Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 07-23-2011, 05:00 AM

Sha of Disappointment

low taxes?
Old 07-23-2011, 05:53 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrRotalHenricsson View Post
Necromancy is forbidden by the Kirin'Thor and the Council, for a good reason: Undead are corrupt and evil, period.
Hah. Even if you refuse to accept evidence to the contrary with the Forsaken, there's people like Leonid Bartholomew in the Argent Crusade. Plus Thassarian and Koltira Deathweaver.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:00 AM

Sha of Disappointment

I have played non-forsaken undead myself. All we really know about Leonid is that he dislikes the Forsaken and that he's part of a neutral faction. Oposing the bad guys does not make you a good guy by default.
Koltira and Tassarian are also a bad example since they're perfectly fine with killing stuff because of being death knights, and player-charakter stand-ins. Also, we don't know if they're good or bad since again, oposing the bad guys does not make you good guys automatically. (remember, a Death Knight is useful because he can think, he's indipendant to some extent. To make them follow his orders dispite of this, the Lich King made them addicted to killing. Death Knights are a special cake. but i admit, they're faaaar better examples than Leonid)
Old 07-23-2011, 06:02 AM

Elune

Well, I suppose convincing you otherwise will be rather impossible. Oh well.

I admit that our continuing endurance gives me a tingle of satisfaction to imagine the reactions of those who only see villains.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:03 AM

Sha of Disappointment

*reads the first sentence*
*reads it again*
*dies from loughter*
Old 07-23-2011, 07:58 AM

Eternal

Quote:
*reads the first sentence*
*reads it again*
*dies from loughter*
I like you.

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:06 AM

Eternal

Ehhh... I'll be honest, I kind of wish we'd see some mage-lore development away from Dalaran. I reread the Last Guardian a month or so ago for kicks and giggles. Whatever happened to the importance of Stormwind's own mages? There were a lot of differences from them and Dalaran's political magi. Stormwind's more powerful mages even had accommodations in the Royal Keep.

Then there is the entirety of Silvermoon City, which I hardly need to get into in terms of importance to mage lore.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:17 AM

Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I just don't see why draenei would want to join the Kirin Tor. The Kirin Tor is not a general mage faction, its specifically the mages of Dalaran. I'm not seeing why a draenei would immigrate to Dalaran.
I just don't see why why they'd be exclusive. If they were truly exclusive, there would be only humans there because Dalaran was a human founded city state. I'd think that "as a specialized sect that was charged with cataloging and researching every spell, artifact, and magic item known" etc... that they would welcome even more people of different backgrounds to gain a more well rounded and wider spectrum of magical knowledge.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:33 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFenix View Post
I just don't see why why they'd be exclusive. If they were truly exclusive, there would be only humans there because Dalaran was a human founded city state. I'd think that "as a specialized sect that was charged with cataloging and researching every spell, artifact, and magic item known" etc... that they would welcome even more people of different backgrounds to gain a more well rounded and wider spectrum of magical knowledge.
Would the Dalarani appreciate a Draenei joining and teaching them some new spells? Totally. Would a Draenei want to be a citizen of Dalaran? Probably not.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:00 AM

Eternal

I think the Draenei would be a great fight for Dalaran, but I don't think that they would necessarily be better mages.

Quote:
I have played non-forsaken undead myself. All we really know about Leonid is that he dislikes the Forsaken and that he's part of a neutral faction. Oposing the bad guys does not make you a good guy by default.
The evidence to support that Leonid is a good egg is that he is very trusted by Maxwell Tyrosus and Tirion Fordring. He seemed to be one of the high-ranking members of the Argent Dawn, and we see him fighting against the Scourge at Light's Hope Chapel, and he's now with the Argent Crusade, the members of which Tirion is "hand-picking" as those he trusts so that they can't be infiltrated again.

Leonid is also revered, but didn't grind to exalted, because he's very humble.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:05 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
I think the Draenei would be a great fight for Dalaran, but I don't think that they would necessarily be better mages.

The evidence to support that Leonid is a good egg is that he is very trusted by Maxwell Tyrosus and Tirion Fordring. He seemed to be one of the high-ranking members of the Argent Dawn, and we see him fighting against the Scourge at Light's Hope Chapel, and he's now with the Argent Crusade, the members of which Tirion is "hand-picking" as those he trusts so that they can't be infiltrated again.

Leonid is also revered, but didn't grind to exalted, because he's very humble.
The whole Draenei/magic thing has been kinda down-played, it's mostly all been about priests and shaman. People forget that Draenei are supposed to be some of the best spellcrafters in the universe. They built a society on magic that lasted for thousands of years. Even Sargeras, the ultimate bad guy, used their race because of that potential.

We only really see powerful Eredar mages, when actually there should be at least a couple of powerful Draenei mages considering their history.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:10 AM

Sha of Disappointment

That's actually a good point from AndyJP. If the Lore books were still canon i'd totally put him in the good-basket, since they did mention once or twice that a person with a strong enough will can resist the corruption, but since they are gone.... yeah, we really don't know anymore. For all we know, he could just hate the Scourge more and will turn on his friends as soon as they drive the last ghul out of Lordaeron.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:27 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
The whole Draenei/magic thing has been kinda down-played, it's mostly all been about priests and shaman. People forget that Draenei are supposed to be some of the best spellcrafters in the universe. They built a society on magic that lasted for thousands of years. Even Sargeras, the ultimate bad guy, used their race because of that potential.

We only really see powerful Eredar mages, when actually there should be at least a couple of powerful Draenei mages considering their history.
I got the impression from reading "Rise of the Horde" that it was really all about the ata'mal crystal. It empowered the Draenei and was immensely powerful itself, not unlike the well of eternity. It could be that they relied on it for their magic and so were not as powerful when it shattered. Tthey didn't seem particularly impressive against the warlocks, making their city invisible doesn't seem like something that is out of the question for the kirin tor and none of their buildings look very sophisticated. They don't even have magical brooms that clean up all by themselves, that's like the first thing anyone would do if they were a "master of magic"!

Quote:
That's actually a good point from AndyJP. If the Lore books were still canon i'd totally put him in the good-basket, since they did mention once or twice that a person with a strong enough will can resist the corruption, but since they are gone.... yeah, we really don't know anymore. For all we know, he could just hate the Scourge more and will turn on his friends as soon as they drive the last ghul out of Lordaeron.
If that is the case then it wouldn't have made sense for him to have left Sylvanas. He didn't even get an invite to Northrend. =\

Last edited by AndyJP; 07-24-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Old 07-24-2011, 10:39 AM

Eternal

What if Dalaran became the new Blue Dragonshrine? That'd be fun.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:40 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
If that is the case then it wouldn't have made sense for him to have left Sylvanas. He didn't even get an invite to Northrend. =\
He did. He works undercover as a cooking trainer in Vengeance's Landing.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:23 PM

Eternal

Quote:
He did. He works undercover as a cooking trainer in Vengeance's Landing.
Nathanos Blightcaller works part time as Auctioneer Cain
Old 07-24-2011, 11:17 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Nathanos Blightcaller works part time as Auctioneer Cain
Shhh! He's moonlighting. Sylvanas is not supposed to know.