heads, or one head? If he had one head, does this mean that some ogre-magi can have one head (and some standard ogres can have two heads)? And if he had one head, will we ever see an image of what he looks like in modern lore?

* How and when was Stromgarde destroyed? When did Stromgarde reenter the Alliance? Was there any political difficulty, as with Gilneas?

* When did Aerie Peak leave the Alliance, and when did they reenter? Was there any political difficulty, as with Gilneas?

* What are the odds of Tides of Darkness ever being struck down as mostly noncanon?

EDIT: * We now know that there were not large amounts of demon-worshiping orcs during the Second War. If that is true, then when did the Blackrock orcs turn into cults of demon-worshipers, why is Uther familiar with their rhetoric, and how did they gain control of a Demon Gate? Were they ever in favor with the Burning Legion, or did that end with Medivh's and Blackhand's death?

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 10-14-2012 at 11:36 AM..
Old 10-14-2012, 11:43 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
If Old Gods can't really die, then how was Y'Shaarj killed?
Judging by all the Sha spawning all over the place i reckon he WASN'T. This is exactly what's meant by "unkillable". All the Sha seem to manifest rather then pre-exist, so the essence of Y'Shaarj is probably now part of Pandaria's very foundations. I believe this is inreversable and the reason why the Titans chose to imprison them if they could - it's safer.

Quote:
Why do people treat Garrosh like he is a reckless youth when he is actually older than Thrall?
He's the son of a great Horde Hero - he's gonna be his father's son, no matter how old he gets. Also: he BEHAVES like a reckless youth, and can't be THAT much older than Thrall, who himself is pretty young for a race with roughly human lifespan.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:47 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post

He's the son of a great Horde Hero - he's gonna be his father's son, no matter how old he gets. Also: he BEHAVES like a reckless youth, and can't be THAT much older than Thrall, who himself is pretty young for a race with roughly human lifespan.
He was a fully developed adult before Thrall was even born. He should have 18+ years on him, at least.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 PM

Arch-Druid

Can't remember if I've asked this before, but...

There are two different types of troll tribe naming structures: Untranslated words such as Gurubashi, Drakkari and Zandalari, versus names such as Darkspear, Shatterspear and Bloodscalp. How did the two divergent naming structures come to exist?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:07 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
Can't remember if I've asked this before, but...

There are two different types of troll tribe naming structures: Untranslated words such as Gurubashi, Drakkari and Zandalari, versus names such as Darkspear, Shatterspear and Bloodscalp. How did the two divergent naming structures come to exist?
Don't forget the Farraki! Those others are just splitoffs and not in Zandali language, I think.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:15 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleluke View Post
Don't forget the Farraki! Those others are just splitoffs and not in Zandali language, I think.
So does that mean that Sandfury is Common for Farakki?

Tags
critical thinking, lore