Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default Greatest doubts in World of Warcraft's lore

Well, this topic is for asking questions which should be answered. You must answer only about things that should be in existing places in WoW, so don't ask about Kul'Tiras, just ask about dissappeared places in existing locations.

Here they go:

-True location for the Broken isles; WTH are those islands, boats or chunks of land?
-Sargeras and the Eredar; Who is the bad guy?
-Garona's origins; half-draeneit at last?
-Retcons during the 2 first wars; I remember to have destroyed Blackrock Spire in the 1st War and Capital City during the 2nd one...
-Day of the dragon timeline; after or before BtDP?
-Sunnyglade, Grand Hamlet, Kyross and Rockard.
- Dark trolls locations; I hope they are in Hyjal at least, anyway, I remember to have seen dark trolls in ashenvale in Warcraft III...
- Frostwolf villages in Alterac Mountains; Not the ones from the battleground, which seems to not appear in the game's cartography.
- Elven Gates & 5 Runestones.
- Vandermar Village; Where is it?
- Nendis; Where?
- Zeth'kur, Telmor and Farahlon (city); Another dissappeared ones...
- Dungeons of Old Hatreds in Warcraft III
- Deadhollow

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-08-2007, 12:45 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
I remember to have destroyed Blackrock Spire in the 1st War and Capital City during the 2nd one...
Because of the campaign-structure of WC1 and expansionless WC2, some of the missions are false by nature.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:47 PM

Elune

I know, but someone should say:

These places were destroyed. These were not. Or how do you know if Altar of Storms or Kyross was destroyed?

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-08-2007, 01:27 PM

Ranger

Garona is not half draenei. First of all she's a rogue,she's not blue,has no hooves or tail. Most of all,Medhiv himself says she is either half human or a near human native to Draenor. Of Note is that Caydiem said draenei w ere near humans but this was before the Ered-draenei who are less then even orcs. As there no near humans native to draenor in the burning crusade that only leaves half human.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:18 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarnks View Post
Garona is not half draenei. First of all she's a rogue,she's not blue,has no hooves or tail. Most of all,Medhiv himself says she is either half human or a near human native to Draenor. Of Note is that Caydiem said draenei w ere near humans but this was before the Ered-draenei who are less then even orcs. As there no near humans native to draenor in the burning crusade that only leaves half human.
Um... what?

She could very easily be half-draenei. The hooves, tail and blue skin could all be recessive genes.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:27 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Um... what?

She could very easily be half-draenei. The hooves, tail and blue skin could all be recessive genes.
The big problem is that Draenei are not near humans and we know she is half near human or half human from Mehdiv in Last guardian. She lacks the rocky forehead,she's too small, and uncorrupted draenei are known to be poor rogues.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:30 PM

Ranger

I have a question. Whats the hell going on with M'ruu. A'ddal must be planning with M'ruu or be the biggest idiot on Outland.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:31 PM

Eternal

What happened to the barrow deeps?
Cenarius Grove?
The Oracle´s cave at Stonetalon?
and almost any other dungeon you visited during WarIII
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:47 PM

Arch-Druid

There is already a half-Draenei half orc in the game. He even says they were a race, but has been almost eradicated:
http://www.blizzplanet.com/content/671/
Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievaldragon View Post
There is already a half-Draenei half orc in the game. He even says they were a race, but has been almost eradicated:
http://www.blizzplanet.com/content/671/
Sadly he is just a reuse of Rend blackhand's model.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:18 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
I know, but someone should say:

These places were destroyed. These were not. Or how do you know if Altar of Storms or Kyross was destroyed?
What the hell is Kyross?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarnks View Post
I have a question. Whats the hell going on with M'ruu. A'ddal must be planning with M'ruu or be the biggest idiot on Outland.
Well you have to admit, its not that easy to make the lore go straight forward in the game, perhaps A'dal hasn't realized yet hes in Silvermoon, he could be thinking he is captured in Netherstorm/Black Temple, perhaps we will found out more later on or wait for a bad excuse from Blizzard? :o)
Old 10-08-2007, 03:36 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Well you have to admit, its not that easy to make the lore go straight forward in the game, perhaps A'dal hasn't realized yet hes in Silvermoon, he could be thinking he is captured in Netherstorm/Black Temple, perhaps we will found out more later on or wait for a bad excuse from Blizzard? :o)
How could he not know? The blood knights are extremely open about their existance and how they got their powers. The Scryers and the Illidari also have blood knights. If he hasn't the blood knights announcing their existance,the scryers or someone else undoubtably told him. He has a portal right next to Silvermoon and a giant army. And they say he can easily create portals practially everywhere. He could save M'ruu without a sweat.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:41 PM

Ranger

There have been several theories about M'ruu

Theory 1.Fitting into the naaru are evil guess. M'ruu could be a timebomb ready to end his life cycle and consume all souls around him

Theory 2.A'dal doesn't actually like M'ruu and is letting him rot.

Theory 3.M'ruu is pretending to be captured. So they can get more troops to kill Scourge and legion or wants to cure the Blood elves.

Theory 4.A'dals is just really really stupid
Old 10-08-2007, 03:41 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
What the hell is Kyross?
Warcraft: Orcs and Humans

Chapter 3: Swamps of Sorrow

With Blackhand's raiding parties routed, now is the time for us to secure a lasting peace in the area around Grand Hamlet. You must seek out the Orcish outpost of Kyross that lies deep within the Swamps of Sorrow, and destroy it.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:47 PM

Druid of the Claw

M'ruu may very well be submitting to the treatment in the name of the greater good. Suffering him/her/itself for the good of aiding the fight of those who would set themselves against the legion, or perhaps hoping that, by it's presence, the blood elves can be eventually brought to the light.

It would both explain why M'ruu is inconsistent with the description that Naruu are capable of taking out cities, as well as be in line with what the light is about- in this case, making a selfless sacrifice.

Or, there's always Occam's razor. M'ruu got captured, is being drained for power and so can't escape on its own, and the other Naruu have their hands too full to help.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:51 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
-True location for the Broken isles; WTH are those islands, boats or chunks of land?
It was said that they have been pulled closer to, if not into, the Maelstrom
Quote:
The Nathrezim are the only other originally demonic race I know of, but it was implied the Old Gods had a hand in it.
Quote:
It's possible she's still half Draenei.
Quote:
-Retcons during the 2 first wars; I remember to have destroyed Blackrock Spire in the 1st War and Capital City during the 2nd one...
The orc campaign of WCI is canon with bits of the human campaign, the human campaign of WCII is canon with bits of the orc campaign. Deal with it.
Quote:
I'd have to say after, seeing as red dragons attacked people even in WCIII.
Quote:
Sunnyglade is implied to be Darkshire, Grand Hamlet is implied to be Raven Hill, Kyross and Rockard were destroyed and only stonard was rebuilt by the new horde.
Quote:
- Dark trolls locations; I hope they are in Hyjal at least, anyway, I remember to have seen dark trolls in ashenvale in Warcraft III...
It's also implied they were subterranean.
Quote:
- Frostwolf villages in Alterac Mountains; Not the ones from the battleground, which seems to not appear in the game's cartography.
WoW is not an accurate retelling of Azeroth's geography.
Quote:
The elfgate is in the ghostlands, and there are still four runestones in Eversong, Scholomance was built over the fifth one.
Quote:
Tirisfal Glades- it is possible it became Deathknell.
Quote:
- Nendis; Where?
Destroyed by Naga, durr.
Quote:
Farahlon became Netherstorm, don't you do the fucking quests? Telmor was destroyed by the orcs, and Zeth'Kur became Zeth'Gor
Quote:
Elaborate, please.
Quote:
- Deadhollow
The RPG book says Deadhollow was renamed after a hero who saved it, perhaps Pyrewood or Ambermill.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:40 PM

Loremaster

[QUOTE=Lon-ami;54956]-Sunnyglade, Grand Hamlet.

Like mentioned, but I felt I would add into it.

Duskwood never used to be Duskwood, it used to be part of Elwynn Forest. The name Duskwood is more recent due to the eternal night that has been cast apon it by the Worgen.

Now it is rumored that Sunnyvale is now the town of Darkshire after the eternal night fell on the woods, and become one of the last safe havens, being protected by the newly formed Night Watch.

Grand Hamlet was razed to the ground by the orcs, and everyone in it was slaughtered. Thus its assumed Grand Hamlet became Raven Hill. It makes sense that one location known for such a huge amount of slaughter would be remade into a massive cemetary to bury all the dead from such a terrible act.

The only thing that challenges some of this, is that Grand Hamlet was attacked before Sunnyvale, which seems impossible by WoW geography, and second, there was a mission in WarCraft 1 called "Darkshire" which means that Sunnyvale and Darkshire could have been seperate towns, though this makes even less sense since Darkshire was attacked near the end of the game as a fortress where footmen and knights trained.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:38 PM

Ranger

It gets even wierder when you consider the fact that A'dal has many blood knights(the scryers being one example) in his employ.

I'm personally betting that by Warcraft 4 there will be a note at the very back of the manual saying M'ruu went back to his home planet,cheap plot device.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:38 PM

Ranger

It gets even wierder when you consider the fact that A'dal has many blood knights(the scryers being one example) in his employ.

I'm personally betting that by Warcraft 4 there will be a note at the very back of the manual saying M'ruu went back to his home planet,cheap plot device.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:25 AM

Eternal

World of Warcraft is not, nor has ever proported to be, geographically sound. Three houses, a church and a barn does not a Tarren Mill make. Just because it's not there doesn't mean it's not there. But this is a game, and that consideration cannot be ignored. Nobody wants to put their character on hold for three months every time they need to sail across the sea. There are villages or hamlets in Warcraft that just won't make it into World of Warcraft, but World of Warcraft does not represent the be all and end all of what is in Warcraft. If it was, the world would be barely populated, with towns that are surpassed by any run of the mill real life farm.

My point here is that a number of places aren't here because you wouldn't want them there.
Quote:
They are pieces of land. I don't know where you would have gotten the idea that they're boats. Have you played Terror of the Tides?
Quote:
Both?
Quote:
I want to make this perfectly clear, and I hope everyone is listening: We don't know, because no one knows, because they have NOT DECIDED YET. We could throw evidence for any number of other halves around all day, and we would be no closer to the answer, because the answer doesn't exist. Everyone loves to cite the PC Accelerator cover to support that she's human, however that cover was connected to an appearance she never made. And you could cite the differences between Garona and a draenei until the kodos come home, but we all know that they'll just change her appearance to match whatever they decide whenever they decide it. Metzen openly admitted that they just did not know what they were going to do with her as recent as the San Diego Con. So honestly, we can't pretend to discuss this with any kind of validity.
Quote:
Really, Lon, this is stuff we've been over a million times. Warcraft I and II had parallel campaigns with different endings. They can't both be correct. So I mean, sure, if you want to cry retcon at it, that's fine, but there's absolutely no way around it so there's no point in doing it. It was unavoidable, we just have to deal with that.
Quote:
Ok, this question they have answered, just a lot of people don't like the answer. Officially: after. Do with that what you will.
Quote:
There is substantial evidence suggesting that Sunnyglade is Darkshire and Grand Hamlet is Raven Hill. Kyross and Rockard were both fairly minor outposts and even if they still exist, might simply not merit inclusion.
Quote:
Are you attempting to claim that Alterac Valley doesn't exist because it's not on the game map?

Everything we know about the Frostwolf clan indicates they kept to themselves through their exile. This would be hard to do if they had a number of villages throughout the mountains. Nothing indicates they had any presence beyond Alterac Valley, which DOES count.
Quote:
Deatholme could be the site of one of the Elfgates. The Runestones, as Gul'dan demonstrated, are powerful artifacts, and three are accounted for in-game. One could easily conclude that the Scourge dismantled/stole the other two, or that they simply don't appear in game.
Quote:
Possibly Deathknell.
Quote:
- Nendis; Where?
Absent.
Quote:
Absent, destroyed, and... ruins of Farahlon? Seriously, most of Draenor is missing. Zeth'kur could very easily have just been on the wrong side of the edge.
Quote:
Again, these just don't merit inclusion. I'm sure there's tons of caves and dungeons and even whole cities we can't get to.
Quote:
- Deadhollow
Deadhollow was invented for the RPG. It's described as a small village in Silverpine. It just didn't make the cut.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 AM

Elune

It's great to see all da replies u have posted

Let's start:

- I say Broken Isles are boats cuz they have moved a lot since War II, and it was suggested they were floating to the Maelstrom.

- All the cities left ruins! Rockard and Kyross, as Telmor and Farahlon, must be somewhere! Perhaps Nethergarde is in Rockard or Kyross, but, anyway, one is dissappeared.

- Sargeras and the Eredar: Officially there's a BIG void between TBC and before TBC histories...

- Garona's origins; It was half human before War II or III, I don't remember, but then they retconned the time between Dark Portal and 1st War end, and Garona lost her 15 years.

-Retcons during the 2 first wars; Someone should say officially what endings are official now.

-Day of the dragon timeline; I hope before, after doesn't make any sense.

- Dark trolls locations; I expect a subterranean Zul'? in Hyjal.

- Frostwolf villages in Alterac Mountains; Should be somewhere outdoor. At least, Alterac Valley should be somewhere like Zul'Farrak and Zul'Gurub are.

- Elven Gates & 5 Runestones. War 3 Maps show 5 runestone in Eversong. Anyway, there were 2 Gates, one could be the one in Ghostlands... And the another?

- Nendis; Was a great port of the east, at least there should be sunken ships or ruins.

-About dungeons of Old hatreds, I don't see anywhere Water tunnels of the goblins, but I see Thunder Ridge and another places.

- And about the renamed towns, we can think all we want, but they should say something official about them...

That's all .

Old 10-10-2007, 09:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

The Broken Isles are boats?
You know islands can't float right?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
The Broken Isles are boats?
You know islands can't float right?
Islands risen by magic from the bottom of the sea can...

We don't know whether the Broken Isles actually float, but I think it's possible.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Well not really, islands just don't float. Gul'dan just raised the seafloor, not made them float. If they do get closer to the Maelstrom its tectonic activity.