Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 AM

Ashbringer
BattleTag: Montoya#1769

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Patch 5.4 trailer is up.

Tom Chilton says: Hey guys, let's showcase the new orc male model.

AND HOW
I loved this so much. Taran Zhu ftw! doesn't he survive that though?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:17 AM

Eternal

That was way better than the bad excuse for a trailer 4.3's trailer was. I loved it. Only two things though...

1. They tried way too hard to make Garrosh seem like a monster, evil and hate-able.

2. NOOO, TARAN ZHUU! He might have been somewhat of a hypocrite at times, but I still liked him. :/

Blizzard effectively wants to have its cake and eat it too by pretending to have this groundbreaking war in a faction capital while at the same time being completely unwilling to portray logical consequences of such an event.

Faction war can be done well, but Blizzard has half assed it and it has predictably flopped as a result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
It's not that wierd, it's just a fancy name for regular fisting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Well when you put it that way the Alliance has had plenty of fist-pumping moments lately.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:18 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
I loved this so much. Taran Zhu ftw! doesn't he survive that though?
Apparently he does. We've seen him walk away from some pretty devastating hits. Dude's a bear.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:18 AM

Elune

Okay, that trailer needs to be an in-game cinematic. Seriously, it was glorious, looked great and it filled an important role in the story. Just cut the gameplay footage, have the lorewalkers show it to you and you have an A-class cinematic.

Also, Taran Zhu is glorious. Good to see he actually read up on his enemies.

Also, that fleet... *drool*

Author of the Pink Engine.

Last edited by ijffdrie; 08-15-2013 at 08:21 AM..
Old 08-15-2013, 08:26 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Also, that fleet... *drool*
I know.

Looks like it's got the new Stormwind ships, the old style human ships, zepplins, Alliance gunships, Forsaken ships, Bloodsail(?) ships, orc ships, and some other type I can't make out.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:26 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

As for the content, I loved the fight between Taran Zhu and Garrosh. Even though I know this isn't the case, but I'm curious of the fate of Taran Zhu. We don't really see him die and being that close to a major sha source would resurrect his corpse. Both would be kinda lame given how many times he's managed to shirk of death, not to mention been Sha possessed. He scored bonus points for bringing up Hellscream and Garrosh's daddy issues, but even that feels a little awkward given how not related or exposed to that information Taran Zhu is. Still it's good to see it's hypocrisy referenced.

I already remarked how contrived and muddled Garrosh's actions are here. It's very strange he goes through all this effort capture Pandaria's heart then he just drops it in the water for no reason and walks away. He cites "It thirsts" as being the reason he is doing this, which means to imply that the heart is talking to him on some level. Yet we have been fed this lie that he is in control of his own actions... it still makes absolutely no sense.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 AM

Arch-Druid

Awesome trailer. That's the sort of quality I expect from Blizzard, not the atrocious DS mishmash fest.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:28 AM

Huntress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
As for the content, I loved the fight between Taran Zhu and Garrosh. Even though I know this isn't the case, but I'm curious of the fate of Taran Zhu. We don't really see him die and being that close to a major sha source would resurrect his corpse. Both would be kinda lame given how many times he's managed to shirk of death, not to mention been Sha possessed. He scored bonus points for bringing up Hellscream and Garrosh's daddy issues, but even that feels a little awkward given how not related or exposed to that information Taran Zhu is. Still it's good to see it's hypocrisy referenced.

I already remarked how contrived and muddled Garrosh's actions are here. It's very strange he goes through all this effort capture Pandaria's heart then he just drops it in the water for no reason and walks away. He cites "It thirsts" as being the reason he is doing this, which means to imply that the heart is talking to him on some level. Yet we have been fed this lie that he is in control of his own actions... it still makes absolutely no sense.
If memory serves, I think he is still alive (if not badly wounded) during the first part of the Siege of Org. I think Cho has some lines with him.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:28 AM

Elune

Beautiful! How come Blizzard excell at their animation lately, but seem to get just about everything else wrong?

And Garrosh inevitably falls in that "Big Bad Evil Guy" position again. "Hey guize come to me EVUL FORTRESS OF DOOM where I will totally unleash the horrors I have enmassed and obliterate your asses!" I hate that in every patch trailer that does a preview of the raid.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:29 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Though it would still contradict Wolfheart through World of Warcraft (where the assault from Theramore's forces was stopped by the barrens splitting up)
Theramore beginning its assault before the Cataclysm makes no sense. :/ There was no war 'til Garrosh's first invasion of Ashenvale.

Jaina preparing her forces makes sense since in ToW it was revealed that Northwatched attacked Taurajo as a premptive strike. And attack that hadn't taken place in Wolfheart, yet.

PS: OMHMGBE! THAT TRAILER WAS AMAZING! T__________________T THE ORC MODEL! THE ORC MODEL!

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 08-15-2013, 08:31 AM

Trade Baroness - Admin

And Garrosh didn't even look derpy.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:31 AM

Elune

Horrors I have unleashed, Answer for your crimes?

Oh hi fall of the lich king trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:35 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Sonnellion, why do you want garrosh to be corrupted so bad? Why do you want to make him another pawn of the old gods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:35 AM

Elune

Quote:

Quote:
In a compound beneath Ragefire Chasm, Garrosh has infused his followers – the ‘true Horde’ – with the pilfered essence of the Old God Y’shaarj. With the power of a primordial world-twisting force at his command, Garrosh can rebuild the Horde in his image: strong, obedient, and, most importantly, ‘pure’.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/pat...nder-dev#story

Quote:
His thirst for power has unleashed a calamity that will have unforeseen consequences neither side could have prepared for—and his betrayal of the Horde as Azeroth has known it will soon be complete.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/106...shed-8_15_2013

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
And Garrosh didn't even look derpy.
Shame his motivation and character still are.

"I WILL KILL EVERYONE! BECAUSE I WILL KILL EVERYONE! AND EAT THIS OLDGOD HEART BECAUSE.... I WILL KILL EVERYONE! RAAAAAAAAWR! I NEED NO LOGIC OR REASONING! ALL WE NEED ARE ORCS AND GOBLINS TO KILL EVERYONE!"

Thing is, given his "Come at me bro" drive now, rebuilding a pure horde is forced and scrapped. Especially since dudes fucking using everything he can to taint it. Fuckin mantid, dark shaman and sha. Even if they dropped that he wanted to control the world... or build an empire it would be somewhat of a more understandable place for him to come from, but instead it's:

"I built a fortress and filled it full of monsters u guyz, now u attack it! Dat how dis work!"

Which safe to say is some serious bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Sonnellion, why do you want garrosh to be corrupted so bad? Why do you want to make him another pawn of the old gods?
I don't want him to be a pawn of the Oldgods. When they came out with this fucking stupid Sha heart eating bullshit it's the only logical thing given the context. I'd have loved us to just fight Garrosh because he raised himself to maximum cockbag levels, but instead they have taken it all in an entirely different way with the supernatural bullshit. Garrosh needed to die due to his actions alone, involving outside spooky Oldgod forces just fuckin' ruins it. If he dropped that heart and left it there because he wanted to murder the Pandaren for allying themselves with the Alliance or staying neutral, I'd be cool with it.

Last edited by Sonneillon; 08-15-2013 at 08:42 AM..
Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandred View Post
I know.

Looks like it's got the new Stormwind ships, the old style human ships, zepplins, Alliance gunships, Forsaken ships, Bloodsail(?) ships, orc ships, and some other type I can't make out.
I count:
-3 human gunships
-2 original horde zeppelins
-4 northrend horde zeppelins
-5 bloodsail ships
-8 MoP human ships
-5 WotLK human ships
-6 Night elf ships
-4 vanilla human ships
-6 forsaken ships
-3 blood elf ships
-3 orc ships

Author of the Pink Engine.

Last edited by ijffdrie; 08-15-2013 at 08:44 AM..
Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 AM

Eternal

What I think is interesting is that Garrosh is actually being pretty consistent with how he's been portrayed in MoP so far.

"Your father dealt in powers 'beyond reckoning.' Where is he now?"

That Garrosh gets enraged when Zhu mentions Grom makes sense. Even if Thrall succeeded in convincing Garrosh that Grom was ultimately a hero, Garrosh is still really sensitive about the part where Grom led the Horde down a pretty dark path when he drank the blood. Garrosh isn't being lolevil here: Zhu is making a crack about Grom, Garrosh can't let that stand.

"They are no longer part of MY HORDE."

Garrosh has been butting heads with Baine, Vol'jin, and Lor'themar since the start of this. He killed Vol'jin; he doesn't need the trolls. Baine walked away from him after Northwatch; he doesn't need the Tauren. Lor'themar walked away from Garrosh to run his own game on the Isle of Thunder, making airs that it was for the Horde. So Garrosh is convinced, now that he has the Heart of Y'shaarj, that he really hasn't got a need for anyone else now that he has the ultimate weapon. Garrosh isn't being lolevil here either: if the objective of the Horde is to become strong and dominate your enemies, then those who haven't got the stamina to keep up with Garrosh don't have a place on the winning team.

"They will come for you." "Yes, I'm counting on it."

Garrosh operates purely on the assumption that the path to glory and honor for the Horde is through confrontation and warfare and given the history of the Horde throughout the games, this is consistent with stated orcish goals. Now that he has the ultimate arsenal, he's certain he'll win that contest when it comes down to it; he just has to wait for Varian and the Voodoo Revolution to come knocking and answer the challenge. This isn't Garrosh being lolevil: the only way to be the champion is to demonstrate that you can crush all challengers.

"You pandaren tried to bury your hate, your anger. But such power cannot be contained."

Garrosh has associated that hatred and anger are the keys to unlocking personal strength and power. If you hate your enemy, you possess that much more willpower in fighting against him, thus hate makes you stronger, and if stronger is better, hate is necessary.

This is subjectively evil, but that really condemns the entire history of the orcish history of clan warfare that Garrosh is himself a product of.

"I answer to NO ONE."

When you are #1, people bow. Those who don't bow are cut down. And if someone is able to overthrow you, you'd better be dead as a result, because the shame of having the champion's seat and losing it is too great a dishonor to bear. Always go out on top.

That's how big daddy Grom did it, after all.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:41 AM

Elune

Quote:
I count:
-3 human gunships
-2 original horde zeppelins
-4 northrend horde zeppelins
-5 bloodsail ships
-8 MoP human ships
-5 WotLK human ships
-4 Night elf ships
-4 vanilla human ships
-6 forsaken ships
-3 blood elf ships
-3 orc ships

See, this is what I think velen was thinking of when he said of the golden army, All races, Alliance, Horde, Standing in full force to stop that wich would destroy all we hold dear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 AM

Elune

Human ship right near the Forsaken one. Oh god, Fojar is gonna die.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:44 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
I can hear his aneurysm from here.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 AM

Elune

Quote:
I can hear his aneurysm from here.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
So it's Stormwind and Lordaeron standing/sailing/fighting side by side?

This will be a day long remembered....
Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 AM

Elune

MisterCrow, that was a great post!

Also. I loved that shoot showing the combined fleets of the Horde, the Alliance and neutrals! Just so amazing!

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 AM

Arch-Druid

There is more Alliance stuff than Horde in that Pic, I eagerly look forward to hearing how this is Horde bias.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:53 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
MisterCrow, that was a great post!
Thanks! I'm glad someone noticed it, being sandwiched between those huge screenshots. I might spruce it up a bit and throw it on PW:R.

I'm not sold on whether Blizzard has done the best job in selling Garrosh' actions as being entirely his own; because they've said so in interviews, they've tried to get it across in-game, but we've had plenty of villains act less recklessly while under the control of Old Gods. Everyone expects that when a characters starts getting super-aggressive, it's because there's another force at work, and ultimately, it turns out that it usually IS another force at work. So them attempting to sell Garrosh as being 100% in control of his actions and choices falls flat because it goes against their modus operandi.

Which sucks, because if Blizzard doesn't feel like the Garrosh sell didn't work, they're less likely to try something with nuance in the future.

Closed Thread

Tags
mists of pandaria, world of warcraft