Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,115

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Unless they retcon the ancient history of the high elves, the vial should work.
The vial creates a new well, which would feed the hunger, but not cure the addiction. The high elves were already addicted to Sunwell, they just did not notice it until it was taken from them.

However, Illidan, if the new lore is to be believed, has found a cure from magic addiction, which he used to turn formerly Magtheridon's demons to his side. Howver, he didn't give this cure to Kael's blood elves.

And actually, we have a clear answer on why he didn't provide them with the direct cure from addiction. In TFT, Kael, at first, asks directly for the cure, to which Illidan answers, that there is no cure, but only a possibility of satisfying their hunger for magic with demonic energy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan's Task
You were right to come to me, Kael. I share the pain of your addiction--your hunger for magic.
Can you help us, Lord Illidan? Can you cure us?
There is no cure, young one. But there are ways to feed the hunger. Follow me, and I will grant your people more magic than they can imagine.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 10-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
The vial creates a new well, which would feed the hunger, but not cure the addiction. The high elves were already addicted to Sunwell, they just did not notice it until it was taken from them.

However, Illidan, if the new lore is to be believed, has found a cure from magic addiction, which he used to turn formerly Magtheridon's demons to his side. Howver, he didn't give this cure to Kael's blood elves.

And actually, we have a clear answer on why he didn't provide them with the direct cure from addiction. In TFT, Kael, at first, asks directly for the cure, to which Illidan answers, that there is no cure, but only a possibility of satisfying their hunger for magic with demonic energy:
Did he even have the cure at that time? He certainly didn't have Magtheridon's demons.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Millenia Millenia is offline

Elune
Millenia's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,836
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Default

Possibility: fel magic addiction is curable, but not elf magic addiction.

Another possibility: the demons weren't freed from fel addiction, but simply had the Legion's sources of magic replaced with Illidan's, which ensured their loyalty.
__________________
"All right, I'll get that kid to eat. Where's my screw driver and my plumber's helper? I'll open up his mouth and I'll shove it in."


The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,115

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Did he even have the cure at that time? He certainly didn't have Magtheridon's demons.
And yet he gave Kael nothing when he got the supposed cure.

Because he needed the elves to be addicted. So that they would not just leave him alone on Draenor in typical elven fashion, after getting anti-addiction pills.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 10-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Are we sure the well vial was Illidan's cure? I thought the Ata'mal crystal that we're retrieving for the Black Harvest was what he was using to cure demonic addiction.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 10-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,115

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Are we sure the well vial was Illidan's cure? I thought the Ata'mal crystal that we're retrieving for the Black Harvest was what he was using to cure demonic addiction.
Yes, Ata'mal crystal is the cure. SPK was confused why the elves didn't just use the well vial instead of turning to the Legion's fel magic. I, on the other hand, think that creating a new well would not actually cure addiction, but only restore the status-quo that existed before the destruction of Sunwell.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 10-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Slowpokeking
Guest
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Yes, Ata'mal crystal is the cure. SPK was confused why the elves didn't just use the well vial instead of turning to the Legion's fel magic. I, on the other hand, think that creating a new well would not actually cure addiction, but only restore the status-quo that existed before the destruction of Sunwell.
But it's a MUCH BETTER choice than work with demon.
There is no need to cure the addiction, a new Sunwell would restore their strength and feed their hunger, they lived like this for thousands of years and they were just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 10-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
But it's a MUCH BETTER choice than work with demon.
There is no need to cure the addiction, a new Sunwell would restore their strength and feed their hunger, they lived like this for thousands of years and they were just fine.
Kael and his cronies tasted fel magic: compared to a Sunwell, it's far more powerful and addictive.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 10-24-2012, 06:04 PM
GenyaArikado GenyaArikado is offline

Banished
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,294

Default

And well, if something happened to the Sunwell again, the elves could avoid the whole hunger/wretched drama if they got cured.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 10-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Slowpokeking
Guest
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Kael and his cronies tasted fel magic: compared to a Sunwell, it's far more powerful and addictive.
No, most of the demons are far much weaker than the Sunwell.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 10-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Default

Honestly, demons are so fucking weak it doesn't make any sense that they're as successful as they have been.

In fact, I suggest that perhaps they aren't. What if it's all just Burning Legion propaganda.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 10-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,488

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Honestly, demons are so fucking weak.
How do you figure?
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 10-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Lord Eliphas Lord Eliphas is offline

Eternal
Lord Eliphas's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Eye of Terror
Posts: 4,639

Default

Dragons get colors.

Orcs are nice.

Daemons are dumb.

Alliance has depth.

Clear inaccuracies.
__________________
"Yeah, a sheltered and overly idealistic son of an absolutist monarch, set to inherit the whole nation and continue to rule it as an autocrat.

A beloved archetype of modern era!" - Kir the Gul'dan
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 10-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Slowpokeking
Guest
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
How do you figure?
Mannoroth got killed by Grom with 1 blow and the Sunwell blocked Doomhammer's whole army?

Beside Sargeras, Archimonde and K'J I don't see any other demons are more powerful than the Sunwell. If Kael knew about Anveena, it's possible to combine her energy and the new vial to make a even more powerful Sunwell, maybe it could match the 2 Eredar lords.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 10-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,488

Runes

The orcs aren't demons the sunwell is strong and Grom's a badass.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Slowpokeking
Guest
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
The orcs aren't demons the sunwell is strong and Grom's a badass.
Then why choose to join the demons rather than restore the Sunwell?

Also Mannoroth' power wasn't even given by K'J, it was given by Sargeras. You can see all he gave the blood elves was just demon blood.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 10-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,488

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Then why choose to join the demons rather than restore the Sunwell?

Also Mannoroth' power wasn't even given by K'J, it was given by Sargeras. You can see all he gave the blood elves was just demon blood.
I'm not even sure what you're saying.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Slowpokeking
Guest
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
I'm not even sure what you're saying.
We are talking about why didn't Kael use the vial to restore the Sunwell but chose to side with the demon.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 10-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,488

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
We are talking about why didn't Kael use the vial to restore the Sunwell but chose to side with the demon.
Because he was crazy and blizz sucks at writing?
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 10-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Slowpokeking
Guest
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Because he was crazy and blizz sucks at writing?
Yeah, character inconsistencies, I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 10-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Porimlys Porimlys is offline

Elune
Porimlys's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,979
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Default

Because the quest writers wanted to give him an item that was related to Mount Hyjal so they could get you attuned to that raid.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 10-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
How do you figure?
The fact that Azeroth, of all places, consistently manages to roflstomp them?

Azeroth should be a pushover. Hell, the first time around, they even had the advantage of a fucking huge empire inviting them in, and they still lost! It's the most incompetent world-spanning threat I've ever heard of. One wonders what the hell was the deal with all the other planets they've conquered, if Azeroth is really the only one they haven't been able to subjugate.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 10-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Volkrin Volkrin is offline

The Digger
Volkrin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 9,019

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
The fact that Azeroth, of all places, consistently manages to roflstomp them?

Azeroth should be a pushover. Hell, the first time around, they even had the advantage of a fucking huge empire inviting them in, and they still lost! It's the most incompetent world-spanning threat I've ever heard of. One wonders what the hell was the deal with all the other planets they've conquered, if Azeroth is really the only one they haven't been able to subjugate.
Azerothian weapons are forged from the purest narrativium. The mineral is created by taking superheated threads of plottite and putting them into the high-pressure environment of the GCC (gameplay compression chamber) where they are fused into a material with magical evil-defeating properties.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,488

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
The fact that Azeroth, of all places, consistently manages to roflstomp them?

Azeroth should be a pushover. Hell, the first time around, they even had the advantage of a fucking huge empire inviting them in, and they still lost! It's the most incompetent world-spanning threat I've ever heard of. One wonders what the hell was the deal with all the other planets they've conquered, if Azeroth is really the only one they haven't been able to subjugate.
Azeroth kind of had dragons and demigods and timeline fuckery going on. Most planets don't have that.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 10-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Azeroth kind of had dragons and demigods and timeline fuckery going on. Most planets don't have that.
Source on that?

I mean, the dragons are there because the Titan's have been by. Is Azeroth really the first Titan-shaped world it's encountered?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
critical thinking, lore

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.