Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 12-02-2016, 12:59 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Well, that's your holy right, but with all due respect, I am glad you are not the one making the calls.
One headed lizardbats, or pterrodax variants, would've been much better than that poorly proportioned rylak nonsense

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-02-2016, 01:18 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
One headed lizardbats, or pterrodax variants, would've been much better than that poorly proportioned rylak nonsense
Nah, you are just bigoted towards beings with multiple heads.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:09 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Thicc ogrezonians with jugs the size of murlocs.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:34 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Nah, you are just bigoted towards beings with multiple heads.
Untrue, Draenic hydras are amazing

My Worldbuilding:
Old 12-02-2016, 03:06 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Untrue, Draenic hydras are amazing
Alright, I got lost.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:37 PM

Banished

I cant wait for it to be released....as part of the process of being unable to wait for Vol 3. To be released. The night elven parts are the best parts always
Old 12-02-2016, 05:57 PM

Old 12-02-2016, 06:01 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Alright, I got lost.
What im trying to say is I like draenic hydra with multiheads cause they are well proportioned, Rylak are terribly proportioned and gangly

My Worldbuilding:
Old 12-02-2016, 08:48 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiraser View Post
- No ancient history of Argus and the eredar in Vol. 2. But the devs would like to write a story about these topics in the future.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:22 PM

Arch-Druid

I wonder how gory/graphic the Draenei massacare will be depicted. They didn't shy away much in the Maraad short.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurehax View Post
I wonder how gory/graphic the Draenei massacare will be depicted. They didn't shy away much in the Maraad short.
I wonder if there's a correlation between Metzen leaving and the orcs being allowed to be bloodthirsty monsters again.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:51 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I wonder if there's a correlation between Metzen leaving and the orcs being allowed to be bloodthirsty monsters again.
He was around in WoD and Cata and such right?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 12-02-2016, 11:07 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
He was around in WoD and Cata and such right?
He means actively around.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:46 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I don't know, they were not exactly peaceful in Warcraft III. The manual described them as a race of savage warriors even before their corruption.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:59 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
He means actively around.
My problem is, the orcs have BEEN allowed to be savage, it's just they and the Horde been castigated every step of the way at the same time.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 12-03-2016, 02:56 AM

Quote:
I don't know, they were not exactly peaceful in Warcraft III. The manual described them as a race of savage warriors even before their corruption.
There's a difference between "savage" and "bloodthirsty." Murlocs are savage. Murlocs don't make roads paved with the bones of an entire species.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:10 AM

Eternal

Quote:
There's a difference between "savage" and "bloodthirsty." Murlocs are savage. Murlocs don't make roads paved with the bones of an entire species.
From our point of view? There really is not, any warrior culture would be bloodthirsty in our eyes, the words you should really be using here is merciless, power hungry, morally corrupted, backstabbing, those are the primary things that differentiate the old orcish society from the (old and Garrosh's) Horde. Nonetheless, I don't remember Warcraft III retconning the Draenei massacre. And those roads were a Burning Crusade development.

Last edited by Marthen; 12-03-2016 at 03:18 AM..
Old 12-03-2016, 03:18 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Only in the context of "savage" meaning primitive and underdeveloped.

Its primary definition connotes uncontrolled violence and ferocity, which - given the horrendous stuff Draenor's natives routinely do to each other - seems the most applicable definition being touted in WarCraft, and applies to orcs a whole lot more than it does to murlocs. Even the "good orcs" like Frostwolves are pretty damned vicious and revere one's capacity for violence over virtually anything else, while we encounter multiple murloc tribes in-game who outright aren't particularly violent at all.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Only in the context of "savage" meaning primitive and underdeveloped.

Its primary definition connotes uncontrolled violence and ferocity, which - given the horrendous stuff Draenor's natives routinely do to each other - seems the most applicable definition being touted in WarCraft, and applies to orcs a whole lot more than it does to murlocs. Even the "good orcs" like Frostwolves are pretty damned vicious and revere one's capacity for violence over virtually anything else, while we encounter multiple murloc tribes in-game who outright aren't particularly violent at all.
Here's the thing though; the early Horde were not uncontrolled. They were an organized, honed weapon of war. You can't just "accidentally" commit a genocide, you need a fucking plan and the old horde and their legion masters definitely had one.

A "savage" cuts off a kid's head and plays soccer with it because no one told him not to. The orcs I'm talking about made fucking pyramids out of babies' severed heads to prove a point.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:34 AM

Elune

Speaking of #Savagery:

From Warcraft I manual:
Quote:
Our destiny concerning the domination over these lands has been foretold by the clan mystics for hundreds of years.
Warcraft II:
Quote:
Like an elemental force of havoc and destruction we thundered through the lands of the Draenei devastating all that we beheld. Not one life was spared. No building was left standing. The only traces of their existence were the blood-soaked fields they had worked for nearly five thousand years and the rank, acrid smell of the huge victory fires that consumed the bodies of their young. The Draenei were a weak people - hardly worth the effort of our raiding sweep. In the end, however, even these simple victories serve to keep the inferior in their place.

It has always been so with my kind. The savage, brutal tendencies of the masses are easily manipulated by those who hold true power. Power is the true force that drives the great destructive machine that is the Horde. Those who imagine themselves in possession of this power rally around their clan banners of violence. Yet without a common foe, even the leaders of the Orc clans blindly turn upon each other. The appetite for destruction that prevails amongst these fools drives the Horde; might and might alone is honored above all things.
Were there any theories on what the Draenei were like before WCIII came out? And how prevalent was sexism towards women in orcish society again?
Old 12-03-2016, 03:44 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Here's the thing though; the early Horde were not uncontrolled. They were an organized, honed weapon of war. You can't just "accidentally" commit a genocide, you need a fucking plan and the old horde and their legion masters definitely had one.

A "savage" cuts off a kid's head and plays soccer with it because no one told him not to. The orcs I'm talking about made fucking pyramids out of babies' severed heads to prove a point.
I really got lost here, what exactly is your point? Speaking of the pre-Horde society, they have always been a race of savage warriors, Metzen or not (arguably, he never intended them to be anything else). Speaking of the early Horde, they have been a race of morally corrupted, merciless and power hungry warriors, again Metzen or not. What you describe here is again a Burning Crusade development.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:13 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Were there any theories on what the Draenei were like before WCIII came out? And how prevalent was sexism towards women in orcish society again?
I figure it's a Blackrock, possibly even -Blackhand- thing that spread to the other clans when Blackhand was in charge.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 12-03-2016, 11:45 AM

Elune

Orc Icon (War3)

Am I the only one who finds Draenor more interesting than Azeroth? Legit a million times more hyped for vol 2 than I was for vol 1.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:52 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Orc Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Am I the only one who finds Draenor more interesting than Azeroth? Legit a million times more hyped for vol 2 than I was for vol 1.
Despite humans, dwarves and elves being the usual fantasy fare, most draenorian races are unappealing and boring to me. I like ogres and orcs well enough and would like to learn more about their ancestry, but saberon, arakkoa, breakers and primals mostly only interest me in relation to orcs and ogres. They're just not gnolls, harpies, murlocs or kobolds.

I would love to hear more about its other continents though.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:55 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Nope, even with the taint of the titans befouling the primal world it's still more interesting to me.

I wanna know what the deal is with the Old ogre empire and the rest of the world.

My Worldbuilding:

Tags
lore, warcraft