Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-09-2013, 04:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
It's not a retcon because it's an adaptation. The movie won't be canon.
Then it sucks even more. Why can't they make it canon? Why can't we have an official lore movie? :/

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-09-2013, 04:40 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Then it sucks even more. Why can't they make it canon? Why can't we have an official lore movie? :/
Official and canon are not the same thing. It's still going to be official and likely very good.

HED's Marvel comparisons are the best way to look at it.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:42 PM

Elune

Quote:
With all the books and extra lore they released? Nope, W1+W2+W2X is probably the best option for a trilogy. They're perfect, with lot of connections and a solid plot.
Obviously I disagree.

I think a totally new development would be best, but that might not work out so well commercially. So a historic event we've never seen would be a close second imo, like the Troll Wars or War of the Three Hammers, First War of Ahn'Quiraj... that kind of stuff.

But if going for a trilogy? I'd take the following:

Movie1: Arthas' story (Human+UD campaigns)
Movie2: Thrall's and Jaina's story with some elves (Orc+Early Night campaigns)
Movie3: Culmination at Mount Hyjal (rest of the NE campaign)

The campaigns wouldn't be followed strictly, we'd avoid the more game mechanicky moments and insert previously unseen events (Jaina's journey, for example).

Perfect.

@Sonne, eh, I'll see what you think when the movie is actually out.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:48 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Those movies would be way more complicated plot-wise. For fans they would be fine, but a movie should be easy to understand to even non-fans, and I don't think anyone would understand any piece of Wacraft lore easily, except the first and second wars which are pretty simple and straightforwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
I'll send your infantile first line back to you. Listen to what Metzen said. Durotan represents what Metzen considers the ideal orc, honourable, concenred with family and clan, yet without losing his orcish savagery. His counterpart in Metzen's eyes is Lothar.
I'll also remind you to read Rise of the Horde as from your post I can see that you've never read it.
What if Metzen is wrong? Durotar is an exile. How can he be "the ideal orc"? He is the ideal orc during W3 when orc society is back to pre-corruption, not before, when orc ideals are all about war and Durotan is a weakling who got exiled to Azeroth after the Dark Portal was opened. But well, if you prefer to see an exile wandering around instead of the orc chieftains commanding the war, I guess you'll be fine.

And what does Rise of the Horde have to do with this, or are you just trying to invalidate my arguments through such a shitty excuse as "lol you don't read"? I'm behind pretty much all the novel pages on wowpedia. I do think I've read RotH, thank you.

During the First War orcs are demonic and somewhat evil. Shoehorning Durotan to make them look honorable is utterly shameless.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-09-2013, 04:49 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
What if Metzen is wrong? Durotar is an exile. How can he be "the ideal orc"? He is the ideal orc during W3 when orc society is back to pre-corruption, not before, when orc ideals are all about war and Durotan is a weakling who got exiled to Azeroth after the Dark Portal was opened. But well, if you prefer to see an exile wandering around instead of the orc chieftains commanding the war, I guess you'll be fine.

And what does Rise of the Horde have to do with this, or are you just trying to invalidate my arguments through such a shitty excuse as "lol you don't read"? I'm behind pretty much all the novel pages on wowpedia. I do think I've read RotH, thank you.

During the First War orcs are demonic and somewhat evil. Shoehorning Durotan to make them look honorable is utterly shameless.
Metzen isn't viewing the orcs in compartmentalized eras. He views orcs as a thing, and that the orcs of the First War era were deviations from the ideal, not a different ideal altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 11-09-2013, 04:53 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Metzen isn't viewing the orcs in compartmentalized eras. He views orcs as a thing, and that the orcs of the First War era were deviations from the ideal, not a different ideal altogether.
Thanks, someone that gets it.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:30 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
This. Durotan is what remains of the original orcish culture during W1.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 11-09-2013, 06:26 PM

Elune

In the midst of the hype I feel obligated to remind you all that the movie is still going to be shit.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:29 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

I'm overly excited for this film. As I watched the panels I got progressively excited by knowing all the detail and care going on behind scenes, but I remained worried about the plot.

When they dropped the ball about Durotan and Lothar I realized this film will be the next Iron Man, but for fantasy. It will start a series of movies and a massive hype for the genre.

I'm 100% sure they'll do an excellent job and the story will be superb. There's no other way to start telling a Warcraft story than the beggining.

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:13 PM

Elune

Yay First War movie!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:13 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falarson View Post
I'm overly excited for this film. As I watched the panels I got progressively excited by knowing all the detail and care going on behind scenes, but I remained worried about the plot.

When they dropped the ball about Durotan and Lothar I realized this film will be the next Iron Man, but for fantasy. It will start a series of movies and a massive hype for the genre.

I'm 100% sure they'll do an excellent job and the story will be superb. There's no other way to start telling a Warcraft story than the beggining.
Sounds like a lot of confidence.

I'm still a little on the skeptical side, but it looks promising to say the least. Durotan and Lothar are characters that I really like.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:19 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Like what I heard. Can't wait to hear more. Still not going to say it will be awesome, but its encouraging.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:21 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Sounds like a lot of confidence.

I'm still a little on the skeptical side, but it looks promising to say the least. Durotan and Lothar are characters that I really like.
I know it really sounds like a little bit too much on my side, but I can really see where this is going on the choices they've made. Every single thing discussed today at the panel is positive for the movie, in my opinion.

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
In the midst of the hype I feel obligated to remind you all that the movie is still going to be shit.
Even if it is, it'll at least be pretty-looking shit.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I'm almost absolutely certain they're going to tweak the release date a little.

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 11-09-2013, 09:28 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

You know me and my love for Lothar, so I was so glad to hear that. That being said, they did also show pictures of a floating Dalaran at the con, which is squarely in the WoW era, so the plot may jump around a bit.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:36 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
You know me and my love for Lothar, so I was so glad to hear that. That being said, they did also show pictures of a floating Dalaran at the con, which is squarely in the WoW era, so the plot may jump around a bit.
I'm thinking that will be from a montage in the beginning introducing Azeroth

Or just scrapped entirely like the old Teldrassil concept from a few years ago.

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

They probably just retconned Dalaran as always being in the air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:41 PM

Yeah, I'm guessing that for the purposes of the film Dalaran will be floating at the time of the First War.

Quote:
Old 11-09-2013, 09:48 PM

Elune

That works too. We did just get done talking about how adaptations don't need to be 100% accurate, I guess.

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:49 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
That works too. We did just get done talking about how adaptations don't need to be 100% accurate, I guess.
Unless you're Anansi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:52 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

This is assuming Dalaran is in the movie.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:58 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garotar View Post
This is assuming Dalaran is in the movie.
Not sure why they'd make this if it wasn't

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:17 AM

Elune

That Stormwind concept art looks nice but it has a serious problem in that it makes Stormwind look tiny.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:30 AM

Demon Hunter

That Dalaran art is so pretty.
The gnome, for example, could be impressed by the technology of a conqueror, the goblin by his riches, the elf by his respect for the arcane, the draenei by his moral integrity, the tauren by his calm authoritative bearing. But the orc, who is impressed by none of these things, must always be struck to the dust, and struck down again as he rises, and struck again as he lies groaning. ‘While his wounds still pain him he will respect the hand that dealt them’.

Tags
entertainment, warcraft