Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 01-04-2015, 10:08 PM

Elune

Footman How Trickster would have done WoW

I am now realizing that I never made my thread for how I would have done WoW. So I am doing it now.

TABLE OF CONTENT
Let's talk mechanics! (Click me!)

Durotar (1-5) (Coming soon!)

Dustwallow (1-5) (Coming soon!)

Hillsbrad [Horde] (6-10) (Coming soon!)

Hillsbrad [Alliance] (6-10) (Coming soon!)

Stromgarde [Horde] (11-15) (Coming soon!)

Stromgarde [Alliance] (11-15) (Coming soon!)

Hinterlands [Horde] (11-15) (Coming soon!)

Hinterlands [Alliance] (11-15) (Coming soon!)

Alterac [Horde] (16-20) (Coming soon!)

Alterac [Alliance] (16-20) (Coming soon!)

Silverpine [Horde] (16-20) (Coming soon!)

Silverpine [Alliance] (16-20) (Coming soon!)

Tol Barad (21-25) (Coming soon!)

Gilneas (21-25) (Coming soon!)

Ruins of Lordaeron [Horde] (26-30) (Coming soon!)

Ruins of Lordaeron [Alliance] (26-30) (Coming soon!)

Scarlet Kingdom [Horde] (31-35) (Coming soon!)

Scarlet Kingdom [Alliance] (31-35) (Coming soon!)

Plaguelands [Horde] (36-40) (Coming soon!)

Plaguelands [Alliance] (36-40) (Coming soon!)

Quel'thalas [Horde] (41-45) (Coming soon!)

Quel'thalas [Alliance] (41-45) (Coming soon!)

Last edited by Trickster; 01-04-2015 at 10:39 PM..
Old 01-04-2015, 10:08 PM

Elune

Footman Mechanics

LET'S TALK MECHANICS
1-Factions and PvP
I am keeping the faction system in place. Even if it caused many problems, I believe the Alliance and Horde being in opposition is a core art of the Warcraft franchise. However, after the Battle for Hyjal, the dynamic isn't the same anymore. As such, other factions NPCs will appear neutral to you. Some may have flavor text, but most simply won't do or say anything to you. For the players, PvP can be activated and desactivated as it currently is. Killing a player of the opposite faction will instantly flag you as hated by the opposite faction's NPCs and then they will attack you if you go near them. For NPCs, your are flagged for one hour after the last player you killed. For players, it's the usual 5 minutes after the last player or NPC you attacked.

Battlegrounds are still a thing, but they are between subfactions or neutral groups. That means that in some battlegrounds, it will be good old Alliance versus Horde, but factions will be mixed in others. Arenas are also still there and their principle is unchanged.

Communication is possible between factions. If a player annoys you, you can just ignore him/her. You can't join another faction's party, however.

2-Capital cities
Capital cities as we know them do not exist in the version. In this game, the different towns in the zones are bigger and have more features, altough not all the features. In each zone, there is one such town for each faction. As an example, the would be a bank and an auction house in Tarren Mill. This change is to make the world feel bigger and more alive. It is also to allow players to hang out where they want. There would be a world trade channel available to discuss with players in other parts of Azeroth.

3-Faction leaders
The faction leaders are not there. Instead, each zone as a more important character that helps you in your questing. This character is located at the major town of the zone and can be assassinated by the other faction. He's still raid boss level, like the current faction leaders, it's just that he's someone else. As an example, Vanndar Stormpike is the Alliance commander in Alterac.

4-Races
The Horde consists of the Orcs, Trolls, Taurens and Ogres.
The Alliance is made of the Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes and High Elves.

5-Classes
Warrior: Every race.
Mage: Humans, High Elves and Gnomes.
Warlock: Orcs, Trolls and Ogres.
Hunter: All races.
Paladin: Humans, High Elves, Dwarves.
Shaman: Orcs, Trolls, Tauren.
Priest: Humans, Dwarves, High Elves and Gnomes.
Shadow Priest: Orc, Troll, Tauren and Ogre.
Rogue: Orc, Troll, Human, Gnome.

6-Levelling
You get 5 levels per zone. Here is the zone layout:
1-Dustwallow/Durotar (1-5)
2-Hillsbrad Foothills (6-10)
3-Stromgarde or the Hinterlands (11-15)
4-Alterac or Silverpine Forest (16-20)
5-Gilneas [Alliance] or Tol Barad [Horde] (21-25)
6-Ruins of Lordaeron (26-30)
7-Scarlet Kingdom (31-35)
8-Plaguelands (36-40)
9-Quel'thalas (41-45)
As you can see, it mostly takes place on the continent of Lordaeron. Other regions of Azeroth would be visited in later expansions.

7-Dungeons and raids
Dungeons would still be the same 5 players adventure and would mostly feature the zone villain, but there would be some exceptions. Dungeons would have normal and heroic modes, both of which would be accessible through the dungeon finder. Raids would scale from 10 to 20 players and would be available in normal and heroic mode.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:35 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Grunt

How do you actually get to the zones in that level progression? Like Hillsbrad is pretty far from Durotar.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:36 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
LET'S TALK MECHANICS
4-Races
The Horde consists of the Orcs, Trolls, Taurens and Ogres.
The Alliance is made of the Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes and High Elves.
Woah, Ogres, eh? Craaaazy. What'd you do,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar
Kill all Forsaken.
or something?
*sniff* I'll miss them...

I also approve of High Elves. This just screams "World of Warcraft2" to me. : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster
5-Classes
Warrior: Every race.
Mage: Humans, High Elves and Gnomes.
Warlock: Orcs, Trolls and Ogres.
Hunter: All races.
Paladin: Humans, High Elves, Dwarves.
Shaman: Orcs, Trolls, Tauren.
Priest: Humans, Dwarves, High Elves and Gnomes.
Shadow Priest: Orc, Troll, Tauren and Ogre.
Rogue: Orc, Troll, Human, Gnome.
I'm glad to see a bit more differentiation in racial classes (i.e. for the most part, it's a good balance; Alliance Mages vs. Horde Warlocks; Alliance Paladins vs. Horde Shamans; Alliance Priestes vs. Horde Shadow Priests). I'm a little iffy on seeing Troll Warlocks, though; I know Tauren wouldn't, but Trolls also shouldn't. (I know that kinda messes up your analogs, though).

Also, is "Shadow Priest" supposed to be it's own separate class?? Seems kinda weird (obviously nice analog, but with it originally being a "sub-class" to Priest, seems odd to break it out (or does it?)). Also Tauren Shadow Priests?... Bleh.

~

Other than that, looks kinda cool. I don't know about the rest. I will say that while it makes sense (from a "let's stretch this out" perspective) to only focus on Azeroth at first (gives you more room to spread, more races to interact with later), it kinda defeats the whole ethos of WoW at the time of post-TFT; they've already introduced this massive, expansive world, and to shrink back down, ignoring Night Elves & all that, just seems unfortunate.
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 01-25-2015, 09:21 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Yeah yeah, I'll get to it soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
How do you actually get to the zones in that level progression? Like Hillsbrad is pretty far from Durotar.
Basically, no one has heard from the Eastern Kingdoms since The Frozen Throne when a ship of survivors find its way to Theramore. Turns out they are evil Cult of the Damned drones. After killing them, Jaina sends a mission to Lordaeron to see what can be done. I'm still thinking about what the Horde reason could be.

Anyway, you only are in Kalimdor for the intro. You'll get there again in expansions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
I'm glad to see a bit more differentiation in racial classes (i.e. for the most part, it's a good balance; Alliance Mages vs. Horde Warlocks; Alliance Paladins vs. Horde Shamans; Alliance Priestes vs. Horde Shadow Priests). I'm a little iffy on seeing Troll Warlocks, though; I know Tauren wouldn't, but Trolls also shouldn't. (I know that kinda messes up your analogs, though).

Also, is "Shadow Priest" supposed to be it's own separate class?? Seems kinda weird (obviously nice analog, but with it originally being a "sub-class" to Priest, seems odd to break it out (or does it?)). Also Tauren Shadow Priests?... Bleh.
I'm making some kind of Voodoo spec for Warlocks, along with Demonology and Void. That's where Troll warlocks come from.

As for Tauren Shadow Priests, it's kinda the opposite of Sun Walkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
Other than that, looks kinda cool. I don't know about the rest. I will say that while it makes sense (from a "let's stretch this out" perspective) to only focus on Azeroth at first (gives you more room to spread, more races to interact with later), it kinda defeats the whole ethos of WoW at the time of post-TFT; they've already introduced this massive, expansive world, and to shrink back down, ignoring Night Elves & all that, just seems unfortunate.
The goal is to really see the world in depth instead of quickly going through the zones. Of course, the zones would be much bigger than their current counterparts, to compensate for less zones.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:41 AM

Elune

How will you deal in the future with the huge population imbalance favouring the Alliance due to Humans/High Elves and nothing but ugly races on the Horde?
Old 01-25-2015, 09:44 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
How will you deal in the future with the huge population imbalance favouring the Alliance due to Humans/High Elves and nothing but ugly races on the Horde?
A new race can be added to the Horde that fits.

Better storytelling Hordeside to make them make more sense.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 01-25-2015, 10:38 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Better storytelling Hordeside to make them make more sense.
This. I don't plan on having the Horde be bad guys. I even have stories that send you talk with the other faction so obviously there won't be a bad guy between the two factions, which should help quite a bit to balance the population.

And keep in mind it's done with modern tech (as I'm writing this in 2015) so most Horde races aren't as ugly as their old Classic models.

I am currently thinking about changing Ogres to Goblins, though.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:44 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
This. I don't plan on having the Horde be bad guys. I even have stories that send you talk with the other faction so obviously there won't be a bad guy between the two factions, which should help quite a bit to balance the population.

And keep in mind it's done with modern tech (as I'm writing this in 2015) so most Horde races aren't as ugly as their old Classic models.

I am currently thinking about changing Ogres to Goblins, though.
Change Ogres to Goblins. Would fit much better and give the Horde a tech counterpart to the Gnomes.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:51 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Change Ogres to Goblins. Would fit much better and give the Horde a tech counterpart to the Gnomes.
Yeah I'll probably do that. Still have time to think anyway as I haven't yet found out what the Alliance's main plot will be. I know the Horde's one though.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:19 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Yeah I'll probably do that. Still have time to think anyway as I haven't yet found out what the Alliance's main plot will be. I know the Horde's one though.
Reclaim of the lost?

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:39 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
I'm making some kind of Voodoo spec for Warlocks, along with Demonology and Void. That's where Troll warlocks come from.
Hrm, I suppose... Though if we're getting technical, no matter how you divide it up, Warlock's deal with Fel/Demonic energy, which AFAIK Trolls aren't particularly keen on.

But whatevs.
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 01-28-2015, 03:08 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
the whole ethos of WoW at the time of post-TFT; they've already introduced this massive, expansive world, and to shrink back down, ignoring Night Elves & all that, just seems unfortunate.
Seems like massive amounts of potential being ignored here, like someone said. What was the criteria/logic for drawing the line of what to include and what not to? Seems to me that any logic other than a general feeling arbitrarily enforced after the fact is doomed to fail. Which basically just gets you all of blizzard's problems with the seemingly arbitrary inclusion of some things. In reverse, but still there.
As opposed to avoiding all that, like I'm guessing you thought to.

Or maybe it's not that. Maybe you are thinking in more of a real world model, including realistic restraints like development time and resources, and that has you thinking that it's a good idea to be smaller and more focused at first?
Okay then. But in my opinion, way too many people making these threads grossly overestimate the audience they would get with a more focused version of the game where one of the biggest selling points for the real thing was having so much stuff and variety in it, with a bit of an unspoken promise to develop these one or two at a time later, instead of flat out not having the majority of it in there to begin with. WC3 with it's more-than-two-races-to-play was a massive success for a reason. And that's the last look at the world of Azeroth that any WoW-maker has to work with, unless they are going back in time, which I gather you are not doing.

I guess what I'm really trying to say here is: if this came out as a competing product to how Blizzard's vanilla release was, I would not vote for your version, for the above reasons. Even worse if it's presented as a new and recent do-over for people who have been through official WoW thus far, due to seeming lack of variety that just isn't going to be made up for with bigger zones and stuff.
You want more detail and size to things, with a slower pacing? Okay, sure. Sounds great on paper.
But I wonder how that's going to work when you find out how many people like me there are, who would just sit by and wait for you to add the rest, without actually subscribing to help support that effort before the stuff we're primarily waiting for is finally in the game.

Not trying to flatten anything, just offering some thoughts and perspective. Do keep going with this.

Last edited by Icefrost; 01-28-2015 at 03:32 PM..
Old 03-08-2015, 12:37 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Yeah I do get your point, Icefrost. But with this "project" of mine, I am just trying to show how I would have appreciated to see the whole thing go down. My goal is not to show a real alternative to WoW.

But if you want to know why I am making the world smaller, there are a few reasons.
  • Obviously by only showing parts of the world instead of the whole thing, you don't get stuck having bullshit and completely dumb expansions like Warlords of Draenor as you have stuff to show for a lot of time.
  • Having less zones mean I can make the few zones I have bigger and develop them more.
  • I am not going for the big hero who saves the world thing. It's a game about exploring. So there won't be any major storylines or stuff like attacking the Burning Legion or else.
  • I just tend to prefer smaller paces in games I play.

And yes, I'll post my zones eventually. I just can't be bothered doing it right now. But it will still be out before Winds of Winter at least.