Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: Pick a faction for each prospective race.
Alliance Arrakkoa 29 46.77%
Horde Arrakkoa 19 30.65%
Alliance Ethereals 36 58.06%
Horde Ethereals 21 33.87%
Alliance Naga 19 30.65%
Horde Naga 32 51.61%
Alliance Drakonid 29 46.77%
Horde Drakonid 22 35.48%
Alliance Centaur 17 27.42%
Horde Centaur 14 22.58%
Alliance Furbolg 36 58.06%
Horde Furbolg 4 6.45%
Alliance Satyr 13 20.97%
Horde Satyr 27 43.55%
Alliance Ogres 9 14.52%
Horde Ogres 47 75.81%
Alliance Undead Nerubians 12 19.35%
Horde Undead Nerubians 29 46.77%
Alliance Vrykul 29 46.77%
Horde Vrykul 18 29.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2013, 10:56 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
This feels like the path to disappointment. Nothing about what was promised with the Worgen was delivered, and I don't think I'm being cynical if I say I don't expect that the vrykul would fare any better.

You argue that the worgen are just furry night elves, but I don't see how Vrykul wouldn't easily just end up being tall humans... with more dwarf tendencies, given all the scottish viking stuff.
Wow itself has proven to be one big path to disappointment.

They would at the very least look amazing towering over a battlefield in Alliance armour. Not that we really see any proper battlefields in this game.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:05 AM

Eternal

horde should get vrykul, since we already had sylvanas take the val'kyr, and it be fun playing a vrykul as he smashes a human guy in a battleground.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I think if Naga are ever added they would probably be as a neutral race or hero class, either that or they would have to come up with an equally-compelling race for the opposite faction as well.
I wouldn't count on another nuetral race. One of the Devs answered as a question about whether they were pleased with having the Pandas being nuetral and the answer was basically

"Yeah, that was a bad idea and we only did it because we didn't want either side to be angry that they didn't get pandas in their faction."

Quote:
This feels like the path to disappointment. Nothing about what was promised with the Worgen was delivered, and I don't think I'm being cynical if I say I don't expect that the vrykul would fare any better.

You argue that the worgen are just furry night elves, but I don't see how Vrykul wouldn't easily just end up being tall humans... with more dwarf tendencies, given all the scottish viking stuff.
True, if the vrykul or even the val'kyr were ever put into the Alliance they would have to be whitewashed in order to fit. Which means everything that everyone would want the vrykul to be in the Alliance would be compeltely rewritten and like you said, they would be tall humans with dwarven tendencies.

If you want bad ass, savage races then your only choice is the Horde. If the worgen had joined the Horde instead of the Alliance you would be seeing exactly what Blizzard promised delivered because the Horde is what it is and the whole savage/bad-ass" races fit much better there.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:44 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
I wouldn't count on another nuetral race. One of the Devs answered as a question about whether they were pleased with having the Pandas being nuetral and the answer was basically

"Yeah, that was a bad idea and we only did it because we didn't want either side to be angry that they didn't get pandas in their faction."
I wanted to source this because I know I just saw it: it was Chilton, being interviewed by WoWInsider last week. Which referenced Street responding to a question about it on Twitter, which I linked below.

WI: This expansion saw the introduction of one race for both factions -- Ghostcrawler mentioned on Twitter that he wasn't a fan of it overall. How do you feel it went? Will we see something like this again in the future?

Originally Posted by Tom Chilton:
I definitely wouldn't rule it out for the future, but we just felt like it was appropriate for this expansion. The number one most requested race for us to do -- by a long shot -- it was pandaren, from various different ways that we gather information. It wasn't even close, compared to any other race. It felt like it would have been really dicey to only offer it to one side or the other, it really felt in the spirit of what Pandaria was and what the pandaren are, that it made sense for it.

Now we knew going into it that it would have the challenges of the silhouette, not having that distinct "Oh I see that and I know that's Horde or that's Alliance." But I think it added something cool, and I don't know that -- even if I were to go back in time -- if we assumed that we were doing Mists of Pandaria, I don't know that I would really advocate that we split it up and not have the pandaren be on one side.

Bolded the most definitive parts of the argument for emphasis.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
SNIP
There ya go ^^

The one thing that I did really like about having a nuetral race was that it could, could, lead us down the road of having Horde races in the Alliance and vice versa. Like the whole Blood elves versus High elves thing.

If they got over the whole "silhouette" problem, then it would be a step in that direction.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:46 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
The only Alliance race you've played is the only one that begins the game as a human, and also has the specific power to change into human appearance at any point in the game later?
You start as a human, but 5 minutes later you dont see the human anymore. I never, even once tried to change back to human
Old 08-20-2013, 12:47 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

For me personally...

Arakkoa - Alliance
Ethereals - Alliance
Naga - Horde
Drakonid - Alliance
Centaur - Didn't vote here, but I think they could go either way. Maybe moreso Alliance if they have an aesthetic other than being similar to Huns.
Furbolg - Alliance
Satyr - Didn't vote this one either but I think Satyr would fit Alliance pretty well in some capacity though I think I'd rather see Sayaad.
Ogres - Horde
Nerubians - Horde
Vrykul - Alliance

The races I'd definitely like to see the most would be Drakonid, Furbolg, or Arakkoa. Yeah they're all animal races but still could be pretty badass potentially.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Elune

Neutral arakkoa, ethereals, and drakonid. Alliance furbolg. Horde ogres.

Honestly I can't see the other races ever being playable. Nerubians and Centaur have problems with their legs, and vrykul, satyrs, and naga hate everyone. Centaurs hate everyone too actually.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:34 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I just want a race that is like the night elves of old. Allies of nature that aren't just considered allies of convenience by the forces of nature.

Maybe a race that is more intrinsically linked to one of the Ancients.

(Of course, reversing some changes the night elves went through would also be great. )
Old 08-20-2013, 01:43 PM

Demon Hunter

I voted Ethereals and Drakonids for Alliance. Ogres and Nerubians for Horde. Really, other than the Ethereals and Ogres, I am not too keen of any of the other options, especially as a playable race (Of course, Furblogs are already a non-playable Alliance race via Azuremyst), but by that same token, it's not like I have any better alternatives either.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:54 PM

Drunk Assassin

The lack of High Elves displeases me.

Voted Ethereals for the Alliance though because HGNGNFNFFNGNNGNGNGN Etherealsaresocool.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

I am not saying i picked every option... but i did. All good choices to me.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:08 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
The lack of High Elves displeases me.

Voted Ethereals for the Alliance though because HGNGNFNFFNGNNGNGNGN Etherealsaresocool.
Well they're already Horde, so I don't see why you'd bother including them in the poll.

Incidentally, I also voted for Ethereals Alliance side. As awesome as they are and as much as I'd like to see them on the Horde, I believe that thematically (and to a certain extent, even aesthetically), the Ethereals could be a beautiful fit for the Alliance. Especially with the Protectorate sub-faction if they were to choose and explore them.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Well they're already Horde, so I don't see why you'd bother including them in the poll.
This so much!

Old 08-20-2013, 05:23 PM

Drunk Assassin

yes those alliance aligned high elves on the isle of thunder and elsewhere are totally blood elves how silly of me
Old 08-20-2013, 05:26 PM

Elune

Quote:
yes those alliance aligned high elves on the isle of thunder and elsewhere are totally blood elves how silly of me
Give up on them! The blood elves are the high elves. Do you know how much that would water down my race if they did that? Blizzard put the playable version on the Horde and it seems like something they had been planning for awhile.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
They kinda are :\

Just a political difference between them. Oh and fel drugs.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Give up on them! The blood elves are the high elves. Do you know how much that would water down my race if they did that? Blizzard put the playable version on the Horde and it seems like something they had been planning for awhile.
They didn't show much planning when they brought the blood elves into the Horde.

Beyond that, watering down of a Horde race would at least be fitting considering what Blizzard's done to the Alliance.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:05 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Those who want high elves, what would you give the Horde? A completely new race will obviously not sit well with those Alliance players who don't care for elves.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 PM

Arch-Druid

Everytime I see Nozdormu's modified night elf model, or Dalaran as capital, or Vereesa as leader, I see not reason beyond Blizzard's will to make High elves into a race.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 08-20-2013, 06:18 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Those who want high elves, what would you give the Horde? A completely new race will obviously not sit well with those Alliance players who don't care for elves.
This argument doesn't work, for a number of reasons:

1) There are no Alliance races that make sense on the Horde, whereas a distinct, identifiable, and historically significant faction in the Silver Covenant has every reason to be a playable race.

2) Players who didn't care about draenei, worgen, or pandaren got nothing anyway when those races were added. Regardless of what gets added to the faction, there are going to be players for whom it's not their bag. Blizzard having to design around the possibility that Alliance players might get mad that the Horde race is brand-new while the Alliance race is blue-eyed Blood Elves doesn't feel like a compelling reason to not add High Elves; especially if Blood Elf/High Elf models are included in the upcoming player model revamp.

All that being said? Ogres, to balance the High Elves. The principal challenge is ogre females.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Everytime I see Nozdormu's modified night elf model, or Dalaran as capital, or Vereesa as leader, I see not reason beyond Blizzard's will to make High elves into a race.
Agreed.

Ultimately, I'm fine with High Elves being added, but if it never happens it's not going to really degrade my opinion of the game. It's just something that fits for me.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.

Last edited by MisterCrow; 08-20-2013 at 06:21 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Give them Ogres. No, not that silly old model. That really old, old model!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:32 PM

Eternal

I was thinking naga and ethereals for neutral (Probably wouldn't be the same expansion), Furbolgs for the Alliance and Ogres for the Horde, because those two probably should have been there from the start.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:46 PM

Sha of Disappointment

On the subject of races: go on to Twitter, my minions, and pester the Devs for Tauren Plainsrunning. We did it first, we deserve to get it too.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Just make me Alliance and get rid of the faction system. Bam high elves!

Tags
factions, playable arakkoa when, poll, races, survey, warcraft, world of warcraft