Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 06:29 AM

Dryad

Default I'm working on an alternate universe pitch, feel free to critique

Due to my dissatisfaction with the quality of Blizzard's storytelling and world building, I decided to work on a pitch for an alternate universe that addresses the flaws I perceived in canon.

Here is the link to it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...T3TJW2ehYo/pub

It is still a huge work in progress and I am open to suggestions. This isn't a plot for a specific story but an overview of the setting itself, a sandbox for stories. Or a collection of ideas that others are free to pilfer.

The pitch should still be recognizable as StarCraft, rather than wholly original. It still has terrans dealing with internal strife while repelling alien invasions, protoss struggling between the inflexible old culture and new changes, and zerg devouring all in their pursuit of perfection. I recycled as much interesting stuff from the canon as I could think of.

Feel free to criticize or suggest. I find it more fun to have other people to bounce ideas with.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:04 AM

Ranger

Kerrigan is still important?
Old 02-09-2020, 04:40 AM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
Kerrigan is still important?
I hope not.
I like Kerrigan character, but it went wrong since Brood War.
She could be Starcraft counterpart of Sylvanas, creating independent faction of Infested Terrans controling some zerg broods.
I don't like how instead, she's a leader of the fucking Zerg swarm out of ass.
Even the gigantic brain "The Overmind" needed a lot of cerebrates to control the swarm and suddenly there's infested human psionic who outsmarts everyone and fucks everything with large army of demonique dino-bugs.

As I mentioned, I really like Kerrigan, but she's inappropriately too powerful.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:09 AM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxWatcher View Post
I hope not.
I like Kerrigan character, but it went wrong since Brood War.
She could be Starcraft counterpart of Sylvanas, creating independent faction of Infested Terrans controling some zerg broods.
I don't like how instead, she's a leader of the fucking Zerg swarm out of ass.
Even the gigantic brain "The Overmind" needed a lot of cerebrates to control the swarm and suddenly there's infested human psionic who outsmarts everyone and fucks everything with large army of demonique dino-bugs.

As I mentioned, I really like Kerrigan, but she's inappropriately too powerful.
That's one of several criticisms I have of her (and Stukov, but he's far less obnoxious about it). Aside from having Mary Sue powers, she steals the spotlight from the genuine zerg characters.

I don't believe that infested terrans should be able to control zerg at all, or at least not any better than standard overlords.

But all that's from a much earlier draft of my ideas. After receiving nothing but vitriol from the insane Starcraft fandom so far, I've decided I'm probably better off writing an original universe. Every non-Starcraft fanboy I've broached the topic with has told me so. They tell me that the Starcraft story is radioactive garbage and I'm better off writing an original universe.

The fact that Starcraft lore/story discussions can't ever discuss anything that doesn't revolve around stupid Kerry in some way is probably another nail in the coffin for my idea to turn it into a respectable scifi outing. I've tried to discuss Starcraft in forums for general military scifi/fantasy discussion and nobody's interested because the story is just that radioactive and the lore is just that shallow and uninteresting.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:26 AM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCrayonTales View Post
That's one of several criticisms I have of her (and Stukov, but he's far less obnoxious about it). Aside from having Mary Sue powers, she steals the spotlight from the genuine zerg characters.

I don't believe that infested terrans should be able to control zerg at all, or at least not any better than standard overlords.

But all that's from a much earlier draft of my ideas. After receiving nothing but vitriol from the insane Starcraft fandom so far, I've decided I'm probably better off writing an original universe. Every non-Starcraft fanboy I've broached the topic with has told me so. They tell me that the Starcraft story is radioactive garbage and I'm better off writing an original universe.

The fact that Starcraft lore/story discussions can't ever discuss anything that doesn't revolve around stupid Kerry in some way is probably another nail in the coffin for my idea to turn it into a respectable scifi outing. I've tried to discuss Starcraft in forums for general military scifi/fantasy discussion and nobody's interested because the story is just that radioactive and the lore is just that shallow and uninteresting.
All my respect, but if you're going to rewrite the Starcraft lore starting from the plot of very vanilla (episodes I-III), then you better just write your own new universe Because basically that's what will come out from it - you will create totally different story, not Starcraft.
I would understand if you started from Brood War or Starcraft 2, or even last missions of episode III. Even writing alternative Starcraft 2 would be interesting.
If someone creates new stories or his alternative canon of given universe, he should put some limit and respect the basics to have the fundament to base your spin-off on. Otherwise it's just rip-off of IP.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:10 AM

Dryad

EDITED FOR TONE

Quote:
All my respect, but if you're going to rewrite the Starcraft lore starting from the plot of very vanilla (episodes I-III), then you better just write your own new universe Because basically that's what will come out from it - you will create totally different story, not Starcraft.
I would understand if you started from Brood War or Starcraft 2, or even last missions of episode III. Even writing alternative Starcraft 2 would be interesting.
The main disagreement I have with Starcraft fans is that they equate Starcraft with Arcturus, Raynor, and Kerry. I don’t like those characters at all. I frankly don’t understand why they’re so important and I could easily live without them ever existing. I would find that preferable, even.

Quote:
If someone creates new stories or his alternative canon of given universe, he should put some limit and respect the basics to have the fundament to base your spin-off on. Otherwise it's just rip-off of IP.
I am writing an original rip-off, thank you. It liberally rip-offs the premise given in the Starcraft manual and classic bnet strategy compendium while ignoring the game script completely. You have your Earthling Confederacy, Bug Hive Mind, Jedi Robot Empire, factions thereof, yadda yadda. Just like Atrox, Dark Planet: Battle for Natrolis, and StarFront: Collision.

Also, sorry if I sound like an a**hole. I have this psychotic love-hate thing going on with Starcraft that clouds my better judgement. I also totally hate myself for my abrasive attitude that makes it impossible to connect with other people. If anyone feels insulted, then I’m terribly sorry for that and I’m going to hate myself even more for making that mistake.