Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 01:18 PM

Eternal

Default Chronicle Vol. 2 - The Previews thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:40 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

I guess it's no surprise that Taria was game canonized. Wonder if she'll get the same death if there's a movie sequel. Didn't mention anything about her being Lothar's sister but that might be in an earlier part.

Looks neat so far. The part about Aggramar creating the Breakers because the Evergrowth would eventually overrun Draenor was cool. Of course in typical Titan fashion he just fucked off instead of keeping tabs on it.

Looks like a potential Tides of Darkness retcon in there too because it mentions Turalyon using the Light in the first battle of the Second War.

Last edited by Yorenec; 02-17-2017 at 01:45 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 01:46 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorenec View Post
I guess it's no surprise that Taria was game canonized. Wonder if she'll get the same death if there's a movie sequel. Didn't mention anything about her being Lothar's sister but that might be in an earlier part.

Looks neat so far. The part about Aggramar creating the Breakers because the Evergrowth would eventually overrun Draenor was cool. Of course in typical Titan fashion he just fucked off instead of keeping tabs on it.

Looks like a potential Tides of Darkness retcon in there too because it mentions Turalyon using the Light in the first battle of the Second War.
Dying kinda prevents you from keeping tabs on things.

Any other interesting things? I can't open zips on my iPad, so...
Old 02-17-2017, 01:48 PM

Arch-Druid

Ogre word for Draenor is Dawgar, "the Known Earth".
Arakkoa word is Rakshar, "the Sunstone".

The red pox was inspired by the Curse of Sethe.

Last edited by Asterisk; 02-17-2017 at 01:55 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 01:54 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post

It kinda breaks off at times. Garona had resisted Gul'dans mind control attempts to kill Llane several times but the recent encounter with Medivh messed her head up so she wasn't able to resist anymore and did it. With Llane dead SW fell easily and Taria died in the ensuing chaos.

Ogres created the red pox by studying apexis crystals and the curse of Sethe. The orc population was decimated as a result. In response a bunch of shamans pleaded with the elements for help, and the elements agreed to help because the ogres were being fuckwits around the Throne of Elements too much, so they completely destroyed the Gorian capital and forever ruined the ogre empire.

Also there's a better image of the paladins and Alliance artwork. It might be something else but just past the edge of the helmetless blonde's hair appears to be the tip of an elf ear, as well as what can be seen of her ears being elf-ish in general. Maybe it is Alleria.

Last edited by Yorenec; 02-17-2017 at 01:58 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 01:57 PM

Warden

That Evergrowth seems to be made up of Sporemounds creating forests and swamps. I hope they make the Zangar encroachment different from the Primals, from the beginning or after the fight with Grond.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:01 PM

Arch-Druid

I'm glad they're mentioning Medivh murdering council members in 'accidents' from TLG. The Ebonchill questline brings it up too but it feels good to see it in Chronicle. It was a plot point I always really liked.
I also like that note about pretty Mich everyone magically inclined felt the Dark Portal open. Makes me wonder what the Kirin Tor, or even the Nightborne, thought.
Aegwynn and Arcanagos were actually a team, but Arcanagos didn't die the way WoW showed it. He intervened in the Medivh vs Aegwynn duel and got burnt to bone.

I want to see art of Medivh so we know if he wore his WC3 or WoW clothes in this time period.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:08 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Well, it was pretty given that her name would be the same, why have it different? Though we shall see if she is his sister in this version.

Quote:
There's also another one. The Hillsbrad preview speaks of Proudmoore's fleet being shattered. That means there must have been a naval battle before the landing which the Horde had won, something completely absent in Tides of Darkness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post

1. The other names for Draenor are Rakshar and Dawgar.

2. There are six chapters. Primordial Draenor, Children of Stone, Rise of the Horde, The First War, The Second War and Beyond the Dark Portal.

3. Goria (as in the city) is completely obliberated and wiped off the map four hundred years ago before the Dark Portal by an alliance between the orc clans and the elements. The red pox is also invented at that time, by the Gorian ogres (and it is somehow derived from the Curse of Sethe).

4. Gul'dan uses all the remaining draenei prisoners to open the Dark Portal (this was present in the movie as well). Neat.

5. There are two sieges of Stormwind during the First War.

6. Doomhammer leads the second siege of Stormwind and is already the warchief by that time.

7. The whole Garona matter is finally explained. Gul'dan indeed does order Garona to murder Llane before Medivh's death and his fall into a coma, she just manages to resist that command out of her feelings for Llane, and it's only after Medivh curses her that she looses the willpower required to resist it.

8. The duel between Aegwynn and Medivh does not seem so one-sided.

9. Varian's mother is named Taria and dies during the fall of Stormwind.

10. Gavinrad (the Dire) is named among the leaders during the fall of Stormwind, next to Khadgar and Lothar. Neat.

11. For those who were afraid that they would alter Lothar's look to be as in the movie, this is not the case. He keeps is canon looks. They have even given him a strip of hair on the top of his head instead of making him completely bald, kudos. Also, the Stormwind lion does not look like in the game (praise the gods), but more like this.

Quote:
Also there's a better image of the paladins and Alliance artwork. It might be something else but just past the edge of the helmetless blonde's hair appears to be the tip of an elf ear, as well as what can be seen of her ears being elf-ish in general. Maybe it is Alleria.
Look at her ear itself. It is clearly rounded and human.

Last edited by Marthen; 02-17-2017 at 02:42 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 02:29 PM

Echo of the Past

I'm very impressed that they worked out the problem of Gul'dan mind-controlling Garona when he was in a coma. For years, that was one of my go-to examples of Blizzard not even thinking about First War lore and its timeline.

When does this come out?

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 02-17-2017 at 02:34 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 02:30 PM

Elune

Farahlon on the map!
Old 02-17-2017, 02:32 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I'm very impressed that they worked out the problem of Gul'dan mind-controlling Garona when he was in a coma.

When does this come out?
March 14th.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:39 PM

Loremaster

Interesting how that artwork seems to be indicating that the designs of several paladin and death knight tier sets in-game are outright taken from armor worn by original Second War paladins and death knights.

Pretty sure I see some pieces of the Vanilla-era PvP Alliance plate on a few soldiers there as well.

Last edited by ARM3481; 02-17-2017 at 02:46 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 02:45 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
March 14th.
Obviously Blizzard wanted me to have a nice birthday.

Orc origins aren't in the preview, right?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:53 PM

Priestess of the Moon

So there's an abundance of Elemental Spirit again, but no Elemental Lord/Fury.

Also, a vague reference to Mar'goks Sorcerors, but no direct mention of Arcane. How long are Ogres supposed to live? I hope it explains the Titan Stones he had in his possession as well.

If Grond was the progenitor of the Breakers...are Orcs then descended from him? (Grond > Gronn > Ogron > Ogre > Orc?)

So many more questions! What are the origins of the Pale? Do we have an Old God on Draenor? Did Aggramar know?
Old 02-17-2017, 03:03 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Pretty sure I see some pieces of the Vanilla-era PvP Alliance plate on a few soldiers there as well.
There's certainly the helmet, though I do not see anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackBenjamin View Post
Unstable elements, raging elementals and Elemental Lords result from the lack of Elemental Spirit. An abundance results in harmony and, as we can see here, in an accelerated life growth. Which is a direct parallel to Azeroth's arcane energies accelerating its life growth.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:03 PM

Arch-Druid

I wonder if Gorgrond is named after Grond?

Grond probably made an army of the giants used for Temples of the Damned after the Sporemounds adapted (which I assume means they made the Primals). Those giants became magnaron and so on.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:06 PM

Arch-Druid

So in other words, the Titans fucked up one way or another again. Regardless, can't fault Aggramar too much, the Evergrowth sounds terrifying.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:12 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackBenjamin View Post

Also, a vague reference to Mar'goks Sorcerors, but no direct mention of Arcane. How long are Ogres supposed to live? I hope it explains the Titan Stones he had in his possession as well.

If Grond was the progenitor of the Breakers...are Orcs then descended from him? (Grond > Gronn > Ogron > Ogre > Orc?)

So many more questions! What are the origins of the Pale? Do we have an Old God on Draenor? Did Aggramar know?
You could argue that the Evergrowth was the elemental lord of spirit on Draenor.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:15 PM

Eternal

Prehistoric Draenor was actually Zerus from Starcraft.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:29 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurehax View Post
So in other words, the Titans fucked up one way or another again. Regardless, can't fault Aggramar too much, the Evergrowth sounds terrifying.
I wouldn't call that "a fuck up" . First, the end of the previous chapter makes it pretty clear that Aggramar happened upon Draenor just before his later encounter with Sargeras, hence why he perhaps didn't even stay long enough to see his work finished. Second, even if Draenor didn't turn out the way he wished, he still saved it from certain destruction.

Anyway, more art for those who can't check themselves.

Lothar. Here, you can see his design and the design of the Stormwind lion I mentioned earlier.

Deathwing, not as damaged as during Cataclysm. I like how small Gruul seems compared to him.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:42 PM

Eternal

I like that in that Lothar picture, there's such... Drama. It feels like one of those renaissance paintings.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:00 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Thank god

EDIT:

Deathwing looks derpy

Last edited by Krainz; 02-17-2017 at 04:15 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 04:18 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
I like that in that Lothar picture, there's such... Drama. It feels like one of those renaissance paintings.
The guy bent down crying out with his arms just feels kinda melodramatic and forced, but otherwise yea it's amazing.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:19 PM

Eternal

One more thing, by the way. We finally have an explanation for the nobility and the gala nights at Karazhan. Medivh organized them to give himself an alibi. An alibi to lessen the council's suspicions regarding the murders of its members.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:28 PM

Arch-Druid

Orb of Frost

Rip Arcanagos. That feel when your carry gets cc'ed and then you get oneshotted by their carry.

Also getting one night in karazhan vibes due to the noble party goers.

Tags
lore, warcraft