Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 08-23-2011, 05:36 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default Who else wants to "lose" at the end of Cataclysm?

I don't want the good guys to win this time. I want Deathwing to die or become a statue, yes, but I don't want to be victorious. I want the Hour of Twilight to happen, and I want next expansion to be a "hell on earth" situation.

I'll get very disappointed if the good guys win once again. Am I alone on this?

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 08-23-2011, 05:46 AM

Demon Hunter

Your to late, the Panadren have already prevented hell on earth happening. There can't be hell on earth with cute fuzzy panda people.. although to some that might well be there version of hell on earth.

Richard A. Knaak, the Ron Jeremy of Warcraft Lore.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

I totally agree that this expansion is best served by a massive down note.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:13 AM

The Digger

I think the Hour coming to pass is a bit much though. I mean, losing is one thing, but I'm pretty sure the "annihilation of all Azerothian lifeforms aside from the Twilight Dragonflight" bit of things might be rather hampered by gameplay concerns.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:18 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
I think the Hour coming to pass is a bit much though. I mean, losing is one thing, but I'm pretty sure the "annihilation of all Azerothian lifeforms aside from the Twilight Dragonflight" bit of things might be rather hampered by gameplay concerns.
I think that's what's supposed to happen after the Hour of Twilight, not with the Hour of Twilight.

I think the Hour itself is the breaking of the prisons of the Old Gods, who will, in turn, destroy the world if we don't stop them.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 08-23-2011, 06:28 AM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
I think that's what's supposed to happen after the Hour of Twilight, not with the Hour of Twilight.

I think the Hour itself is the breaking of the prisons of the Old Gods, who will, in turn, destroy the world if we don't stop them.
But wouldn't stopping them constitute "winning"?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:35 AM

Elune

No. I'm sick of losing.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:43 AM

Elune

The only time we lost at WoW was during the Wrathgate, so I don't understand why you're already sick :S.

By "lose" I mean "actively lose a battle". Betrayals, casualties and off-screen defeats don't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
But wouldn't stopping them constitute "winning"?
Twilight Hammer plan:
*Destroy stuff
*Release Old Gods
*Old Gods destroy world

What I want is the second point to happen. We stop the Old Gods from destroying the world, but we don't stop them from previously escaping their prisons .

Last edited by Lon-ami; 08-23-2011 at 06:47 AM..
Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
The only time we lost at WoW was during the Wrathgate, so I don't understand why you're already sick :S.

By "lose" I mean "actively lose a battle". Betrayals, casualties and off-screen defeats don't count.

He is alliance, who, as you might know or not, experienced some setbacks in Cataclysm, mostly in the form of things like Southshore and alike which SOME players take too personally...

But I understand what he means.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:20 AM

Elune

Losing in this situation, having the Hour come to pass, means the annihilation of all life on Azeroth.

I don't want us to lose. WoW wouldn't be able to continue if they lost.

But ending the expansion on a down note? I would very much like to see that.

I want a "Thanks for breaking it, hero." moment.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:33 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

I don't know how much I trust unexplained visions involving the Oldgod's victorious when the Oldgods are involved. Just sayin'...

Personally, it's not hard to imagine the cinimatic, you have cities rising from the sea, the sky going all twilight, tentacles writhing about. The booming voices of the Oldgods narrating as their forms, whole once again come into view. "This world was ours" "Your Titans took it from us" "Imprisoned us" "Left us to die"... "But we are whole again, here to reclaim what was once ours. You wrongfully made your homes on our festering corpses, the hour has come to purge the maggots from Azeroth's husk and remake it once again in our image." "You... will... die"

I dunno... I'd buy it...

I'm cool with us killing Deathwing and all, but I'm really tired of ALWAYS saving the day. Lets just get the Oldgod plot over with in the most epic way possible I say.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:39 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Doubt releasing the Old Gods will happen. It might come really close like the Sargeras summoning in War of the Ancients.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 AM

Demon Hunter

No sillies, the hour of twilight is already crushed with the presence of panda bears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPmbL...eature=related

Last edited by Brohgshaman; 08-23-2011 at 07:51 AM..
Old 08-23-2011, 07:51 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Let's do it! I'm totally down for playing a Crapsack World where the good guys are complete jerkasses for once.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:05 AM

Elune

There's a lot of ways to represent Old Gods rising from the depths wanting to annihilate us.

My personal take for an Old God expansion, so you see some example:

The Old Gods have broken free, and are now trying to get to the surface. We must stop them in their own underground realms before they get outside and destroy everything.

-Z1A: Hyjal Deeps (cave system under Mount Hyjal, dark trolls and watchers are here, some Emerald Nightmare presence, too, with N'Zoth helping his 3 brothers escape)
-Z1B: Lordaeron archipelago (some isles with caves west of Tirisfal Grove, with an underground crater where "Time"'s prison was located)
-Z2: Azjol kingdom (classic Azjol-Nerub zone, divided in 3 zones like Vashj'ir, with Yogg-Saron and Loken being back, and the free undead nerubian helping us)
-Z3: Infinite anomaly (weird zone made of time chunks, where each floating rock is a different reality, and we can walk from one to another easily, the bronzes, infinites and "Time" fight here)
-Z4: Underwater Cavern (the lair of "Magic", who is the one nearest to escape)

It's just an example, more at my signature and here: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...&postcount=153 but you get the idea of how an Old God expansion could play out.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:25 AM

Chimaera

I'll take having some enemies that the Old Gods aren't behind, aren't good guys gone "insane," or whose goals aren't just to "Destroy everything."
Old 08-23-2011, 08:29 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
I'm cool with us killing Deathwing and all, but I'm really tired of ALWAYS saving the day. Lets just get the Oldgod plot over with in the most epic way possible I say.
I agree. I just want us to take a break from them. I'm getting really burned out by the Old Gods. They appear, behind every single evil action in the game, and then we kill them and head to the next Big Bad of the Week.

Having us lose in a meaningful way in game would be very cool. We supposedly "lost" in WotLK (Bolvar, all of the people who died and the LK is still "alive") but it never felt like we did. We came, we saw, we kicked it's ass.

Let's just fight Azshara, no Old Gods involved, then find out at the end that the Burning Legion and the Old Gods have decided to join forces to destroy Azeroth once and for all.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

I feel like we already lost with this entire expansion.

I'm just glad that Blizzard seems to realize this and is working to bring it to a relatively swift end.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRMNKY View Post
I agree. I just want us to take a break from them. I'm getting really burned out by the Old Gods. They appear, behind every single evil action in the game, and then we kill them and head to the next Big Bad of the Week.

Having us lose in a meaningful way in game would be very cool. We supposedly "lost" in WotLK (Bolvar, all of the people who died and the LK is still "alive") but it never felt like we did. We came, we saw, we kicked it's ass.

Let's just fight Azshara, no Old Gods involved, then find out at the end that the Burning Legion and the Old Gods have decided to join forces to destroy Azeroth once and for all.
The whole Vashj'ir questing experience culminates in Azshara's forces being bolstered by old god minions. You can't not involve Azshara without old gods now.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 AM

Elune

Quote:

Andorhal, Hillsbrad, Gilneas, and Stonetalon all come to mind.

When you add that to the results of Warcraft 1, Warcraft 3, and Starcraft, "Guess what, the bad guys win!" is starting to feel like a Blizzard cliche.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:32 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
No. I'm sick of losing.
Then go Horde, bitch.

J/K
Old 08-23-2011, 10:36 AM

Eternal

I was in the Alliance while I played. I lost when Cataclysm launched =)

*Places a tag stating the above is posted in humor and sarcasm*
Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
The whole Vashj'ir questing experience culminates in Azshara's forces being bolstered by old god minions. You can't not involve Azshara without old gods now.
Yes, but it doesn't mean that you have to fight the Old God itself. Let them stay in the background, just waiting to see how Azshara fairs. That's my point instead of constantly making them raid bosses and being told that really bad things will happen when they die, but they don't really die, but they can die, but DW caused the cataclysm, but it was really the old gods that caused it.... huh wha?

But I have to agree with Bolvar.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Not unless Azshara was just using the Old Gods for her own ends; the Trident of Neptulon. Now that she has it, maybe she's going to decide that her alliance of convenience with the Old Gods has run its course.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:13 AM

Demon Hunter

Pandas.

Thats all I can say...

Pandas...