Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-14-2005, 09:53 AM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Shadow Orb Where in the World are the Old Gods?

Some notes:
- First off, the location of Dragon Isle is unknown. Therefore, where I put that Old God is speculation based on an interesting pattern that forms if I put him there

- The two brown Old Gods on that map are dead. One is the Master's Glaive in Darkshore, the other is located on Dragon Isles as mentioned previously.

- The location of the one in Tirisfal, while somewhat speculatory, is based on a ton of hints Blizzard has been giving out to that affect, which include:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/chapter2.html

Quote:
Forging inland, the high elves founded a settlement within the tranquil Tirisfal Glades. After a few years, many of them began to go mad. It was theorized that something evil slept beneath that particular part of the world, but the rumors were never proven to be true. The high elves packed up their encampment and moved northward towards another land rich with ley energies.
As well as mentionings in the RPG books (and I think other sources) that the Undercity simply "existed" and was not built. Arthas renovated it but it existed long before Humans even settled in Lordaeron. In particular, the entry in Magic & Mayhem for the "Black Iron Golem" says things such as "these creations from some elder race" and "The Banshee Queen is clearly not the creator of these relics, since they were in Undercity long before men discovered it." I think it's a pretty safe bet You can also consider the fact that Dalaran is located in a land with so much inherent magical energy and perhaps, though possibly unrelated, the increasingly xenophobic nature of Gilneas and its ruler Genn Greymane. I just find it interesting that he has gone so far as to wall off his kingdom now and in general showing some signs of craziness not unlike that of Deathwing

It should also be noted that the center of the hexagram is the Well of Eternity aka the Maelstrom now.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:06 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Interesting thats for sure.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:18 PM

Chimaera

Nice theory there. This sure is interesting and might be very possible that you are right. I would think that a person like Chris Metzen, or any Blizzard employee for that matter, comes up with the places for the Gods in this fashion. Especially since Blizzard is known for using other sources as ideas for Warcraft lore (easter eggs). They just like adding hidden messages.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:09 PM

Treant
Send a message via AIM to Planet_Buster

So when the War of the Ancients trilogy mentions the three old gods, it only means the three that are still alive I suppose.

Does any of the old gods have a name yet, or are they just "the old gods"?
Old 10-14-2005, 07:54 PM

Demon Hunter

So what is the theory for the Old God in Northrend? I suppose it would have to do withthe Faceless ones, though I the only thing I remember was from The Frozen Throne.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:29 AM

Treant

Very interesting

However, we know that the Silithus Old God doesn't look like an annomite, but rather like some wierd insect thing, based on how the Quiraji look

And it did say he made them to look like they were in his shape, so we can assume he looks like said wierd insect thing, for the time being at least

And I have just figured out why the, as I call it, "Huge freakning untextured annomite temple from the artwork and dev land" is called "Dragon Island"

Last edited by Mecheon; 10-15-2005 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: I just figured out why Dragon Isle is Dragon Isle
Old 10-15-2005, 11:36 AM

Treant
Send a message via AIM to Planet_Buster

Have we ever seen the Qiraji? Obviously we've seen the Silithid--they're all over the place--but I was unaware that we'd seen the Qiraji as of yet. I do recall some of the Silithus raid bosses looking like Thunderhawks, which is rather non-insectoid.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:02 PM

Keeper of Lore

I still don't buy that "made in his own image" crap. I've seen the Qiraji. They are all freaking different looking. One looks like a Mosquito. One looks like a Cockroach. One looks like a horned beetle (with a big ass claw). So yeah, unless this guy looks like a bunch of different bugs they are not made in his image.

Last edited by Warlock; 10-15-2005 at 02:14 PM..
Old 10-15-2005, 10:10 PM

Druid of the Talon

Default Qiraji...

Hello, my first post! I'm new here if you can't tell. Anyway, I was on the Warcraft Forums when someone posted a link to this site and I decided to join because I like Warcraft Lore so much.

Anyway, to answer the Qiraji mystery. On the forums, after doing some digging, I found someone who posted an interesting theory on the Qiraji. Here's the post its self. I did not come up with this, I just found it but I think it should help fill in the gaps:

The Qiraji are a master race that come from an evolved form of the insect-like Azi'Aqir. Qiraji were mutated, or subjugated, in ages past by a creatured named C'Thun who was (apparently) an Old God. From what we've seen, the Qiraji themselves are Egyptian in theme. The two official examples were a guardian of the gates to Ahn'Qiraj, Setis, and the new raid boss in Silithus named Emissary Roman'khan.

The Azi'Aqir were one large race in the beginning before the start of the wars against the Troll empires of Kalimdor. Through the long campaigns and the persistence of the Trolls, the Aqir split into two factions: Ahn'Qiraj and Azjol-Nerub. There is some time discrepancy here but apparently this occured about 16,000 years ago before the influence of C'Thun took hold. The Nerubians, who ended up in Northrend, are apparently free of the influence of the Old God.

About 1000 years ago, according to Ralo'Shan, the Eternal Watcher of Staghelm Point, the armies of the Qiraj marched across Kalimdor in an attempt to take the land for themselves. The Night Elves under Fandral Staghelm sought to halt the advance but were thuroughly disenfranchised come the death of Fandral's son, Valstann. The Night Elf armies were pushed back all the way through Un'Goro into Tanaris where the Silithid were abruptly halted by the appearance of a Bronze Dragon.

Some interesting things to note, the Silithid apparently couldn't claim the land in Un'Goro due to some great power. Un'Goro has been postulated to have been the "home" of the Titans when they were shaping Azeroth. There is one hive in Un'Goro, however, and you'll notice it lies in the only part of the map where one of the odd crystal pylons do not exist.

So, to recap:

-Azi'Aqir were the first intelligent, insectoid race.
-Split into Ahn'Qiraj and Azjol'Nerub
-C'Thun (Old God) influenced the Qiraj and gave them a purpose
-The Qiraj built up an army of Silithid that tried to take over Kalimdor
-They got whacked by a Bronze Dragon and driven back behind the Scarab Wall
Old 10-16-2005, 08:50 AM

Keeper of Lore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KardenTheHunter
Hello, my first post! I'm new here if you can't tell. Anyway, I was on the Warcraft Forums when someone posted a link to this site and I decided to join because I like Warcraft Lore so much.

Anyway, to answer the Qiraji mystery. On the forums, after doing some digging, I found someone who posted an interesting theory on the Qiraji. Here's the post its self. I did not come up with this, I just found it but I think it should help fill in the gaps:

The Qiraji are a master race that come from an evolved form of the insect-like Azi'Aqir. Qiraji were mutated, or subjugated, in ages past by a creatured named C'Thun who was (apparently) an Old God. From what we've seen, the Qiraji themselves are Egyptian in theme. The two official examples were a guardian of the gates to Ahn'Qiraj, Setis, and the new raid boss in Silithus named Emissary Roman'khan.

The Azi'Aqir were one large race in the beginning before the start of the wars against the Troll empires of Kalimdor. Through the long campaigns and the persistence of the Trolls, the Aqir split into two factions: Ahn'Qiraj and Azjol-Nerub. There is some time discrepancy here but apparently this occured about 16,000 years ago before the influence of C'Thun took hold. The Nerubians, who ended up in Northrend, are apparently free of the influence of the Old God.

About 1000 years ago, according to Ralo'Shan, the Eternal Watcher of Staghelm Point, the armies of the Qiraj marched across Kalimdor in an attempt to take the land for themselves. The Night Elves under Fandral Staghelm sought to halt the advance but were thuroughly disenfranchised come the death of Fandral's son, Valstann. The Night Elf armies were pushed back all the way through Un'Goro into Tanaris where the Silithid were abruptly halted by the appearance of a Bronze Dragon.

Some interesting things to note, the Silithid apparently couldn't claim the land in Un'Goro due to some great power. Un'Goro has been postulated to have been the "home" of the Titans when they were shaping Azeroth. There is one hive in Un'Goro, however, and you'll notice it lies in the only part of the map where one of the odd crystal pylons do not exist.

So, to recap:

-Azi'Aqir were the first intelligent, insectoid race.
-Split into Ahn'Qiraj and Azjol'Nerub
-C'Thun (Old God) influenced the Qiraj and gave them a purpose
-The Qiraj built up an army of Silithid that tried to take over Kalimdor
-They got whacked by a Bronze Dragon and driven back behind the Scarab Wall
Yeah there is another topic about that somewhere else in this forum. And yeah, I do believe it's the pylons that are keeping the Silithid at bay. Like you mentioned, the only region in Un'Goro infested with Silithids happens to also be the only region without a pylon.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:19 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

yay to me

If I remember right there's some sort of Pylon type thing in the Silithid Hive in Un'goro that allows you to summon a Bug Queen.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:43 AM

Treant

Sethis isn't a Quiraji, nor is Roman'Khan

What they are is some huge Anubis thing. Heaps of them used to be around Ahn'Quiraj, called Anubisath, but they were removed

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...urajistuff.png

Sorry about the size, I need to compress more and stuff

But they're not Quiraji. That we know at least. Very un-insectoid

And yes, I do believe they are constructs
Old 10-17-2005, 06:17 AM

Mountain Giant

There were only four Old Gods originally.

Quote:
The Pantheon shattered the Old Gods' citadels and chained the four evil gods far beneath the surface of the world. Without the Old Gods' power to keep their raging spirits bound to the physical world, the elementals were banished to an abyssal plane, where they would contend with one another for all eternity. With the elementals' departure, nature calmed, and the world settled into a peaceful harmony. The Titans saw that the threat was contained and set to work.
Taken from Blizzard's online lore

So, uh, you have one extra god on your map.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:29 AM

Keeper of Lore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor
There were only four Old Gods originally.

Taken from Blizzard's online lore

So, uh, you have one extra god on your map.
No, that page is wrong. Believe me. It's also the same page that I believe said Blackhand was WarChief on Draenor.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:48 AM

Loremaster

They also say in one location site you can Visit the burning Steppes, where Grom died......lol.

Trust me, if Blackhand was Warchief on Draenor, the Horde wouldn't have had as much troubled fighting Azeroth. Kilrogg and Cho'gall's attack would have been united, and not reppeled. So it makes MORE sense if it was the way it's supposed to be.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:15 AM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock
No, that page is wrong. Believe me. It's also the same page that I believe said Blackhand was WarChief on Draenor.
Hey, it's not my fault Blizzard can't keep their story straight. To be perfectly honest, I recall it being said somewhere that there were five Old Gods, then again Knaak's recent novel claimed that there were three (one of course was killed for sure, which means that his numbering suggests either there were originally four, or another Old God was killed as you map says). But, Blizz has been known to change little details...

Curses, why can't things be clear with the Warcraft storyline.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:11 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Cuse theres always people telling it ... like our history there are misstakes and lack of knowledge. Like most people in the warcraft world dont know about the dragons and shit.

Bash.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:51 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecheon
Sethis isn't a Quiraji, nor is Roman'Khan

What they are is some huge Anubis thing. Heaps of them used to be around Ahn'Quiraj, called Anubisath, but they were removed

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...urajistuff.png

Sorry about the size, I need to compress more and stuff

But they're not Quiraji. That we know at least. Very un-insectoid

And yes, I do believe they are constructs
anyone remember the war3 sphynx's????

hmmmm.... looks mighty similar... damn splash damage

Littlehoof - Resto Shaman - Mental Atrophy - Bloodhoof

Thrawn - Human Paladin
Old 10-17-2005, 02:09 PM

Keeper of Lore

Cool, never knew the Statue was in there too:

Old 10-17-2005, 09:44 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

http://captainconan.ytmnd.com/

related to the threads about captain planet and the earth/fire/wind/water/heart gods

Littlehoof - Resto Shaman - Mental Atrophy - Bloodhoof

Thrawn - Human Paladin
Old 10-17-2005, 11:00 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Earth,water,wind,fire,heart aren't those also the Elements a Shaman uses?
Old 10-18-2005, 07:32 AM

Hippogryph Rider

dont think its heart ... think its spirit or sprit ( beeing hard liqure in NorwaY).

Bash.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:57 PM

Loremaster

The Wild
Old 10-18-2005, 04:32 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki
The Wild
K , thx

Bash.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:23 AM

Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock
I wouldnt neccesarily go as far as to say that the page is flat out wrong, since there is nothing to this point that tells us that there may have been more than the stated 4 gods. It would also sort of make sense that the 4 old gods had 4 lieutenants.