Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

Old 09-17-2015, 07:00 PM

Elune

Default Should Blizzard Have Made WC3 Free?

A year or two back EA made Battlefield 1942 free on some anniversary or something, it brought a resurgence to the game and since it's such an iconic game it was beyond awesome for me. BF1942 is such an awesome game, I am glad it was renewed like this. And the biggest winners? Old, dedicated players of BF who got lots of fresh blood to play with. Major promotion for EA, new people getting Origin who may buy something in the future... it was a pure hit and quite generous a move.

Meanwhile on a much more significant anniversary Blizz launched... WC1 (though I don't recall hearing anything about that since, though I guess that makes sense). I mean come on, WC1 is ancient, primitive, uninspired and would have better served Blizz if it was converted into a facebook game.

What Blizzard should have really done is something bold like EA (and I am sure other companies had similar moves), make WC3 free. It would increase the population that plays that game a hundred fold, new players, poor players, people who lost their CD keys/passwords... it would rejuvenate the game. And such an awesome game it is, good gameplay, insane amount of fan made content and finally woW babies would be able to play the campaign and get some lore sense in them

The game could get so much more mileage, more competition for players, maybe even more custom maps, at worst it's a generous move (and Blizz is getting called greedy) that will produce a burst of activity in WC3 for a while and sate the nostalgia of many. At best it will be a new golden age for the game and a huge promotion for Blizz and Battlenet.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:57 PM

World Builder

Yes

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-18-2015, 07:46 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Why would they?

I mean, they killed the custom map community on purpose shortly near the release of StarCraft II. And then they fucked up SC2 anyway, so don't expect a F2P W3 to bring anyone back, specially if F2P SC2 failed to improve anything.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 09-18-2015, 08:25 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Why would they?

I mean, they killed the custom map community on purpose shortly near the release of StarCraft II. And then they fucked up SC2 anyway, so don't expect a F2P W3 to bring anyone back, specially if F2P SC2 failed to improve anything.
How/why did they kill it on purpose?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-18-2015, 08:47 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
How/why did they kill it on purpose?
Patch 1.24b broke thousands of maps, that are now unplayable. Since most of them are protected, and the authors are no longer around, you can't fix them in any way.

Great gems were lost. I still keep an unpatched client around to play them, but they aren't playable in Battle.net so good luck finding random people to play with.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 09-18-2015, 08:51 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Patch 1.24b broke thousands of maps, that are now unplayable. Since most of them are protected, and the authors are no longer around, you can't fix them in any way.

Great gems were lost. I still keep an unpatched client around to play them, but they aren't playable in Battle.net so good luck finding random people to play with.
That seems more like just being 'meh' rather than on purpose, which is... almost worse.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-18-2015, 11:38 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

As somebody who dropped money on the collector's edition when I was a poor high school student, I absolutely do not mind wc3 becoming free. My only real concern is people playing the campaign with a WoW biased perspective.

Also the custom map scene died long before sc2. DOTA is the culprit you are looking for.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:58 AM

Elune

Honestly I think this is a great blunder of theirs, I mean what are their expected earnings from keeping WC3 a market good? It costs something like 5 dollars or less now an if a thousand people bought this archaic game each year that is a whopping 5000 dollars a year! Yeah, I think it costs more to keep printing WC3 CDs than that, if they are even made anymore, probably not.

Sadly this is Blizz, they are proud, arrogant even and will never deal with a mistake. Who knows when or even if they will get the game out for free.

About the new patch that killed many maps, that sucks hard, and I am not sure it can be fixed even if Blizzard wanted to. Maybe if the game was made free and rejuvenated even for a short while it might attract some of the creators back to fix their work. It is probably negligence on their part but a conspiracist part of me wonders if it was to boost SC2 sales by making the people desire a new platform, purportedly a more powerful one to work with.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:05 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Id like Blizz to re-release WC1 and 2 too.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:12 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Are they still making WCIII battle chests? What paltry PC gaming departments exist in some department stores in the US were stocking them well into the release of Cataclysm. Haven't looked for them since, though... but if they're still being made and bought, it may not be worth it.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:22 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
That seems more like just being 'meh' rather than on purpose, which is... almost worse.
Fix a "weird" error no one experienced even before, that breaks most of the maps, right before the direct competence and presumed successor of W3 releases?

What a casual coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorhoofMayo View Post
As somebody who dropped money on the collector's edition when I was a poor high school student, I absolutely do not mind wc3 becoming free. My only real concern is people playing the campaign with a WoW biased perspective.

Also the custom map scene died long before sc2. DOTA is the culprit you are looking for.
It survived fine even with the dota-plague. It didn't go down until people moved to SC2, and once they saw the disaster it was, they didn't return to W3, broken maps one of many reasons.

Also, Android and Minecraft were starting just then, so less reasons to stay with Blizzard anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
It is probably negligence on their part but a conspiracist part of me wonders if it was to boost SC2 sales by making the people desire a new platform, purportedly a more powerful one to work with.
If I stab you in the back with a knife, I'm not conspiring to kill you, I'm just killing you.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:42 AM

Elune

Quote:
It survived fine even with the dota-plague. It didn't go down until people moved to SC2, and once they saw the disaster it was, they didn't return to W3, broken maps one of many reasons.

Also, Android and Minecraft were starting just then, so less reasons to stay with Blizzard anymore.
Heh yeah, DotA caught me off guard too. I remember everyone kept talking about this DotA thing and eventually I was annoyed enough to look into it, imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a piddly WC3 map. I was heavily into custom maps and DotA wasn't anything special, there were many 3-lane, mobs spawn, heroes fight maps before it and after it. But I guess it grew popular and it just kept feeding off of that and getting more popular until it became the phenomenon we know today.

I never liked it and I hated how so many people played just that one map (again, there were plenty of similar maps if nothing else), it really was a plague on WC3.

Last edited by C9H20; 09-21-2015 at 04:44 AM..
Old 09-30-2015, 05:23 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Heh yeah, DotA caught me off guard too. I remember everyone kept talking about this DotA thing and eventually I was annoyed enough to look into it, imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a piddly WC3 map. I was heavily into custom maps and DotA wasn't anything special, there were many 3-lane, mobs spawn, heroes fight maps before it and after it. But I guess it grew popular and it just kept feeding off of that and getting more popular until it became the phenomenon we know today.

I never liked it and I hated how so many people played just that one map (again, there were plenty of similar maps if nothing else), it really was a plague on WC3.
Can't agree more. I couldn't even understand why so many people thought that playing one character on a pretty limited map is better than controlling three heroes and dozens of units.

Tags
blizzard, critical thinking, f2p, nostalgia, warcraft, warcraft 3